TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Making your own steering wheel cap

motorjock205

Someone posted information on here a while back about how to do this, but I can't find the post to save my life!!! Anyone have that thing book marked or able to point me to it??? It might be worth a try since it doesn't look like SAI is going to offer us a steering wheel cap any time soon to match the Berg Cap on the back...

Don't remember that one Carl. :shrug:

Yeah, it was somewhere about the time the Berg cap became available and everyone started asking about a matching steering wheel cap...someone, I can't for the life of me remember who, chimed in with some fairly detailed information on how to make your own custom caps. Darn I hate it when I can't remember something, but it's sure happening a lot more the older I get!!! :doh:

Come on guys!!! I know I wasn't making this up or dreaming it...as a matter of fact, I found where I even made reference to it back in June when everyone was talking about the steering wheel cap wishes and the gas cap was on it's way....and that was in June, so it had to have been a short time before that...maybe someone had a link to something else, but I've looked in all the threads I can think of and just can't find it! But I KNOW i saw it!!! Just can't remember where it was! I HATE GETTING OLD!!! :shrug:

Come on guys!!! I know I wasn't making this up or dreaming it...as a matter of fact, I found where I even made reference to it back in June when everyone was talking about the steering wheel cap wishes and the gas cap was on it's way....and that was in June, so it had to have been a short time before that...maybe someone had a link to something else, but I've looked in all the threads I can think of and just can't find it! But I KNOW i saw it!!! Just can't remember where it was! I HATE GETTING OLD!!! :shrug:

If I were to venture a guess I would say it would have to be JBFabricator. He does some nice stuff.

EDIT; This what you are looking for?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=439124

Edit 2.0

Roger has one too but the pic is missing.

Oh wait. It's not missing I'm just Websensed....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...rn+button\

If I were to venture a guess I would say it would have to be JBFabricator. He does some nice stuff.

EDIT; This what you are looking for?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=439124

Edit 2.0

Roger has one too but the pic is missing.

Oh wait. It's not missing I'm just Websensed....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...rn+button\

Nope, those aren't the post either...already looked at those...this guy was talking about how easy it was to make your own by starting with an aluminum piece, then laminating after getting your raised portion done and all that...

There was also a link to someone that had all kinds of WILD gas cap covers that were airbrushed I guess, but who knows...maybe it was all a bad dream!!!

I was just hoping to find it again, because my wife is an art teacher, and probably has the talent to do what he was describing and make it look very good...

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some images borrowed from the above-mentioned site which show how the emblem attaches to the steering wheel hub...

4372.jpg

4373.jpg

4374.jpg

According to the poster there, "The center cap emblem is made of nothing but thin tin metal. It can be pryed off with a couple of small screwdrivers. It's held in place with six thin tabs, nothing more. It took me about two minutes to remove it. "

Here are some images borrowed from the above-mentioned site which show how the emblem attaches to the steering wheel hub...

4372.jpg

4373.jpg

4374.jpg

According to the poster there, "The center cap emblem is made of nothing but thin tin metal. It can be pryed off with a couple of small screwdrivers. It's held in place with six thin tabs, nothing more. It took me about two minutes to remove it. "

I'm not real crazy about having to do a lot of trimming on the airbag like that guy did in that post...plus having to use RTV sealant to get the disc to stick to that...

I have ordered the Saleen "kit" for now just to get the pony outline for the steering wheel cap, and I've sent Michael at MTM Unlimited some more information along with pics of this "kit" so hopefully he'll come up with a price real soon for me to do the BERG snake on the steering wheel cap, front grille emblem, and all four GT500 center caps...

Here are pics of the Saleen 'kit"

post-19184-1217607030.jpgpost-19184-1217607041.jpg[at

tachment=32547:saleen_pony_cover.jpg]

post-19184-1217607050.jpg

post-19184-1217607030.jpg

post-19184-1217607041.jpg

post-19184-1217607050.jpg

Thanks for that link there Erich...I found the information on the Saleen "kit" in there and hopefully that will get me on the way to what I'm wanting for my car!

also, for anyone else who is looking for this kit, here's the link to it so you don't have to browsing through several pages of that forum...

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101...10-9100-B15616*

Thanks for that link there Erich...I found the information on the Saleen "kit" in there and hopefully that will get me on the way to what I'm wanting for my car!

also, for anyone else who is looking for this kit, here's the link to it so you don't have to browsing through several pages of that forum...

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101...10-9100-B15616*

You are welcome Carl. Don't thank me, thank Willie. Keep us posted on your project!

Erich

Archived