TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

My understanding is that the only way to get the new scoop from SAI is to actually have it installed on my car.

They won't just ship it to me, right? I really don't want this dealer touching my car.

Ken

I was going to have the dealer do it until I did some research and then found on this forum a couple of guys who had theirs done at Auto Arts in NC. After talking to the body shop they convinced me that experience is the key when it comes to installing these scoops. My dealer agreed to farm out the install to Auto Arts and gave me the scoop and stripes to take to them when I take the car.

You are right, you don't want the dealer doing this if he hasn't done one before.

I was just digging through my old messages in my inbox and found a note from Chip about his scoop.

I just called Heath at Phoenix Composites and I'm sold. He has 3 in stock and 1 now has my name on it. :)

Ken

I bought a Chip Beck scoop in Nov and plan on having the body shop and painted my 60 Shelbys, the quality is great very nice people to work with. I had one experience with the Ford dealer that I bought my car from took it to body shop tp have second scoop installed whci went tp crap and then contacted chip Beck. I wonder how many have been sold Bruce

You do know the new shelby scoop is fiberglass composite? It isn't anything like their previous scoops.

No I didn't realize that. Has anyone here made their stock scoop functional?

If so, I'd be interested enough to hold off on the order of the HB.

Ken

My understanding is that the only way to get the new scoop from SAI is to actually have it installed on my car.

They won't just ship it to me, right? I really don't want this dealer touching my car.

Ken

I have given you all the information you need. If it's not important to you I'm not going to fight you to do it! LOL. It also occurs to me that you're leave a few hundred dollars on the table too!

:lurk:

Thanks for the insight. However, I'm done with the tupperware. Also, I really like the idea of having the scoop functional. I have enough ornaments on my car.

I'll post some pics, once the HB scoop gets installed.

Ken

Let's not be a :censored: about this. The new scoop, I can attest to and as others have posted, IS NOT TUPPERWARE and there is no reason you can't make the stock scoop functional as it no longer as a blanket inside or any sort of obstruction. You could drill holes as a real grill or remove the insert and have all the air you want!

Not taking anything away from Chip and Heath! But for me the new scoop is pretty much perfect!

Wow, real hot button issue for you, huh?

I'm not the kind of guy that is willing to deal with replacing something as dumb as this more than once.

It's just too ridiculous that it's melting in the first place.

Like I said in my last post, if it really is fiberglass, then I'd be willing to hold off on my HB scoop order.

No need to be a :excl: about it.

Ken

Edited by kahmann

I've thought more than once about drilling holes in the SAI insert if I ever decide to open the hood up to let heat out. It's just that my replacement hood scoop (one time) turned out just fine and there are so many other things I'd like to do to the car. The Chip Beck hood scoop is on my long list though for when I finally paint all the stripes.

Wow, real hot button issue for you, huh?

I'm not the kind of guy that is willing to deal with replacing something as dumb as this more than once.

It's just too ridiculous that it's melting in the first place.

Like I said in my last post, if it really is fiberglass, then I'd be willing to hold off on my HB scoop order.

No need to be a :excl: about it.

Ken

Once again you are not hearing what I am saying but again I'm not going to argue the points with you. You also didn't catch how you leaving a few hundred dollars on the table! I'm trying to help you.

:headscratch:

Once again you are not hearing what I am saying but again I'm not going to argue the points with you. You also didn't catch how you leaving a few hundred dollars on the table! I'm trying to help you.

:headscratch:

Yeah you're right. I got the call today from Ford that the new scoop had arrived.

I'm going to give your idea a shot. I honestly had no clue that the new design was dissimilar from the original material. I'm sure it's plastered throughout the scoop threads, but somehow I missed it.

Anyway, I'm going to try this again. Maybe I can ask them to punch a few holes to make it functional, while they're at it.

I'll let you guys know how it goes this time around.

Ken

Yeah you're right. I got the call today from Ford that the new scoop had arrived.

I'm going to give your idea a shot. I honestly had no clue that the new design was dissimilar from the original material. I'm sure it's plastered throughout the scoop threads, but somehow I missed it.

Anyway, I'm going to try this again. Maybe I can ask them to punch a few holes to make it functional, while they're at it.

I'll let you guys know how it goes this time around.

Ken

Ken, good luck! Please go back to the other thread and read about he issues with pinched hoods etc., and make sure that the shop understands to be careful not to push the rivets through the hoods second layer or at least drills it out so not to catch.

Again, good luck!

Ken, good luck! Please go back to the other thread and read about he issues with pinched hoods etc., and make sure that the shop understands to be careful not to push the rivets through the hoods second layer or at least drills it out so not to catch.

