TEAM SHELBY FORUM

There's a New Pony in Grabbers Stable

Grabber

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow Grabby, you're like the best dad ever! :happy feet:

While most kids are stuck inside playing video games and being ignored by their parents, you're teaching your kid some of the most valuable skills that will stick with him for the rest of his life.

StratGirl,

My kid plays his share of video games....I can gaurentee you that my dear. Too much if you ask me, but he says I post to much too. :poke:

:rolleyes:

David enjoys learning about his Mustang and I enjoy teaching him, so it allows us to spend a few hours every month together. It is quality time in my book and I will plan much more of this stuff for us including TS events and meet and greets and car shows.

The sun is out today. :happy feet: ....So David and I are going out cruising in his 96 GT to work in the new rear end "Royal Purple" rear diff fluid and brand new tranny fluid that we installed last week end. :shift:

We will also make a trip to the auto parts store for another afternoon project and we have another mod planned for his car today.

:yahoo: Today is going to be another great day for Father & Son Mustang Freaks. :hysterical:

:)

After we went riding around for an hour in the GTS, I showed David how to flush his cooling system today. We did 2 flushes after running the car for 15 minutes each time to get it up to warm running temp. David then filled his system with new coolant.

MustangGTS351.jpg

MustangGTS353.jpg

MustangGTS354.jpg

MustangGTS370.jpg

MustangGTS371.jpg

MustangGTS374.jpg

My son has a 1996 Forest Green GT and he was looking online at a local dealer just down the street and found a 1996 Convertible with 9,700 miles!!!! Man what did they do do keep this car in the plastic wrapper?

What was the price tag on that car ?

Very clean 96. That car was around 21K new in 1996 I suspect. Darn near impossible to find one with that low of miles. Thanks for the pic's. However....I'm not a fan of the brown interior and wood grain look. Is that wood grain look factory or is it a interior aftermarket modification.

David, that is a very cool car! You should be proud. I love the red calipers, I did that on my truck.

BTW a set of springs and some cobra wheels would set it off nicely. :happy feet:

Very clean 96. That car was around 21K new in 1996 I suspect. Darn near impossible to find one with that low of miles. Thanks for the pic's. However....I'm not a fan of the brown interior and wood grain look. Is that wood grain look factory or is it a interior aftermarket modification.

It appears to be aftermarket. I haven't ever seen the wood grain on SN-95s. Also, if you look near the top of the gauge cluster, the woodgrain does not meet up on both sides, all of the aftermarket pieces I have seen, do this. I prefer it without as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

This evening I showed my son David how to change his oil and oil filter. He did all the work...and I must say I was surprized that he did not make a mess. He even removed the filter with out getting any oil on the shop floor. I'm still amazed. The car now has 28,852 miles on it. We have only put 300 miles on it since I bought it last summer. I have showed david how to change all the fluids in the car now. Cooling, tranny, rear dif and now the oil. He enjoys the hands on work and to be honest with you...I enjoy teaching him. :)

The oil drain plug was on pretty tight so I had to give him a bigger rachet to get it loose. David even got the hang of using the filter wrench. I took a lot of pictures as usual....and they will be fun to look at in the years to come. After we were finished, we took the car for a spin. This car is just like new.

David is still 14 and will be 15 years old on Sept. 15th. He has read the drivers manual and wants to take drivers education after he turns 15. After he takes drivers ed, hecan get a permit at age 15-1/2. :shift:

Here are the pic's from David's first oil change.

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

David is now schooled up and completed the following on his car. He did all the work too (except the tires and alignment). This list does not include a few of the fun mods we have done to the car. We are looking forward to doing some more work to this car. :happy feet:

Washing:

MustangGTarrival7-14-08064.jpg

Tire replacement & alignment:

MustangGTS027.jpg

Engine detailing:

MustangGTS051.jpg

Clay bar:

MustangGTS066.jpg

Brake caliper painting:

BrakeCaliperPaintProject013.jpg

Interior detailing:

MustangGTS271.jpg

Wipers:

MustangGTS281.jpg

Rear diff fluid change:

MustangGTS346.jpg

Tranny fluid change:

MustangGTS347.jpg

Cooling fluid flush and change:

MustangGTS374.jpg

Next on our list is to detail the under side of the car (rear diff), we also are going to put a layer of nice carnuba car wax. It has been fun working and in a way bonding with the car. The more work I do to it the more it really feels like its my car. :peelout:

Hi David! Glad to see you're on your way to being a real car guy! I know you're making your dad proud in many ways and this is just one of them. Your 'stang is really sweet!!! Best of luck with her ;-)

Dan

Good job David and Rob. My dad was never interested in teaching me anything. Had to learn it all on my own. Remember these times David.

My 11 year old is really starting to show interest in cars and Mustangs in particular so we have been spending time at car shows and such. He was rather upset I didnt take him to the 86th bash, but I did take him to the 427 race.

I hope to see you at an event sometime David.

It felt good to finally get to change the oil in a car myself. I have gone out and helped my dad, but never actually gotten to do it myself. I have spent about 15 minutes cleaning my hands and there are still bits of oil under my nails. :cry:

Good form, David. You're one of us. Ask your dad to pick up a box of the gloves that techs wear these days to keep their hands clean. (knowing him - I'm surprised he doesn't use them!) :happy feet:

• 4 weeks later...
Good form, David. You're one of us. Ask your dad to pick up a box of the gloves that techs wear these days to keep their hands clean. (knowing him - I'm surprised he doesn't use them!) :happy feet:

Good point Ruf.

I have to wear them all day at work because it is a safety policy so I'm used to wearing them. As long as they are tight and grippy...they work great.

I gotta get us some for the shop.

Archived