TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

Wow it looks terrific! I cannot wait to see one on my car!!! GJ SAI!! :)

Bud, I am going to call my service guy today and let him know the new scoop has been finalized. he is aware of my issue and I have told him you guys have been working on a new scoop and I was holding off on a replacement until it was finalized. What info should I give him on it? What process does he need to follow? I know you guys dont want to flood the market with this yet but I want to get all my ducks in a row with him and then when he gets the scoop have it done then. I dont care when as long as it is the next few motnhs before the car gets put to bed fo winter.

Edited by Webba

Hey Kevin,

The screws that were in the bag do they also tighten the scoop down, or is it just the four you see under the hood? Good job with the install.

Jimmy :salute:

There were 8 bolts plus the 2 hex head screws on the front corners of the scoop holding it down.

No bolts or screws in the new scoop, only rivits. 25 rivits to be exact.

Thanks SAI for working so hard on a new sccop! The hard work has definitely paid off!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Edited by StrayShadow

Wow it looks terrific! I cannot wait to see one on my car!!! GJ SAI!! :)

Bud, I am going to call my service guy today and let him know the new scoop has been finalized. he is aware of my issue and I have told him you guys have been working on a new scoop and I was holding off on a replacement until it was finalized. What info should I give him on it? What process does he need to follow? I know you guys dont want to flood the market with this yet but I want to get all my ducks in a row with him and then when he gets the scoop have it done then. I dont care when as long as it is the next few motnhs before the car gets put to bed fo winter.

Technically it is really "not" finalized. It is and isn't. That is the main reason why we have not announced it yet. We wanted to make sure the we and Ford were getting positive feedback on the new scoops first. This would also allow us to build a supply during that time. We did not want to create a mad rush on scoops. Then what would happen is everybody would be going to the dealer to get the new scoop and there would be a huge back log. Since the pics of the new scoop have been posted, we are now getting slammed for the new scoop. it's not a problem getting them out to the dealers, it's a problem of not having enough to supply the demand.

BUT, we now have our guys working on Fridays to help supply the demand. It may be a bit rocky at first on getting these out in a timely mannor, but it will all work out in the end. All we just ask is please be just a little more patient (like most of you have been :) ) through this new scoop transition period.

The process is still the same. Set it up with the dealer and have them call the 800 number to set up the claim. If those procedures are followed--NOBODY will have ANY problems at all getting the repair or repairs done :)

And if you like the looks of the new scoop, you should see how she holds up too!!!!!! Here is a 160# person STANDING on it!!!!! It didn't even creek, crack, dip at all!!!!!!

scoop.jpg

We are almost there folks!!!!!!!! Just a little bit more time and she will all be great again!!!! :happy feet:

Bud

Technically it is really "not" finalized. It is and isn't. That is the main reason why we have not announced it yet. We wanted to make sure the we and Ford were getting positive feedback on the new scoops first. This would also allow us to build a supply during that time. We did not want to create a mad rush on scoops. Then what would happen is everybody would be going to the dealer to get the new scoop and there would be a huge back log. Since the pics of the new scoop have been posted, we are now getting slammed for the new scoop. it's not a problem getting them out to the dealers, it's a problem of not having enough to supply the demand.

BUT, we now have our guys working on Fridays to help supply the demand. It may be a bit rocky at first on getting these out in a timely mannor, but it will all work out in the end. All we just ask is please be just a little more patient (like most of you have been :) ) through this new scoop transition period.

The process is still the same. Set it up with the dealer and have them call the 800 number to set up the claim. If those procedures are followed--NOBODY will have ANY problems at all getting the repair or repairs done :)

And if you like the looks of the new scoop, you should see how she holds up too!!!!!! Here is a 160# person STANDING on it!!!!! It didn't even creek, crack, dip at all!!!!!!

scoop.jpg

We are almost there folks!!!!!!!! Just a little bit more time and she will all be great again!!!! :happy feet:

Bud

That looks like trickery was done to hold that man up! Next yo will tell us the world is round! ;) Seriously though it looks great. :)

I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers by posting pics of the new scoop! I apologize if I have

caused any inconvenience or aggravation to SAI!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Actually, I am glad you posted about it. I would have eventually, but you have done well!!! Thank you!!!!

