TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Caravan from California to Terlingua

MMcGuirk

Hi,

We are planning out the trip from LA to Terlingua.

The tentative schedule is to leave mid day 9/23 stopping in the Phoenix area, Phoenix to El Paso on the 24th and El Paso to Terlingua on the morning of the 25th. I am open to alternative schedules.

Once I get a headcount and a quorum on the schedule, I will look into room reservations.

Send me a PM with your email address if you are interested in joining us.

Michael

I'm in :shift: . I'll be driving my Shelby so whatever timetable and layover points that suit you are fine with me.

This is me right now. :dance:

Tony

I'm in as well. I bought my GT500 in Dallas and drove it home in March of 07 and that was a blast. This will be just that much better with other Shelbys to join in!!!

I've made the El Paso to Phoenix run a couple of time (not in my Shelby though) and you might be able to push a bit farther for that leg. The last time I made the trip, I left El Paso in the morning and rolled through Phoenix that afternoon. You can probably make it out to Van Horn without an excessive amount of driving that day. Personally, I'd be a little wary of stopping for the night in El Paso. It's right on the border and that section of I-10 is used heavially by people smuggling drugs and/or people into the country or getting stolen cars into Mexico. The car thieves typically favor the SUV type of vehicle (you can smuggle more in an SUV than a Focus), but I'd hate to hear that some cartel drug lord added a Shelby to his collection. I'm not saying you should avoid stopping in El Paso at all costs, but I do recommend that if you do stop there you find a very nice hotel with a bit more security than just some kid working the counter. If you do push past El Paso, keep an eye on the clock - stop for the night around 5:00 pm at the latest. Any later and Lajitas may actually be the closest town with a vacant room. I made that mistake coming back and had to drive from Needles, California all the way to Fort Stockton, TX because we couldn't finda single room along I-10 between El Paso and Ft. Stockton.

Matt

I've made the El Paso to Phoenix run a couple of time (not in my Shelby though) and you might be able to push a bit farther for that leg. The last time I made the trip, I left El Paso in the morning and rolled through Phoenix that afternoon. You can probably make it out to Van Horn without an excessive amount of driving that day. Personally, I'd be a little wary of stopping for the night in El Paso. It's right on the border and that section of I-10 is used heavially by people smuggling drugs and/or people into the country or getting stolen cars into Mexico. The car thieves typically favor the SUV type of vehicle (you can smuggle more in an SUV than a Focus), but I'd hate to hear that some cartel drug lord added a Shelby to his collection. I'm not saying you should avoid stopping in El Paso at all costs, but I do recommend that if you do stop there you find a very nice hotel with a bit more security than just some kid working the counter. If you do push past El Paso, keep an eye on the clock - stop for the night around 5:00 pm at the latest. Any later and Lajitas may actually be the closest town with a vacant room. I made that mistake coming back and had to drive from Needles, California all the way to Fort Stockton, TX because we couldn't finda single room along I-10 between El Paso and Ft. Stockton.

Matt

Matt

Thanks for the input. I will take that into consideration.

Michael

guys, keep me posted we will also be making the run with thr trucks, not sure when we are leaving, but maybe we can all go together

Amy

guys, keep me posted we will also be making the run with thr trucks, not sure when we are leaving, but maybe we can all go together

Amy

Amy,

I almost want to drive from Houston to Vegas and then back to Terlingua if it meant caravaning with the SAI trucks.

Amy

Hey Amy,

What is their route gonna be? When would they be turning off I-10 to Terlingua? Maybe we could meet up near there somewhere. Matt will know more if that is a possibility :) There are a few that will be coming from Houston and others catching I-10 in San Antonio.

To simplify my explanations, I'll refer to those coming east on I-10 from Cali as "Easters" and those of us that'll be coming west from Houston as "Westers". Forming one uber-caravan for the last leg of the trip sounds like a great idea and I'm on board for whatever we decide. It'll really depend on where we want to form this uber caravan. Here are a few route possibilities as I see them but it won't hurt my feelings if anyone has an alternate that I've over looked.

