TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

Anyone know where to get the hood scoop fix done in the PHOENIX area?

I got the car from Charlotte NC but live in the west valley area of Phoenix. I took it to Sunset Ford on Bell. They 'negotiated' with Ford and then called to say they would not be doing it. They didn't want to be responsible if something went wrong and Ford would not back them up.

If anyone in the Phoenix area has had it done please sound off.

If the new flange is 1/16" wider I think I can retain my current stripes...We'll see.

I'm 5 hours from Shelby in Vegas and have a place to stay there. Will SAI do it?

GREG

Anyone know where to get the hood scoop fix done in the PHOENIX area?

I got the car from Charlotte NC but live in the west valley area of Phoenix. I took it to Sunset Ford on Bell. They 'negotiated' with Ford and then called to say they would not be doing it. They didn't want to be responsible if something went wrong and Ford would not back them up.

If anyone in the Phoenix area has had it done please sound off.

If the new flange is 1/16" wider I think I can retain my current stripes...We'll see.

I'm 5 hours from Shelby in Vegas and have a place to stay there. Will SAI do it?

GREG

Greg,

Go to anther dealer in the area. Worse case have the dealer file the claim and get the parts and follow the process I outlined some messages above.

-Jeff

Took my car to Tasca today for the scoop replacement. Here are some photos that I took while there. The first two are of my new scoop, and the others are of some cars there, etc. The new Lincoln MKS was nice! The intake was a nice piece also; it had been provided to the mod shop by a vendor - the maf is 100mm.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

It's very strange not having my Shelby GT at home, in the garage.....I think I'm having withdrawal pains..... :huh:

Trust me, it'll be worth the wait. I waited for mine over the Christmas holidays only to receive it after the New Year. It was well worth the wait. My new scoop is awesome!

downsized_0115091706.jpg

The scoop to the right is off an '07 late production that was riveted from the factory, the scoop to the left is my second scoop with the "pillow" above. At the time I had it replaced in March of last year, it was suppose to be the new and approved version.

That scoop on the right is my old one. I was going to post my pics, but mine looks just like Carl's. Doesn't that look great?

This was my first scoop install and I believe it's the last one.

Yes, already painted silver - you can see it on one of posts, above. They also send a strip of the white tape that goes down the middle of the scoop.

Yes, already painted silver - you can see it on one of posts, above. They also send a strip of the white tape that goes down the middle of the scoop.

Both willyumm930 and I had our shop paint the stripes on and clear over the whole scoop. We had to pay out of pocket, but it looks fantastic....

Great, thanks! I have already purchased the Heath/Beck scoop, and based on Carl's results I've seen here, I'm going to give the warranty "first shot" then use the H/B as a sort of back-up plan. (i.e: A take-off hood, modified with functional H/B scoop, painted appropriately)

Sam

AKA:

Great, thanks! I have already purchased the Heath/Beck scoop, and based on Carl's results I've seen here, I'm going to give the warranty "first shot" then use the H/B as a sort of back-up plan. (i.e: A take-off hood, modified with functional H/B scoop, painted appropriately)

Sam

AKA:

How much did the H/B scoop cost?

Update - on Wednesday my old scoop and striping had been removed, and the striping guy was coming in to lay out for the new stripes. Currently I'm scheduled to pick up the car on Sat. 1/31. Once installed, the stripes need to "cure" for at least 3 days. I wish I could visit to see her, but she's too far away...

Update - on Wednesday my old scoop and striping had been removed, and the striping guy was coming in to lay out for the new stripes. Currently I'm scheduled to pick up the car on Sat. 1/31. Once installed, the stripes need to "cure" for at least 3 days. I wish I could visit to see her, but she's too far away...

I have an appointment with Auto Arts in NC on three weeks. I'm considering having the hood stripes painted and the hood clear coated before he puts the scoop on. That way I won't have to worry about the stripe wrinkles anymore. Think this is a good idea? Since I plan to keep the car a long time I can then have the rest of the stripes painted and clear coated one section at a time as money becomes availble. It won't be 100% original, but it will be better.

Here’s my take on painting the stripes on, I too plan on keeping my car for the long haul. We have a 3 warranty and if SAI/Ford has to replace my stripes twice a year that’s what I’m going to do, I’m not going to pay a penny out of my pocket to have the over the top strips painted on until my warranty is exhausted. My car isn’t a daily driver so if it has to go to Auto Arts a couple times a year for new stripes, so be it. Now if SAI/Ford decides it’s cheaper to foot the bill to have them painted on, that’s a different story.

blueshawk, give me a holler when you get down this way. Maybe we could grab a bite to eat.

Here are some pics of my latest Hood Scope replacement at the Ford Dealership. 3rd time for me including new stripes. Used the 8-32 rivet nuts and Pan Head screws from McMasters. Also put #7 Buna o-rings under the screw heads to prevent the heads from digging to the paint on the scope radius. Also put Loctite (Blue Removable) on the screws to keep them from backing out under extreme vibrations. I'll let you know how it works out in the long term. Looks good for now.

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

Edited by ShelbyDW

I finally dropped by baby (the blue one) off at Downtown Ford today for the hood scoop replacement.

I hope it doesn't take too long. I am awfully concerned, since they've never done ANY work to an SGT and the service manager I've been dealing with knows absolutely nothing about Shelbys in general.

"Couldn't be any different than working on a Roush," were his exact words today.