That looks like trickery was done to hold that man up! Next yo will tell us the world is round! ;) Seriously though it looks great. :)

What you can't see is him holding onto my desk 8 feet awat :hysterical: Really, the world is round? Damn, I never knew that :devil2::hysterical2:

Bud

...we now have our guys working on Fridays to help supply the demand. It may be a bit rocky at first on getting these out in a timely mannor, but it will all work out in the end. All we just ask is please be just a little more patient (like most of you have been :) ) through this new scoop transition period.

Bud

Bud, I would say its great to keep up w/ the demand, but quality of the product must come first! So, I think (hope) I would speak for most of us in saying that we would rather wait a little longer to be certain that what comes out of your shop is top quality so there will be no future issues.

Bud,

I do plan on waiting to give you guys time before filing a claim, but so i can do it right at that time . What 800 number do they call-- shelby; ford or ford performance calms i had one issue where they called the wrong one on the phone pins. thanks

1-800-367-3788 this is the number that your dealer would need to call to set up the claim.

Bud, I would say its great to keep up w/ the demand, but quality of the product must come first! So, I think (hope) I would speak for most of us in saying that we would rather wait a little longer to be certain that what comes out of your shop is top quality so there will be no future issues.

I could not agree more!!!! The ones that have been coming in look GREAT!!!!!!!!! Then we prep them, paint them and ship them(Doug does that). I don't think that we have seen a bad one come in yet. Fingers crossed :)

Bud

+1

I plan on waiting until the November/December time frame after the car show and driving event season is over with. I'm having way to much fun driving my car now to take her out of service again. It looks like HS replacement #2 will be worth the wait!

This is great news.......

What happen to Chip Becks Big Game shoots , I was looking forward to the discussion about to take place on that , and I really want to know what happened to Chips Scoop, I want to find out if he's gonna produce it , or if he got a better offer ????............ZDS

What happen to Chip Becks Big Game shoots , I was looking forward to the discussion about to take place on that , and I really want to know what happened to Chips Scoop, I want to find out if he's gonna produce it , or if he got a better offer ????............ZDS

Just a suggestion - maybe you should PM him directly.

We are only replacing those with an issue. there are 7000+ cars and only a small amount have the issues noted here, this is not a recall, nor should it be

Amy

anyone notice , strange how small amount mentioned here, yet stated later "it's not a problem getting them out to the dealers, it's a problem of not having enough to supply the demand" .....i wonder what number small is out of 7,000 anyway about time after 1 1/2 yr of waiting let hope all goes well and i can finally enjoy this car in the condition it was intended. FYI do not buy the black billet hood pin set the black on the plates comes off within few months and exposes a gold metal below ., look very bad. anyone know if the stripes were improved also, to not stain from just everyday driving grime and sitting! not everyone can garage or car cover the vehicle when ever they are not driving it

Edited by VEGASTY

anyone notice , strange how small amount mentioned here, yet stated later "it's not a problem getting them out to the dealers, it's a problem of not having enough to supply the demand" .....i wonder what number small is out of 7,000 anyway about time after 1 1/2 yr of waiting let hope all goes well and i can finally enjoy this car in the condition it was intended. FYI do not buy the black billet hood pin set the black on the plates comes off within few months and exposes a gold metal below ., look very bad. anyone know if the stripes were improved also, to not stain from just everyday driving grime and sitting! not everyone can garage or car cover the vehicle when ever they are not driving it

Point taken ........once the design and testing is done it's not like your gonna make 20 or 30 , if you built 8000 cars and lets just say 10% are defective ( and I think thats giving SAI the benifit of doubt ) thats 800 scoops , not exactly Detroit numbers but it would make a good Six Sigma prodject..............ZDS

Anyone know where I can find a list of local authorized repair centers to fix my scoop issue? I'm having issues with the dealer i bought my car from. Their "body shop" just closed down, and they have no plans anytime soon of opening back up. They've been taking recall and warranty jobs and farming them out to local unqualified smaller body shops in the area. I don't like the idea of bringing my car in, and having some guy drive it 50 miles away to have some unexperienced shop I don't know do the work. I live in zip code 11757. I have a shop or two that I trust, they're just not authorized for Shelby warranty work. thanks!

