TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

I just realized that I never posted pics of how my scoop/stripes came out.

Here's a shot of the nose, where the stripes taper in together too far. The pic doesn't do it justice. It looks way worse in person.

DSC05198.jpg

Notice anything missing? Oh ya, the BLUE STRIPE down the scoop! :banghead:

DSC05200.jpg

Here are some photos of the black block off plate sitting with a gap on one side.

DSC05201.jpg

DSC05202.jpg

DSC05203.jpg

DSC05204.jpg

Hot dang K.... will they be replacing the stripes and re-do the scoop? The scoop can be repainted, mine has been repainted three times to get the desired color match for my stripes.

I've asked that they order new stripes, rivets, and scoop. He doesn't want to order the scoop, but he hadn't seen the knick till I emailed the photos today.

If he won't get a new one, I'll just have this one re-painted, like you said. I've also asked that I be given the parts to have installed by the body shop of my choice this time. They haven't argued with that at all yet.

Ken

Jeff,

Inexperienced body shop or dealer personnel would certainly be capable of screwing up anything, no matter how well fitted or how well engineered. It does appear however, that the new fiberglass Shelby scoop is of inconsistent quality as regards both its molding and painting. Some members have received them and been thrilled with an excellent part while others have rejected more than one.

The Heath Scoop is unquestionably a better part with a better fit to the hood surface. It will be interesting to see how the Shelby Fiberglas scoop holds up over the years. The vinyl ester resin fiberglass used in the Heath scoop has already demonstrated its ability to last over a quarter of a century in difficult aviation environments and applications.

I am still not sold on the idea of pop riveting a rigid scoop to an aluminum hood with a thin/easily damaged piece of vinyl striping sandwiched in between. The photo in a previous post of the silver stripe bunching up in front of that black plastic block off plate on that orange SGT is an example of the long-term peril that awaits.

I strongly suggest, no matter what hood scoop a member uses, that the scoop be painted by a competent local body shop who can match the color of your stripes. At the same time they are painting your hood scoop, I suggest they paint the stripes on your hood as well. All SGTs come from the factory with a mix of painted and vinyl stripes. The silver on the hood scoop is paint and the silver on the rest of the car is vinyl. Painting the stripes on the hood as well as the hood scoop eliminates future inevitable problems that will result from smashing those vinyl stripes in between two hard surfaces. I have exhibited my car over a dozen times at automobile shows. Nobody has noticed that the stripes on my hood are painted and the stripes on the roof and bumper of my car are vinyl as the color is a perfect match.

I have seen many of our members endure $10,000 worth of grief and aggravation making countless trips back to the dealership. I intend to keep my SGT in my collection for many years so it was worth the money I spent to put all of these issues behind me. My hood and hood scoop on now two years old and have endured many afternoons in Arizona's 120° heat as well as being exposed to sub freezing temperatures. Everything is perfect. All the best.

Chip

post-12804-1241546702_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1241546601_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1241546587_thumb.jpg

Chip your hood scoop and hood look great. I would be interested in the price of the Scoop. I still have the origional scoop and stripes and mine is a 2007 #0478. My stripes are fine but of course I have the warped scoop. One thing I do notice about painting the scoop and hood stripes is painted silver has more depth than vinyl. If I change the scoop I will have the stripe repainted. Rick

Does anyone know how much money this scoop issue has cost Ford and SAI Im getting ready to have chip Beck scoop installed everyone I know that has installed this scoop has had no issues, I cant believe this issue goes on so long after cars were built maybe shpuld have designed better scoop before cars were built

Guess it's my turn in the barrel! Took my '08, SGT0618 in for the new scoop yesterday. Dealer said it would take 2-3 days to do the job.

That's okay, rather have 'em take their time and do it right. Got a call this a.m. that all was going well EXCEPT the blue tape for the scoop was about 2 shades lighter than the original and/or the paint! Dealer called SAI, said they were surprised but would send another asap.