I was happy to find out that they'll be using a very reputable body shop in Sacramento for the work though. That's a huge relief for me. I'll keep the group updated as to the progress of this thing.

Ken

p.s. I'm also getting the map light assembly warranty replaced, since the passenger side button is broken. I also asked them to take the airbag cover off, so I can finally mail it in for signing. They were hesitant to even entertain the idea, but they're going to 'talk it over' this weekend. Ugh. <_<

Here are some pics of my latest Hood Scope replacement at the Ford Dealership. 3rd time for me including new stripes. Used the 8-32 rivet nuts and Pan Head screws from McMasters. Also put #7 Buna o-rings under the screw heads to prevent the heads from digging to the paint on the scope radius. Also put Loctite (Blue Removable) on the screws to keep them from backing out under extreme vibrations. I'll let you know how it works out in the long term. Looks good for now.

ShelbyDW, where did you have your scoop done? I'd like to give them a call if they are close.

Blueshawk,

They're in the Temple-Belton area. The reason for being vague is that I'm not sure they want to do another one. I'll check with them today to get the final answer.

ShelbyDW, where did you have your scoop done? I'd like to give them a call if they are close.
Edited by ShelbyDW

Blueshawk,

They're in the Temple-Belton area. The reason for being vague is that I'm not sure they want to do another one. I'll check with them today to get the final answer.

I had to look up where Temple-Belton is............TEXAS! That's too far. I'm in Virginia.

Thanks though.

But I hear ya. I've talked to several dealers that won't do another. Shelby really didn't think this through and develop a good procedure for this repair. They have left all to the dealers to figure (or not) it out.

Edited by blueshawk

I had to look up where Temple-Belton is............TEXAS! That's too far. I'm in Virginia.

Thanks though.

But I hear ya. I've talked to several dealers that won't do another. Shelby really didn't think this through and develop a good procedure for this repair. They have left all to the dealers to figure (or not) it out.

Go find your own body shop and have the dealer handle the warranty claim and contract to your body shop to do the work.

Simple for a dealer wanting to cooperate!

So I hadn't heard from the Ford dealer since I dropped my car off last Friday, so I called them yesterday.

The map light assembly was replaced, but that's it. The scoop hasn't even arrived yet, even though they said it was there when I dropped my car off last Friday.

I picked the car up this morning and asked them to call me when the parts had actually arrived.

My SGT was filthy. It had been left outside for 5 days straight, according to the guy that drove my car around.

The hood, roof, and trunk lid are covered in dried on water spots. Also, my brand new Cobra floor mats are bathed in dried mud.

I didn't even have time to complain, because I would have been late to work. I really don't want to bring my car back to these people! :unsure:

Ken

Go find your own body shop and have the dealer handle the warranty claim and contract to your body shop to do the work.

Simple for a dealer wanting to cooperate!

I have. In fact, I have the scoop and stripes in hand and I'm scheduled to go to the body shop for the repair on 2/17. The only hiccup is that it is a 4+ hour drive to the only shop I could find that has done this repair and is confident it can do another. In fact, it's done many of the old scoop and stripe fixes and two of the latest scoops. I'll have to rent a car and drive home and return a week later to get the SGT. A bit of a hassle to say the least and my wife thinks I'm nuts! She's probably right.

The only local shop that I have confidence in for body work, won't touch it.

Edited by blueshawk

I was just digging through my old messages in my inbox and found a note from Chip about his scoop.

I just called Heath at Phoenix Composites and I'm sold. He has 3 in stock and 1 now has my name on it. :)

Ken

I have the new scoop and it is beautiful! I'm sure the HB scoop is also but the Shelby one will do just great if you can find someone to tackle the install and back up their work if they mess it up. One thing others have had done was to paint the stripe and clear coat the scoop before the install. This will look great, be less affected by the elements, and provide a good surface for the head of the rivet to sit on. Less likely to chip the scoop paint when installing the rivets. Pics I've see of this install are just great. I hope it goes as well for mine. :happy feet:

I was just digging through my old messages in my inbox and found a note from Chip about his scoop.

I just called Heath at Phoenix Composites and I'm sold. He has 3 in stock and 1 now has my name on it. :)

Ken

That's great but you're entitled to a new scoop under warranty and I would get one worse case put it away for the future should it ever be needed.

That's great but you're entitled to a new scoop under warranty and I would get one worse case put it away for the future should it ever be needed.

My understanding is that the only way to get the new scoop from SAI is to actually have it installed on my car.

They won't just ship it to me, right? I really don't want this dealer touching my car.

Ken

I have the new scoop and it is beautiful! I'm sure the HB scoop is also but the Shelby one will do just great if you can find someone to tackle the install and back up their work if they mess it up. One thing others have had done was to paint the stripe and clear coat the scoop before the install. This will look great, be less affected by the elements, and provide a good surface for the head of the rivet to sit on. Less likely to chip the scoop paint when installing the rivets. Pics I've see of this install are just great. I hope it goes as well for mine. :happy feet:

Thanks for the insight. However, I'm done with the tupperware. Also, I really like the idea of having the scoop functional. I have enough ornaments on my car.

I'll post some pics, once the HB scoop gets installed.

Ken

Thanks for the insight. However, I'm done with the tupperware. Also, I really like the idea of having the scoop functional. I have enough ornaments on my car.

I'll post some pics, once the HB scoop gets installed.

Ken

You do know the new shelby scoop is fiberglass composite? It isn't anything like their previous scoops.