Option 1 - Meet up somewhere along I-10 and make the entire drive south to Terlingua as a group:

It'll take about 7 or 8 hours of driving to get from Houston to anywhere someone coming east on I-10 could turn off and head south to Terlingua . I'd rather not try to make it there and then down to Terlingua in one stretch, which means leaving Houston on Wednesday and stopping somewhere for a hotel. If us westers have to get a hotel room, we might as well get a room at the same hotel as the easters (and get the weekend rolling one day earlier). Van Horn is about the only town out there between El Paso and Ft. Stockton that we'll all be able to get rooms. There's a couple big chain hotels (like Best Western, Holiday Inn, etc.) so a phone call or two from Sharon might be able to get us a group rate and a block of rooms all together. Then Thursday morning around 9:00 we could roll out Van Horn south on Hwy 90. It'd take about 3 hours to get down to Terlingua which would put us at the hotel around noon. Fort Stockton has some hotels, but that is a really long drive from Phoenix and there's no sense in people getting to Terlingua so tired from the drive there that they just want to sleep the whole weekend.

Option 2 - Meet up somewhere south of I-10:

Us westers are still looking at 7 or 8 hour drive regardless of where we meet up, but meeting up somewhere south of I-10 would eliminate some back tracking we'd have to do if we met the easters in Van Horn. So where would be a good place to meet up in that area? Alpine looks like it has some decent hotels so the westers could spend the night there and join up with the easters as they roll through mid-morning. It'll take about 1 1/2 or 2 hours to drive from Alpine to Terlingua, which would give that last leg of the trip a nice car cruise type of feeling. Since VorpalBunny lives in Terlingua, if he wanted to be part of the caravan I'm guessing that he'd be more interested in joining us in Alpine than Van Horn since it'd cut half the distance he'd have to drive. Of course, there's nothing stopping him from meeting us in Alpine even if we all meet up in Van Horn.

Regardless of which option we go with:

For those coming from the East (like Lulu and Apple), they could either meet up with us westers in Houston and make the drive to wherever we meet the easters or they could just drive straight to where we'll all meet up (I'm not sure which route they'll be taking). And for those of us like Torquewrench and SprSnk that will be leaving from Austin, we could either coordinate a meeting place in San Antonio or Kerrville or they could just meet us at the Wednesday night distination. Both options are viable, it'll just depend on what we want - whether we want to start the event Wednesday night at a hotel in Van Horn or have a nice car cruise feel for the last hour or two of the drive.

Of course, this whole discussion begs the question of whether someone (Amy perhaps) will drive a golden railroad spike (or spark plug) into the ground when and where us westers meet up with you easters.

Matt

To simplify my explanations, I'll refer to those coming east on I-10 from Cali as "Easters" and those of us that'll be coming west from Houston as "Westers". Forming one uber-caravan for the last leg of the trip sounds like a great idea and I'm on board for whatever we decide. It'll really depend on where we want to form this uber caravan. Here are a few route possibilities as I see them but it won't hurt my feelings if anyone has an alternate that I've over looked.

Option 1 - Meet up somewhere along I-10 and make the entire drive south to Terlingua as a group:

It'll take about 7 or 8 hours of driving to get from Houston to anywhere someone coming east on I-10 could turn off and head south to Terlingua . I'd rather not try to make it there and then down to Terlingua in one stretch, which means leaving Houston on Wednesday and stopping somewhere for a hotel. If us westers have to get a hotel room, we might as well get a room at the same hotel as the easters (and get the weekend rolling one day earlier). Van Horn is about the only town out there between El Paso and Ft. Stockton that we'll all be able to get rooms. There's a couple big chain hotels (like Best Western, Holiday Inn, etc.) so a phone call or two from Sharon might be able to get us a group rate and a block of rooms all together. Then Thursday morning around 9:00 we could roll out Van Horn south on Hwy 90. It'd take about 3 hours to get down to Terlingua which would put us at the hotel around noon. Fort Stockton has some hotels, but that is a really long drive from Phoenix and there's no sense in people getting to Terlingua so tired from the drive there that they just want to sleep the whole weekend.

Us westers are still looking at 7 or 8 hour drive regardless of where we meet up, but meeting up somewhere south of I-10 would eliminate some back tracking we'd have to do if we met the easters in Van Horn. So where would be a good place to meet up in that area? Alpine looks like it has some decent hotels so the westers could spend the night there and join up with the easters as they roll through mid-morning. It'll take about 1 1/2 or 2 hours to drive from Alpine to Terlingua, which would give that last leg of the trip a nice car cruise type of feeling. Since VorpalBunny lives in Terlingua, if he wanted to be part of the caravan I'm guessing that he'd be more interested in joining us in Alpine than Van Horn since it'd cut half the distance he'd have to drive. Of course, there's nothing stopping him from meeting us in Alpine even if we all meet up in Van Horn.