When the scoop arrived at the dealer we took a look at it and I was pleased with the quality. Never thought to check the tape.

Anyway, I'll post the results when it's done. Hope it's just the way I want it.

Don

Yea, Chip, I probably should have gone your way, but as everyone involved has said, it is covered and approved for replacement by the warranty dept. Problem now is, I have a whole bunch of holes (2 sets) where these scoops were riveted to my hood. (maybe not the back center lol)

Does your scoop line up with the original set of holes?

Yea, Chip, I probably should have gone your way, but as everyone involved has said, it is covered and approved for replacement by the warranty dept. Problem now is, I have a whole bunch of holes (2 sets) where these scoops were riveted to my hood. (maybe not the back center lol)

Does your scoop line up with the original set of holes?

Shane,

Heath will send it to you pre-drilled or un-drilled. I suggest an undrilled scoop as I don't know how consistant SAI was from scoop to scoop. You can make a template using your old scoop and everything will line up.

Chip

Chip,

My point was that while the car is under warranty people should at least try to work within the process while pointing out there are some of us out there that are very happy with the new scoop. In any case no one should accept a scoop that has these issues. At the very least, worse case, they will have a SAI scoop to store while they attach your scoop!

But I think, in my case at least, after these months my "new design" scoop looks great, lays flat, and I hope it will stay that way. If not I will look at options then, and you'll no doubt hear from me, but until then I can't seeing spending $$$ to save Ford or SAI $$$, especially money I don't have, at least not for another 13 months!

All the best to you as well!

-Jeff

:yup:

edit - also, I guess everyone does realize, while the Chip Beck scoop looks great, if SAI had installed a scoop such as that our cars would have cost, I would assume, $1000 more at least. One of the issues at the time was the close proximity of the Shelby GT price to the GT500 price. The additional $1000+ may have put the Shelby GT out of the ballpark...or maybe not, but its possible. Yes, I know some will say it would have been worth it and they would have paid it to get it done right the first time, but that's hindsight 20/20 also.

Edited by ilmor

Gentlemen,

Rivits are not the way to go here. Yikes!!

Chip

I agree with you 110% after all this Chip.

I finally heard back from the service guy at my dealer today -

"hi ken i have allready got the wheels turning in process of ordering parts i will let you know if I have any problems. You can choose your body shop as long as they can use our warranty labor guide as this is all ford will pay. I have let the other body shop Know they messed up and will not get paid. have the body shop. you want to do work call me please"

edit - also, I guess everyone does realize, while the Chip Beck scoop looks great, if SAI had installed a scoop such as that our cars would have cost, I would assume, $1000 more at least. One of the issues at the time was the close proximity of the Shelby GT price to the GT500 price. The additional $1000+ may have put the Shelby GT out of the ballpark...or maybe not, but its possible. Yes, I know some will say it would have been worth it and they would have paid it to get it done right the first time, but that's hindsight 20/20 also.

Ilmor,

Agreed. At the start of my thread I pointed out that Heath's scoop takes too long to make as it is hand built and costs too much for it to be the factory solution. It is a ton cheaper than a CS6 hood however. In hindsight, as many California Special parts are already used on our cars, using the California Special hood scoop would have been a very inexpensive and bullet proof solution when the cars were originally built. Again, 20/20 hindsight. Using the Ford scoop now as a replacement would destroy the original look of our cars. Spending your own money to correct/improve something that is still under warranty is hard for many owners to do. For some of us who are intent on keeping our cars stock looking however, the time and aggravation involved in multiple fixes makes Heath's product the better deal. Cheers.

Chip

Edited by ChipBeck

Thanks Chip. I was under the impression they were predrilled and countersunk. Is there a trick to the countersinking?

It took about 5 minutes total. I just used a larger drill bit to counter sink the smaller allen head screw holes. With the scoop laying on a flat surface, point the larger bit straight down and counter sink just enough to give the allen head screws a level surface to mate to.

