TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Loose fitting headreast and consol covers

I have read and seen pictures of wrinkles on the SS headreasts. I believe I have a solution. I am a retired FoMoCo electrician and I worked at Michigan Truck plant when they assemblied seats from pieces (frames, foam and presown covers). The presown covers were stored on a dolly inside a three sided area with a radient heater overhead which kept the presown seat covers warm (a certain temperature). The seat frame was put on a station of a merry-go-round and it shifted to the next location where foam was installed on the seat frame, then shifted to another location where the warm seat covers were put on. There was most always wrinkles after all was installed. Solution: The completed seat was then taken off the merry-go-round fixture and put on a conveyor that ran through a radient oven that shrunk the covers to the foam and when they came out of the oven they were tight with no wrinkles. I go get 07SS0130 July 15th, she should be ready and I plan on taking my headreast off and the consol cover if necessary and running them through a radient heater keeping a close eye on them and hoping they will shrink.

I have read and seen pictures of wrinkles on the SS headreasts. I believe I have a solution. I am a retired FoMoCo electrician and I worked at Michigan Truck plant when they assemblied seats from pieces (frames, foam and presown covers). The presown covers were stored on a dolly inside a three sided area with a radient heater overhead which kept the presown seat covers warm (a certain temperature). The seat frame was put on a station of a merry-go-round and it shifted to the next location where foam was installed on the seat frame, then shifted to another location where the warm seat covers were put on. There was most always wrinkles after all was installed. Solution: The completed seat was then taken off the merry-go-round fixture and put on a conveyor that ran through a radient oven that shrunk the covers to the foam and when they came out of the oven they were tight with no wrinkles. I go get 07SS0130 July 15th, she should be ready and I plan on taking my headreast off and the consol cover if necessary and running them through a radient heater keeping a close eye on them and hoping they will shrink.

COOL! I would like to see how this works for you. Please keep us posted.

michael morris

What I don't get - here are my headrest covers that match my 40th console cover. They did not come with the package - I ordered them separately. Though look at the fit and the color. People don't believe me when I tell them they're just a cover. I would assume they came from the same source as the SS headrests. Why the difference?

th_002-4.jpgth_003-5.jpgth_004-5.jpgth_005-5.jpgth_006-5.jpgth_008-3.jpgth_009-4.jpg

What I don't get - here are my headrest covers that match my 40th console cover. They did not come with the package - I ordered them separately. Though look at the fit and the color. People don't believe me when I tell them they're just a cover. I would assume they came from the same source as the SS headrests. Why the difference?

th_002-4.jpgth_003-5.jpgth_004-5.jpgth_005-5.jpgth_006-5.jpgth_008-3.jpgth_009-4.jpg

I believe your headrests might be tight because of being in the sun more. The convertable's interior will be heated by the Sun (if the top is down) more than a coup and with time the convertable's interior will become tighter.

I believe your headrests might be tight because of being in the sun more. The convertable's interior will be heated by the Sun (if the top is down) more than a coup and with time the convertable's interior will become tighter.

You might think, but these were like this from day one. No shrinkage required.

I'm not saying your suggestion won't work. I'm just questioining why are the SS and 40th headrests so different?

Plastic shrinks - IME leather will shrink but only when going from wet to dry. I don't think I would try heating leather to make it shrink. Are the covers leather or plastic?

hmmm - that's a good question - I'll check. I thought they were leather - they appear to be. Are the SS headrests leather or vinyl?

Plastic shrinks - IME leather will shrink but only when going from wet to dry. I don't think I would try heating leather to make it shrink. Are the covers leather or plastic?

Well there you go - the material is a fabric-backed vinyl that stretches. I thought it was leather. Though I'll tell you it is virtually an exact match in texture and color to the leather on our seating surfaces. Probably an exact match to the vinyl covering everything else on our seats.

So - is the SS headrest cover then, in fact, leather? That may explain the difference. I'd recommend getting them redone with this other material.

My headrest covers looked good from day one. I don't drive mine enough for the sun to make any difference. The first couple of SS's were troublesome but since then I have not heard much complaints.

Hey jsd - no offense - we all simply want the SAI brand to be the best it can be.

Maybe you haven't seen these threads - SAI has been considering other vendors to replace the covers - though it's not a priority. They have other issues to deal with.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...amp;hl=headrest

Hey jsd - no offense - we all simply want the SAI brand to be the best it can be.

Maybe you haven't seen these threads - SAI has been considering other vendors to replace the covers - though it's not a priority. They have other issues to deal with.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...amp;hl=headrest

The way they should be done.

Stock headrest that are embroidered.

Picture103.jpg

Picture108.jpg

Archived