TEAM SHELBY FORUM

powerlease option value

34z28

Just curious what someone would pay for a powerlease option? the option to buy the GT500 is transferable, you get to order in front of everyone else. Given the crazy price I saw on ebay the dealer was getting for a GT500 over MSRP it just made me wonder what the powerlease option was worth?

From what Three Cobras has said about the PowerLease option, while you can sell your spot in line for the option, the option itself doesn't guarantee you any sort of price. You may very well still have to pay the ADM's that dealers are looking to charge.

That is correct the powerlease option will only get you into the game. What I have found with the dealers I have talked with is they are willing to sell the car at MSRP since the powerlease option car will not come out of their allocation and you have the power to walk to the next dealer.

I'd be interested to know that too, but unless I opt out of the GT500 I can't tell you.

1. Yes, it's a placeholder that pushes you into a pool with others in the same boat. It doesn't pre-empt anyone who's on other lists, so no death threats please. SVT, from my conversations with several folks, has always viewed this as a previous committment tacked on to the regular production run. This is probably why you hear a low figure of 7000 from some sources, 7500 from others. If I recall correctly (look at the SVT website under 2004 news), they had 500 Powerleases available though only about 300 actually were taken by folks like me.

2. It's true that it doesn't count against any dealer's allocation, but as I've said elsewhere my original dealer didn't seem to care - probably still doesn't since he's not called back this week.

3. I shopped around and found a Focus SVT dealer who was happy to work with me after he checked out the story (I'm sure he was wondering who this moron is who wants a GT500 below MSRP!). According to the salesman, the owner said "why wouldn't we do this? It doesn't count against our allocation and is a car we wouldn't sell otherwise. It may generate future business." I also pointed out he'd be getting an 04 Cobra to resell (you don't have to take it back to the original lease dealer), and it will undoubtedly help follow-on allocations if he sells more cars than the number he's allocated while others like him sell only the number they get. In short, I negotiated and packaged it. If anyone's in the same place I am I'll be happy to pass the salesman's number - he'd love more guys like me. He likes the fact that I know so much about the subject. That said, I'm still prepared to continue shopping if there's some last minute bait and switch. This is the biggest advantage Powerlease gives you - you have the allocation, you decide who'll have the privelege of selling it to you. You don't have them by the 'nads, of course, but you have lots of options at the moment.

4. You have to use it the 2007 model year, but not necessarily the instant the order banks open.

With all of this said, I would expect to get $2K to sell the option. A dealer might pay more. This is just a guess, I have not pursued this other than as a Plan B. The salesman keeps telling me I'm getting a deal and should turn around and flip it right away. Tempting as that might be, if I order it it will be for me, period. Like I said, no death threats. I'm with all of you who are not speculators, you just want something great to drive. And none of this 'old fart, boomer' crap. Just remember, I've reached this age. There's no guarantee you will.

Archived