Chip

post-12804-1241644536_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1241644536_thumb.jpg

I paid 45,000 OTD , and no matter what the price it should have been done right the first time.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they have built close to 10, 000 of these cars ,,,,,the price difference would have been nothing at that run............ZDS

Buy the way I ran my car at Willow Springs last week-end , raced it hard for two days , Drove there from Santa Maria on the coast in Santa Barbara County bout 200 miles half in the rain thru the mountains across to Bakersfield then down to Orange County to visit my brother in Yorba Linda , went to John Forces place it was closed . . . . . . . . . . . The Point .......here it is 500 hunred miles wind and rain , sun, over 100 mph a number of times ................The Heath / Beck Scoop is still PERFECT.............and not even a leaf in the engine compartment ,,,and I have no screen in it .............................SAI should have bought it from HeATH / bECK ...........Just shows you they do not realy care . Hope if SAI issues a 2010 SGT with this style scoop the wise up , of course they may need a Sr Managment change there , find some people who know how to do these cars right , and respect the customers Beck proved this was a easily solvable problem , and SAI proved that they are only interested in money comming, and problems going away. I love my car , and this all my other posts are meant as constructive critisim. You would think after all this time some of these posts would have shamed SAI into standing up to their promised warranty , but they have no sham or ethics. It's been 3 years since I bought CSM SGT070652............I have never mad a claim with Ford , or SAI so I'd say I would be their perfect customer ,,,,paid top dollar , and never asked for anything ................But they will hear what I have to say about them for a long time ......................$45,000.00 - .02 ZDS

I understand what some folk's concerns are in the comments above, but everyone that bought the Shelby GT paid whatever price they paid knowing that it had a fake hood scoop. The type of scoop was not a hidden condition, however as we learned later, several began showing defects. Since that time, SAI has offered to and has in fact replaced numerous improved hood scoops, of a similar type, at their own expense. SAI does not owe us a Beck scoop or similar because such a scoop (and cost of same) comes nowhere close to the scoop which was provided in the original deal. In other words, we do not deserve an enhancement (even though we got one) unless we're willing to pay for it, rather, we deserve only that the original promise be kept. In addition, I think that SAI has provided us with a lot of personal service and concern that we would not get from a lot of other businesses.

Edited by ilmor

Dumb question. I dont feel like wading through 25 pages to find the answer. Is the phone # my dealer should call about my hood scoop fix 1-800-367-3788? I see the number posted under "warranty info". Im taking hewr in next week for oil and tire rotation and I want to finally have my dealer get going on this. I didnt bother last summer and figured Id wait until the bugs got worked out.

Hi to everyone I havent talked to in ages as well! :beerchug:

Dumb question. I dont feel like wading through 25 pages to find the answer. Is the phone # my dealer should call about my hood scoop fix 1-800-367-3788? I see the number posted under "warranty info". Im taking hewr in next week for oil and tire rotation and I want to finally have my dealer get going on this. I didnt bother last summer and figured Id wait until the bugs got worked out.

Hi to everyone I havent talked to in ages as well! :beerchug:

I posted and pinned the SGT warranty info at the top of the Mod/Tech forum.

I paid 45,000 OTD , and no matter what the price it should have been done right the first time.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they have built close to 10, 000 of these cars ,,,,,the price difference would have been nothing at that run............ZDS

