TEAM SHELBY FORUM

functional hood scoop

Shelbyfied

Yes its hear!

Functional hood scoop, functional rivets, and KR bar on whipple

:shrug: ....so....what are we looking at here???

This fabrication was done at Posie's Rod Shop. It is a Ford Racing strut tower brace used on the KR. It has been modified to clear the Whipple. The underside of the hood was also modified to make the scoop functional.

Roger

This fabrication was done at Posie's Rod Shop. It is a Ford Racing strut tower brace used on the KR. It has been modified to clear the Whipple. The underside of the hood was also modified to make the scoop functional.

Roger

Wow, that's some nice work.

I don't know how much that was never mentioned. I do have pictures buy they are from the original poster who was a Shelby Autos Forum member. He is not on this site as much as he was on the other site. I'll ask is he will allow me to post.

Roger

Actually, unless the Holes direct Air in a chamber to the Throtle Body (Via Filter Box) then all it does is blow Air on the Engine as well as Water from Rain and Washing. I'm not sure how hard it would be to make the Air Chamber with the Strut Bar.

David.

Actually, unless the Holes direct Air in a chamber to the Throtle Body (Via Filter Box) then all it does is blow Air on the Engine as well as Water from Rain and Washing. I'm not sure how hard it would be to make the Air Chamber with the Strut Bar.

David.

That is what I was thinking . I like the idea and the work is great but what about the scoop is functional. You need to make a port to the intake to draw outside air.

Not hammering your idea there Shelbyfied, just commenting.

I don't know how much that was never mentioned. I do have pictures buy they are from the original poster who was a Shelby Autos Forum member. He is not on this site as much as he was on the other site. I'll ask is he will allow me to post.

Roger

All told, $3k. The idea was to cool things off under the hood as the Whipple just made it all warmer. I really did not intend in this mod to force air to the ram intake. But, in my little twisted mind, any cooler air helps. Even in the spring I could feel heat through the fire wall, or I imagined I did. Psychologically, it all works for me.

Additionally, I could not stand the thought of losing the STB. I was naive and only found it gone following the Whipple install. Got otu the FRP catalog during my bed time readking(keep a copy on the night stand) and saw the "KR" stb. Of course, it bumped the whipple and the air intake. Not to be undaunted, I trekked off to Posies. They did one heck of a job. I would not tout it as the fix for all, but, I am very very pleased with my little twist on the shelby effort.

In closing, the scoop seems to be very stable now. Still has its cute little dimple direct from the factory, but, if I am not mistaken, these imperfections were all part of the Shelby way. The may went fast in style, he did not pursue the concours tropy. So, the legend lives on.

My next aspiration, if I do dump the cash is a 6 speed install as it seems the jump from 2nd to 3rd is long. Add a 4:10, but, I digress!

ps, this is #3501, survivor of "fridge boy" if you have been around long enough to know the story. In fact, fridge boy, now all of 14 started this post, I think he may trade under Shelbyfied! He is up for lease!

stwsam

hershey, PA

All told, $3k. The idea was to cool things off under the hood as the Whipple just made it all warmer. I really did not intend in this mod to force air to the ram intake. But, in my little twisted mind, any cooler air helps. Even in the spring I could feel heat through the fire wall, or I imagined I did. Psychologically, it all works for me.

Additionally, I could not stand the thought of losing the STB. I was naive and only found it gone following the Whipple install. Got otu the FRP catalog during my bed time readking(keep a copy on the night stand) and saw the "KR" stb. Of course, it bumped the whipple and the air intake. Not to be undaunted, I trekked off to Posies. They did one heck of a job. I would not tout it as the fix for all, but, I am very very pleased with my little twist on the shelby effort.

In closing, the scoop seems to be very stable now. Still has its cute little dimple direct from the factory, but, if I am not mistaken, these imperfections were all part of the Shelby way. The may went fast in style, he did not pursue the concours tropy. So, the legend lives on.

My next aspiration, if I do dump the cash is a 6 speed install as it seems the jump from 2nd to 3rd is long. Add a 4:10, but, I digress!

ps, this is #3501, survivor of "fridge boy" if you have been around long enough to know the story. In fact, fridge boy, now all of 14 started this post, I think he may trade under Shelbyfied! He is up for lease!

stwsam

hershey, PA

I remember "fridge boy,"I still cringe at the thought.

• 2 months later...

stwsam

hershey, PA

This is the scoop we should have had. Looks great!

The Shelby way, as you describe, is not what people like me expect - lame quality parts and poor warrantee support.

It's a shame to me that you had to pay $3k extra for what should have been done in the first place. The originals had their stripes painted on.

Oh and beware of the 6 speed. When I was at the Dealer (Drew in La Mesa) today they had a brand new Shelby GT500 on the rack getting it's trans changed out. Not sure what happened, but that's not a good sign.

Mark

All told, $3k.......Still has its cute little dimple direct from the factory, but, if I am not mistaken, these imperfections were all part of the Shelby way.

stwsam,

I initially thought about making the stock hood scoop functional as well. But when it heated up and started warping the cosmetics disturbed me and I wished to correct that as well as opening the hood scoop up into the engine compartment. For that reason I changed the materials the scoop was made out of as the cute little dimple, curled up edges, and ripples really bothered me. No dimples here...... nothing but smooooooth sailing.

Chip

post-12804-1223855171_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1223855171_thumb.jpg

Archived