TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

Got the SGT back this morning with its new scoop. It looks better than the original.

No major issues to report. I did notice that the stripe at the back of the scoop is off 1mm. You can see it if you look down the center and eyeball it. I did measure it at 1mm. I don't think its enough to worry about. I don't know, time will tell.

Unless something has changed those don't look like SPP stripes and they look to have been cut with a razor while on the car. Is it just the picture? There also don't look as though there aren't any washer nozzle cut outs which tells me they are not SPP stripes. Were they supposed to be? Did you go 3rd party?

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Unless something has changed those don't look like SPP stripes and they look to have been cut with a razor while on the car. Is it just the picture? There also don't look as though there aren't any washer nozzle cut outs which tells me they are not SPP stripes. Were they supposed to be? Did you go 3rd party?

I did not have the stripes replaced, just the scoop.

The color of the new scoop is off just a bit from the color of the original stripes. I figure due to some fading of the stripes.

I did not have the stripes replaced, just the scoop.

The color of the new scoop is off just a bit from the color of the original stripes. I figure due to some fading of the stripes.

Did you buy the car new? They don't look like the right stripes at all between the lack of the washer cut-outs which ALL SGT's have, and the jagged line of the stripes, they just don't look right. :headscratch:

Anyone else see what I'm seeing?

Well, thats the plan anyway.

Its just really nice that its down to the hood all the way around. You could see light coming through the bottom before. And the more I look at it, there IS a color difference between the new scoop and the old stripes.

Edited by jnj3891

Yeah, bought it new w/120 miles on it. They are the stripes that SAI put on. The cutouts for the washer nozzles are there. They are off a bit, but thats the way it came from SAI.

OK, it;'s the pictures then...I think what I thought were jagged stripes was just wax buildup along the stripe. I don't think anyone is going to notice a 1mm difference unless you point it out. Looks good to me!

Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...

Ordered my new stripes and scoop back in November. Ford dealership called on thursday and they are both still "back ordered" Thinking of going with an aftermarket hood and having stripes painted on. Not great service from the blue oval folks.

Ordered my new stripes and scoop back in November. Ford dealership called on thursday and they are both still "back ordered" Thinking of going with an aftermarket hood and having stripes painted on. Not great service from the blue oval folks.

Regardless of swapping the hood you'll want to get the updated scoop for the future. Painted on stripes are nice but $$$ you can easily match the vinyl and re-stripe the entire care for less than $800 where to paint all the stripes would be $2000+ depending upon how good etc. You don't say what year your car is but if it's an 07 the stripes will look different and be of a different material than the rest of the car. When I went through this, and saw that, I had them apply the Ford labor $$$ and pull all the stripes off and redo them with the same material but cut and applied at a local auto graphics company that way the entire car matched.

Just some info. My stripes were sopost to be send out last Monday. They didn't get sent till this Tuesday, as of Friday mt stripes were still not at the dealer. I called Ford Racing , and they told me they were sent but can't give me a tracking number, because the supplier hasn't e-mailed it to them. I hope they get a new stripe supplier soon cause this is b.s.

called the 800 number to Ford today and they told me that the dealer should have my scoop but the stripes are a differents story.

I had the rear stripes done this summer on the trunk lid, rear bumper etc and now gettting the hood and top done to, a. fix the scoop issue, b. so all the stripes will match. Evidently the dealer waited until Jan 4th to call Ford back some questions they had on the stripes. The dealer has a new service manager who is really not making friends with Customers or the staff. Hey Mr.Farris are you listening? So I will pay her a visit tomorrow to inquire why it took from November to Jan. to get back to Ford with my warranty info. Anyway looks like I will wait for the hood to be redone as I just dropped some $$ for new rotors, stainless lines and pads.

• 2 weeks later...

scoop is in!! Stripes are still back ordered:( Good news though, I worked it out with the dealer to have my stripes painted on. I will pay the difference in price for the vinyl installation and getting them painted on. The whole car is getting done. In addition the scoop will be functional:) I'll post pictures at the end of the week when it is done.

scoop is in!! Stripes are still back ordered:( Good news though, I worked it out with the dealer to have my stripes painted on. I will pay the difference in price for the vinyl installation and getting them painted on. The whole car is getting done. In addition the scoop will be functional:) I'll post pictures at the end of the week when it is done.

Sweet. IMO that's doing it right! :salute:

Sweet. IMO that's doing it right! :salute:

Dealer has new scoop & the hood off the car, then realized stripes were not with the shipment. Still awaiting stripes. Dealership is great though keeping the car indoors while it sits. Battery went dead so hopefully they can replace after taking the TSB for that to service department.

Edited by 07CSM0260

Dealer has new scoop & the hood off the car. Then realised stripes were not with the shippment. Still awaiting stripes. Dealership is great hough keeping the car indoors while it sits. Battery went dead so hopefully they can replace afer taking the TSB for that to service department.

Hey Jon!

Let me know how everything turns out and what dealership did the work... I have until early April before my 3-year warranty expires... THANKS!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Hey Jon!

Let me know how everything turns out and what dealership did the work... I have until early April before my 3-year warranty expires... THANKS!

Gregg

07SGT0547

I'm coming to the end of warr also and I'm so confused as to what/were/how on this. I don't want to say I should have down the road but I'm scared to give 182 to an uncaring dealer. I also don't want them keeping the car for a long period of time.