Buy the way I ran my car at Willow Springs last week-end , raced it hard for two days , Drove there from Santa Maria on the coast in Santa Barbara County bout 200 miles half in the rain thru the mountains across to Bakersfield then down to Orange County to visit my brother in Yorba Linda , went to John Forces place it was closed . . . . . . . . . . . The Point .......here it is 500 hunred miles wind and rain , sun, over 100 mph a number of times ................The Heath / Beck Scoop is still PERFECT.............and not even a leaf in the engine compartment ,,,and I have no screen in it .............................SAI should have bought it from HeATH / bECK ...........Just shows you they do not realy care . Hope if SAI issues a 2010 SGT with this style scoop the wise up , of course they may need a Sr Managment change there , find some people who know how to do these cars right , and respect the customers Beck proved this was a easily solvable problem , and SAI proved that they are only interested in money comming, and problems going away. I love my car , and this all my other posts are meant as constructive critisim. You would think after all this time some of these posts would have shamed SAI into standing up to their promised warranty , but they have no sham or ethics. It's been 3 years since I bought CSM SGT070652............I have never mad a claim with Ford , or SAI so I'd say I would be their perfect customer ,,,,paid top dollar , and never asked for anything ................But they will hear what I have to say about them for a long time ......................$45,000.00 - .02 ZDS

WOW I didn't know that some people had such and anger problem towards SAI. My car is getting a NEW stripe and the NEW improved scoop at this very moment it will be on the car by Monday so I can't tell you how it looks on the car yet but I can tell you it is 1000% better quality than the orginal one that came on my car. The new one is made of fiberglass and you could stand on it without doing any damage to it. I really think you should have been patient and given them a chance to make things right. I will post pictures next week of how cool the new scoop is and hopefully your opinion of SAI will change and if doesn't then maybe a Camero will suit you better.

I brought my car to the body shop of my choice today for an estimate. This is easily the most well known and well regarded shop in town. They've been in business for 30 years and nearly every restored Mustang and modified Mustang in Sacramento has been through their doors.

They're charging the Ford dealer $300 to install the new scoop and stripes.

However, that $300 is actually just going to come off of the top of what I'm actually having them do. They're going to cut a hole underneath the new scoop that's on order, wrap the inside edges with a rubber collar, prep the underside of the new scoop so that it's smooth inside and out (and functional), paint the new scoop to actually match the stripes, install the scoop with stainless button head bolts, and paint the stripes on.

For all of this, after Ford pays their $300, my cash out of pocket will be just about $500. Well worth the investment, IMO. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Ken

Edited by kahmann

WOW I didn't know that some people had such and anger problem towards SAI. My car is getting a NEW stripe and the NEW improved scoop at this very moment it will be on the car by Monday so I can't tell you how it looks on the car yet but I can tell you it is 1000% better quality than the orginal one that came on my car. The new one is made of fiberglass and you could stand on it without doing any damage to it. I really think you should have been patient and given them a chance to make things right. I will post pictures next week of how cool the new scoop is and hopefully your opinion of SAI will change and if doesn't then maybe a Camero will suit you better.

Have you note read on here how many they have screwed up Hmmmm I too chose beck scoop after having one changed in Mar 07 at my expense because Ford was no help my choice I did not know this forum was ditaor ship everyone should have an opinion just because it doesnot match yours does not make it right some of us have been through alot withese cars mine is 113 Feb 07 yet they continued to put crap scoop on cars, I own 3 Shelbys from 60 a SGT and a 2009 GT 500 all nice cars but that does not excuse shoddy workmanship just because its a Shelby just my 2cents

Gentlemen,

I have spent more money fixing my hood scoop than any other member. In total, over $5,000.00 doing the development work and redoing everything until I had it perfect. And I enjoyed every moment of that project and every dime that I spent. I love Shelby Automobiles and the reincarnation of several different versions of Shelby Mustangs is a dream come true for me. I don't think that shoddy workmanship was to blame here. The original hood scoops on our cars were made out of a material that had been used successfully on countless automobiles for many years. Bumper covers, trim moldings, filler moldings, and so on. It just didn't work out when placed directly above a hot engine as extremes of heat and cold caused it to warp. Shelby was very proactive and developed 4 different hood scoops in total. They spent a ton of money on warranty repairs. But to do those warranty repairs they had to rely upon body shop personnel that had probably never seen or worked on a Shelby GT before. Almost every one of these warranty repairs was a first attempt. A typical body man does not drill holes into aluminum hoods and rivet painted fiberglass parts to it very often, if ever. The results of all of this was predictably and unavoidably, an inconsistent crapshoot. Short of having every one of the cars shipped back to Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas, which was impossible, dealerships all across the country had to perform these repairs.

