TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Garage Queen or Daily Driver

Rain or Shine?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drive your 40th Anniversary GT500 in the rain?

• routinely
    • never
    • occasionally
  2. 2. Is it your daily driver or one of several cars

• daily driver
    • one of two cars I own
    • one of three or more cars I own

I have an 08 that will be an SS by year end and I am considering adding the 40th package to my red 07. My concern is that I have always been hung up about driving in the rain, but will likely be more paranoid after the upgrade. I am curious what the current 40th owners are doing. If I don't drive any of the cars in the rain, I feel I will be a prisoner of my own self imposed rules. On the other hand I hate what rain and road grime does to the chassis and underside of the car, not to mention the top side. Maybe this poll will give me a sense of what you guys think. Feel free to comment as well on your personal philosophy on this. Thanks!!

I wont drive it in the rain ever...on purpose anyway. I love driving this car though (even more now that it has become a 40th car) and am starting to drive it more. Nice weather means there's a really good chance it's coming out of the garage!!

Not my daily driver but I do drive it. I have just over 10,000 miles now. My son and I drove all the way home to NJ after picking it up in Vegas. I try to avoid the rain but I have and still will drive in the rain if need be. It just means I will have to spend more time cleaning when I get home. I fell they need to be driven. It looks great in the garage but being out on the road is the real fun for me anyway.

Mine has been driven in the rain twice. Sometimes, you just can't avoid it, but I do not intentionally drive it when it is raining. There is to much work getting the detail done after rain. Obviously, it's not going to hurt the car unless abused and left outside unovered forever, but these cars are special, and I treat mine special, as I treat my custom 7mm hunting rifle special. I do take my hat off those that use them as daily drivers. You are the guys helping to sustain and build the brand with future generations.

Mine is a daily driver. If it is raining when I leave for work--I do not drive it. If it's clear and rains later--no worries, I clean it. I am 49 years old and by the time this car is worth anything, I'll be dead or close to it. So, the moral to my story is drive it while you can and keep it clean & well maintained.

Mine is a daily driver. If it is raining when I leave for work--I do not drive it. If it's clear and rains later--no worries, I clean it. I am 49 years old and by the time this car is worth anything, I'll be dead or close to it. So, the moral to my story is drive it while you can and keep it clean & well maintained.

I'm a few years older, but other than that, this applies to me as well...

Grandpa died at 95 in a car accident, I want to go the same way. Since I have got 41 years to catch up to Grandpa, I will drive the car on sunny days only, it will be in beautiful condition when my kids put me on the other side of the grass.

I have an 08 that will be an SS by year end and I am considering adding the 40th package to my red 07. My concern is that I have always been hung up about driving in the rain, but will likely be more paranoid after the upgrade. I am curious what the current 40th owners are doing. If I don't drive any of the cars in the rain, I feel I will be a prisoner of my own self imposed rules. On the other hand I hate what rain and road grime does to the chassis and underside of the car, not to mention the top side. Maybe this poll will give me a sense of what you guys think. Feel free to comment as well on your personal philosophy on this. Thanks!!

I have posted this once before so I'll condense a little:

I was trying to get back from SAI in April for Shelbyfest in Hermann, MO. We were caught in the pass when I-70 closed do to snow. Of course nobody told us it was shut down until the tow truck was picking us up off the slow lane of traffic (along with about 20 other cars and semi's). Traction control doesn't do much in the snow! It took two tow truck rides to get to Denver where the roads were drivable for us again.

The car has been cleaned and has seen another 200 miles of track time since. It has also seen rain on the way home from Mid-America. I don't trailer the car, I enjoy it. It is a pleasure to drive, but if I'm going very far, I take my wife's Shelby GT convertable; it rides MUCH better for longer trips.

I have several vehicles but will drive my 40th whenever possible. It's just plain fun!!

Dr. Jon

I have posted this once before so I'll condense a little:

I was trying to get back from SAI in April for Shelbyfest in Hermann, MO. We were caught in the pass when I-70 closed do to snow. Of course nobody told us it was shut down until the tow truck was picking us up off the slow lane of traffic (along with about 20 other cars and semi's). Traction control doesn't do much in the snow! It took two tow truck rides to get to Denver where the roads were drivable for us again.

The car has been cleaned and has seen another 200 miles of track time since. It has also seen rain on the way home from Mid-America. I don't trailer the car, I enjoy it. It is a pleasure to drive, but if I'm going very far, I take my wife's Shelby GT convertable; it rides MUCH better for longer trips.

I have several vehicles but will drive my 40th whenever possible. It's just plain fun!!

Dr. Jon

Dr Jon,

Excellent! I'm in your court...

Stuart

Dr Jon,

Excellent! I'm in your court...

Stuart

Checked the radar and satellite, checked the weather- went to the local car show and got dumped on with a rainstorm 10 minutes from home. So much for the 2 hour detail. I am ready to surrender :surrender: ....Just can't win. When I got to the show there was a nicely done Ford GT. The guy owns 2 and they both are driven freely in the rain. He said "They wash well", implying that they are only cars and he enjoys them. I really wish I could adopt this belief.... but so far I am too much of a fanatic to do so. :(

I'm 49 too, and I have the same thoughts. I drive it like I stole it!

