TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Delivery Status

Snakehead

My car was "released from plant" on 8/28. Ford CS service told me "released from plant" meant the car was done (including stripes, which was my sprecific question) and gave me a dealer ETA of 9/7. Obviously 9/7 came and went and my delaer couldn't provide any detail.

Yesterday, I spoke with Ralph Arning, who is the service engineer at Ford's "Mustang PVT" (whatever that means). Ralph was fantastic. He clearly loves the car and is delighted to talk about it and assist customers.

This is what I learned:

a) "Released from plant" does not means the car has stripes. In fact, its the reverse.

B) Ford expected approx 1/2 of the GT500s to have stripes. So far, 90% have been ordered with stripes and this has caused a significant bottleneck at the aftermarket stripe installer (a small aftermarket shop that specializes in Mazda modifications). What should take 2 days (for stripes) is taking approximately one week to ten days.

c) 900 cars were held up for quality control and inspected for a serious clutch problem. Six of the 900 cars had the problem. The rest were clean. I didn't think to ask if this remained a continuing problem that required the additional quality checks (sorry).

d) Approximately 3,000 GT500s have been built so far. Ford is averaging about 50 a day now. Total 2007 production will be between 9,000 and 10,000, but anything more would be very unlikely due to significant limitations in the number of core drivetrain components. There are definite limits on the number of available trannys and clutchs. In addition, he said Ford is having a tough time keeping up with production of the engines, which are, for the most part, being hand built.

e) As of yesterday, my particular car was "in transit" and I should realistically expect the car to be at my dealer any day.

f) According to Ralph, Ford is going to great extra lengths on GT500 quality control. There were some initial issues re transport damage, but they have been addressed. Ford would have liked to do individualized closed transit, but with 9,000 plus cars per year the cost would have been prohibitive.

Literally, as I was finishing this post, my dealer called me and said the car came in at 11:30 a.m. today. I am picking it up tonight!

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Vista Blue / White

Kennett Square, PA

Congrats!!!

Enjoy the tire smoking fun..

Tell the dealer NOT to put any of their badges or stickers on it.

Not to put a front license plate on it.

And personally I'd tell them not to clean it and clay bar the rail dust off myself, but that's just my preference so they don't scratch up the paint.

Congrats again!!!

Thanks all.

I do have one immediate question: Is the PDI che3cklist for the GT500 significantly different than on the regular Mustang. My dealer said it wasn't any different and that didn't sound right. I'll give everyone a report on Monday.

Probably just double check everything, it's their flagship vehicle.

I was serious above though, don't let them ugly up your car with their badges and dealer logo crap, and same for the front license plate.

If they put holes in your bumper, put holes in their forehead.

Thanks all.

I do have one immediate question: Is the PDI che3cklist for the GT500 significantly different than on the regular Mustang. My dealer said it wasn't any different and that didn't sound right. I'll give everyone a report on Monday.

snakehead there is specific pdi information to Shelby GT500.

Some of the specific is:

Tire Pressure

Seal on Air Compressor

J10 Reset

There is also a recent TSB

The MY Color is different on Shelby also

There are also about a dozen others specific for the shelby

There are hundreds of little differences between the Shelby GT500 and standard Fair Mustang GT. Its really incredible as to how much different the 06 GT to 07 Shelby Is.

The Shelby GT500 has different spindles, brakes, upper and lower control arms, different sheet metal, sway bars, springs, of course the engine and trans, driveshaft assy, rear axle bearings, ring gear mounting, the a/c system is different, extra support braces in chassis and on and on.

snakehead there is specific pdi information to Shelby GT500.

Some of the specific is:

Tire Pressure

Seal on Air Compressor

J10 Reset

There is also a recent TSB

The MY Color is different on Shelby also

There are also about a dozen others specific for the shelby

There are hundreds of little differences between the Shelby GT500 and standard Fair Mustang GT. Its really incredible as to how much different the 06 GT to 07 Shelby Is.

The Shelby GT500 has different spindles, brakes, upper and lower control arms, different sheet metal, sway bars, springs, of course the engine and trans, driveshaft assy, rear axle bearings, ring gear mounting, the a/c system is different, extra support braces in chassis and on and on.

