TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

I finally went to the dreaded dealer today about my hood scoop and stripes.

The service guys had zero clue on how to handle the task or even who to contact.

I ended up giving them a short seminar, passing on much of the info I have learned right here.

They asked me to come back Monday, when they can give SAI and whoever else a call.

Any last minute suggestions when dealing with my local clowns on this ridiculous waste of time?

Ken

If you have a good camera take the needed pictures at multiple angles and burn to a CD that will save you an hour of them fumbling right there. Havr the phone number and it should go fine from there.

Have them install the "SHAKER HOOD" and Functional Air Scoop..............

It will look B :censored: n on the Shelby GT and solve the problem.................. :happy feet:

Yours will be Special and Unique............... B)

I really don't like the look of any of the shakers I've seen. But that's just me! I will ruin the clean look of the hood stripes with that black box sitting there. IMHO!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

I really don't like the look of any of the shakers I've seen. But that's just me! I will ruin the clean look of the hood stripes with that black box sitting there. IMHO!

I guess your right with the silver stripes..........How about if the black box is polished alumn. or chrome???????

Looks great Kevin. Who did your work?

Jim

Jim,

We use the same stripe guy and installer that the Ford dealer uses where I purchased my

SGT. He came to my lot to do the install. By the way ... instructions say to remove the hood

for installation, he left the hood on during install. There was also no template included. He

basically did the measurements for install with a ruler! He did a great job!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Edited by StrayShadow

Pic 9 shows installed Rivet Nut from underside of hood

Pic 10 shows 15 of the 25 installed rivet nuts

Next pic shows shop tapping the rivet nuts to clean and debur

15 installed nuts/bolts now only 10 more to go....

last shot is pic of installed nuts/bolts from underside of hood

Hope this helps some of you that may have questions about using the supplied rivets or this route. I really like the idea of getting equal pressure on the scoop. Can't wait to get car back......................Craig

Craig,

Was anything done after picture 15 for raw edges of inner panel clearance holes? Touch up paint? Seems like that would be good final touch even though there is a pad to go back in.

DrKSGT

Craig,

Was anything done after picture 15 for raw edges of inner panel clearance holes? Touch up paint? Seems like that would be good final touch even though there is a pad to go back in.

DrKSGT

yes, they are touching up all the "raw" edges to clean it up. Also, we are gong to cut the hood under the scoop so those edges will be touched up as well. Shop is spraying the bottom side of the scoop with a filler primer to smooth along with a skim coat then paint it white to match the car since it will be visible when the hood is up. Hopefully all will be done this week. Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

Be prepared to repeat the process and numbers to the dearler over and over. Also, stay on it, call Ford Racing along the way to verify the dealer has done all they need to do, and so you'll know when the parts ship from SAI. Talk to them to see if they have ever done stripes before (most dealer body shops hire this work out). See if you can get comfortable with them doing the work. If not, you can take it to another dealer.

I just got mine back after a very long and difficult process but I have to say it looks great. My scoop wasn't bad but I had the dreaded "wrinkles" at nearly every rivet. My local dealer didn't have a clue about anything. I got so frustrated I nearly decided to call the whole thing off. In fact, I had contacted another dealer about doing the work and had spoken with Ford Racing to have the warranty work moved to the other dealer. After a major replacment in the service department (the body shop people stayed the same) they scheduled me to bring it in, but I didn't decide to let them do it until I met everyone and was told by the new service manager that if it wasn't right they would pay for it to be redone and I could take it where I wanted.

As I said, they actually did a great job. The new stripes, hood scoop and hood pin lanyards look great. Truth is, I was pleasantly surprised because I just knew it was going to be a total disaster. I'm going to post pictures when I figure out how.

