TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Muffller Rattle in rear

I love this forum and have seen numerous posts on the infamous muffler rattle. I was sure my 2007 did not have it well not till today. I was at a light and decided to let it out for once and got the infamous muffler rattle as I power shifted through the gears. I cannot find the pictures of the fix of cutting the bracket that was posted. Can anybody get me the link so I can spoon feed it to my Ford dealer. Interesting thing is that it seems when it is hot outside and I push the RPMs it happens not under gentle driving.

I love this forum and have seen numerous posts on the infamous muffler rattle. I was sure my 2007 did not have it well not till today. I was at a light and decided to let it out for once and got the infamous muffler rattle as I power shifted through the gears. I cannot find the pictures of the fix of cutting the bracket that was posted. Can anybody get me the link so I can spoon feed it to my Ford dealer. Interesting thing is that it seems when it is hot outside and I push the RPMs it happens not under gentle driving.

I've never seen photos here; but the issue always seems to be the driver's side rear hanger, when the system is hot, the system "grows" and the hanger expands into the metal behind the bumper, should be an easy fix.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about a shifter rattle? That is an infamous gear related vibration rattle issue but I don't know if I ever heard of a rattle from the muffler being associated with simply shifting gears. There are issues that are heard on small bumps or uneven roads.

I had BOTH issues.

The shifter was fixed through cutting the exhaust hangers and there us a PDF post of their location if you search for "hangers" maybe.As for the muffler noises there are multiple issues that can cause this. one cause is listed above, in my case it was a broken muffler hanger that banged on the bumper. Try to shake the pipes and see if one has more play than the other or if you hear a banging noise. But in the end, only up on a lift, with a good tech, can you be sure it's one thing and not another.

Good luck!

Thanks it is in my Dealers hands as we speak :happy feet:

Thanx. I just downloaded it too and will be giving this to my dealer. This will be the second time I have the exhaust fixed.

No problem fellas. Glad to help out. Since that was my 1st post (though I have been a member for well over a year), I'll be sure to post up in the New Members section, with pics of my custom modded '06 GT. I think you guys will like it. :shift:

• 4 weeks later...

My car had the same noise. I found that the drivers side tail pipe was hitting the body over the rear axle when hot. I went under the car and loosend up the exaust clamp behind the X pipe and pulled the pipe towards the frount 1/2-3/4 in. . No more noise. Hope this helps. I also checked the passenger side . There was no room for movement.

Archived