TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealers really need to educate themselves

Just was toying around with my local dealer today on trading this car in for a GT500. I sent pics to him and he calls and says, "Where did you get the stripes done, in Long Island". I said where did you get LI from. He then asks, " So when yoiu bought the GT where did you have it sent to to get the work done. I explained to the guy 2 times about this car and he says, " Well does it have 500hp, I said no, he said Oh well everyone is looking for 500hp so my car was basically worthless to him. I said to him, "If everyone wants 500 HP why is your GT500 sitting on your lot for 4 months. I told him to go online and do some research on the SHelby GT's. He said ,"Yeah, it's like a Roush. This is the so called Ford dealers in my area. Maybe they should know what there company sells. But on the other hand it goes to show that they have never see one or had one. Made me feel a little better about mine today.

Just was toying around with my local dealer today on trading this car in for a GT500. I sent pics to him and he calls and says, "Where did you get the stripes done, in Long Island". I said where did you get LI from. He then asks, " So when yoiu bought the GT where did you have it sent to to get the work done. I explained to the guy 2 times about this car and he says, " Well does it have 500hp, I said no, he said Oh well everyone is looking for 500hp so my car was basically worthless to him. I said to him, "If everyone wants 500 HP why is your GT500 sitting on your lot for 4 months. I told him to go online and do some research on the SHelby GT's. He said ,"Yeah, it's like a Roush. This is the so called Ford dealers in my area. Maybe they should know what there company sells. But on the other hand it goes to show that they have never see one or had one. Made me feel a little better about mine today.

Its amazing to me how clueless so many of these dealers are.

Michael Morris - I'd be interested in know why this is the case. If Ford not providing proper training? Or, are the dealers ignoring the training? What does Ford do to make sure dealers are properly trained on their products, esp. the Shelby GT and GT500?

My dealer had to get several salesman to take a written test to become SVT/Shelby certified. Before my sales guy left the dealership he gave me the test he took to be Eligible to sell me my car for my records :happy feet: . IMHO & maybe MM or Shelby Dude can say, but I think it all falls back on the owner of the dealership to make sure the sales force is train or not.

Its amazing to me how clueless so many of these dealers are.

Michael Morris - I'd be interested in know why this is the case. If Ford not providing proper training? Or, are the dealers ignoring the training? What does Ford do to make sure dealers are properly trained on their products, esp. the Shelby GT and GT500?

NOTHING! On the SGT Ford didnt advertise it or have ANY training. We saw that Ford was offering a Shelby package. The first new release said one per store and if you got more than 1 the second had to be and auto. Thats ALL Ford put out about the car. We went looking on how to order one. Had to do some homework to order the first car. Ford then came out with some ordering help. When Ford realized that werent getting the orders for 6K cars they let the dealers order all the manual they wanted. We put in orders for 6 cars. We didnt think we would get them, but didnt hurt to ask. Ford built the first few and I realized I better get off my but and sell these things ( almost 9K in CASH in each car). I went on to the shelbyautos forum and offered them for sale. Thats when I got educated on these cars. Alot of folks on there knew about these cars and I listened and learned.

Ford never tried to push these cars and never tried to train the sales people about them. Only 1 SGT commerical on the TV.

Now the GT500 is different. You see commericals about it. Ford has training test we have to take to get certified to sell them and they are in the brochure. GT500 really has its own website if you go to SVT.

The SGT would have sold much better with alittle help from Ford in training and advertisment.

Sorry got alittle long winded there, but the SGT is a great car that didnt get a fair shot.

michael morris

My dealer had to get several salesman to take a written test to become SVT/Shelby certified. Before my sales guy left the dealership he gave me the test he took to be Eligible to sell me my car for my records :happy feet: . IMHO & maybe MM or Shelby Dude can say, but I think it all falls back on the owner of the dealership to make sure the sales force is train or not.

I agree, but sometimes like me you have someone who just gets excited about a certain car or program and they learn everything they can about them. Most dealers didnt get many SGTs so why spend much time on training. Most folks that bought SGTs knew as much if not more than the guy they bought it from.(not here, because I know EVERYTHING :hysterical: )

michael morris

This is the same with anything. There has to be an interest for someone to care enough to be educated, or they could care less. I can recall when i was shopping mine, more sales guys knew nothing about the car, but knew everything about the ADM... :hysterical::hysterical3:

I dont think this is uncommon by a long shot. I worked in sales at a local Ford dealer for a short time. There were 14 sales people, and I knew more about every Ford vehicle than ANY of them - hands down. The dealership (I believe a Ford requirement) stated that all sales people has to go through training on every single car (in this case, it was a LOT of vehicles - Ford, Lincoln and Mercury) and test to make sure they knew about the car. What would happen is the sales guys would get together and when one guy needed to take a test, 4 other guys would sit over his shoulder and together they would weed out the answers (looking online, reading documentation, etc). In the end, none of them learned a thing about the cars they were selling.

I stop back at the dealership from time to time (was there last weekend getting some work done on my wife's car) and 90% of the same sales guys were there (I have been gone from there for almost a year now). HOW they are ever able to sell a car is beyond me - but somehow they do.

Page

In a lot of ways the SGT is like the Roush and Saleen. A base gt that has been modified by the aftermarket. I had a Saleen and it was a great car. The Roush is a great car too, but they are GTs that have been modified. The blue book does not recognize them as anything but that. The GT500 is a Ford factory built special mustang with a whole different drive train. It is listed in the kelly as just that and has its own value. When trading in, you will take it in the shorts with a SGT. I have an 07 Sgt my self. I bought it over a GT500 because I like the looks and the race prep of the car. Also it is a Shelby with a CSM number. I say if you want a GT500 just keep your SGT and buy another GT500, then you will have two. It is not the dealer or the Salesman, it is the car. It is like its own Hybird performance car. I am glad no one knows about it and like to keep it that way. PS. the dealer here as 2 GT500 that have been sitting for about a year. SUDDEN

You should have beamed Capt. Curk up his A$$............................................ :hysterical:

Get it..................Beam me up SCOTTY............................... :hysterical: Just kidding with ya.

Most Sales Men don't even know what they have inside the Show Room (except MM & SD of course). All they see is $$$$$, How much they can sell there Cars for and how little they can give you for yours on Trade.

David.

I know that if it weren't for these forums, I probably would have had tons of problems ordering mine. I did have to educate my dealer, but he was very easy to work with. It was a good experience for me. I do wish that there was more publicity for these cars though.

Archived