TEAM SHELBY FORUM

PUSH ROD & MODULAR MOTORS

HI ALL,, I'M A NEW SGT OWNER BUT NOT A NEW MUSTANG LOVER. I'VE BEEN SORT OF DOING A CRASH

COURSE ON THE TERMINOLOGY OF MUSTANG MOTORS NEW AND OLD. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME

WHAT EXACTLY THEY MEAN WHEN THEY REFER TO THE OLDER 5.0 MOTORS AS PUSHROD AND THE

NEWER 4.6 AS A MODULAR MOTOR? WHAT DOES PUSHROD AND MODULAR DESCRIBE? THNX TO

ANY ANSWERS

The 5.0 was the last pushrod V-8 generally offered in the Mustang. The pushrod ilself is a part of the engine that responds to the single cam shaft, used to open the intake and exhaust valves. It's like this (highly simplified):

Camshaft lobe lifts the "lifter"

Lifter is connected to rocker via "pushrod"

Lifter pushes the pushrod up, connecting to the rocker arm

Rocker arm opens valve

Valve spring closes valve

For Mustangs specifically, in 1996 the new Modular (mod) motors eliminated the pushrod design by placing the cam directly over the valves, thus SOHC and DOHC...single and dual overhead cam designs.

Again this is a simplified explanation, but hopefully you get the idea.

Though many parts are interchangable between modular engines, the term "modular" actually refers to the quick change adaptability of the engine production line. Read more here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

You beat me! yeah, it's my understanding that this design methodology allows for a wider application without having to retool and or major design work. The engines is modularized, to the extent it can be, so it can be easily and inexpensively adapted to different uses. Anyone know where out engine has been used elsewhere?

You beat me! yeah, it's my understanding that this design methodology allows for a wider application without having to retool and or major design work. The engines is modularized, to the extent it can be, so it can be easily and inexpensively adapted to different uses. Anyone know where out engine has been used elsewhere?

Yeah the V/10 engine puts out 362 HP with 3 valves and is used in the truck line.

Archived