Bottom line is keep in contact with them and help them to learn the process. Get comfortable with them or take it somewhere else.

here's an update on the "scoop project". As I posted earlier, the plan was to cut the hood opening like Chip Beck had suggested. Altough this is relatively easy to do, it was gut wrenching to watch this. Anyway, now it's done and I know some had recently posted questions regarding rain getting in thru the opening. I think Chip did an excellent job of answering that question, but I went one step farther. I happened to notice that laying in my garage was a perfect peice of weatherstip for my '67 project car. The part no. is 03110-1A for 65-68 Mustang. Available at NPD for $12.95. This weatherstrip has a very good seal to hood on the leading edge which I fit/cut then tacked with 3M w/s. Painters tape was used to hold in place until dry. I trimmed the two outside top corners at an angle to match the angle on the inside of the scoop so with the scoop in place it seals at the leading edge of the hood panel and at the sides of the scoop itself. There is no need to go down the sides of the hood opening. Here are some pics to show you what I am talking about which include prep of hood from underside. We used an acid etch primer followed by a 2 in 1 white primer which worked perfectly on the raw edges and rivet nuts. The last pic shows the scoop setting on the hood and as you can see it is not easy to see the seal in place. This was the SAI scoop replacement and I removed the 3 nuts holding the blackout and then cut out the fiberglass bkt that holds the blackout. I did this because I wanted it open and if it goes bad my next scoop will come from Chip's design. Craig

post-10682-1229275723_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229275753_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229275809_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229275827_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1229275846_thumb.jpg

Itook my shelby to the dealer last week to have new stripes and latest and greatest hood-scoop intalled.scoop laid now pretty flat,but the rivets were out of sequence,From the center of the scoop at the back of the scoop on the black tape there were 12 rivets on on one side and 14 on the other,not counting the rivet on the black. Now my dealer wants me to bring it back in monday to fill in the holes and then reinstall the scoop. the tape looks good now but after another install who knows.This is my 4th scoop besides the original.Shelby will never know how much enjoyment they have taken from me on account of the problems with the scoop. Shelby should send someone down here to install the scoop correctly but that will never happen. They finally made a good scoop but now i can't seem to be able to get the scoop installed correctly.I kind of wonder how much integriety has been lost on the hood with all these holes that have been drilled in it.Signed, FED-UP.

"Shelby will never know how much enjoyment they have taken from me on account of problems with the scoop."

+1000

I have had my brand new hood scoop and stripes about two weeks now and this weekend I noticed paint is actually chipping off of the hood scoop. I noticed the first small chip missing by one of the rivets a couple days ago and wonder "what on earth?", since I knew it wasn't like that when I picked it up. Then yesterday when I went to wax it I saw another chip missing within a couple inches of the first. This happened between the glazing on Saturday and the wax on Sunday. Car didn't moved and nothing touched it.

I emailed my dealer this morning to let them know and attached a couple pictures. I'll take it by there later this week (after Christmas) or the following week.

I am without words.

I'm looking into the Heath/Beck scoop at the moment - studying options!

Sam

AKA:

What ever you think your options are file a warranty claim and at least get the latest improved scoop and should you decide to switch it later you can keep it rather than the defective one.

"Shelby will never know how much enjoyment they have taken from me on account of problems with the scoop."

+1000

I have had my brand new hood scoop and stripes about two weeks now and this weekend I noticed paint is actually chipping off of the hood scoop. I noticed the first small chip missing by one of the rivets a couple days ago and wonder "what on earth?", since I knew it wasn't like that when I picked it up. Then yesterday when I went to wax it I saw another chip missing within a couple inches of the first. This happened between the glazing on Saturday and the wax on Sunday. Car didn't moved and nothing touched it.

I emailed my dealer this morning to let them know and attached a couple pictures. I'll take it by there later this week (after Christmas) or the following week.

I am without words.

I have had mine now for about a month and a careful look around it doesn't show any paint issues. Still looks good, no stripe damage etc., to be seen. The real test will be another hot summer I guess.

Can you take pictures of what you're seeing?

I took a couple but they didn't turn out very good. It was in the garage so that may be part of it. I will try in the next day or two outside and see how they turn out. They are just small, well, chips out of the paint. And it seems to be just the top layer of paint, like down to the primer or something. One is right at a rivet and is about 1/8 of an inch and the other is a couple rivets away, sort of in-between rivets and is about 1/16 of an inch. I saw the smaller one first and then the larger one. The service manager said to bring it in Friday or Saturday. I'm not sure what can be done about them. It they had touch up paint they could probably fill them in but I suspect it would look like they did just that. I'll try to get some pictures and post them. Weird.

