TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacing Snakes, Letters, and "gas" cap

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Team Shelby and this forum. If I should step on my d... sorry in advance. I am in the process of replacing all my Cobra snake emblems on the exterior of the car, as well as the trunk letters(re-spacing to classic), and the faux racing fuel cap. I'm doing this because I have a red GT500(no LeMans stripes), and wanted to install the 'red' snakes, etc. from the Red pkg or whatever it's called. Already did the easy one, the grill, that took about 10 minutes, I was dawdling in there. ;) The fender mounted snakes have foam tape and what may either be alignment pins there's fasteners back there(I hope not), and I've heard the faux gas cap is a pain in the a.. Any insights, methods and guidance on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-=-Dennis

OK..................The Fender Snakes & Gas Cap DO have 2 Pins each that snap into the Holes. To remove the Factory Emblems, I always use Bondo Spreaders. Just slide the thin edge under the Emblem from all sides to seperate the Emblem from the Fender but you still have to pop it off so be carefull not to break the Emblems. Do the same with the Gas Cap. When removing the items, some, if not most, of the double sided Tape will remain on the Car. It is easy to remove it from the Fenders since it is small pieces. The Tape remaining on the Trunk from the Gas Cap is more of a Pain & Time Consuming. Just take your Time and be carefull and it will be fine.

David.

I heard that if you heat the rear emblem up with some light heat from a blow dryer and use 2 teflon spatchelas that it comes off without marring the paint.

Thats why I use a Bondo Spreader, they are softer then the Teflon Spatchelas.

PS: He said "Blow Dryer".....NOT Heat Gun.

David.

Thats why I use a Bondo Spreader, they are softer then the Teflon Spatchelas.

PS: He said "Blow Dryer".....NOT Heat Gun.

David.

Thanks for the pointers, I had also heard about the hair-dryer and fishing line approach, and will probably try that; first on the fenders, too see how it goes. I wanted to hear how others were doing this, so thanks a lot. Still waiting for the lettering and gas cap. I think I'll have a pro do the lettering, and I'll do the rest. I posted this on *another* site I'm on, fordgt500.com; and someone mentioned using mineral spirits to get the remaining glue off. Pretty corrosive stuff, do all think that's a good approach for the glue? Someone else said they had used 3M adhesive removers, and it scratched the piss out of his paint, he had to really do alot of scratch removal and buffing to get rid of the lettering shadows on the trunk. Anybody else have similar issues with that? Oh, yeah the fasteners on the inside of the fenders, do they stay put when you take the snakes off?

Thanks for the pointers, I had also heard about the hair-dryer and fishing line approach, and will probably try that; first on the fenders, too see how it goes. I wanted to hear how others were doing this, so thanks a lot. Still waiting for the lettering and gas cap. I think I'll have a pro do the lettering, and I'll do the rest. I posted this on *another* site I'm on, fordgt500.com; and someone mentioned using mineral spirits to get the remaining glue off. Pretty corrosive stuff, do all think that's a good approach for the glue? Someone else said they had used 3M adhesive removers, and it scratched the piss out of his paint, he had to really do alot of scratch removal and buffing to get rid of the lettering shadows on the trunk. Anybody else have similar issues with that? Oh, yeah the fasteners on the inside of the fenders, do they stay put when you take the snakes off?

I posted this to the wrong forum, forum police. Sorry. Just realized that. Go ahead and move to appropriate GT500 forum please.

OK..................The Fender Snakes & Gas Cap DO have 2 Pins each that snap into the Holes. To remove the Factory Emblems, I always use Bondo Spreaders. Just slide the thin edge under the Emblem from all sides to seperate the Emblem from the Fender but you still have to pop it off so be carefull not to break the Emblems. Do the same with the Gas Cap. When removing the items, some, if not most, of the double sided Tape will remain on the Car. It is easy to remove it from the Fenders since it is small pieces. The Tape remaining on the Trunk from the Gas Cap is more of a Pain & Time Consuming. Just take your Time and be carefull and it will be fine.

David.

Thank you David. Very good info, and thorough too. Did you have any trouble with the fender fasteners when you put the new ones on?

Thank you David. Very good info, and thorough too. Did you have any trouble with the fender fasteners when you put the new ones on?

