TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hoodpins Question

Someone asked this question before but I don't believe there was ever a straight detailed answer given. All I want is a complete answer that doesn't raise additonal questions.

1. Given a complete stock 2007 Shelby GT can the Shelby Aluminum Hood Pins (part #5S3Z-631-6892-K) directly replace the stainless steel ones that were orgininal equipment on the 2007 SGT AND directly fit in the holes from the originals?

AND

2. Does the entire original hood pin assembly have to be removed including every part of original pin assembly that is under the hood or can just the NEW PIN plate with the word SHELBY on it just be screwed in ontop the hood and use the original pin assembly pieces that are underneath the hood?

Thanks!

Someone asked this question before but I don't believe there was ever a straight detailed answer given. All I want is a complete answer that doesn't raise additonal questions.

1. Given a complete stock 2007 Shelby GT can the Shelby Aluminum Hood Pins (part #5S3Z-631-6892-K) directly replace the stainless steel ones that were orgininal equipment on the 2007 SGT AND directly fit in the holes from the originals?

AND

2. Does the entire original hood pin assembly have to be removed including every part of original pin assembly that is under the hood or can just the NEW PIN plate with the word SHELBY on it just be screwed in ontop the hood and use the original pin assembly pieces that are underneath the hood?

Thanks!

1. I believe they can. I have only seen one incident where the holes were just a tad off. Most will fit in the original location.

2. You do not have to change out everything. I would recommend that you leave the bracket in place and change out the pin assembly and the lanyards. Better quality than the originals. And easy to change out. You will see this when you look at the package when it arrives.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Great question.

Great answer.

Mine have been sitting on the shelf for the past month, and I have my fingers crossed that I can just replace the plates and adjust the pin up.

1. I believe they can. I have only seen one incident where the holes were just a tad off. Most will fit in the original location.

2. You do not have to change out everything. I would recommend that you leave the bracket in place and change out the pin assembly and the lanyards. Better quality than the originals. And easy to change out. You will see this when you look at the package when it arrives.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Thanks to all..That did settle The question, finally. Thanks again!!

I just completed this mod to my Shelby two weeks ago. I was able to reuse the original bracket under the hood and just swap out the pins and the covers. You will have to drill out the pop rivet used by Shelby to attach the original pin lanyards. If you look closely at your kit, the screws they send with the new "Shelby" pins are just a tad smaller than your original equipment so they will not work. Just use the screws originally supplied. One other interesting encounter I had while doing this project was I had to just slightly tweak the brackets so the pins would line up centered in the holes drilled in the hood. Other than that, it took me about 35 minutes from start to finish. I think it is a great improvement over the original equipment. IMHO it makes the car faster :D

Yes and yes.

The only issue I ran into is the plates attach to the frame around the top of the radiator and therefore are parallell to the ground. They do NOT contour to the hood line so the pins will NOT slide perfectly into the grooves in the billet plates. I still need to "bend" the plates a degree or two to match the line of the curving hood to get it perfect. Some of the guys in here have done it and they look perfect.

Here's mine. You can see the imperfection...

newShelbypin.jpg

Dan

Yes and yes.

The only issue I ran into is the plates attach to the frame around the top of the radiator and therefore are parallell to the ground. They do NOT contour to the hood line so the pins will NOT slide perfectly into the grooves in the billet plates. I still need to "bend" the plates a degree or two to match the line of the curving hood to get it perfect. Some of the guys in here have done it and they look perfect.

Dan

I like the originals they are just like the ones I see on the old 60s cars in the Volo museum but I hate the marks they develop over time through the movement of the pins in and out. These seem much cleaner but I'm not too keen on the way they stick up from the hood. BUT I like the "Shelby" lettering! I think now I need to buy another car as I have said to satisfy all the different ways to approach some of this stuff. Of course I'm afraid I could end up getting "Mod OCD" and never stop!

I agree the originals look the most like the 60's and 70's cars. I even remember leaving the dealership telling the sales guy I would not change one thing on the car. "I will leave it just the way it is". Well I got 2373 home and saw what could happen if I got a errant stone in the lower cowel opening and said, well maybe just the lower grill insert. Well now I have done the hood pins and I still have a itch to do more. I think I caught the bug...

I agree the originals look the most like the 60's and 70's cars. I even remember leaving the dealership telling the sales guy I would not change one thing on the car. "I will leave it just the way it is". Well I got 2373 home and saw what could happen if I got a errant stone in the lower cowel opening and said, well maybe just the lower grill insert. Well now I have done the hood pins and I still have a itch to do more. I think I caught the bug...

Resistance is futile!

Archived