TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hasn't this gone on long enough ? !!!

zdle

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie...

I've had problems with hoods and scoops from day 1... first a defective hod, then the stripe issue, then the stripe issue again.

I have to admit, I was making a fuss a while back, but then I read that SAI was aware of the problem and working on a fix. Fair enough.

The problem is that every time I bring the car back it's another couple of weeks out of commission. We brought it back to the dealer 2 1/2 weeks ago. They got new stripes and called us to pick it up. Holy Cow! It was worse than when it went in. The paint on the scoop was chipped and the hood itself was actually stressed around the rivets. This was, in my opinion, purely a workmanship issue. So anyway, we're still waiting for another scoop and rivets. But, in fairness, SAI has been VERY responsive to the dealership in every aspect.

The last couple of times I brought the car back in I insisted upon, and got, a loaner car. It makes the situation more bearable, since the SGT is a daily driver, but it is frustrating. For a daily driver that is supposed to be doing 60 miles a day 5 days/week just to work and back, the car has just under 2000 miles on it (purchased 4 1/2 months ago) because it's been in the shop so much.

The problem certainly is frustrating, but it's not because of SAI ignoring the dealer. A good piece of it has to do with delays caused by the dealership. It would be nice to have a final fix, but I have learned and finally accepted that it isn't an easy one.

So to zdle I'd suggest getting on your dealer's ass. All the work must go thru them. They need to contact SAI for authorization to do the work. If they are stonewalling you it isn't fair to be blasting SAI.

I work very hard all week I have no time to negotiate warranty matters that FoMoCo worked out with SAI , so that neither of them would have to take responsibiliy , or be liable for............Thats what an ethicaly written warranty is suppose to take care of, we as the consumer are buying the car and the Warranty on the good faith from the dealer that they have provided a Etical Warranty of their product......ZDS

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't a matter of "free speech". There are no Constitutional protections here. This forum is SAI's virtual private property and just like any backyard party, when one of the guests spoils the atmosphere, he should be shown to the door. SAI is responsible for maintaining decorum via moderators, and I think moderators have let out too much line. Time to reel it in.

My opinion of SAI is higher because it doesn't ban criticism of its' product.

To me that evidences a reputable company, which is willing to accept truthful criticism and work to resolve legitimate complaints.

:grouphug:

I work very hard all week I have no time to negotiate warranty matters that FoMoCo worked out with SAI , so that neither of them would have to take responsibiliy , or be liable for............Thats what an ethicaly written warranty is suppose to take care of, we as the consumer are buying the car and the Warranty on the good faith from the dealer that they have provided a Etical Warranty of their product......ZDS

I'd like to recommend Apple's Safari web browser for Windows and it's built in spell checker with an option check as you type.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

zdle,

Your ranting day in and day out on this site is not going to fix your hood scoop.

Amy told you that a repair is in the process of being tested, and when that is complete, then results will be shared.

I am warning you to stop your negitive day in and day out posts about this issue. It is not going to speed up the repair.

If it wasn't a half-assed design in the first place I would not be waiting almost 2 years for a Solution.....

Oh, of course. How I could I overlook that the subcontractor decided to screw SAI and ultimately their customers by presenting them with a flawed hood scoop design to put on the SGT's. It must have been a conspiracy between the composite material supplier and the subcontractor who produced the final product.

Perhaps you have forgotten or perhaps you may not be aware of this in the first place, but the SGT was designed and rushed into production in less than a year; eight months, I believe. That's because FoMoCo and SAI were responding to FoMoCo's dealer network who were all clammering for a Shelby Mustang that was similar to the Hertz cars for them to put in their showrooms and sell. Taking a car from design to production within 8 to 12 months, even if you are using 99% of exsisting parts from your parts inventory is a moumental achievement, and the ONE PART that was not in Ford's exsisting parts inventory, is the part that's causing a tremendious amount of hassle for SAI and their customers now.

Obviously, the scoop subcontractor over commited and under delivered to SAI, but I suspect that's because they really believed in all good consciousness that the hood scoop material being used would remain uniform in spite of the heat it's being subjected to. Did the subcontractor have enough time to really do proper trial and error tempature and weather testing on the scoop before making that assumption? Considering the short time line they had to produce a scoop, they didn't, and that's what's going on now with the revised scoop. And the revised scoop will be released when SAI damn well says it's ready and not a minute longer even if it means they have to take some crap for making some impatient people wait for it.

Chip Beck has a solution , and it only took him a couple months.....And I have 45,000$ woth of 2cents to go , And I will us it all if I have to.

