TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT vs. Subaru?

speedyburd33

It's upsetting but I wouldn't put them in the same class.

Exactly! The subaru only weighs around 3k# vs the extra 5-600# of the Shelby GT based on curb weights. To have a good comparison the S-GT would have to have ~355hp and then you'd have a fair comparison. Though I thought the newer Mustangs weighed in more like 3800# with the GT500 around 3900# but the curb weight was listed as 3540# for the GT.

Exactly! The subaru only weighs around 3k# vs the extra 5-600# of the Shelby GT based on curb weights. To have a good comparison the S-GT would have to have ~355hp and then you'd have a fair comparison. Though I thought the newer Mustangs weighed in more like 3800# with the GT500 around 3900# but the curb weight was listed as 3540# for the GT.

+1

Now lets do the Subaru against a Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R motorcycle. That's how much sense this and other comparisons make. Of course you can just ask yourself which car would you rather pull up in?

This is even dumber than comparing the Mustang Bullit to the Challenger SRT8 - don't these magazine publishers have any brains anymore???

+1

Now lets do the Subaru against a Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R motorcycle. That's how much sense this and other comparisons make. Of course you can just ask yourself which car would you rather pull up in?

+1

I'm getting tired of reading / hearing about these comparsions based solely on cost and/or horse power. The H3 Hummer has 300 hp and lists for about $39500, let's see a comparsion between the Subaru and that one - I really want to see the footage of the off road portion of the track. The Motor Trend test was the only comparsion I've seen that's made sense. I'm also tired of reading reviews from people that don't like American Muscle cars - like the British article or the Motor Trend review by a truck writer. If you don't like muscle cars, you won't get why our cars are great so don't waste my time with your bull :censored: review.

Matt

What a bunch of crap!! These cars do not even appeal to the same type of buyer. If you like American beef, then get the steak. If you like sushi then buy the can of dead fish.

DA

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

This comparison is a pretty big pile of :censored: I agree with everyone here :hysterical:

These are the type of responses i was expecting.

I wonder how the Subaru would fare in the "potential" dept. I don't see a whole lot of after market performance parts for it.

...and it's just plain fug-ugly!

Reminds me of the old joke...

I may be fat, but you're ugly and I can loose weight.

Lol I own both one supercharged(SGT) and one turbo 4 banger (suby) and there are tons and tons of aftermarket parts for all. both are cool cars for what I use them for. just in case you guys are hating on me too much I also own a Harley v-rod hows that for ambiguous a Harley with Porsche engineering.

But you guys are right they arent in the same class and should not of been tested against each other.....

youve got the wrong scooby there the best was the 2007 sti in that charcoal color they had now those were sweet jk on you owning the wrong one how do you like the modern day brat?

:angry2:

Bad comparsion as its obvious this person doesn't like Mustangs or is jealous he can't afford a Shelby, but you have to respect all-wheel drive! Don't forget these WRX STi's are based on World Champion rally cars! Maybe this person should do the same tests again this time use one of the 08 Shelby GT/SC cars after the Mod Shop with the bigger brakes, blower, etc.. and then see how much Sushi the horse eats? :happy feet: A stock Shelby GT is Shelby in name only and was an unfair comparsion test. Look at it like this, what's worth more 10 years from now? The Shelby! I'll take my heavier V8 Mustang any day of the week...

Lol I own both one supercharged(SGT) and one turbo 4 banger (suby) and there are tons and tons of aftermarket parts for all. both are cool cars for what I use them for. just in case you guys are hating on me too much I also own a Harley v-rod hows that for ambiguous a Harley with Porsche engineering.

But you guys are right they arent in the same class and should not of been tested against each other.....

Well, obviously I wasn't talking about YOUR car! :fool:

You know I am absolutely ashamed that you guys are even discussing this comparrision, really. The cars have nothing in common at all, one is an American Icon with a thundering V-8 and a name that every American who knows muscle cars recognizes "SHELBY MUSTANG", the other is a turbo-charged rice burner. If I was ALL OF YOU I would give this no other recognition at all. In fact I still can not believe that some UK idiot even got your goat enought to actually even start a discussion/comparrison like this. He played you all like a cheap piano!

Sorry for the blatant words but I think it was well deserved, thats the way I see it, period!

EDITED:

I am a little older and when I think of a Subaru I think of the Brat. Boy that was a piece of crap. You know the one in the 70"s. I always felt that with the new ones that picture comes to mind. Gee a subaru brat with a Hood Scoop. How nerdy is that? I mean if you were in a bar and wanted to impress the ladies, what would you say,? " Hey babe do you want to take a ride in my Subaru Brat with a Hood Scoop? The whole car has no soul to it. Just another Jap wanna be muscle car. Give me a Shelby any day! SUDDEN.

