TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

The amount of money SAI allocates to do this repair is not enough if you have to figure out how to do it. The instructions are of little help.

:yup: ...the body shop that did mine just got paid but told me he most likely will not do another one because of the amount of prep work and time that is involved in making it perfectly flushed and he also had to repaint the scoop because it did not match the stripes, so lets just say he got the bad end of the stick but he's a car guy and he let this one slide but during these hard times I doubt that he can let others slide.

There is not ONE, NOT ONE thing EVER printed from Ford that calls the car a GT-350. There may have been some reference to history etc., where the GT350 was mentioned but that's it! Hopefully this guys reads the shop manuals better!

Thanks Jeff. I couldn't imagine that this was the case, but he was awfully sure of himself! :hysterical:

Anyway, I'm scheduled for Monday the 13th to drop my car off for the scoop and stripes finally. I'm sticking with Downtown Ford in Sacramento, where I purchased the car to begin with. They're outsourcing the job to a paint & body shop not far from the dealership that I know of and have heard very good things about. I feel lots better today about this project than I have since I started this claim.

Ken

Thanks Jeff. I couldn't imagine that this was the case, but he was awfully sure of himself! :hysterical:

Anyway, I'm scheduled for Monday the 13th to drop my car off for the scoop and stripes finally. I'm sticking with Downtown Ford in Sacramento, where I purchased the car to begin with. They're outsourcing the job to a paint & body shop not far from the dealership that I know of and have heard very good things about. I feel lots better today about this project than I have since I started this claim.

Ken

You might consider giving your body shop the number of Auto Arts in Raleigh, NC (919-791-0040). Tell them to call Alan or Mike and ask about what they have learned about installing hood scoops and hood stripes. They've done about a dozen of them by now and at least 4 of the latest scoop design. They have had calls from other dealers asking how to do it.

You might consider giving your body shop the number of Auto Arts in Raleigh, NC (919-791-0040). Tell them to call Alan or Mike and ask about what they have learned about installing hood scoops and hood stripes. They've done about a dozen of them by now and at least 4 of the latest scoop design. They have had calls from other dealers asking how to do it.

+1

I and others have posted some tips and tricks in this thread as well as some installation pictures of some of the techniques.

Good luck!

+1

I and others have posted some tips and tricks in this thread as well as some installation pictures of some of the techniques.

Good luck!

I sent the guy I've been dealing with a long email last night of my concerns about the scoop/stripe replacement. I included the # for Auto Arts and several quotes from Jeff and other guys, hoping to spur the dealer a bit into taking a bit of precaution with this job. I also included the laundry list of other parts that have failed in my SGT, just to give him a heads up on my upcoming claims. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all of your help.

Ken

So I finally heard back from the guy at the dealer. Here's what he had to say in response to my email. Yet again, my dealer has me laughing out loud and wanting to throw my head into a wall at the same time. :banghead:

"hi ken, im wondering if this concern you have over this repair might not be worth going through with it. we and our body shop will do the best we can but what Im hearing you say is that this repair might not be worth the stress or worry. What do you think. We both want you to be happy with your car. Whats more trouble the imperfections or the worry if the job doesnt meet your expections. thanks David Hall"

So I finally heard back from the guy at the dealer. Here's what he had to say in response to my email. Yet again, my dealer has me laughing out loud and wanting to throw my head into a wall at the same time. :banghead:

"hi ken, im wondering if this concern you have over this repair might not be worth going through with it. we and our body shop will do the best we can but what Im hearing you say is that this repair might not be worth the stress or worry. What do you think. We both want you to be happy with your car. Whats more trouble the imperfections or the worry if the job doesnt meet your expections. thanks David Hall"

so I guess he is suggesting to just keep all the corroded junk on the car and get used to looking at the warped scoop? or does he want you to buy another brand?

so I guess he is suggesting to just keep all the corroded junk on the car and get used to looking at the warped scoop? or does he want you to buy another brand?

I have no idea. I told him that driving my Shelby around with 'imperfect' parts falling off of it was not an option for me. I also told him that I'd just contact the body shop directly, since he didn't have much interest in even entertaining my suggestions/concerns. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ken

Just tell him that your expectations are that they will perform the warranty repairs correctly.

I have no idea. I told him that driving my Shelby around with 'imperfect' parts falling off of it was not an option for me. I also told him that I'd just contact the body shop directly, since he didn't have much interest in even entertaining my suggestions/concerns. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ken

It's good that the dealer agrees he can't do the job and has farmed it out to a body shop. Also, If you have to pay some extra to cover the time it really takes to do this fix it will be worth it if it's done right. You also may want the body shop to paint the scoop to match the stripes (they are a different color), paint the blue stripe on it and clear coat over it. It will look awesome! It cost me $100 to have this done on mine. Also, have the body shop look at the edges along the bottom of the scoop that contact the hood. Some may be a little sharp and should be sanded so they don't bite into the stripe when they rivet the scoop to the hood.

Good luck!