I understand that Mr. Beck works in the Aerospace industry and has Aerospace grade reasources, materials, and processing equipment at his disposal. Mr. Beck only had to fix one scoop; his. SAI is using established automotive subcomponent manufacturer(s) who is/are working on a replacement scoop for a few thousand cars that will have to be retrofitted from the hands of a Ford Technician at a Ford dealer in anytown U.S.A.; big difference. And because SAI is considered a manufacturer, they are subject to very specific Federal safety requirements for every part they make for the Mustang, (yes even a faux hood scoop) wheras Mr. Beck does not.

I believe that you are saying that you have $45,000 dollars of two cents to go, and that you intend to use them. No problem, go ahead. Just follow established protocols and spend your $45,000 dollars worth of two cents in that manner all you want. Spewing your unhappyness here is falling on deaf ears and will not get your scoop replaced any faster than a person who complains through the proper channels, trust me on that.

I approached the dealer politley once , and got the typical car dealer brush -off you know a firm "not our responsibility , and we are very busy good by" , so I wasn't upset , I just left ........nothing I do is gonna change that , and I don't need the aggrevation , as long as I can vent on this web site , and make the rest of you uncomfortable about the defective part you have to look at when you sit down behind the wheel of your SGT , may be this is how you will finally start asking the same questions .....................ZDS

You just validated what I said before. You are grandstanding your issues in an effort for others to wallow in your personal unhappiness about this matter. We are not becoming uncomfortible, and your tatics are not accomplishing anything other than getting yourself isolated from the other members here, and ultimately your scoop will not get corrected any faster by following this path. If you are really, truely, bugged everytime you sit in the car and look out the windsheild at your defective scoop, you would have contacted SAI privately for a resolution and gotten the explanation that you are upset about not getting, but you never contacted SAI, did you? Hell, I don't even think that you went up the chain of command at Santa Maria Ford or whatever they call themselves nowadays.

And your assumption that other members here will start to question the status of the replacement scoop in the same manner you are is as you can see, quite misguided.

Best of luck to you.

This topic needs to be gone from the Tech/Mods forum. It may be a valid topic, maybe not, I can't say. However, it surely has nothing to do with technical issues, or, mods accomplished by owners/members.

Personally, I find it highly offensive. But, I'm not SAI and I have no standing to complain. It's just (IMHO) "stuff" I don't need to read in my daily travels through Team Shelby on the web.

Considering the volume of similar opinions, perhaps it's time to consider a "bitch" forum? We need a place to park "rants" when and where where folks can post their opinion on stuff and stay out of our larger and otherwise satisfied face.

Dunno...Maybe I'm the stupid one here, but I am very tired of reading these rants, especially after I drive 240 miles in one day to get an SGT mod installed just to come home and read this. Hoping to report positive results to y'all, my expense in time and money is defeated. I'll mod my SGT the way I want, but why am I taking the time to report my results for such an ungrateful community?

This "stuff" is chilling and it makes me wonder why I bothered to begin with...

I dunno...Maybe it's time for me to evaluate what I'm doing here.

LuLu:

I think there is just cause from both the customer and SAI to each express their gripes and rebuffs. There is one glaring fact about SAI that there certainly is alot of proof of with the posted responses SAI makes back to complaining customers....and that is their responses lack any delicate and skillful approach in dealing with any reported troublesome situations....especially anything that Amy responds to. There seems to be a total lack of finnese on her part that to me is unheard of by someone in a corporate position such as hers.

In geneal there is also a tendency on SAI to leave the customer with the impression that SAI will protect their own interests first and the customer's second. In reality I don't have a problem with this impression because when one comes down to it all businesses are going to put themselves first or else they wouldn't survive long if they "knee-jerk" reacted to everything a customer demands or expects. So in that aspect I think SAI is warranted to protect themselves so they don't "react" their way out of business.

However again I think the leaving of the wrong impression that seems to frequently occur is a symptom of the lack of finesse in the responses of Amy and some other agents of SAI. People who are going to be the active public voices while at the same time holding corporate positions within the company should be a little less "blue" under the collar if you understand what I mean.

Now about the customers....I have to say that there are some folks here that are somewhat impatient or sometimes fail to realize some of the realities of what is happening to address certain reported problems. When I first joined several months back I was one of those folks. However with time and continued reading and participation in the forum posts I have pretty much come to be satisfied with what SAI has created by way of the SGT. It is a fine vehicle and perhaps one of the best Mustangs I have ever owned. I have had 7 of them in my time, including a 2003 SVT Cobra Terminator and I thought that Mustang could never be surpassed for me, but the SGT does surpsss it in many ways. And I have learned that HORSEPOWER is not the sum total of the criteria for judging a car.