Mike

I'm coming to the end of warr also and I'm so confused as to what/were/how on this. I don't want to say I should have down the road but I'm scared to give 182 to an uncaring dealer. I also don't want them keeping the car for a long period of time.

Mike

First of all file a claim. Then work with the dealer, providing them all the information here, and get the car to a good quality body shop to get the work done and billed back to the dealer. be prepared to pay the difference if needed. Last don't hand over the car until ALL parts are IN HAND.

Mike

Mike,

My gut feeling all along has been to spend the $500 for the Chip Beck Scoop and have it done at a local body shop of my choice... That way, I can have everything done to my satisfaction, rather than just the warranty specifications AND get to keep my original scoop to hang on my garage wall... Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned :shift:

Not to mention, I have already done a few "mods" to my faux fasteners that might cause "problems" when the dealer starts to work on it... Don't think they'd appreciate me bringing in the just the hood with the original scoop already removed :headscratch:

Gregg

Mike,

My gut feeling all along has been to spend the $500 for the Chip Beck Scoop and have it done at a local body shop of my choice... That way, I can have everything done to my satisfaction, rather than just the warranty specifications AND get to keep my original scoop to hang on my garage wall... Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned :shift:

Not to mention, I have already done a few "mods" to my faux fasteners that might cause "problems" when the dealer starts to work on it... Don't think they'd appreciate me bringing in the just the hood with the original scoop already removed :headscratch:

Gregg

I just sent Wendy and Bud an E-mail asking how much for a painted and striped "Deep Draw" . After reading all 30+ pages, which took all day, I will do a CB Scoop if the Deep Draw is too much. F the dealers, they have never made anything easy for me accept taking my money. I know warr blah blah blah but life is to short. I want what I want, with as little down time as possible, so I must pay...........................................happily : ) Have you seen any Smurfs : 0

smurfs.jpg

Mike

smurfs.jpg

I just sent Wendy and Bud an E-mail asking how much for a painted and striped "Deep Draw" . After reading all 30+ pages, which took all day, I will do a CB Scoop if the Deep Draw is too much. F the dealers, they have never made anything easy for me accept taking my money. I know warr blah blah blah but life is to short. I want what I want, with as little down time as possible, so I must pay...........................................happily : ) Have you seen any Smurfs : 0

smurfs.jpg

Mike

Wow... reading my mind, Mike... I just wanna switch hoods to the Deep Draw, and then get the stripes painted on the whole car! Worries over.

Too bad, though... I still love my old hood, wish we coulda stayed happily together forever.

Wow... reading my mind, Mike... I just wanna switch hoods to the Deep Draw, and then get the stripes painted on the whole car! Worries over.

Too bad, though... I still love my old hood, wish we coulda stayed happily together forever.

Before the Chip Beck scoop, my initial thought was to put the GT-H hood on and have the stripes painted... But the cost (hood, shipping, prep, paint, etc) was too prohibitive at the time...

So I just gave up and did it my way for the time being... And except for the slight dip in the scoop itself, everything else is just fine... So I will probably leave it alone for now...

But when I do win the Power Ball, look out :spend:

Superchargers and New Hoods for EVERYONE!!!

Gregg

07SGT0547

I've had my latest generation SA scoop now for almost a year.

It sat this past summer in the hot sun at car shows and now in the cold garage during a Chicago winter. No special screws, or countersink rivnuts (though I wish it did they're cool), and it still looks great!

Do I wish it were easier to install, sure, but when done right with care and following the tips and tricks here, it looks great!

File under for what it's worth....

DSCN1346.JPG

DSCN1344a.JPG

DSCN1346.JPG

DSCN1344a.JPG

Movie quote..............."America........F^(% Yah!"

Yes, I've been drinkn.

Mike

hahahhaha

I see some have gone with a functionial Hood Scoop and using the 4th Gen Scoop. I am thinking the same thing. However, I am going to try to find a way to set up a ram air system. I have two 04 Mach 1 ram air system packed away.

Seem's, to me, I should be about to use the ST-bracing, Bottom of the Mach's Shaker, inlet tubing, water drain hose's and then to a cut/out to the Shelby's stock Air Filter.

Worth a try, I would say - Doc.

Edited by Naa-V-Doc

Doc, I don't know if that's possible with the SA scoops.

Something makes me say no but it's been a year since I had mine installed. The block off plate faux grill can be removed but I think there's more to it. But I can't remember. I maybe wrong and I'm sure someone will chime in one way or the other.

That said the scoop sold by Chip Beck's friend Heath is perfect for a functional application and I hear perfect to help cool a supercharger.

Regardless though of which scoop you use in the case of RAM air there are some threads on this and some experiences and experiments other members have done.

Also you need to consider the car's CAI you don't want to just start channeling a bunch of air down to the CAI...ask some of the early Super Snake owners how that can work. Which may mean going back to the box with the forced air coming in, which may effect the tune, and so on, so I think you're on the right track doing some research first and asking questions.

I like where you're going but it's my understanding there's more to consider here. There are a lot of threads on the topic of a functional scoop (depending of course on what you consider functional) if you search for "scoop" and "Beck" you should find them. I'm sure a lot of your questions will be answered or may give you food for some more specific questions tailored to your specific goals for the car.

Got a call from my dealer today saying that Ford wants them to replace the scoop on my 08 SGT convertible. Have any 08 owners had a problem with their scoops? Mine is OK as far as I know. I'll also have them address the A-pillar rattle, exhaust rattle and discolored hood pin lanyards while I'm there.