TEAM SHELBY FORUM

UPDATE: Rear Seat Delete

I welcome the added weight to the rear end, helps me sling things around when I'm in the twisties and up on the cams.

The reason we have the "tire inflation kit" in the SGT is because the stock SGT 18X8.5" wheel/tire assembly will not fit in the S197 spare wheel well. One inch to large, but it's a nice storage area for accessories. Here's what I have added to my "real" spare tire kit...

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemTy...p;itemID=107395

And...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...0003259/c-10101

This stuff should get me off the highway and to a repair shop in short order.

IMHO...If you are going to travel the highways, best be prepared to handle the road hazzards you may encounter, and the OEM/factory spare tire resolution kit doesn't fill the bill for me. But, this is just IMHO.

Mounting a full size spare tire inside the car isn't that complicated. Bolt it down, strap it down, whatever pleases you. However, opening the trunk space on tap for more storage, and you can work around the full size spare complications, with the right accessories.

Another option is to inquire on ebay/google from time to time. Look for a "doughnut" spare from the 2003 and 2004 Marauders. This spare will fit the SGT bolt pattern and offset to provide the same dimensions that will likewise get you off the highway in the dark of night, and it's not as heavy (or large) as a full size spare tire. Still won't fit in then spare wheel well of the S197, but it's more compact than a full size tire/wheel assembly.

Overall, I love this rear seat delete kit! I do not expect the included 4 point cage to be approved by NASCAR, or, NHRA, but I would expect it to protect me in a roll-over.

Happy motoring, gents.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed Carl. However this particular rear seat delte "kit" is more in line with the 65 era GT 350's in a competition mode. There is a mount for the spare tire in the traditional manner so you will not have the projectile wacking your melon. It is not for everyone just the die hard Shelby fan with ties to racing or nostalgia. It is a specific market. I did hear that it will be customizable. And don't ask me what that means because I don't know. We will have details soon when the product officially releases.

Roger

Thanks for the information Roger...Please keep me posted on this when these finally are released to the public...I'm sure I would probably be interested in a kit that would block all of that off back there...I'm not into road racing "yet" anyway ;-) Maybe some day down the road if I can convince my wife to "let" me do it...LOL

Thanks again...You are a great source of information on this site

Another option is to inquire on ebay/google from time to time. Look for a "doughnut" spare from the 2003 and 2004 Marauders. This spare will fit the SGT bolt pattern and offset to provide the same dimensions that will likewise get you off the highway in the dark of night, and it's not as heavy (or large) as a full size spare tire. Still won't fit in then spare wheel well of the S197, but it's more compact than a full size tire/wheel assembly.

Happy motoring, gents.

Mac, Why wouldn't a "doughnut" spare fit into the spare tire wheel well in the SGT? I know my 96 GT had one of those back there and the jack sat inside that and was held down by the spinner on top of the jack. Is the wheel well in the trunk of the SGT "that" much smaller than the 96 GT???

Inquiring minds want to know answers to these questions, and you, like Roger, are also a good source of information on here!!!

Thanks!

Anyone thinking of relocating the battery to the pass-side trunk like the '65 GT350? Moving a 30# battery back there is a 60# weight differential and about a full point shift in WD on a 3500# car :spiteful:

Needs to use a sealed racing gell-cell battery (or relo the stocker into a vented poly battery box) ...shades of the Boss 429 too. ;-)

Anyone thinking of relocating the battery to the pass-side trunk like the '65 GT350? Moving a 30# battery back there is a 60# weight differential and about a full point shift in WD on a 3500# car :spiteful:

Needs to use a sealed racing gell-cell battery (or relo the stocker into a vented poly battery box) ...shades of the Boss 429 too. ;-)

We did this on the GT500SCJ. Steeda has a kit for it. Keep in mind, if you plan to race your car with the battery in the trunk, you'll need to add a kill switch in the rear.

What if Ford were to release the GT350 in white with blue stripes. 5.0 L naturally asp'ed 400 HP car with the FR competition suspension. Then it goes to Shelby for an UPFIT package where then turn out a few hundered GT350 "R" models? Rear seat delete/roll bar and all the good stuff.

Like a distinctive front and rear facia with brake cooling ducts. "Retro" 65 style mesh front grill with the running pony, side scoops that are functional as brake cooling duct inlets, side exhaust exits right before the rear wheels, one piece "retro" styled hood, Recaro or MOMO race seats, shifter upgrade, AC delete, radio delete, lap belts. Wimbeldon White with Gardsmen Blue stripes.

Well you get the idea. It could happen. Gas would be $7 a gallon. Oh never mind.

Ok .............. I done dreaming :lol:

Y'know, to ME, the SGT *IS* the new "GT350".

I don't need the name - it's a Mustang modified in small numbers by Shelby at his shop.

It's less powerful but lighter than the GT500, blah blah blah...

You get the idea. ^_^

As for this kit, I love it.

Not for everybody, but what is?

I love the roll bar, and I think the spare tire/wheel being visible through the back glass is eye-catching, too.

Jer

What if Ford were to release the GT350 in white with blue stripes. 5.0 L naturally asp'ed 400 HP car with the FR competition suspension. Then it goes to Shelby for an UPFIT package where then turn out a few hundered GT350 "R" models? Rear seat delete/roll bar and all the good stuff.