For those coming from the East (like Lulu and Apple), they could either meet up with us westers in Houston and make the drive to wherever we meet the easters or they could just drive straight to where we'll all meet up (I'm not sure which route they'll be taking). And for those of us like Torquewrench and SprSnk that will be leaving from Austin, we could either coordinate a meeting place in San Antonio or Kerrville or they could just meet us at the Wednesday night distination. Both options are viable, it'll just depend on what we want - whether we want to start the event Wednesday night at a hotel in Van Horn or have a nice car cruise feel for the last hour or two of the drive.

Of course, this whole discussion begs the question of whether someone (Amy perhaps) will drive a golden railroad spike (or spark plug) into the ground when and where us westers meet up with you easters.

Matt

Matt,

I volunteered to coordinate this for the Cali group.

It looks like Van Horn for the evening of the 24th. I will include anybody who wants to meet there in our room block. Just PM me.

I also have PM'd Amy to see if the Cali schedule works for SAI.

I will keep everyone posted as things progress.

I can hear Bob Wills on the radio already!

Michael

Matt

Matt,

For those westers traveling with the Houston crowd, a hotel in Sonora would get us over the hump and within 4 hours of Terlingua.

Mike

Matt,

For those traveling from Houston, a hotel in Sonora would get us over the hump and within 4 hours of Terlingua.

Mike

Mike,

If it was just us folks coming west, Sonora would be a good place to stop for the night and then carry on in the morning. What worries me about stoping somewhere that's 4 hours away is that the farther away we are from the people coming east on Thursday morning, the harder it'll be to meet up somewhere without one group having to sit around while the other catches up. When trying to coordinate something like this I like to follow the KISS philosophy [Keep It Simple, Stupid]. If we meet up in Van Horn the night before than neither group will potentially have to wait for the other on Thursday morning. Likewise, if us westers spend the night in Alpine we can get a little more sleep and have time for breakfast before the easters came rolling through town on their way south.

I'm thinking that I'm going to wait to hear what the SAI folks are going to do before I decide whether I'd like to meet the easters in Van Horn or Alpine. If Amy's crew can follow the same schedule as the easters then I'll meet them in Van Horn so I can cruise with the SAI trucks a bit longer. If SAI can't follow the same schedule (i.e. they need to get out there a day or two earlier), I'll just head to Alpine and then hook up with the easters as the come through.

Does anyone know if the Bullrun folks (or the Speed Channel) are going to have video cameras filming any of this weekend like they did with the Montreal to The Keys rally in 2007? I'd love to have footage of 50+ Shelbys rolling through Big Bend national park and into Terlingua. :superhero:

Matt

Sprint200 is trying to put together a caravan coming south but they'll probably only be able to make it to Abiliene by Wednesday night. The drive from Van Horn should only take 3 or 4 hours, so if the caravan got rolling out of there around 8:30 or 9:00 we'd be in Terlingua early-afternoonish and the people coming south wouldn't be able to join up for the last leg. Do all ya'll [welcome to Texas] want to get to the resort as soon as possible on Thursday or would the group be willing to get a later start Thursday morning and stop in Alpine for lunch so the southers can catch up and join in for the cruise into Terlingua?

My thoughts are that except for Vorpal Bunny, pretty much everyone will have spent at least the previous day in the car (two for the easters) so a little more sleep Thursday morning might be a good thing. Plus, if I'm going to be part of a Shelby cruise I'd like that cruise to be as big as possible. I can picture it now, a big ol' line of Shelbys rolling into Terlingua with Wagner's The Ride of the Valkyries playing. :superhero:

Amy

I hope SAI gets my car SS'ed done by then and I'll drive down to Terlingua from there with the big boys!

Sprint200 is trying to put together a caravan coming south but they'll probably only be able to make it to Abiliene by Wednesday night. The drive from Van Horn should only take 3 or 4 hours, so if the caravan got rolling out of there around 8:30 or 9:00 we'd be in Terlingua early-afternoonish and the people coming south wouldn't be able to join up for the last leg. Do all ya'll [welcome to Texas] want to get to the resort as soon as possible on Thursday or would the group be willing to get a later start Thursday morning and stop in Alpine for lunch so the southers can catch up and join in for the cruise into Terlingua?

