TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The "S"?

There is a thread on TD arguing the meaning of the S in GLHS. Many have heard the Mr Shelby said it was for Goes Like Hell Somemore, but others say that it is Goes Like Hell Shelby (as opposed to the Mopar built Goes Like Hell). I figured I'd go to the horse for the true answer. :shift:

Here's a scan of page two of the Shelby GLHS press kit. Check out the second paragraph. This press kit was produced by Shelby Automobiles, Inc. Whittier, CA

If Carroll's company puts out a press release saying that the 'S' stands for "Somemore" thats good enough for me. I'll trust factory paperwork over a magazine article anyday.

Steve

GLHSSomemore.jpg

I have a similar question when it comes to the 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z C/S Models. Dodge literature from the era (which I have) states that it stands for Carroll Shelby, but many think it stands for Competition Series or Competition Special and of late California Special. A link to the page of the original Daytona sales brochure which I scanned is here. Can you please clarify or provide some written proof like above. Thanks! :)

I have a similar question when it comes to the 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z C/S Models. Dodge literature from the era (which I have) states that it stands for Carroll Shelby, but many think it stands for Competition Series or Competition Special and of late California Special. A link to the page of the original Daytona sales brochure which I scanned is here. Can you please clarify or provide some written proof like above. Thanks! :)

Hi Mike

I got your PM and was going to try and run it by Carroll when I could but I'll try and help right now.

IIRC the C/S model Daytona's stood for both Carroll Shelby or Competition Series depending on the year. We know in 1986 it stood for Carroll Shelby because of your scanned sales brochure.

In 1987 that option disappeared. It returned in 1988 as a mid-year option and the Chrysler Press Kit refers to it as a "C/S Performance Package" with no explanation of what the CS stands for.

Actually the paperwork I have shows TWO C/S Performance Packages for the 1988 Daytona depending if you had the T-I or T-II engine.

I'll have to pull out the 1989 & 1990 press kits to see what they say.

I'll post a couple of scan whens I get a minute.

Steev

Would be very cool to get something official from Carroll himself about the 86 Model to settle this issue once and for all. Thanks for all your effort so far! :)

You have to keep in mind that this Daytona was a Chrysler built Shelby model meaning that it was the folks in Michigan that developed the car including naming the option packages. Yes they had to get approval from Carroll to use his name but I'm quite confident the name was chosen by the Chrysler marketing department.

As far as something official from Carroll to settle the 1986 issue, I'm not exactly sure what needs settling. Your new car brochure says right there in print the name Carroll Shelby. How can anyone deny that?

You can always send in your brochure to the CSCF charity and ask Carroll to autograph it on that page that spells out his name. There is a required donation to the charity for an autograph though so thats something you will have to decide on.

Steve

PS- I'll continue to do more research on this C/S question as it does come up from time to time so it would be great to get this info into the TS archive.

You have to keep in mind that this Daytona was a Chrysler built Shelby model meaning that it was the folks in Michigan that developed the car including naming the option packages. Yes they had to get approval from Carroll to use his name but I'm quite confident the name was chosen by the Chrysler marketing department.

That's why I call it Carroll Shelby inspired! ;)

As far as something official from Carroll to settle the 1986 issue, I'm not exactly sure what needs settling. Your new car brochure says right there in print the name Carroll Shelby. How can anyone deny that?

I know what your saying, but you still have the folks that think Chrysler just used his name without consulting with him first.

You can always send in your brochure to the CSCF charity and ask Carroll to autograph it on that page that spells out his name. There is a required donation to the charity for an autograph though so thats something you will have to decide on.

Good idea, but what does an Autograph prove to the naysayer. Would be nice to have something that says that the C/S stands for Carrol Shelby from Mr. Shelby himself besides Chrysler. I guess something from the archives would be nice as well. I really hope the Shelby inspired and build products from the 80's and early 90's get there due respect from Team Shelby and Mr. Shelby. What does an autograph go for nowadays? :)

I really hope the Shelby inspired and build products from the 80's and early 90's get there due respect from Team Shelby and Mr. Shelby.

The fact that as soon as teamshelby was asked if we were welcome here, they provided us with our own section, is proof that we are part of the family. :shift:

Guys just to be clear our Dodge cars are part of Team Shelby and have been from day one. We do have to accept that we are the minority here so although we have great plans in the works, for now we have to continue with baby steps.

While the most exciting plans can not yet be discussed outside of the Shelby organization we have announced and implemented some plans already.

First we have our own section here on the TS forums. In fact Amy has just asked for our section to be updated with a more "Dodge Flair" so we can stand out from the other sections.

Then we have the Dodge cars being added to the Shelby Museum in Las Vegas. This is a great benefit to us with the exposure it will bring.

We have also added the Dodge cars to the official SAI Shelby Registry. Yes our cars will be right there next to the vintage and current Shelby's when the registry goes online.

An web archive of Shelby Dodge material is being compiled as we speak. Can you say one stop viewing for all your Shelby Dodge questions.

We have been offered space in the Team Shelby newsletter whenever we need it. I've already written two articles complete with never before seen pics from the Whittier facility.

I wish I could discuss our most recent plans right now as they are exciting, so all I can say is stay tuned as any Shelby Dodge news will be announced here first on Team Shelby.

And may I add a big thank you to Carroll and Amy for bringing all the cars together. It actually feels like one big family and that was something that always was missing from the Shelby world.

Steve

Archived