TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Racing tires

1218shelby

Hello all, its been a while since i posted. N E ways, went to the track here in South. Calif. Irwindale. 1/8 mile went with a best run so far. 9.029. Can i be faster yes. Thats why im here, whats a good brand of tires to race in the track and drive on the street? my mods: Tune X-Cal, underdrive pulleys, 3.90 gears. Besides tires, what another mod i can do? Thanks

Hello all, its been a while since i posted. N E ways, went to the track here in South. Calif. Irwindale. 1/8 mile went with a best run so far. 9.029. Can i be faster yes. Thats why im here, whats a good brand of tires to race in the track and drive on the street? my mods: Tune X-Cal, underdrive pulleys, 3.90 gears. Besides tires, what another mod i can do? Thanks

If you are driving a 4.6L based engine, building power in lower RPMs can be a challenge. It's the nature of a "square" (3.55 bore X 3.54 stroke) design, and 1/8 mile racing doesn't help your case.

I have had some very good experience with the BFG drag radial in 275/35-18, and the Nittos are decent shoes as well. But...(And I can't say this too strongly) these are drag radials and should NOT be driven on the street. They are unsafe (no traction) if and when you encounter standing water on the highway. They will come off the pavement and the car will hydroplane out of control. Tread depth is only 5/32, less than half of a new street tire, and there is no place for the water to go.

Moreover, stick with radial tires and avoid the bias ply "cheater slicks" like the Micky Thompson ET Streets, unless you change out the front tires. Bias ply in the rear and radials in front do not mix well on the track and you will have control issues at the top end.

Have you considered nitrous? A 50-75 pound shot will improve your ETs without presenting much of a threat to the engine.

Archived