I will say this, except for this the stripes and scoop look really good.

Edited by Chill

10/25/08 - I started my process yesterday by contacting the Shelby warranty center directly, not a dealer. They asked me submit to them, via email, my VIN, contact info and photos which show the defects. I was told that after 2 or 3 days they would assign and "RO" number, which I would then provide to the dealer.

So, this weekend I hope to get the photos and email prepared to get this ball rolling.

UPDATE #1 - 11/6/08 - I sent the email and photos to the Shelby Customer Center on Sunday. Yesterday I got a reply asking who my dealer is, to which I replied Tasca. Another email followed to instruct me to go ahead and take my car to the dealer now. So, my plan is to take it to Tasca on the 22nd, as I can't get there before then.

UPDATE #2 - 11/12/08 - Today I contacted TASCA, and spoke with the Mod Shop manager. I was asked to forward my contact info, VIN and mileage to him. He said that after receipt the email that it would take a week to get the scoop, and then he would need my car for another week to do the work. He also said that he has 3 SGT's in his shop at the moment for this fix, so that's good, they'll have experience prior to mine!

UPDATE #3 - 12/23/08 - TASCA advises that they have the "code" and the parts, and have asked me to let them know when I can bring the car in. Now I need to figure that out, in between snowstorms and winter weather!!

10/25/08 - I started my process yesterday by contacting the Shelby warranty center directly, not a dealer. They asked me submit to them, via email, my VIN, contact info and photos which show the defects. I was told that after 2 or 3 days they would assign and "RO" number, which I would then provide to the dealer.

So, this weekend I hope to get the photos and email prepared to get this ball rolling.

UPDATE #1 - 11/6/08 - I sent the email and photos to the Shelby Customer Center on Sunday. Yesterday I got a reply asking who my dealer is, to which I replied Tasca. Another email followed to instruct me to go ahead and take my car to the dealer now. So, my plan is to take it to Tasca on the 22nd, as I can't get there before then.

UPDATE #2 - 11/12/08 - Today I contacted TASCA, and spoke with the Mod Shop manager. I was asked to forward my contact info, VIN and mileage to him. He said that after receipt the email that it would take a week to get the scoop, and then he would need my car for another week to do the work. He also said that he has 3 SGT's in his shop at the moment for this fix, so that's good, they'll have experience prior to mine!

UPDATE #3 - 12/23/08 - TASCA advises that they have the "code" and the parts, and have asked me to let them know when I can bring the car in. Now I need to figure that out, in between snowstorms and winter weather!!

Sorry, but I am so not impressed. In the time you have been playing with this I've had my scoop done, stripes done, and my passenger side muffler replaced all under warranty at little Gurnee Ford.

At this rate it will have taken you two months. In all my scoop (4), stripe replacements (2), Ford racing muffler replacements (2), I have never waited more than two weeks.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Sorry, but I am so not impressed. In the time you have been playing with this I've had my scoop done, stripes done, and my passenger side muffler replaced all under warranty at little Gurnee Ford.

At this rate it will have taken you two months. In all my scoop (4), stripe replacements (2), Ford racing muffler replacements (2), I have never waited more than two weeks.

Jeff,

Maybe it wouldn't have taken so many tries if they had taken their time.

Just kidding, Jeff, the way it read I couldn't help it.

(:

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all!!!!

From what I have heard, a couple of the new scoops were sent out to now test the field. We are not going to announce the new scoop just yet. We are waiting to hear some feed back on the ones that were sent out. There is no gasket that goes on the bottom of the scoop. It does not need it. It will not tear the stripes. As long as the instructions are followed, there will be no problems. If the stripes tear, somebody did something wrong. The ones we tested here went under some pretty tough testing. I'm talking some extreme heat, many mutiple opening and closings and I believe that the persons car we tested it on (an employee) thought he was in a couple high speed pursuits (TY Jackie Gleason LOL) and the scoop did not budge, smudge, grudge and any other word that rhymes :hysterical: . When I can, I will post a pic of the "weight" test. And no, it was not me standing on it--its strong, but not THAT strong :hysterical:

Folks, just hang in there, we are almost there!!!!!!! :happy feet:

Bud

Does anyone know - was this final-final version of the hood scoop ever announced? Is it the one now being shipped to dealers for repairs? I just want to make sure I get this one.