I have also come to be satisified with SAI customer service. I have several issues going on with my vehicle but at this point things are moving forward to get these issues resolved. As I have continued my reading of forum posts I have come to the conclusion that SAI workers are for the most part over-worked and probably under-paid. This would at least explain some of kinds of explanations SAI provides and could also explain some of Amy's issues with "finesse" as well. Let's face it, SAI would probably be classified as a "small" business and a very specialized niche to boot. So as such SAI will have to be extremely aggressive and vigilante in managing their costs. So they would need a very strong and aggressive CEO as well. And that can certainly explain why and how SAI responds to customer issues.

In short I think what I describe above is not something that can necessarily be made to get any better just because of the nature of SAI being a small business and a very specialized niche which demands the kind of aggressive cost control I mentioned.

(Son of GT @ Jul 4 2008, 12:18 AM)

...Obviously, the scoop subcontractor over commited and under delivered to SAI...

Now there is a very big part of the problem right there. In today's world of doing business there are two ways to make delivery on one's work:

1. "Over-commit and under-deliver" (the choice to be avoided)

2. "Under-commit and "over-deliver". (the choice that seems to be today's driving corporate motto and expectation everywhere you go)

I can't count how many time I have heard #2 above. However I have a novel idea that Corporate America ought to start doing religiously instead of trying to always make themselves appear grandiose...why dont they just:

"Make a commitment on what is to be delivered and just deliver on it".

It's just that simple...just do what there is a need for (no more and no less) rather than trying to always appear more than they are by under-reporting what it is they intend to do...I for one would rather have Corporate America working only on what is really needed and having the time to do that correctly and done with best-practice quality rather than having delivery of something that falls short because too much time and emphasis was spent doing some "self-image" gloratory.

I think if businesses in this country went back to this good old-fashion work-ethic we would be finding life to be a helluva alot easier and happier for management, workers and customers instead of this constant unceasing, unnecessary and tiring quest to boost ones ego by over-delivering.....which ultimately proves absolutely nothing and delivers absolutely nothing but more problems....

(And what I am saying here is NOT directed toward SAI....so folks don't get all riled up. It has to do with the general work ethic that each and every working person and business plagues themself with today.)

"I think there is just cause from both the customer and SAI to each express their gripes and rebuffs."

ShelbyKindaGuy

I agree.

IMO, the dialog between SAI and customers makes this forum unique.

I respect that SAI doesn't try to hide the problems, by censorship or a separate gripe section.

I, also, respect zdle for voicing his complaints despite condemnation from those who won't acknowledge when the " emperor has no clothes ".

I, also, think Amy's response to zdle was invited and in kind.

Zdle made some very strong statements and Amy posted a hot-blooded response. Then they both toned down a bit and this discussion resumed. I respect both of them for that resolution.

In other words, on July 4th, I'm glad I live in a country where we can say what we think, with very few exceptions.

I always feel sorry for those who are obsessed with the negative because clearly it's got to affect your enjovment of a great car. The scoop was on the car when I bought it and is probably one of my least favorite parts of it. But I just don't really look at it all that much and definitely do not focus my attention on it...

From the stories I hear about dealer service on stripes and scoops, I'm guessing that no dealer will ever be able to do an absolutely perfect install that will please you and make you happy when you look at it with a magnifying glass and start measuring stripes...

I totally agree with walc's response to you...if you aren't interested then don't read it and just move on. We don't need your diatribe or permission to discuss this however long we wish.

I dissagree, the SGT mods and Tech forum is not the place for this. This has nothing to do with either mods or tech. there is an off topic forum provided for us by Team Shelby. Which is where topics like this belong. Im not saing that you or anyone else does not have the right to vent or rant or rave, our first amendment rights reserve this. however, i just feel this is not the time or the place for a topic like this one.

+1 BJ..........

Once again ZDS avoided my request for a documented trail of what he did to get the problems resolved & how they were handled each & every time.

ZDS, I posted the SAI warranty procedure for you & apparently you choose to ignore or not recognize that a written procedure has been established. If your car doesn’t get fixed before the warranty runs out, that’s your fault for not following Ford Motor Company’s & SAI’s written procedure and that’s no one else’s fault but yours.

If you start a document trail with Ford & SAI it will be covered should it take longer then 3 years (which I doubt it will). What will happen is if you don’t do this, it can & will be proved in court that you (ZDS) did not make an honest attempt to follow written & agreed upon warranty claims & procedures to get this corrected and/or documented by anyone of Ford’s 4,000+ dealerships & repair facilities shall you decided to be stupid enough to head down that road claiming no dealer would fix it & SAI is to blame.

I’m tired of seeing & reading all your arrogant, self righteousness, demanding rants of bull crap spewing from your keyboard & I would like to request that the moderators either freeze his account or ban him for violations of the T.O.S. “terms of service” that says “You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise volatile of any law.” And "Please post responsibly and remember that you are responsible for your own words and postings. Be careful about making comments that could be libelous or slanderous”.