Edited by blueshawk

• 2 weeks later...
... Also, have the body shop look at the edges along the bottom of the scoop that contact the hood. Some may be a little sharp and should be sanded so they don't bite into the stripe when they rivet the scoop to the hood.

Good luck!

Especially look at the black portion that the front grill attaches to as I have seen 3 now that aren't flat. First one of which the body shop didn't see and installed on my car which in turn caused a dimple in the hood. Second one was for a lot car. Third is the one sent by SAI to replace mine again! :banghead:

I'm waiting to hear back from SAI.

For those of you who had the scoops replaced on an '08, were the existing holes in the hood re-used to mount the new scoop or did they drill a new set of holes?

Yes, the existing holes will all be reused. :) ..had my new scoop installed just recently. -Steve

Yes, the existing holes will all be reused. :) ..had my new scoop installed just recently. -Steve

They had to drill new holes for mine, as the scoop was wider than the original.

Also getting another in about 15 days; the one on now has a "sanding gouge" leaving a a gap under the scoop on one side. Also, the black block in front is not conformed to the shape of the hood, which has caused the block to rub through the stripe and is now wadding it up in front of the block. I wonder if it has gone through to the paint.

What are the options on this scoop? Can i get another hood? I read somewhere here about a discount on the CS6 hood, does that still exist?

Edited by SHANE-O-MAN

I believe there were even two versions of the newest scoop. The first had holes pre-drilled in the scoop, which may have meant having new holes drilled in the hood. The second version did not have pre-drilled holes, so that existing holes could be used. I'm sure I read this somewhere but if not....

I believe there were even two versions of the newest scoop. The first had holes pre-drilled in the scoop, which may have meant having new holes drilled in the hood. The second version did not have pre-drilled holes, so that existing holes could be used. I'm sure I read this somewhere but if not....

Correct. My new scoop was not pre-drilled, making it possible to drill holes to match the existing holes. -Steve

Correct. My new scoop was not pre-drilled, making it possible to drill holes to match the existing holes. -Steve

I don't understand how you can use the existing holes and have the rivets centered properly. The new scoop is wider so if you try to use the existing holes the position of the rivets will be inboard the lip and off center. Are you sure that's what they did? I can't picture that working.

I don't understand how you can use the existing holes and have the rivets centered properly. The new scoop is wider so if you try to use the existing holes the position of the rivets will be inboard the lip and off center. Are you sure that's what they did? I can't picture that working.

I'm totally sure. I even removed the hood liner before bringing them the car. My purpose for removing the hood liner was to make sure the existing holes were bigger through the innermost skin of the hood, so the rivets wouldn't catch as they were being installed. I reinstalled the hood liner when I got my car back. Below are photos of my new scoop. -Steve

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

..and here's the old scoop. Note that the location of the holes on both scoops are the same. It's just that the new scoop has more flange from the holes outward.

IMG_2348.jpg

Edited by SoFL05GT

I was told that they do not pre drill any more. Mine was not drilled and the alignment of the holes would have put the rivets to far in on the scoop. Yes, now I do have water getting in between the layers of the hood, which is to be addressed when we get the next scoop. Probably going to put striping tape over the holes.

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

Well..that doesn't make sense given the scoop is a different size (slightly wider), and not the experience others have posted, but I'll take your word for it!

They do look different to me though...your new scoop looks about 1/8" to far to the right. Not enough that anyone would notice but look where your old scoop lays relative to the outside edge of the driver side stripe and then look at the new one. I'm just eye balling and and it could be parallax but again you're in front of it so I guess it will just be a head scratcher for me.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

They do look different to me though...your new scoop looks about 1/8" to far to the right. Not enough that anyone would notice but look where your old scoop lays relative to the outside edge of the driver side stripe and then look at the new one. I'm just eye balling and and it could be parallax but again you're in front of it so I guess it will just be a head scratcher for me.

Jeff, It's best not to judge anything relative to stripe placement. My new stripes are a little too wide at the back of the scoop, not perfect, but acceptable to me. However, take my word that the rearmost center rivet is dead on the center of the hood and only the existing holes were used. If you'll notice on the original stripes, the washer nozzle cutout on the passenger side is noticeably farther from the nozzle. The stripe guy went a little wide at the rear obviously attempting to make the cutout a little closer to the nozzle, even though I asked him just to focus on the maintaining the 1" gap. So, if anything, the stripes are moved, not the new scoop. -Steve

Edited by SoFL05GT

Jeff, It's best not to judge anything relative to stripe placement. My new stripes are a little too wide at the back of the scoop, not perfect, but acceptable to me. However, take my word that the rearmost center rivet is dead on the center of the hood and only the existing holes were used. If you'll notice on the original stripes, the washer nozzle cutout on the passenger side is noticeably farther from the nozzle. The stripe guy went a little wide at the rear obviously attempting to make the cutout a little closer to the nozzle, even though I asked him just to focus on the maintaining the 1" gap. So, if anything, the stripes are moved, not the new scoop. -Steve

Ok...good enough for me!

