TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got the green light last night...

MMcGuirk

Hi,

My wife said to me last night that I should get another car. (and no I was not dreaming)

This time her wonderful brand of logic worked. She said "you love that green car, it's so pretty :blush: but the miles are starting to really roll up" I was expecting "why don't you get a hybrid, small SUV or truck, you know something "practical" "

Instead I got, why don't you get another Mustang! (is this the same person who called my then stock GT a kiddie car when I brought home for the first time?) I drive approx. 1k miles per month and would split that 80/20 new car / LL GT.

So here are my finalists -

1. 2008 GT 500 in Perf. white with blue stripes

2. 2008 Shelby GTC Grabber orange with silver stripes

3 2002 Saleen SC Sonic blue 15K miles (babied and loved by someone as anal as me)

Let me know what you think.

Michael

Well, I hope you are asking opinions on other sites also because I have a sneaky suspicion that opinion here will lean toward the Shelbys. And those will probably be split by Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT camps.

My opinion. If I was picking up another Mustang for a daily driver it would be the Shelby GT (maybe even a Bullit). If I was picking up another Mustang for pleasure it would be the GT500.

The Grabber Orange Shelby GT is more unique then the GT500. Especially here in SoCal where the GT500s are almost a dime a dozen. However, it is hard to argue against a 500 horsepower factory built GT500. Even as common as they are becoming, people still stop to look at them. The GT500s don't seem to have the ongoing issues like hood scoops and warranty issues are more easily resolved. Also, you will never here that isn't the "real Shelby" or that's the "baby Shelby."

The Shelby GT requires little money to improve on what it is designed to be, the best balanced (horsepower to handling) Mustang. Better brakes (kit or rotors, lines and pads) and an adjustable pan hard rod or watts link and you are set. On the GT500 hand it also requires little add ons to improve on its Blvd beating nature. You can easily push that 500 HP.

For what it is worth.

Hi,

My wife said to me last night that I should get another car. (and no I was not dreaming)

This time her wonderful brand of logic worked. She said "you love that green car, it's so pretty :blush: but the miles are starting to really roll up" I was expecting "why don't you get a hybrid, small SUV or truck, you know something "practical" "

Instead I got, why don't you get another Mustang! (is this the same person who called my then stock GT a kiddie car when I brought home for the first time?) I drive approx. 1k miles per month and would split that 80/20 new car / LL GT.

So here are my finalists -

1. 2008 GT 500 in Perf. white with blue stripes

2. 2008 Shelby GTC Grabber orange with silver stripes

3 2002 Saleen SC Sonic blue 15K miles (babied and loved by someone as anal as me)

Let me know what you think.

Michael

Just remember the GT500 is built by Ford/SVT and does not have a CSM #, it never sees SAI unless your getting the the 40th or Super Snake package. Since your getting an 08 your down to the Super Snake option. It also weighs approx 500lbs more then the Shelby GT. You'll need some new control arms to help get rid of the wheel hop. I think the there's about 19K or more produced 2007-2009.

The Shelby GT is made by Frod but is up fitted by SAI and comes with a CSM #. Shelby does offer some additional mods but not a complete package, yet? It weighs less the the GT500 and handles very well. You are some what liminted to big hp gains with the stock 4.6 engine and I think the total production of the SGT is around 7300 for 2007-2008. Shelby did make a few different SGT's Northern California SGT's, Southern California SGT's and the Barrett Jackson SGT's.

my vote would be #2, one of 219. If you wait a another year or 2 you could pick a nice used GT500 very cheap.

If you're interested a car instead of a pedigree, go with the GT500. The performance upgrades are not that expensive, and the car is phenominal. Don't let anybody kid you, this car has Carroll Shelby all through it. Just because it didn't ship to Las Vegas and back doesn't mean it's not a Shelby.

My second car would probably be a "stock" Terlingua when they happen, but that's because I already have the GT500.

Of those three choices, I would pick #1, even though I already have one. Actually, because I already have one.

Its a tie between 1 and 2 for me.

2 would be the clear winner if you had picked any other color /stripe combination for #1. I love the GT 500 coupe with Performance White and Blue stripes.

I also love the legend lime color of your 06 GT. I wish they had continued that color.

Wow, my wife said we should get another car in January also - so we did - a Civic. :lol:

Of the three options you provided, and assuming money is no factor, I would have to go w/ the GT500. Heck, why not?

If you're looking for power, go with #1, if you're looking for something a little more exclusive go with #2. I'd steer away from the Saleen completely. I like the Saleen/Roush Mustangs, but of those three options I'd go with one of the first 2 choices. However, the Saleen is heavily depreciated out by now so your cost of owning that car would be much less considering the first two will depreciate quite a bit after purchase and if you don't put that many miles on either one, they will be a high priced vehicle when you consider the cost/insurance over time.

Well, I hope you are asking opinions on other sites also because I have a sneaky suspicion that opinion here will lean toward the Shelbys. And those will probably be split by Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT camps.

My opinion. If I was picking up another Mustang for a daily driver it would be the Shelby GT (maybe even a Bullit). If I was picking up another Mustang for pleasure it would be the GT500.

The Grabber Orange Shelby GT is more unique then the GT500. Especially here in SoCal where the GT500s are almost a dime a dozen. However, it is hard to argue against a 500 horsepower factory built GT500. Even as common as they are becoming, people still stop to look at them. The GT500s don't seem to have the ongoing issues like hood scoops and warranty issues are more easily resolved. Also, you will never here that isn't the "real Shelby" or that's the "baby Shelby."

The Shelby GT requires little money to improve on what it is designed to be, the best balanced (horsepower to handling) Mustang. Better brakes (kit or rotors, lines and pads) and an adjustable pan hard rod or watts link and you are set. On the GT500 hand it also requires little add ons to improve on its Blvd beating nature. You can easily push that 500 HP.

For what it is worth.

+1 shelby gt (maybe stick on a small sc) would be my choice if it had to be a daily driver. My GT500, however, is absolutely great as a car for fun driving mainly.

Money no object? Go for the 500. :happy feet:

Or - consider doing what I did. I bought a GT and modified it - and had/having a blast doing it My Way!

Ruf buddy,

read my sig, I am running out of ways to mod my 06 GT - kind of been there done that. Love the car, but I want another one. I am really leaning toward the GTC.

Add a Fay's 2, a set of D Specs and get back to reasonable fuel economy. my Whippled GT now gets 14-16 MPG.

Thanks,

michael

Archived