Below are some pics of my original scoop. I ordered this car and received it last Oct. When sitting in the car you do see some slight waves down the sides that the pics don't show. Also there is a very slight gradual dip in the top that you have to be at the right angle to notice. It is not lifting off the hood at this point, and there is only one rivet that is secured to tight and slightly recessed into the scoop. My stripes are fine also. I am watching everything closely though.

I have seen some bad ones at my dealer, as they probably sold 8 to 10 SGT's. Mine turned out to be the best of all the SGT's they sold. Although there is a big quality issue with the scoops themselves, i think improper installation could possibly be the bigger issue, based on how well my original scoop looks at this point.

I would be curious to know how many members scoops are on par with mine.

100_1181.jpg

100_1182.jpg

100_1184.jpg

100_1186.jpg

100_1181.jpg

I dissagree, the SGT mods and Tech forum is not the place for this. This has nothing to do with either mods or tech. there is an off topic forum provided for us by Team Shelby. Which is where topics like this belong. Im not saing that you or anyone else does not have the right to vent or rant or rave, our first amendment rights reserve this. however, i just feel this is not the time or the place for a topic like this one.

+1 BJ..........

That's not what you stated...you stated you didn't want to read this (and I quote) BS anymore. I'm not trying to belabor the point but refering to it as BS is a far cry from saying "its off topic" or "its in the wrong forum".........next time just request a move of the topic and this way none of this sidebar banter has to occur......

I have moved the topic to the Shelby discussion forum.

There is nothing wrong with discussing this issue, but this is what the problem is, and it will not be allowed, and that is why I have warned zds.

Reason for warning:

Disrespectfull comments.

Comments made to "stir the pot".

zds has said that he plans to keep stirring the pot.

ZDS, ......I’m tired of seeing & reading all your arrogant, self righteousness, demanding rants of bull crap spewing from your keyboard & I would like to request that the moderators either freeze his account or ban him for violations of the T.O.S. “terms of service” that says “You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise volatile of any law.” And "Please post responsibly and remember that you are responsible for your own words and postings. Be careful about making comments that could be libelous or slanderous”.

Oh come on...your response is every bit over the top and extremely excessive and pretty much very near bordeline fascism. As an SGT owner he is entitled to state his issue, argue his point and press the issue until he feels he has gotten a satisfactory answer or until he determines there is no further use or reason to pursue it any further. And its your right to ignore what he posts and move on to other topics that you agree with.

There is absolutely no person in this forum that has to be subjected to passing some "majority member" test before they could be allowed to go on. So how about you people settle your rear-ends down and quit trying to stiffle (or down right Socialistic censorship of) the issues you don't agree with? Last time I checked this is still the United States of America.

And to the MODERATORS....if you even listen to "ColdwaterHotrod's" remarks and freeze or ban ZDS for just stating his issues then that would certainly be clear evidence of my point of certain members be allowed to practice fascism against those folks holding a "unpopular" view of teh issues being discussed. As someone else said...if a person doesn't like what they are reading then those folks can just move on to topics that don't go against their particular views of the issues.

Once again ZDS avoided my request for a documented trail of what he did to get the problems resolved & how they were handled each & every time.

SAI admits, after two years of production, that it doesn't have a fix for the hood scoop or the stripes defects. What is it that his responding to your demand is supposed to accomplish?

I’m tired of seeing & reading all your arrogant, self righteousness, demanding rants of bull crap spewing from your keyboard & I would like to request that the moderators either freeze his account or ban him....

The same could be said of your posts. However, I don't dispute that you are entitled to your opinions and he is entitled to his. That is called a " free and open discussion ".

Wow, it took me awhile to get through this thread. Granted, this car is not one of the most sophisticated vehicles out there but it does have power windows, driver’s seat and AC! I must be one of the lucky ones since my car (#4450) while not perfect does not have shifter noise, the Y has not fallen off, it has plenty of room between the driver’s rear fender and wheel, the stripes are just fine, the hood scope looks great (I keep worrying after reading all about all the problems) and I have an extended warranty. I knew the car would not come with a spare tire and jack when I bought it, which I found a little strange. I found about the Ford Racing oil filter after the fact but have not lost too much sleep over that.

I love the old retro car and do not worry about some it’s Mustang inherited shortcomings. The only gripe I have is that they should have put a SGT symbol on the steering wheel and trunk lock. I solved the latter problem with the new Shelby GT emblem. I am OK with the horsepower too and the gas mileage is a welcomed surprise. If I was closer to a Shelby shop it would be supercharged though just for the thrill of it.

Archived