TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone Coming From the East

sprint200

We'll be leaving OKC Wednesday and spending the night in Abilene. We've driven the Abilene-Terlingua leg before and (depending on driving speeds :ohsnap: ) Lajitas should be about an 8 hour drive.

It would be more fun in a group...............anyone?.....................Ferris?.................anyone?...............

We'll be leaving OKC Wednesday and spending the night in Abilene. We've driven the Abilene-Terlingua leg before and (depending on driving speeds :ohsnap: ) Lajitas should be about an 8 hour drive.

It would be more fun in a group...............anyone?.....................Ferris?.................anyone?...............

we were going to go but the price turned us off. I wonder what would happen to party crashers? :slapfight:

Jeff, keep tuned in to the thread MMguirk has about the CA caravan. We are trying to drive the golden sparkplug as Matt says in either Van Horn or Alpine TX and then cruise into Terlingua together on that Thursday. I kinda figured you might come down 35 and hook up with the San Antonio guys and Houston will come that away and hook up on the way out west.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=30922&hl=

Jeff, keep tuned in to the thread MMguirk has about the CA caravan. We are trying to drive the golden sparkplug as Matt says in either Van Horn or Alpine TX and then cruise into Terlingua together on that Thursday. I kinda figured you might come down 35 and hook up with the San Antonio guys and Houston will come that away and hook up on the way out west.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=30922&hl=

msmap,

Good to hear from you again. How goes the 'vettes anonymous support group? :finger: j/k

The most direct route for me is I-44 through Wichita Falls and down to Abilene......etc. If I "wanted" to do a 13 hour day I could. And that option is on the table for us. But if we could meet up with some other folks in Abilene, I thought that that would be more fun. We will go through Alpine though, so it would be great to meet the whole group there!

$helbyGT, have you determined a travel route yet?

Jeff, whatcha doing after you hit Abilene? Keep coming south on 277 to I-10, we'll pick you up on the way west :)

I need to get together with oilbleak and see which way he thinks is the better way to go, then we can figure out all the meeting places.

vettes anonymous is going strong :D:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't decided on a route yet. It'll be the one with the most interstate before I have to hit small towns. Looking at the map, my route will look something like this:

I35 to I10 and head west,

to hwy 285 and head south (for video purposes)

Arrive at Sanderson and head west again on hwy 90

At Alpine head south to Terlingua/Event

The video tape is for visualization purposes when I do the Big Bend Open Road Race next year. They shut down 285 completely so that we can race it.

If the info Michael (MMcGuirk) has is correct and we do indeed need to be in LaJitas around noon on Thursday, then Odessa would be a good overnight for anyone coming down I-44/I-30/I-20. Leaving Odessa about 7:45am would put us in Alpine by 10:30am and LaJitas by 12:00 or 12:30.

Based on that timeline, we would probably leave OKC via I-44 around noon on Wednesday. Allowing for an hour for dinner somewhere SW of Wichita Falls, we should roll in to Odessa around 9:00pm. If anyone is coming through, or from, Missouri etc............on I-44 you'll pass within 2 miles of our departure point.

Anyone that would like to caravan based on this schedule (or a close derivative......) shoot me a PM and we can make hotel arrangements and rendevous plans.

If the info Michael (MMcGuirk) has is correct and we do indeed need to be in LaJitas around noon on Thursday, then Odessa would be a good overnight for anyone coming down I-44/I-30/I-20. Leaving Odessa about 7:45am would put us in Alpine by 10:30am and LaJitas by 12:00 or 12:30.

Based on that timeline, we would probably leave OKC via I-44 around noon on Wednesday. Allowing for an hour for dinner somewhere SW of Wichita Falls, we should roll in to Odessa around 9:00pm. If anyone is coming through, or from, Missouri etc............on I-44 you'll pass within 2 miles of our departure point.

Anyone that would like to caravan based on this schedule (or a close derivative......) shoot me a PM and we can make hotel arrangements and rendevous plans.

Jeff,

Raise your kids in Midland and raise your hell in Odessa. Either would put you closer to Terlingua Thursday morning and you'd have an easier time catching up to us from there instead of Abilene.

Matt

I'll be coming from NC? Anyone else?

I will be coming down from Louisville KY. Received confirmation today.

Looks like Memphis then Dallas, anyone coming from the East let me know, will be driving the car

(Vapor 08), should be a great time.

Regards,

Philip

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of spending the night in SA and taking 90 out to Alpine for the night. But now I don't know yet what everyone here in Htown is up to yet. I have going I-10 to Van Horn on the stove also to meet up with the CA bunch. Too many choices, don't know which way to go yet.

I was thinking of spending the night in SA and taking 90 out to Alpine for the night. But now I don't know yet what everyone here in Htown is up to yet. I have going I-10 to Van Horn on the stove also to meet up with the CA bunch. Too many choices, don't know which way to go yet.