Anyone know where I can find a list of local authorized repair centers to fix my scoop issue? I'm having issues with the dealer i bought my car from. Their "body shop" just closed down, and they have no plans anytime soon of opening back up. They've been taking recall and warranty jobs and farming them out to local unqualified smaller body shops in the area. I don't like the idea of bringing my car in, and having some guy drive it 50 miles away to have some unexperienced shop I don't know do the work. I live in zip code 11757. I have a shop or two that I trust, they're just not authorized for Shelby warranty work. thanks!

There is no such thing as a body shop that's "authorized for Shelby warranty work" many dealers do not have body shops and sub the work out. The dealer gets paid from Ford and the dealer pays the shop. You can ask your dealer to take the car to what ever shop you want. BUT, they will probably tell you they will only pay a set amount based upon the Ford payment and their cut and that they will not guarantee the work if the guy you select messes up.

But again there is no such thing as a "authorized for Shelby warranty" body shop and any dealer that tells you that should give you reason to find another dealer even if you have to drive 50 miles yourself.

I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else....

I'm taking my car in for several warranty items (lanyards / pin set replacement, new Shelby mats... dealer swapped my Shelby mats (and the hood pin set) for standard Mustang mats prior to delivery, and to replace a wrinkled tape stripe). When they replace the tape stripe on the hood, will they have to remove my scoop?

I don't know which version of the scoop I have, but it appears to be attached by actual rivets (can't tell for sure). Just so I know what I'm looking for, the main problem with some of the scoops was warping / gaps between the scoop and the hood? I don't believe I have that issue, but it hasn't been out of the garage much yet... Looking forward to the gorgeous winter weather for that. When it's not raining every day and there's not a hurricane bearing down on us every-other week... Yes - I'm in Florida.

Thanks,

Matt

08SGT1036 Vert

Yes, they will have to remove the scoop. The Tape runs from front to rear under the scoop. Plan on not having the car for a bit. I'm going through the same procedure myself. Plan on not having your car for awhile. I'm not sure if SAI instructs the dealer to do this or if this is dealer specific, but once the new tape is applied they want the car to sit in the sun for 2-3 days to adhere before the re-attach the scoop. The scoop is actually riveted on. The *new* scoop still has rivets, but it's made of a different material (fiberglass). If yours sits flush/flat and not buckling or pulling away from the hood then you're lucky.... The bubbles on the tape are from the scoop expanding/contracting though..... So even if you fix your stripes, you're likely to get that same problem again..... May want to talk to your dealer about getting a new scoop so you don't find yourself back there in 3-6 months....

I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else....

I'm taking my car in for several warranty items (lanyards / pin set replacement, new Shelby mats... dealer swapped my Shelby mats (and the hood pin set) for standard Mustang mats prior to delivery, and to replace a wrinkled tape stripe). When they replace the tape stripe on the hood, will they have to remove my scoop?

I don't know which version of the scoop I have, but it appears to be attached by actual rivets (can't tell for sure). Just so I know what I'm looking for, the main problem with some of the scoops was warping / gaps between the scoop and the hood? I don't believe I have that issue, but it hasn't been out of the garage much yet... Looking forward to the gorgeous winter weather for that. When it's not raining every day and there's not a hurricane bearing down on us every-other week... Yes - I'm in Florida.

Thanks,

Matt

08SGT1036 Vert

- Yes your scoop is riveted.

- Yes the scoop needs to be removed.

- Stripes come in sets of two and should BOTH be replaced to make sure of a good color match.

- You should wait on the stripes until the new scoop is ready, order it as well, or the wrinkles may just return at a later date.