Thanks.

Does anyone know - was this final-final version of the hood scoop ever announced? Is it the one now being shipped to dealers for repairs? I just want to make sure I get this one.

Thanks.

I never saw any annoucement and I try to check the forums every day. I was under the impression that the final scoop came without pre-drilled holes (due to some flex thing). The one Shelby sent my dealer had no holes. Hope this helps some. You might email Bud. He gets in early (much earlier than this) and I found him to be very helpful.

Chuck

There was no official release from SAI that says "COME AND GET IT" but they have been sending them out as needed and to them I thing that indicates their exceptance of the new scoop. My understanding is they have two variation available one with the holes drilled for vehicles that only have the bolt on version and a non-drill version for those that have the fully riveted scoop. When the shop orders the scoop they must indicate which version they want.

Don

Can someone verify this about two scoops one for rivets and one without, my understanding was they were all to be rivet type, I would prefer one without rivets as to avoid problems with revets wrecking the srtipes, Jeff can you shed some light on this, thanks Bruce

Can someone verify this about two scoops one for rivets and one without, my understanding was they were all to be rivet type, I would prefer one without rivets as to avoid problems with revets wrecking the srtipes, Jeff can you shed some light on this, thanks Bruce

My information, the way it was explained to me some time ago, was that due to the slight changes to the scoop design meant the rivet locations would also shift slightly.

Sorry I don't recall which came first but early revised scoops either came with out without pre-drilled holes. Regardless in response to dealer installation issues the presence, or absence holes, seemed to be creating more issues than they solved so it was decided to switch.

I don't remember which way they went or from which form but from the recent posts it seems the final direction was to no holes. I got a scoop with the pre-drilled holes and there may be some still in inventory but, like I said, from the sounds of things recent scoops are coming without holes.

It was never mentioned that there was any differentiation based upon if you had a pre-existing rivets etc., 07 vs 08, etc., it was purely based upon dealer feedback to provide easier installation. I asked my parts guy that ordered my scoop and he said no questions like that were ever asked.

I would think that the cost of this program is great and having two different designs as a matter of policy, I would think, would add a great deal of cost and bring potential problems, so I would be VERY surprised if some two design solution was the now the case.

That's all I know....sorry!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

What ever you think your options are file a warranty claim and at least get the latest improved scoop and should you decide to switch it later you can keep it rather than the defective one.

Jeff,

Will do on the warranty claim! Just today I've ordered the Heath/Beck scoop so a trip to the local Ford dealer is next on the list!

Sam

AKA:

TASCA (Dennis Gomes) has confirmed with me that they have received the latest updated scoop for my car. So, after I see it I'll let everyone know exactly what it is.

Here is link to the post where Bud states that the dealers are given the choice of drilled or non pre-drilled scoops

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=552926 (post # 24)

Don

Well there you have it! Not how it was explained to me but things change I guess!

I would personally take the pre-drilled and glad that's what I got! I don't get why anyone would want non-drilled but I'm sure someone will post a rational for it!

Thanks Don!

I believe the idea behind the non-drilled version came about because the holes that were pre-drilled didn't line up with some of the hoods that previously had a fully riveted scoop installed. I remember reading that if the holes in the pre-drilled scoop didn't line up with the holes in the hood then a second set of 25 or at least a portion of the holes would have to be re-drilled leaving your hood looking like swiss cheese. Some dealers were refusing to install the scoops since the holes didn't line up so SAI had the holes removed. With the no-hole version the scoop must be located on the hood and then the holes in the hood must be marked on the scoop flange and then drilled. I'm not sure if SAI is still manufacturing both versions or if everything has been converted to the no holes version.

Don