TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-500 Basic Maintenance?

Alright, let me lay it down for you guys.

I know nothing about fixing up a car or maintenance or anything related. I noticed most of you here take extremely good care of you car. Some to the point that it's just a weekend car. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to have two cars and quite honestly, I'll get hung for purchasing a GT-500. Anyways, point is. I am getting it no matter what! So, I will have to use it as a daily driver. I know I wont put an unreal ammount of miles since I work close to home. Only time I'll put some miles is on the weekends. Well, to sum up... I need to know what I should do and look out for and how often to keep my baby working fine and give it a nice long healthy life before I retire it when I die.

Thing's I noticed most people check/clean but, I have no idea how to go about it: Rust in the rear axel, tires going bad fast, supercharger getting wet, rain effecting god knows what under the hood, brake disk rust, intake cleaning, motor cleaning. I don't know, a million things. I'm worried that if I don't take care of these things my car wont last. Personally, I don't trust the mechanics around here and the people who clean cars are just some poor dudes trying to make some money. So, I'm terrified! Need some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Manny.

Too keep her running for a long time, just make sure you religiously follow the regular maintenance as outlined in the owner's manual. If you do that and you don't drive it like you stole it every second of the day, she should have a very long life. If you don't trust any mechanics in your area, get to know one of your neighbors that may have some car knowledge. Most basic maintenance is really simple once someone helps you get you familiar with the engine bay.

To keep her looking good, wash her often, especially if she gets bug bodies, bird poop or salt on her. Those things eat up paint fast. Do not use automated car washes, and always thoroughly dry your car to avoid water spots. I use only white 100% cotton hand towels for washing and batch towels for drying. Also, keep a good quality wax on her. I love Zaino, but it's really expensive. I use Meguiars NXT on my daily drivers. 2-3 applications/year will do it. If you keep a good coat of wax on her and wash her often, you can wash with just water. It's easier on the paint than harsh soaps, and your wax will last longer. Make sure you wash & dry all those hard-to-reach spots like the underside of the hood and trunk, the fender lips, and door jams. Dirt & water like to collect in these areas and will cause corrosion.

- Rusty rear axle: This is cosmetic only. The rust won't reduce the life any.

- Tires going bad fast: Yes, if you spin the tires a lot. They are performance tires, so they don't last as long as a regular street tire, but they'll give you 25K at least.

- supercharger/engine getting wet: I've had no problems with this. Yes, some water gets on the engine when driving in rain or washing her, but I just wipe it off. No problems. I've heard of some getting water into the electrics, but I don't think it's a common problem.

- brake disk rust: Also mainly a cosmetic issue. Every brake rotor will rust a little. After the first time you hit the brakes, the rust is gone.

- intake cleaning: Follow the element cleaning/replacement instructions in the owner's manual. If you have an aftermarket intake like a JLT, they have filter elements than have to be oiled and cleaned occasionally.

- motor cleaning: Probably one of the most ignored maintenance steps there is. Most think it's just an OCD clean-freak thing that car guys do, but it's not. Keeping your motor clean is a key maintenance activity. Dirt and oils will accelerate deterioration of rubber & plastic parts and get into electrical connections, and standing water will corrode engine and body parts. Also, when your engine is clean, it's easy to spot problems, such as leaky seals & gaskets. Take a damp rag to your engine bay every time you wash your car, and wipe down all engine components and the body panels/underside of the hood. I also put rubber protectant on my hoses to keep them from cracking. Avoid spraying water directly on your engine. That's just asking for trouble. Remember, a clean engine is a happy engine. If stay on top of it, it really doesn't take that long.

Hope this helps

Too keep her running for a long time, just make sure you religiously follow the regular maintenance as outlined in the owner's manual. If you do that and you don't drive it like you stole it every second of the day, she should have a very long life. If you don't trust any mechanics in your area, get to know one of your neighbors that may have some car knowledge. Most basic maintenance is really simple once someone helps you get you familiar with the engine bay.

To keep her looking good, wash her often, especially if she gets bug bodies, bird poop or salt on her. Those things eat up paint fast. Do not use automated car washes, and always thoroughly dry your car to avoid water spots. I use only white 100% cotton hand towels for washing and batch towels for drying. Also, keep a good quality wax on her. I love Zaino, but it's really expensive. I use Meguiars NXT on my daily drivers. 2-3 applications/year will do it. If you keep a good coat of wax on her and wash her often, you can wash with just water. It's easier on the paint than harsh soaps, and your wax will last longer. Make sure you wash & dry all those hard-to-reach spots like the underside of the hood and trunk, the fender lips, and door jams. Dirt & water like to collect in these areas and will cause corrosion.

- Tires going bad fast: Yes, if you spin the tires a lot. They are performance tires, so they don't last as long as a regular street tire, but they'll give you 25K at least.

- supercharger/engine getting wet: I've had no problems with this. Yes, some water gets on the engine when driving in rain or washing her, but I just wipe it off. No problems. I've heard of some getting water into the electrics, but I don't think it's a common problem.

- brake disk rust: Also mainly a cosmetic issue. Every brake rotor will rust a little. After the first time you hit the brakes, the rust is gone.

- intake cleaning: Follow the element cleaning/replacement instructions in the owner's manual. If you have an aftermarket intake like a JLT, they have filter elements than have to be oiled and cleaned occasionally.