The Pins on the Factory Emblems are Split like the old one piece wooden Cloths Pins of the 50's so the pop in real easy. Just make sure that you have the new Snakes "Right Side Up" before you pop them on........... Them Emblems and Gas cap are not held on with GLUE as you stated in a post above, they are all held on with the Gray Heavy Duty Double Sided Molding Tape. The Snakes are not that bad to remove but the Gas Cap has a round solid piece the same size as the Gas cap and is a real pain to get off. I do not recomend using the Mineral Spirits, I would use the same stuff the Body Shops use to remove Vinyl Stripes & Graphics. Hope this helps.

David.

The Pins on the Factory Emblems are Split like the old one piece wooden Cloths Pins of the 50's so the pop in real easy. Just make sure that you have the new Snakes "Right Side Up" before you pop them on........... Them Emblems and Gas cap are not held on with GLUE as you stated in a post above, they are all held on with the Gray Heavy Duty Double Sided Molding Tape. The Snakes are not that bad to remove but the Gas Cap has a round solid piece the same size as the Gas cap and is a real pain to get off. I do not recomend using the Mineral Spirits, I would use the same stuff the Body Shops use to remove Vinyl Stripes & Graphics. Hope this helps.

David.

Hey David,

Thank you for your help. I mis-spoke somewhat on the 'glue' statement, I was being kinda generic, within the context(at least in myhead) of the trunk letters. :) A buddy of mine put a Cobra faux cap on his GT, and said it was a bit of a disaster at first, he's happy the cap is there to cover his errors, let's just say. ;) The one shop I go to with this car, a body shop, they do some parts painting for me; they are real keen on 3M products, and after I read some other guy's postings on that stuff, I had doubts about asking my guys at the body shop, I know what they'll recommend. BTW I have nothing against 3M products, they are actually very good usually. I just read this other guy's horror story, and didn't want to repeat that little exercise. Going with the hair dryer, and just patiently removing the crud left over is the way to go. Thanks again for all the help with this everyone! I love these forums! I plan to contribute too. After I go through all the appearance stuff I'm into now, I'll post some DIY methods(or at least my DIMyslef) methods. ;) I am putting on the new BOI color keyed mirrors very soon, which have integral signals: URL:

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/pr...p?pid=99013190 and CJ Pony Parts has them too, but mine were back ordered for a week or so, not bad. Those are to be painted, Torch Red(the fastest color), of course, and installed. The tricky part is going to be the vampire taps into the turn signal harness they will require. I hope not to have to rip the doors and dash apart to get at things. We'll see, I guess.... Anyway after I go thru it I'lll post the technique and gotchas I run into. These mirrors just came out, as far as I know within the last few months at best, so I don't think there's a lot of DIY activity with them yet. Or is there....????

Oh, my new fender Red Cobras, in Ford packaging, do not have the split pins, they are solid in an enlongated small cross form factor, looks like it's only for alignment holes, maybe 10mm or so. They are marked with R & L indications, the real deal for sure; though an '07 GT500 P/N. Are you sure about the pins being split on the ones you have, or was that maybe just the gas cap?

Thanks again all,

-=-Dennis

Oh, my new fender Red Cobras, in Ford packaging, do not have the split pins, they are solid in an enlongated small cross form factor, looks like it's only for alignment holes, maybe 10mm or so. They are marked with R & L indications, the real deal for sure; though an '07 GT500 P/N. Are you sure about the pins being split on the ones you have, or was that maybe just the gas cap?

Thanks again all,

-=-Dennis

Hi Dennis, I have not removed the Snakes yet just the GT and Pony Emblems on 2007 Mustangs. The Pins were only about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch if that. I am sure that it is for alignment only. If I am not misstaken, the Snakes are like the Horses and Face Forward on the Fenders. Is your Shelby a Coupe or a Convertible?

David.

I used the mineral spirits to take off the leftover glue with no probs, just put some on a terry cloth towel and lightly

wipe the glue off, after that was done, I made sure I washed the area with car wash immediately, dried it and put the letters

back on.

Hi Dennis, I have not removed the Snakes yet just the GT and Pony Emblems on 2007 Mustangs. The Pins were only about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch if that. I am sure that it is for alignment only. If I am not misstaken, the Snakes are like the Horses and Face Forward on the Fenders. Is your Shelby a Coupe or a Convertible?

David.

Hi David,

I may be off a bit on the length of the pins, ;).. the two pins are different lengths on the snakes, top vs. bottom; measuring more like what you said, between a 1/4 to 3/8ths, or so. They are not split though, so I tend to agree, the holes are for alignment only, no fasteners behind there on the fenders, just the foam tape holding them on, right? Otherwise these things would be a real pain to install. The Cobras do face forward. I have a Red coupe.