Again, good luck!

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff. I've dug through everything that I could find about the scoop replacement just now.

I've got a handy little list of bullet points now to go over with the dealer.

Ken

I am told that my car w/ new Shelby scoop will be ready to pick up a week from Saturday! :yahoo:

I just had my new SGT hood scoop and stripes replaced before I bought it.That being said, is this the new

and improved version or have these new one already been having problems.Here some scoop pic's.

Scotty

post-18850-1234586915_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1234586943_thumb.jpg

Edited by COBRA SCOTTY

I just had my new SGT hood scoop and stripes replaced before I bought it.That being said, is this the new

and improved version or have these new one already been having problems.Here some scoop pic's.

Scotty

post-18850-1234587179_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1234587211_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1234587179_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1234587211_thumb.jpg

Edited by COBRA SCOTTY

I had the dealership replace my scoop and stripes before i bought it this week. Is this new hood scoop

considered to be new and improved. here's some pic's of the new hood an stripes.

thanks for any insite on this hood that you can pass along.

SCOTTY

post-18850-1234587974_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1234588001_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1234587974_thumb.jpg

post-18850-1234588001_thumb.jpg

I had the dealership replace my scoop and stripes before i bought it this week. Is this new hood scoop

considered to be new and improved. here's some pic's of the new hood an stripes.

thanks for any insite on this hood that you can pass along.

SCOTTY

You can't tell by pictures but the answer is yes. From the pictures it looks like they did a GREAT job on the stripes!

You can't tell by pictures but the answer is yes. From the pictures it looks like they did a GREAT job on the stripes!

It does look good...I hope mine looks that good! I'll know in a few hours.....

Keeping my rulers crossed for ya!

y

:-)

:cry: As it turns out, the car wasn't quite ready today after all. Unfortunately, since I'll be gone for the next 2 weekends (including the Vegas race), I won't be able to pick it up for 3 weeks. I miss my Shelby GT!!!

I am driving my car A LOT and it is starting to show wear and tear. I am considering just doing nothing about the hood scoop's wrinkled stripes until it is time to paint this thing.... :shrug:

By that time the warranty will be up and you will pay hundreds of dollars for what you can get free today. Even if you beat it you're no worse off as you would STILL be buying the same scoop at the same price. Take the free scoop now and hope for the best! BTW: not to sound like a pessimist but in this economic time, do you want to bet that SAI and the scoops will be available years down the road?

By that time the warranty will be up and you will pay hundreds of dollars for what you can get free today. Even if you beat it you're no worse off as you would STILL be buying the same scoop at the same price. Take the free scoop now and hope for the best! BTW: not to sound like a pessimist but in this economic time, do you want to bet that SAI and the scoops will be available years down the road?

definitely have a good point - maybe do it next winter when I cannot drive it....the thought of parting with it now is undesirable!

definitely have a good point - maybe do it next winter when I cannot drive it....the thought of parting with it now is undesirable!

It's NEVER a good time to part with it!

But based upon what I've seen I wouldn't wait. It seems Ford is looking for reasons to deny these things, especially stripes, so the sooner you file the better! Also don't drop the car off until ALL the parts are in and YOU SEE THEM! The complete install should take no more than a few days.

But based upon what I've seen I wouldn't wait. It seems Ford is looking for reasons to deny these things, especially stripes, so the sooner you file the better! Also don't drop the car off until ALL the parts are in and YOU SEE THEM! The complete install should take no more than a few days.

What Jeff said!!! Make sure they have someone lined up for the install also. My biggest problem getting mine completed is getting someone to do the stripe install. Parts delays were small compared to trying to find someone willing to work with the stripe material, the better guys don't like to work with the stuff SAI stripes are made of or thickness or something. We've had 2-3 guys refuse to even work on it.

Quick question, I have seen some of those GT Mustangs (CS/GT)with hood scoops, they look like they are part of the hood. Are these functional air hoods? I dont see aproblem yet on my SGT, but might consider getting an extra GT Hood w/built-in scoop for the future. Since Ford cant figure out the problem

Quick question, I have seen some of those GT Mustangs (CS/GT)with hood scoops, they look like they are part of the hood. Are these functional air hoods? I dont see aproblem yet on my SGT, but might consider getting an extra GT Hood w/built-in scoop for the future. Since Ford cant figure out the problem

These are not functional...just for looks. But the CS/GT does have a totally different scoop than the SGT ones, some people here did "open up" the scoop area but I'll let them chime in.

Jeff's right - get 'er done!

The scoop on the CS/GT is not a part of the hood, bolts on, nor is it functional.