Sherri,

Sherri,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet on my plans - I'm still waiting to hear what SAI's plans are before deciding if I want to go all the way out to Van Horn or just drive straight to Alpine. Once I know what their plans are I'll be able to finalize mine.

Matt

Sherri,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet on my plans - I'm still waiting to hear what SAI's plans are before deciding if I want to go all the way out to Van Horn or just drive straight to Alpine. Once I know what their plans are I'll be able to finalize mine.

Matt

hmmm, I am thinking more about Alpine. Van Horn is 100 miles past Alpine and that will make for a very long day. I do not want to wear myself out getting there.

Yeah, we built alot of the roads out there in the late 90's, so I have a good idea of how would go, if no one else mattered, but I am also like you wanting to be flexible to be able to see all my fellow TS groupies! Van Horn would be alot to bite off.

On another note, I was thinking of towing my car out there...anyone thinking that? I know U-Haul has a nice car trailer they rent.

I'd like to drive my car the whole way, but it would be convenient to have:

A. extra storage on my truck,

B. keep the miles off my car

C. a backup vehicle driving 200 miles from anything....

Anyone coming from the northeast here are my plans.

Tuesday

I-76/ PA Pike west to

I-81 South Carlisle PA to

I-40 West just east of Knoxville to

Overnight Bellevue, TN just west of Nashville

Wednedsay

Pick-up wife at Memphis airport in AM

I-40 West through Memphis to

I-30 West Little Rock to

I-20 West Dallas/ Fort Worth to

Overnight Midland or Odessa TX

Thursday

Head to Lajitas with Odessa caravan.

Please let me know if you can provide any info on this route or want to try to join up somewhere

• 4 weeks later...

Tuesday

I-76/ PA Pike west to

I-81 South Carlisle PA to

I-40 West just east of Knoxville to

Overnight Bellevue, TN just west of Nashville

Wednedsay

I-40 West through Memphis to

I-30 West Little Rock to

Overnight Midland or Odessa TX

Thursday

Pick-up wife at Midland airport in AM

head to Lajitas

Please let me know if you can provide any info on this route or want to try to join up somewhere

Ron,

I'm Leaving Canton Ohio On Tuesday Sept 23, Here's my itinerary:

Tuesday

I-71 South Canton Ohio to Louisville KY

I-65 South to Nashville to

I-40 West to Memphis to

I-30 West to Little Rock AR , Rest over Night (RON)

Wednedsay

I-30 West Little Rock to

Texas 18 South to

Texas 385 South to Alpine, TX (RON)

Thursday

Leave Alpine approximately 1100 with Caravan to

Lajitas

Close to yours', but the timing is a little off. Regards.

Stuart

Ron,

I'm Leaving Canton Ohio On Tuesday Sept 23, Here's my itinerary:

Tuesday

I-71 South Canton Ohio to Louisville KY

I-65 South to Nashville to

I-40 West to Memphis to

I-30 West to Little Rock AR , Rest over Night (RON)

Wednedsay

I-30 West Little Rock to

Texas 18 South to

Texas 385 South to Alpine, TX (RON)

Thursday

Leave Alpine approximately 1100 with Caravan to

Lajitas

Close to yours', but the timing is a little off. Regards.

Stuart

bump

Leaving Tulsa after lunch Wed/planning on driving to Midland-Odessa,where are people staying;need to book a room

Scott

doc,

I'm sending you a PM.

If you could leave a little bit earlier Wednesday, you can join with us on the way to Odessa. We're planning on rolling out of Edmond at high noon. With pit stops and trailer towing speeds, we should arrive in Odessa around 9 PM.

Stuart- You are going to be way ahead of me your whole trip

sprint200- We might catch your group near Midland. Depends on traffic. Do you have a leaving time Thurs. morning?

I think we have the furthest to travel Thursday morning to get to Alpine and at least 4 of us are pulling trailers. So I think we should try to leave the hotel by 7:15 am (definitely no later than 7:30 am). That should put us in Alpine by 10:30 and the whole group could head south shortly after 10:45 am allowing for a quick refueling stop.

We leave Almere on Wednesday morning at 11 AM. In 1 hr we are at Schiphol Airport. We leave 2 PM. After 13,5 hrs we have traveled the 5500 miles to San Antonio with stop in Houston. An average of more then 400 miles per hour with stop. Now beat that. We arrive at 8.25 PM.

We hope to sit in the rental Mustang within 1 hr :peelout: and drive to Alpine. We think we won't make that so we sleep somewhere along the I10. We don't want to end up in a ditch after such a long journey. :nonono: We think we arive in Alpine at 10 AM on Thursday. :banvictory:

Archived