So it didn't work out perfectly. But I don't think anybody could say that Shelby Automobiles didn't put some serious effort into this and spend a lot of money trying to satisfy their owners.

So why did I develop a different hood scoop? For the same reason many of you put superchargers on your cars. You were willing to spend your own money for a high quality component to improve your car and/or correct a deficiency. In a perfect world, nothing would ever break. Even when a repair is covered under warranty, it's still a major inconvenience. The hood scoop was bugging me so I decided I would rather fix it myself on my own dime rather than have a dealership attempt a second or third repair under warranty.

I love my Shelby GT. Now that my hood scoop is fixed..... I have nothing to complain about!!

Chip

Edited by ChipBeck

Gentlemen,

I have spent more money fixing my hood scoop than any other member. In total, over $5,000.00 doing the development work and redoing everything until I had it perfect. And I enjoyed every moment of that project and every dime that I spent. I love Shelby Automobiles and the reincarnation of several different versions of Shelby Mustangs is a dream come true for me. I don't think that shoddy workmanship was to blame here. The original hood scoops on our cars were made out of a material that had been used successfully on countless automobiles for many years. Bumper covers, trim moldings, filler moldings, and so on. It just didn't work out when placed directly above a hot engine as extremes of heat and cold caused it to warp. Shelby was very proactive and developed 4 different hood scoops in total. They spend a ton of money on warranty repairs. But to do those warranty repairs they had to rely upon body shop personnel that had probably never seen or worked on a Shelby GT before. Almost every one of these warranty repairs was a first attempt. A typical body man does not drill holes into aluminum hoods and rivet painted fiberglass parts to it very often, if ever. The results of all of this was predictably and unavoidably, an inconsistent crapshoot. Short of having every one of the cars shipped back to Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas, which was impossible, dealerships all across the country had to perform these repairs.

So it didn't work out perfectly. But I don't think anybody could say that Shelby Automobiles didn't put some serious effort into this and spend a lot of money trying to satisfy their owners.

So why did I develop a different hood scoop? For the same reason many of you put superchargers on your cars. You were willing to spend your own money for a high quality component to improve your car and/or correct a deficiency. In a perfect world, nothing would ever break. Even when repair is covered under warranty, it's still a major inconvenience. The hood scoop was bugging me so I decided I would rather fix it myself on my own dime rather than have a dealership attempt a second or third repair under warranty.

I love my Shelby GT. Now that my hood scoop is fixed..... I have nothing to complain about!!

Chip

Chip,,,,,I thank you and Heath for the scoop , it is perfect on my car on the street, on the road , and on the Track , it was what I was waiting for . I do feel the same way about the SGT , but the corporate world has soured my view where their commitment to customer service is concerned. As you say....."Even when repair is covered under warranty, it's still a major inconvenience" At 61 I don't want to waste a moment on the drone of corporate speak when it comes to Warranty work ............... want to drive , and I do..............ZDS

I brought my car to the body shop of my choice today for an estimate. This is easily the most well known and well regarded shop in town. They've been in business for 30 years and nearly every restored Mustang and modified Mustang in Sacramento has been through their doors.

They're charging the Ford dealer $300 to install the new scoop and stripes.

However, that $300 is actually just going to come off of the top of what I'm actually having them do. They're going to cut a hole underneath the new scoop that's on order, wrap the inside edges with a rubber collar, prep the underside of the new scoop so that it's smooth inside and out (and functional), paint the new scoop to actually match the stripes, install the scoop with stainless button head bolts, and paint the stripes on.

For all of this, after Ford pays their $300, my cash out of pocket will be just about $500. Well worth the investment, IMO. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Ken

This will be interesting to see!