- motor cleaning: Probably one of the most ignored maintenance steps there is. Most think it's just an OCD clean-freak thing that car guys do, but it's not. Keeping your motor clean is a key maintenance activity. Dirt and oils will accelerate deterioration of rubber & plastic parts and get into electrical connections, and standing water will corrode engine and body parts. Also, when your engine is clean, it's easy to spot problems, such as leaky seals & gaskets. Take a damp rag to your engine bay every time you wash your car, and wipe down all engine components and the body panels/underside of the hood. I also put rubber protectant on my hoses to keep them from cracking. Avoid spraying water directly on your engine. That's just asking for trouble. Remember, a clean engine is a happy engine. If stay on top of it, it really doesn't take that long.

Hope this helps

+1

Nice post and well put.

On top of that list which is almost complete, I'd add in there changing your oil every 3000 miles (or 5k if you don't run her hard) and rotating your tires every 5000 miles. On my other vehicles, I rotate the tires with every oil change, which is every 5000 miles.

Deep Breath and chant hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

rpretzel is absolutely correct. The only item I would add is that if you want to clean the engine area, DO NOT open the hood and start spraying with a garden hose. Use a damp cloth and if needed a little Simple Green.

Oil changes: use the correct oil and remind whoever does it " Only 6.5 qts" and ask for the 1/2 qt that remains.

On top of that list which is almost complete, I'd add in there changing your oil every 3000 miles (or 5k if you don't run her hard) and rotating your tires every 5000 miles. On my other vehicles, I rotate the tires with every oil change, which is every 5000 miles.

Do you rotate with the staggered sizes? This would require a dismount and mount, which I have never found a shop that can do this without any damage.

I was figuring no ratations for this car, but worried that that will mean noisy tires for sure...

I noticed when changed my spark plugs to a colder version NGK, that water, at one time, had been in the spark plug wells.

Don't know how it got there seeing the motor has never been more than damp in my possession, but when I took the covers off I saw

that at least 1" of water had left it's residue. Dealer? Factory? don't know but I wiped the residue out with damp cotton cloth. I haven't heard of anyone else with the problem but you might check.

As long as we're talking about hand car washing, I have never been comfortable with chamois or constantly using the same towels with their accumulated dirt. What I have been using for a long time now is Bounty paper towels. Bounty and only Bounty. Other paper towels are scratchy. The trick is to dampen a piece of Bounty first (which happens automatically if you place it on a wet car); then it becomes extremely soft, yet holds together. And of course discard/replace as dirty.

I keep a roll of Bounty in the trunk along with a spray bottle of Windex and another one of Megular Quick Detailer, the idea being to catch things as they happen, not hours/days later. Windex takes suicide bugs off effectively, but I always try the QD on painted areas first [and follow up with it if I do have to use the Windex]. Windex/Bounty also cleans brake dust off wheels effectively, though it takes time to catch everything.

Do not use RainX on your window glass. Yes, it slicks off rainwater, but it also hardens any rubber, i.e. surrounds and windshield wiper blades.

Don't park under trees or other bird-perches. If you must do so regularly, get a car cover and use it. Be very gentle when removing bird-poop, as it often contains scratchy stuff.

Michael

A good car wash soap.

A soft mitten.

A good "Wax as you dry" product.

Soft 100% cotton towels.

All after a good couple of coats of wax keeps the paint looking very sharp!

I wash the towels and mitten after every use. Turtle wax, Eagle and Maguires all make great products. The 03 Cobra (daily driver) that was sold to get the GT-500 looked new. No swirle marks, scratches or softening of the sharpness of reflections in the paint.

Hope this helps

Kitty is right as usual. Great post rpretzel. :happy feet:

(rpretzel holds the record for the looooooooooooooongest wait for a GT500 after ordering) :yup: :tequila:

Hope this helps

Kitty is right as usual. Great post rpretzel. :happy feet:

(rpretzel holds the record for the looooooooooooooongest wait for a GT500 after ordering) :yup: :tequila:

Double post! :hysterical:

Do you rotate them from side to side? Front and back are different sizes.

You mean he beat the 17 weeks I had to wait for mine?

From his signature:

2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue/Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006. Woo Hoo!!!

Home: May 4, 2007

Looks like it bud, hehe, damn, either way you both had to wait FAR to long to enjoy this beast! :happy feet:

Do you rotate them from side to side? Front and back are different sizes.

Yes, side-to-side only because of the size difference. Also, I believe they are directional, so you have to take the tires off the rims and switch them to rotate side-to-side.

All of this is well and good, but if you are using it as a daily driver, most will be time consuming and near impossible to keep up on... Being honest (unless you have hours of free time a week) I would agree with using the manual to maintain according to directions, and attempt to keep it clean. Other than that... drive it!

Yes, side-to-side only because of the size difference. Also, I believe they are directional, so you have to take the tires off the rims and switch them to rotate side-to-side.

I think the chance for damage to the rims is a good reason not to rotate them from side to side.

403 days. It was brutal.

Me thinks Ford owes you a Banner or Car Cover for your incredible patience. :happy feet:

Thats the least they owe you. :happy feet:

All that spare time caused you to buy Mods. :happy feet:

Just think what therapy may be needed after the Looooooooooooooong wait! :hysterical:

Archived