You know I am absolutely ashamed that you guys are even discussing this comparrision, really. The cars have nothing in common at all, one is an American Icon with a thundering V-8 and a name that every American who knows muscle cars recognizes "SHELBY MUSTANG", the other is a turbo-charged rice burner. If I was ALL OF YOU I would give this no other recognition at all. In fact I still can not believe that some UK idiot even got your goat enought to actually even start a discussion/comparrison like this. He played you all like a cheap piano!

Sorry for the blatant words but I think it was well deserved, thats the way I see it, period!

EDITED:

ok then!!! I guess this is the end of this discussion! :stop: No more talking about unfair comparisons! :stop:

What a bunch of crap!! These cars do not even appeal to the same type of buyer. If you like American beef, then get the steak. If you like sushi then buy the can of dead fish.

DA

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Yeah, and no matter how fast it is, it can't escape the fact that it is UGLY!

Bad comparsion as its obvious this person doesn't like Mustangs or is jealous he can't afford a Shelby, but you have to respect all-wheel drive! Don't forget these WRX STi's are based on World Champion rally cars! Maybe this person should do the same tests again this time use one of the 08 Shelby GT/SC cars after the Mod Shop with the bigger brakes, blower, etc.. and then see how much Sushi the horse eats? :happy feet: A stock Shelby GT is Shelby in name only and was an unfair comparsion test. Look at it like this, what's worth more 10 years from now? The Shelby! I'll take my heavier V8 Mustang any day of the week...

+1 The comparison obviously does not make sense. The fact that two vehicles have about the same level of performance and a similar price does not automatically make them competitors. Nothing against the Subaru though; it lacks the charisma of an American V8 but it is very good for what it is: a turbocharged, AWD, relatively affordable rally inspired performance car. It's only real competition would be the Mitsubishi Evo (I like the look of the current Mitsu better).

As far as the SGT is concerned, I think MT did it best when it compared it to other limited edition normally aspirated Mustangs (Saleen, Roush). And we know which one came out on top in that one!

The article sucks, the guy who wrote it is a moron. I have 2 Subaru STIs that park next to me at work, one blue, one silver. Know who's car gets all the attention. Not theirs. No one even looks at them they all look past their cars at mine, stand around it and let me tell them about how much fun it is to drive. Maybe the Subi can perform with it but it doesn't even register on the cool car meter. Still I hate to knock the Subaru. It is a decent car that does perform well.

The magazines just can't get enough Ford bashing or American car basing in general. I can't even read a Car and Driver article anymore. Sorry I'm ranting.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I had a 2007 BMW 335i before I had my Shelby GT. It was a great car, good looking, well made, one of the best motors ever, but I had the damn thing for 2 weeks before anyone even said diddley to me about it. The day I drove my Shelby to work and parked it I had 5 people standing around it yapping at me, looking a the motor and messing with my cool Hurst shifter. Nothing even compares to it's sex appeal. Subaru STi, not even on the same planet.

With its homely impreza pedigree, 4 doors, a hatch back, and total lack of style its actually a very cool way to get groceries. LOL. Actually to see the Sti at home on the off road rally race you get a feel for what these cars can do and frankly its impressive. But to echo everyone else the comparrison to the sgt is lame to say the least. The chances of me rally racing the sgt is about as remote as the Sti ever matching the legendary status of future collectible like a shelby.

The attitude on the video almost made me puke. Very sad... This is the most blatant apples vs oranges comparison I've ever seen.

I'm going to do a video comparing my Shelby's lifting capabilities to my Case 1845 skid loader ("Bobcat" to the masses). Let's see, the gas struts on the Shelby can lift a hood weighing 125lbs. The Skid loader can lift 2200lbs straight up without tipping over. Case Wins!

And the point would be?

I don't know why everyone makes a big to-do about any kind of car comparisons. What exactly do 'bragging rights" get you? Absolutely nothing of meaningful value. Who exactly benefits from them? Vendors....whether they be parts or magazine vendors :spend:. And how long do people remember...all of 5 minutes because after that something else attracts their attention. What an absolute waste of time, money and energy.

I don't know why everyone makes a big to-do about any kind of car comparisons. What exactly do 'bragging rights" get you? Absolutely nothing of meaningful value. Who exactly benefits from them? Vendors....whether they be parts or magazine vendors :spend:. And how long do people remember...all of 5 minutes because after that something else attracts their attention. What an absolute waste of time, money and energy.

:violin:

:beatdeadhorse:

+1 The comparison obviously does not make sense. The fact that two vehicles have about the same level of performance and a similar price does not automatically make them competitors. Nothing against the Subaru though; it lacks the charisma of an American V8 but it is very good for what it is: a turbocharged, AWD, relatively affordable rally inspired performance car. It's only real competition would be the Mitsubishi Evo (I like the look of the current Mitsu better).

As far as the SGT is concerned, I think MT did it best when it compared it to other limited edition normally aspirated Mustangs (Saleen, Roush). And we know which one came out on top in that one!

+1 exactly...

Archived