TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend Slams the 2008 Shelby GT - Again!

I don't think any of the 3 articles are that bad.

It seems MT's main knock is that SGTs are overpriced at MSRP. They probably are when compared to MSRP for GT500s. However, most people are buying SGTs at huge discounts.

At discount prices, SGTs are a great value, for a very good car, IMO.

I don't have a problem with what MT said. Other than the part about the stereo it was spot on. The cars are way slow for the money. The ride is harsh and bumpy and the shifter is extremely notchy. The one and only reason I bought mine was because it was a Shelby. If it had not had Shelby badging I would not have purchased it. That being said, I do love the car even with it's shortcomings.

I saw that article also. What gets me is that MT focuses so greatly on their negative opinions of the Shelby GT. If its so bad, why have so many people purchased them, even in spite of high ADM's in some cases, and love them, including the folks that we pass on the roads and meet in the parking lots? What about the Shelby heritage? My only guess is that the MT road testers are disgruntled, depressed Subie owners; I can't think of any other explanation.

I don't think any of the 3 articles are that bad.

It seems MT's main knock is that SGTs are overpriced at MSRP. They probably are when compared to MSRP for GT500s. However, most people are buying SGTs at huge discounts.

At discount prices, SGTs are a great value, for a very good car, IMO.

I agree, it seems the biggest knock is the price. If they knew what you could get one for I am sure they would call it a bargain.

50K is a bit high I would agree,The shifter,When installed in any S197 rattles.It is a convertible and will OBVIOUSLY be a little noisy especially when equipped with the FRPP suspension.Me thinks they couldn't get chicks with it and that really shows how SCARY they are.I wonder if any of the articles pointed out that they could lay rubber and hang curves pretty well.Or,it attracted so much damn attention that they got tired of it and decided to slam the car.Sure it isn't perfect.I really don't think for the content involved that 50K would be a nice price.BUT,They are unique and absolutely fun cars to drive.M/T?Not!

69dejavue that's a good one on the white car.

There were 30 or 31 of those Bold Moves on thye Ford site last year. They are all good to watch. Once at #9 you can find the others too. I will eventually post some of them on my blog since Ford removed them from their site. #3 or 4 is another good one with Carroll in it.

Coldy good idea for all. I have some saved but not yet all. For anyone that wants to save the files go to download.com and search for youtubedownloader. This is an awesome and free software which allows you to download any youtube video then converts to many different formats. Enjoy. <br />For anyone concerned about downloading files from download.com no worries they are really good about making sure there is no malware or spyware on the posted software.

Coldy good idea for all. I have some saved but not yet all. For anyone that wants to save the files go to download.com and search for youtubedownloader. This is an awesome and free software which allows you to download any youtube video then converts to many different formats. Enjoy. <br />For anyone concerned about downloading files from download.com no worries they are really good about making sure there is no malware or spyware on the posted software.

If you use Safari you can simply find the video in the Activity window, found under the Window menu, double clicking on it will download it to your downloads folder. No other tool needed.

Additionally, if you don't want to hassle with flash videos and go through another conversion, This is kind of an interesting tip, courtesy of the Google Operating System blog:

An interesting side-effect of YouTube's recent push for higher quality videos is that most videos can be downloaded as MP4 files directly from YouTube. Until now, you could only get FLV files from your browser's cache or using one of the many websites that let you download YouTube videos. In fact, to download the MP4 files, you need to use the same URL like for FLV files and append "&fmt=18" to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=...TURE&fmt=18

ID is the video's identification value, SIGNATURE is a value that prevents you from downloading the file just by knowing the ID. You could create this URL by looking at the source code of a YouTube page, but it's much easier to automatically generate it.

One way is to save the following link as a bookmarklet by dragging it to your Links bar (in Firefox, Opera) or right-clicking and adding it to your favorites (in Internet Explorer)....

I wish all the online video sites would switch to MP4. There's nothing more useless than a FLV file!

The first Motor Trend article on the 08 convertible SGT was rather nice "Suddenly it's 1968... where's my Jimi Hendrix?" all revelling in the nostalgia the SGT created at the time.

Now they have changed their tune...

Interestingly it was Motor Trend who rated the SGT-C better than the Saleen or Roush

:confused:

:hysterical: For all it's worth, the car impressed us so much that we bought it. I was going to get a GT 500 but was impressed with the handling on the SGT. The fact that it was a limited production also helped me make the choice. So whatever MT has to say has no impression on me. And they are right about the mysterious rattle in the back. I have had my exhaust replaced and it still does it. Oh well I still love my car and so does everyone else that stares at it like it is talking to them...ha ha

Most of the issues raised in this review and the others are Mustang issues not Shelby issues while the author has already pointed out they usually review trucks and SUVs I think. So take it with a grain of salt and I really wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

I could care less what other people think, especially MT magazine! I bought my SGT because I liked it,

not because of what other people think of it! Right now I think MT has caught Challenger fever and can't

see anything else! In a recent article they compared the Challenger to a GT500. Even though the GT500

out performed the Challenger in each test, they still said the Challenger is a better car! WTF! To each his

own ... I love my Shelby GT!

Kevin

07SGT2591

There are different writers at Motor Trend, and Motor Trend did make the Shelby GT, pony of the year. and others like Matt Stone love the car, So I would just chalk this up to someone who isn't into our cars much.

Amy

did you notice the csm#?

it was 07GT02C

what does the "C" stand for ? CONCEPT?

there is no 2C the car MT has is 999, if you have a picture of a 2c, please email it to me, thanks

In a recent article they compared the Challenger to a GT500. Even though the GT500

out performed the Challenger in each test, they still said the Challenger is a better car! WTF! To each his

own ... I love my Shelby GT!

Kevin

07SGT2591

The Challenger did beat the GT500 at stopping!

"The Challenger did beat the GT500 at stopping!"

Yea by one whole foot! 117ft to 118ft!

They also said the GT500 had, and I quote, "archaic chassis and whiney motor" Yet it beat the

Challenger in lateral accelaration and figure eight with the "archaic chassis" and beat the same

Challenger in acceleration to mph, passing 45-65, and quater mile with the "whiney motor"! :hysterical:

Wonder how much Dodge paid them for that review? :censored:

Kevin

07SGT2591

I don't have a problem with what MT said. Other than the part about the stereo it was spot on. The cars are way slow for the money. The ride is harsh and bumpy and the shifter is extremely notchy. The one and only reason I bought mine was because it was a Shelby. If it had not had Shelby badging I would not have purchased it. That being said, I do love the car even with it's shortcomings.

Have you ever considered selling "your" SGT? What is "your" CSM number, I think I have a buyer.

Maybe you might consider selling.....after all it is slow, harsh, bumpy, notchy shifting and you forgot it was way too much $coin especially just for some SHELBY badging! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

EDITED:

"The Challenger did beat the GT500 at stopping!"

Yea by one whole foot! 117ft to 118ft!

They also said the GT500 had, and I quote, "archaic chassis and whiney motor" Yet it beat the

Challenger in lateral accelaration and figure eight with the "archaic chassis" and beat the same

Challenger in acceleration to mph, passing 45-65, and quater mile with the "whiney motor"! :hysterical:

Wonder how much Dodge paid them for that review? :censored:

Kevin

07SGT2591

You are aware that biased testers can do whatever they want with their stats. Been doing it for years. The whiney motor is the supercharger, talk about idiots. The KR will get 1g in lateral acceleration with its archaic chassis.

The need to continued road testing their mini-vans and crossovers. They have no idea.

Archived