My thoughts are that except for Vorpal Bunny, pretty much everyone will have spent at least the previous day in the car (two for the easters) so a little more sleep Thursday morning might be a good thing. Plus, if I'm going to be part of a Shelby cruise I'd like that cruise to be as big as possible. I can picture it now, a big ol' line of Shelbys rolling into Terlingua with Wagner's The Ride of the Valkyries playing. :superhero:

Matt,

Once Mike has the CA part of the caravan stopovers nailed down, we can nail down our section. For me personally, Alpine looks like a better stop over for us west bounders. Possibly for Sprint200 also. If they could get down to San Angelo to Fort Stockton or Sonora TX on the first day (about 600 miles) or a bit farthur, Alpine would be a fairly short drive for them on Thurs morning as would the drive from Van Horn to Alpine. Also there are 2 coming from the east coast that I know of. From Alpine down, it is a bit less than 100 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

60 DAYS from tomorrow, we will be on the road! :happy feet: :shift:

That being said, I am about to committ to hotels rooms for the trip. Please PM me if you are joining the cruise and want to stay with the group. I will reply with the details.

We will be in Chandler AZ the night of the 23rd and Van Horn TX on the 24th.

Can't wait,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the road trip rooms blocked in Chandler AZ and Van Horn TX.

Those of you who have confirmed you participation will be receiving an email regarding Chandler today and Van Horn on Monday.

If there is anybody else who would like to join us, we have been able to get a fairly decent group rate, please PM me with your email address and I will get the info to you.

Regards,

Michael

Matt,

Once Mike has the CA part of the caravan stopovers nailed down, we can nail down our section. For me personally, Alpine looks like a better stop over for us west bounders. Possibly for Sprint200 also. If they could get down to San Angelo to Fort Stockton or Sonora TX on the first day (about 600 miles) or a bit farthur, Alpine would be a fairly short drive for them on Thurs morning as would the drive from Van Horn to Alpine. Also there are 2 coming from the east coast that I know of. From Alpine down, it is a bit less than 100 miles.

Sherri and other Westers,

Corsa axle-back exhaust (P14311) to arrive via Fed Ex today.

Please let me know if you would like to take the scenic route, suggested by Vorpal Bunny, from San Antonio onHwy 90 through Del Rio to Marathon. We could stay at the historic Gage Hotel Wednesday, September 24th then drive NW until we meet the Easters Thursday morning.

Mike

From VB to Jimmy,

Sounds like you have a great option to join the Quantum folks/group and go I-20 across and stay in Odessa. The other possibility is to go the more southern route and go across I-10 into San Antonio and from there you take Hwy 90 west all the way to Marathon, TX. I personally like this route because it is more scenic than I-20 and psses through Del Rio, TX for lunch stops. Marathon, TX has a great historic Hotel The Gage, as well as a nicely restored option, the Marathon motel. It is about 120 miles from Marathon to Lajitas which is best done probably by going on down 90 further west another 30 miles into Alpine, TX and then heading south on 118. You go South 60 miles on 118 and you will arrive at the edge of Terlingua/Study Butte and turn west on Hwy 170 for about 12 miles and arrive at the Lajitas airpot meeting spot - it is on the left side of the road and marked.

If I can help further please ask.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at the event!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

We are getting close!

Our plans are set. Just tony has mapped out the itinerary. Those of you on the list have received a copy. If you are interested in joining our road trip or have not received Tony's email, please PM me and I will get the info to you.

Greatly anticipating this epic cruise and TS event!

Michael

Hi,

We are getting close!

Our plans are set. Just tony has mapped out the itinerary. Those of you on the list have received a copy. If you are interested in joining our road trip or have not received Tony's email, please PM me and I will get the info to you.

Greatly anticipating this epic cruise and TS event!

Michael

Michael

Perhaps you could post Tony's itinerary in this thread. It may help others in making up their mind to join the road trip. It could also lead to some TS members who are not going to Terlingua but who would like to meet you guys at your stay overs. What's a few more TS members for dinner :)

Just an idea.

Steve

Michael

Perhaps you could post Tony's itinerary in this thread. It may help others in making up their mind to join the road trip. It could also lead to some TS members who are not going to Terlingua but who would like to meet you guys at your stay overs. What's a few more TS members for dinner :)

Just an idea.

Steve

Hi,

Here is the Google maps link for our route and itinerary.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...19.6875&z=6

Regards,

Michael

Archived