This is awesome information... what is J10 reset and with is the recent TSB??

Thanks for your insight..

Bert

My car was "released from plant" on 8/28. Ford CS service told me "released from plant" meant the car was done (including stripes, which was my sprecific question) and gave me a dealer ETA of 9/7. Obviously 9/7 came and went and my delaer couldn't provide any detail.

Yesterday, I spoke with Ralph Arning, who is the service engineer at Ford's "Mustang PVT" (whatever that means). Ralph was fantastic. He clearly loves the car and is delighted to talk about it and assist customers.

This is what I learned:

Kennett Square, PA

Wow, all excellent info, great post...and congrats on the new car. Now we'll want pics of course.

Dave :bandance:

Ralph Arning, and you will likely need the last name. 7347827800

And he is the best source of info, besides this site, I have found.

Ralph has been awesome.... even with everyone calling to find out where there cars are. He gave me all the details I could ever want on mine as well. He is a genuine car guy from his comments and has respect for the situation we are in with the delays. Definitely an asset to Ford...

>> any way we can get together and show our appreciation for him?? anyone got any ideas....

He joked with me that maybe he should be compensated by this site for all the traffic he is bringing in...

Bert

Ralph has been awesome.... even with everyone calling to find out where there cars are. He gave me all the details I could ever want on mine as well. He is a genuine car guy from his comments and has respect for the situation we are in with the delays. Definitely an asset to Ford...

>> any way we can get together and show our appreciation for him?? anyone got any ideas....

He joked with me that maybe he should be compensated by this site for all the traffic he is bringing in...

Bert

It's a bit of a catch-22. Sometimes recognition is the best reward...so a first thought is to write a letter to Ford. However, drawing attention to the fact that he is helping us may have unintended negative consequences. This is a tough call. Perhaps it would be better to thank him only...not tell Ford anything. We could route a "thank you" card by each person writing a short paragraph in Microsoft Word, having one person on the forum keep the master copy and put them all in one document, and then send it to him in a letter.

I've not used Ralph's help yet, but I may need him in the future. I'm good with Microsoft Word and would be glad to consolidate all the comments...I can even cut and paste from right here in the forum. We could even put some photos in with the letter. Someone would have to get his exact mailing address to make this successful though.

Dave

It's a bit of a catch-22. Sometimes recognition is the best reward...so a first thought is to write a letter to Ford. However, drawing attention to the fact that he is helping us may have unintended negative consequences. This is a tough call. Perhaps it would be better to thank him only...not tell Ford anything. We could route a "thank you" card by each person writing a short paragraph in Microsoft Word, having one person on the forum keep the master copy and put them all in one document, and then send it to him in a letter.

I've not used Ralph's help yet, but I may need him in the future. I'm good with Microsoft Word and would be glad to consolidate all the comments...I can even cut and paste from right here in the forum. We could even put some photos in with the letter. Someone would have to get his exact mailing address to make this successful though.

Dave

Hi Dave... I agree... I don't want to make Ralph the leak!!! He if very helpful and will answer any question you have... at least that is how he treated me. I do like your idea of putting together messages back to him from those he has helped... would be great to get him to any reunion there is to!! He certainly has pride in his job...

Bert

Congrats on the new arrival, Snakehead!

I know that about right now you are loving your new ride, I know I am. My Perf. White/Vista Blue was delivered sometime in the very early am yesterday, and was at the dealer before they opened. I was omg crazy excited.

And I must say the car is awesome in every aspect... you have no idea until ya drive it.

About Ralph, he is (I think) the most knowledgeable guy in reference to anything you need to know about your new Shelby, I called him on 2 occasions, and on both he was extremely polite, helpful, and understanding of the PSDS issues we all have at one point or another. I would love to thank him for all of his help. Seems to be a great guy all around. So, I guess we should start a new topic maybe titled Thanks, Ralph or something to that effect...

I know first hand that kind words from others really mean alot to people, I think he would appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Theresa :shift:

Archived