• 3 months later...

So, I'm curious SuperSnake08, what you decided on the second car? Is it worth the 40th upgrade? If you are converting it, will you drive it less? Have you been driving the stock GT500 in the rain? Not much going on in the 40th pages so I read back a little and thought I would see what you learned from the pole.

Dr. Jon

So, I'm curious SuperSnake08, what you decided on the second car? Is it worth the 40th upgrade? If you are converting it, will you drive it less? Have you been driving the stock GT500 in the rain? Not much going on in the 40th pages so I read back a little and thought I would see what you learned from the pole.

Dr. Jon

My 40th is not a daily driver, and has never seen the rain.

I do drive her and have 3000 miles.

I bought her Nov. 7th 2006.

Todd

I won't drive my SS or 40th in the rain. I'm lucky enough to have a work truck to use in bad weather.

But hey, that's just me.

SAME HERE, I WILL PULL IT OUT TO PLAY WITH IT AND TRAILER IT TO TRACK EVENTS, BUT DRIVE IT IN THE RAIN, NOT IF I CAN HELP IT, I DID GET STUCK IN A 5 MIN DOWN POUR IN VEGAS, OCT OF 06 AFTER TALKING WITH GARY PATTERSON ABOUT DOING SOME MODS AND CHASING DOWN A FERARII :shift:

Mine has 10.3 miles on it and never been registered with Motor Vehicle. I intended it to be a regular driver, but then, I was able to be #1 of 15 at the 40th Anniversary Kick Off Party with Carroll Shelby. My car was also the only Grabber Orange at the event, so I make claim I have one of a kind. I know I will never realize a huge monitary value for the car (I'm 56) but my kids might. Either way I'm enjoying the car and it's history in my own way. Also have a '07 coupe, so still get to drive once in a while. Going to add a Vert driver this spring.

I have about 6000 miles on mine. It is a black coupe #41... (Detailing nightmare!) It has only seen the rain once, but I am not afraid to drive it in the rain. I live in AZ and it only rains here a couple of times a year, almost always hot and sunny, so rain is usally not an issue. But if it does get wet...so what, I'll just wash it. I am more worried about the wind and the sandblasting effect from the desert, it's pretty tough on a paint job, but I bought the car to enjoy, and drive it every chance I can. If it gets too bad I figure I'll just get the front end repainted if I have to.

Dr. Jon

[/quote

Actually I have another SS CSM. I still like the 40th a lot- in some ways at least as much. I have a Grabber SS#08SS103 and 07SS080. The bad news is I still cant take em in the rain...I wish I did not care but I do.

Thanks for the response.

At first I would worry about taking the car out much, but then I discovered the road course! I know rain isn't the best for the car, but I think the track is probably harder on the car than rain. Knowing all this, I still can't resist that feeling you get going from 130 mph in the straight to the hard left at HTP. Yes, it takes a little time to get all cleaned up again afterwards but I don't think it will make much difference in the long run in the cars overall condition. I guess that's the way I feel about the rain also; it'll clean up if I get caught in the rain. I just don't think it's worth missing out on all the fun these cars can bring.

I have taken my wife's SGT around the course and thought it would be better to use it rather than my 40th, but I honestly feel more comfortable in my 40th coupe than in her convertible. The SGT would run circles around my stock GT500, but the 40th package made such a difference that I don't want to go back to the SGT. (That and my wife would kill me if I hurt her baby!)

I wish you all the fun you can handle with your cars. Two SuperSnakes would be a dream! Heck, even one would be something. Enjoy them when you can; they were built for it!

Dr. Jon

• 4 years later...

I posed a similar question on the KR thread. My 08 KR has 708 miles on it. The original owner kept it in storage drove it sparingly.. i was told rain has never hit the paint. The car has only been washed twice in it's life. I too am 49 and feel I will not benefit financially by keeping the mileage super low. Do people really care about the mileage on a 68 GT500 KR when buying one? I doubt it. I will be selective where I do drive it. Bottom line, I plan to have some fun taking it on the track and car shows all over the east coast. I also am fortunate to have an 07SGT. I did buy this car to drive it. I currently have 5500 miles on the clock. I love driving this car. It does everything well. I must admit I am shopping for a good car trailer. For long distances, it makes sense to be careful and protect your car. Rock chips or hitting a deer would ruin my day. To each his own but I think ole Carroll would want us to drive me like we stole them. That is what makes owning a Shelby so much fun.

I have a Red 40th Coupe... with over 28K miles. Really only about 3500 since 40th upgrade though. Been in the rain, snow, and had to avoid a hail storm once by parking under an overpass.

Dinged the left front fender & bumper during 45th MCA Track Day at Barber Motorsports Park back in 2009 :peelout: !!!!!

Archived