TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT feels faster than Bullitt - Why?

al ellison

I have an SGT-C and my buddy has a new Bullitt. After he drove my car, he could not believe how much faster the Shelby seemed. I drove his car and had the same feeling. Does anyone have pictures of their torque curves? Does anyone know how their could be such a difference on such similiar cars?

Thank you,

Al

I have an SGT-C and my buddy has a new Bullitt. After he drove my car, he could not believe how much faster the Shelby seemed. I drove his car and had the same feeling. Does anyone have pictures of their torque curves? Does anyone know how their could be such a difference on such similiar cars?

Thank you,

Al

It's because green is the slowest color. :hysterical:

It may be the suspension. The Bullitt has a modified Mustang GT suspension but the spring rates are a little softer than the FRPP handling pack. If I remember correctly, the SGT doesn't use the FRPP package but something very similar. The stiff spring rates may be giving the "sense" of speed. With the 3.73 and a modified engine program + CAI the Bullitt should be just as fast or a little faster accelerating. You didn't say if your friend was running 91/93 octane in it. The Bullitt can run 87 but the computer senses it and switches to a less aggressive program that results in stock GT HP and torque numbers. If he had a mixed tank, the sensor may have still reduced timing and HP.

Thank you,

Al

Al,

Why don't you two race to see which one is faster?

He is running 93 octane. Great idea - we should race! I would still like to see their torque curves side by side; I bet Grabber has this information...

It may be the suspension. The Bullitt has a modified Mustang GT suspension but the spring rates are a little softer than the FRPP handling pack. If I remember correctly, the SGT doesn't use the FRPP package but something very similar. The stiff spring rates may be giving the "sense" of speed. With the 3.73 and a modified engine program + CAI the Bullitt should be just as fast or a little faster accelerating.

I own both a 2008 Bullitt and a 2007 SGT and I think you hit the nail on the head.

The Bullitt is a smoother ride. So, the SGT feels faster. However, I can shift the Bullit shifter faster.

I think a trained driver would post very similar 1/4 mile times in both cars.

WTH, I love both of 'em. :happy feet:

I haven't driven either car but I have a Mustang GT with the FRPP handling pack and the Saleen supercharger. When I put the the FRPP handling pack on, the car "felt" faster even though I had already put the FRPP drag pack on and increased the HP to the Bullitt/SGT level.

When I put the blower on however, I knew the car was faster :happy feet:

Thank you,

Al

Here's my STOCK numbers from the 4th of July...

stockdyno7-4-08.jpg

Dan

I had a chance to get real close and personal with a bullitt on Sat when I had by baby at the ford lot for some warranty work, Heres my opinion:

I would say maybe cause that bullitt is not geting as much air in the motor as the sgt. my reason, have you noticed how small the grille opening is on the bullitt. Its like, and i did not measure with a tape, 16 inches wide and 4.5 inches tall. the rest of the grille is filled honeycomb. another, the cold air kit suround seals really well against the bottom of the hood, the car was dirty under the hood and was clean over where the aircleaner is, it seemed to pullair only from the four inch hole in the inner fender. I have always thought bring more air in take more air out is a way to get better numbers. at least this would make since to me. anyone else?

also just my opinion, they are ugly!

If I remember correctly, the SGT doesn't use the FRPP package but something very similar.

Incorrect, the SGT does in fact use FRPP suspension products. The Bullitt does not.

Archived