Like a distinctive front and rear facia with brake cooling ducts. "Retro" 65 style mesh front grill with the running pony, side scoops that are functional as brake cooling duct inlets, side exhaust exits right before the rear wheels, one piece "retro" styled hood, Recaro or MOMO race seats, shifter upgrade, AC delete, radio delete, lap belts. Wimbeldon White with Gardsmen Blue stripes.

Well you get the idea. It could happen. Gas would be $7 a gallon. Oh never mind.

Would there be a real hood scoop , huh would ther , would there be one huh...........................................and not warped........................ZDS

Dang Roger, you and I think alike. A modern day old school Shelby. :happy feet:

Am I missing something here??? There is a place under the trunk mat where you guys can mount a full size tire and wheel AND jack should you so desire... :headscratch:

I like the concept of this rear seat delete, BUT I for one don't care for the open back...I would prefer to put a full size spare where it goes (under the trunk mat) and have some actual trunk space if I so desire it...AND be able to keep things back there out of view of anyone else! Why no back??? Every other rear seat delete I've ever seen before has a back on it...

I'll admit that the CS Shelby looks good where it is on the kit, and I LOVE the idea of a roll bar being added, but come on...Not everyone wants a tire in the trunk and an open area where the backs of the seats go...

From what I can see in the pictures, it looks like the full size tire and wheel are just sitting back there with nothing to hold it down...if that's the case, how safe is that? You have a 60 pound projectile being hurled forward in an accident and it's gonna hurt when it hits you in the back of your head!

Hurt! It's gonna be what kills you! I have the standard Ford spare tire for Mustangs in my SGT with the standard scissors jack. BUT one thing you guys FORGET. The car is lowered! This means when you have a flat you won't be able to get the scissors jack (which has a compressed height of just under 3") underneath to use it. You need to also carry something like I have to drive the flat tire up on to get the clearance.

http://www.raceramps.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=67

Agreed Carl. However this particular rear seat delte "kit" is more in line with the 65 era GT 350's in a competition mode. There is a mount for the spare tire in the traditional manner so you will not have the projectile wacking your melon. It is not for everyone just the die hard Shelby fan with ties to racing or nostalgia. It is a specific market. I did hear that it will be customizable. And don't ask me what that means because I don't know. We will have details soon when the product officially releases.

Roger

Someone else here mentioned it too, but will the spare tire holder fit a 20" wheel with the tire mounted? I saw the pic in your car, so are those 20's you got there?

Someone else here mentioned it too, but will the spare tire holder fit a 20" wheel with the tire mounted? I saw the pic in your car, so are those 20's you got there?

Yes they are 20's. And I believe is will fit up to a 20" wheel.

Roger

Forgive me for my HO, but it's not the size of the wheel that matters. IMHO, the culprit is the overall diameter of the tire/wheel assembly, and the capacity of the S197 spare wheel well. The stock wheel/tire assembly is 27.25", and it's just to fat in more than direction.

I will check this again in the morning, gents, but I am pretty sure (as I post this) that the 235/50-18 tire/wheel assembly will not fit in the S197 spare tire well.

If it does, you can work around the jack issue, I have several low profile jacks that fit under my SGT, and I will post my suggestions.

Happy motoring!

I think that is likely Tim.

Roger

I can see myself doing just the roll bar...

Not that I need the back seat, per se, but I like the security of the lockable out-of-sight trunk. I occasionally need to leave valuables in the car for short periods of time. But the roll bar is REAAAALLY cool.

I can also see myself with a can of white Krylon and a dropcloth in my living room.

Kidding. Sort of.

Jer

Forgive me for my HO, but it's not the size of the wheel that matters. IMHO, the culprit is the overall diameter of the tire/wheel assembly, and the capacity of the S197 spare wheel well. The stock wheel/tire assembly is 27.25", and it's just to fat in more than direction.

I will check this again in the morning, gents, but I am pretty sure (as I post this) that the 235/50-18 tire/wheel assembly will not fit in the S197 spare tire well.

If it does, you can work around the jack issue, I have several low profile jacks that fit under my SGT, and I will post my suggestions.

Happy motoring!

I've done all the research on this a year ago. Nothing works better than just buying the standard Mustang spare. But try a junk yard first because it is expensive from the dealer.

Roger, are you sure about the price point? I've been looking at other rollbars going for over 4, without a seat delete. That's going to be a screaming deal if it's right. :drool:

Just relaing what I was told. The price point was not officially set but that was the target. We should know on about 2 weeks though.

Like the new pic in your signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Received an e-mail today stating that they have begun production. Production was delayed due to the new production facility and delays to get it up and running. People who were on the list from the begining will be receiving a discount due to their patience with the company and understanding of the delays.

They will be sending a pricing and order form via e-mail when ready.

That's the latest.

Roger

Roger,

Thanks so much. I dont remember adding myself to the waiting list so I doubt i can get added to the list for a discounted price but if you can help me out Great!!. I have been following this delete kit since I bought my shelby in January. I can't wait. This is going to be my next mod....

Archived