Yes, they will have to remove the scoop. The Tape runs from front to rear under the scoop. Plan on not having the car for a bit. I'm going through the same procedure myself. Plan on not having your car for awhile. I'm not sure if SAI instructs the dealer to do this or if this is dealer specific, but once the new tape is applied they want the car to sit in the sun for 2-3 days to adhere before the re-attach the scoop. The scoop is actually riveted on. The *new* scoop still has rivets, but it's made of a different material (fiberglass). If yours sits flush/flat and not buckling or pulling away from the hood then you're lucky.... The bubbles on the tape are from the scoop expanding/contracting though..... So even if you fix your stripes, you're likely to get that same problem again..... May want to talk to your dealer about getting a new scoop so you don't find yourself back there in 3-6 months....

beat me! ;)

Can I also point out, that's just wrong what the dealer has done to your car with the floor mats/pins/lanyards. BS!

+1 I wouldn't trust them and would go to another dealer...your warranty is with Ford not the dealer and you can have this work done anywhere and demand the other parts.

Can I also point out, that's just wrong what the dealer has done to your car with the floor mats/pins/lanyards. BS!

I know... that's how I feel!

I did online price quote requests with about 20 dealers in MI & FL that had the car I wanted (08 SGT Convertible) after a Dealer inventory search through Ford's website. Some presented an intial offer and we worked from there... others just sent a form message back "come and in I'd be happy to help match you with the car or truck that you need", etc... still many others must have been too busy to respond to a guy asking for a quote on a $48k car (including the dealer 12 miles from me). So I made all the arrangements and agreement online and over the phone and ended up doing business with a dealer about 75 miles away (in Clearwater).

Anyway, the point is that since I'd seen the SGT at a couple other dealers and plenty of pictures online (here and other places) I hadn't seen my actual car in advance of driving over to the coast on a Saturday morning (with credit union check in hand) to take delivery. During my pre-delivery inspection, I noticed the mats (still in the bag in the trunk... as I asked) were not Shelby as had appeared in the pictures I'd seen and the hood pin set looked like the GT-H's I had rented in 2006 & 2007... the plates were not the raised billet Shelby GT I'd also seen in photos. I didn't notice the wrinkle in the stripe until a day or so later. So, I asked the salesman (who seemed like a genuinely honest guy... I am a pretty good judge of character) about both items before handing over my check. He assured me that the car was in the same condition as they'd received it from Shelby and as far as he knew it was correct. Well, I figured I probably couldn't get ahold of anyone at SAI on Saturday morning, so these both appeared to me they could be corrected with relative ease unless I really wanted to walk away and risk starting the buying process over.

I called Shelby Monday morning and was promptly told "you're right - dealer's wrong". They sent all 2008's out (after the SoCal run of 219) with the raised Billet SGT pin set and it was unique to 2008's (Vista Blue and BJ) and that yes, there should indeed have been Shelby floor mats. They told me they've had several problems of mats being swapped at dealers. Don't know if they'd seen anyone swap out the pins though. They did tell me I could not purchase these items, but that the dealer would have to work though Ford Warranty own up to what happened and they would have to purchase.

So, with Shelby backing I called the dealer on it. Apparently the dealership had just been bought out by a larger automotive group, but when they went through sales / service / bodyshop records they learned that (some time back) a previous GM had authorized a customer request to swap out the hood pin set from my car to move their last remaining 2007 SGT coupe. No explanation on the mats. They called Shelby and just tried to purchase the pin set and mats without owning up to the situation on my specific car. They, of course, were told "no". So, they tried to tell me "sorry, but we can't buy them either... don't know what we can do". So, I contacted Ford's HQ and SAI. They talked with the dealer and the dealer agreed to buy the parts on their dime after owning up to it. The stripe will be handled as normal warranty.

As far as where to have repairs done - I posted that question on the forums here, but the only place folks recommended was Tampa Bay Shelby. While they are an authorized Shelby Dealer (for Cobra's, etc) they are not an authorized Ford dealer (needed for warranty repair). Nobody recommended any dealers they've had personal bodyshop experience with that were closer to me than Clearwater (which is 75 miles each way).