Thanks,

-=-Dennis

I used the mineral spirits to take off the leftover glue with no probs, just put some on a terry cloth towel and lightly

wipe the glue off, after that was done, I made sure I washed the area with car wash immediately, dried it and put the letters

back on.

Using your method sounds good, I'm going to give it a try, and just be REAL careful with the spirits.

Thanks Keith.

-=-Dennis

I worked in a body shop years ago before going to college. The gentleman who "scratched the piss out of his paint" using a 3M product, probably did so by using the wrong type of cloth/rag with the product. About every ten years, I buy a gallon of 3M "wax and grease remover" to keep in my garage. Not only will the product work on this application but it also works great for removing things like road tar.

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Team Shelby and this forum. If I should step on my d... sorry in advance. I am in the process of replacing all my Cobra snake emblems on the exterior of the car, as well as the trunk letters(re-spacing to classic), and the faux racing fuel cap. I'm doing this because I have a red GT500(no LeMans stripes), and wanted to install the 'red' snakes, etc. from the Red pkg or whatever it's called. Already did the easy one, the grill, that took about 10 minutes, I was dawdling in there. ;) The fender mounted snakes have foam tape and what may either be alignment pins there's fasteners back there(I hope not), and I've heard the faux gas cap is a pain in the a.. Any insights, methods and guidance on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-=-Dennis

pm sent

Just a different idea for the fake rear gas cap. I had my dealer paint match the satin chrome cap to match the car color, all done right on the car. Of course the center was kept black.

So red in your case. Mine on Alloy looks great.

I worked in a body shop years ago before going to college. The gentleman who "scratched the piss out of his paint" using a 3M product, probably did so by using the wrong type of cloth/rag with the product. About every ten years, I buy a gallon of 3M "wax and grease remover" to keep in my garage. Not only will the product work on this application but it also works great for removing things like road tar.

That was probably it.

I was dropping off some mirrors to be painted at my shop, and I had just removed the fender Cobras, coincidentally before heading down there; I took all the black foam tape off with alot of patience and my thumbnails. The shop used some stuff they had that took it right off the fenders. It had turpentine in it, and some other chemicals too.

Got the Red cobras on there, and they look great! I'll post pics later, after I get the letters and gas cap done. I'm doing the gas cap, but will have someone that does lettering do those.

Thanks all for your tips and help.

Have a Happy 4th of July all!

-=-Dennis

Hi,

-=-Dennis

I also converted my Torch Red Vert to the red stripe option minus the stripe. I used the fishing line (40 lb test) method and it worked great. The fishing line method seperates the emblem from the adhesive. The fender emblems took about 20 mins start to finish. The faux fuel cap, 45 mins start to finish. I used a blow dryer and an adhesiver remover to get the residue off before applying the new emblems.

I also converted my Torch Red Vert to the red stripe option minus the stripe. I used the fishing line (40 lb test) method and it worked great. The fishing line method seperates the emblem from the adhesive. The fender emblems took about 20 mins start to finish. The faux fuel cap, 45 mins start to finish. I used a blow dryer and an adhesiver remover to get the residue off before applying the new emblems.

Done...(except for the letters, I've gotta' have a pro do that). All other Red Snakes and Faux Cap done. Looks great, if I do say so myself. A friend of mine's wife was suggesting that Ford should color match all the snakes and so on for the cars. Though a great idea, the COGs would be rejected by marketing I'm sure. They cut very careful corners on these cars, areas where they know the buyer is going to replace of modify are where they cut the costs. Rockers a great example. On the GT they're painted, a differentiator for the non-GT to GT step up. When it came to the Shelby, they were cutting things where ever they could to keep the costs down, not quality cuts, cost cutting, there's a difference. Since they know people will want the color matched ones, it creates an after market for Ford parts, and take offs. Apply model to rest of car......ANYWAY, enough.......here are some pics.

I ended up using fishing line and a hair dryer to get all emblems off, and then cleanup with finger nails, fingers, and mineral spirits. I lucked out on the gas cap. It was difficult to make the cuts with the fishing line(used 3 pieces together for strength), the black mounting foam was entirely left behind, and I was able to peal that off in one piece! No glue whatsoever left over, except for a few small specs.

post-21415-1215377796.jpg

post-21415-1215377821.jpg

post-21415-1215377842.jpg

post-21415-1215377866.jpg

post-21415-1215377899.jpg

post-21415-1215377796.jpg

post-21415-1215377821.jpg

post-21415-1215377842.jpg

post-21415-1215377866.jpg

post-21415-1215377899.jpg

Archived