Well all my fears about leaving my SGT with my local doofus dealer for the scoop/stripe replacement have come to fruition. I just picked it up an hour or so ago.

The most obvious mistake was that they FORGOT to put the blue stripe down the center of the scoop! LOL

If that was it, however, I'd be a happy camper. Unfortunately, there's more. The rivets look horrible from the outside. The holes of the rivets are full of tiny broken chunks of metal. Some of the rivets aren't straight. The stripes are not spaced properly. The gap is bigger at the windshield side than at the tip of the hood. It looks ridiculous. The black plate at the front of the scoop is sitting off of the hood at least 1/4" on one side and digging into the hood on the other side.

Lastly, there is a huge air bubble under the passenger side stripe where it meets the end of the hood near the windshield. I'll post pics of all this crap when I have the nerve to look at it long enough to take some.

Instead of flipping out at the moron I've been dealing with the entire time, I just pointed all of the problems out and explained that I'd be finding another dealer for all future work and not to worry about getting a blue stripe for the scoop. Anyway, I'm going to grab a drink or 5.

Ken

So any info on a discount for a new hood? Is it kosher to put a Cobra hood on a GT? What about a plain V6 type hood?

Dealer has informed me that the scoop has caused damage to the stripe and that they cannot not do the stripes there.

Now what?!?

I would recommend that you call the Shelby Customer Relationship Center and ask them to find out what's being done to fix your SGT. I doubt anyone has gotten a discounted CS6 replacement hood. There should be no reason they can't lay the stripes, like normal.

so we all know bout the problems with the urethane scoops. its been run into the ground. ive been trying to get mine replaced for the last 2 months, were on scoop number four sent to my dealer over that time, each time they arrive theyr chipped or cracked. so i have to ask this. does sai not have quality control on the scoops theyr sending out? i mean honestly people, we should be able to get the scoop with out cracks the first time, my dealerships been fighting tooth and nail for me trying to get a scoop thats not damaged. the odd part is these scoops are not being damaged en route, theyr being damaged before theyr shipped.

does SAI not have an inspection before they ship? im a very patiente person but this is rediculous, i have NO intention of ever seliling my sgt. but im still very frustrated, car season has started and i want to be able to show my car. sooo um is there someone at shelby i can scream at over this? some one i can ask to personaly inspect a scoop before they ship it to my dealership? this is the only preoblem i have ever had with my shelby. i really want this to be taken care of.

rant off!

this is a repost since jeff closed the thread

so we all know bout the problems with the urethane scoops. its been run into the ground. ive been trying to get mine replaced for the last 2 months, were on scoop number four sent to my dealer over that time, each time they arrive theyr chipped or cracked. so i have to ask this. does sai not have quality control on the scoops theyr sending out? i mean honestly people, we should be able to get the scoop with out cracks the first time, my dealerships been fighting tooth and nail for me trying to get a scoop thats not damaged. the odd part is these scoops are not being damaged en route, theyr being damaged before theyr shipped.

does SAI not have an inspection before they ship? im a very patiente person but this is rediculous, i have NO intention of ever seliling my sgt. but im still very frustrated, car season has started and i want to be able to show my car. sooo um is there someone at shelby i can scream at over this? some one i can ask to personaly inspect a scoop before they ship it to my dealership? this is the only preoblem i have ever had with my shelby. i really want this to be taken care of.

rant off!

this is a repost since jeff closed the thread

For MANY months I have kept ALL hood scoop posts to two threads and we need to keep it that way or loose valuable information.

So any info on a discount for a new hood? Is it kosher to put a Cobra hood on a GT? What about a plain V6 type hood?

Dealer has informed me that the scoop has caused damage to the stripe and that they cannot not do the stripes there.

Now what?!?

GT500 hood will not work.

Regular Mustang hood (same on V6 or GT), which is what we have, work fine.

Well all my fears about leaving my SGT with my local doofus dealer for the scoop/stripe replacement have come to fruition. I just picked it up an hour or so ago.

The most obvious mistake was that they FORGOT to put the blue stripe down the center of the scoop! LOL

If that was it, however, I'd be a happy camper. Unfortunately, there's more. The rivets look horrible from the outside. The holes of the rivets are full of tiny broken chunks of metal. Some of the rivets aren't straight. The stripes are not spaced properly. The gap is bigger at the windshield side than at the tip of the hood. It looks ridiculous. The black plate at the front of the scoop is sitting off of the hood at least 1/4" on one side and digging into the hood on the other side.

Lastly, there is a huge air bubble under the passenger side stripe where it meets the end of the hood near the windshield. I'll post pics of all this crap when I have the nerve to look at it long enough to take some.

Instead of flipping out at the moron I've been dealing with the entire time, I just pointed all of the problems out and explained that I'd be finding another dealer for all future work and not to worry about getting a blue stripe for the scoop. Anyway, I'm going to grab a drink or 5.

Ken

I wouldn't have accepted it and demanded they do it again. Ford is not going to pay for this again. The dealer will have to fix at their expense and I can't see them being willing to pay another dealer...but I could be wrong!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo