TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another Shelby Stripe flaw!

Besides the wrinkled stripes under the non functional hood scoop. Go outside to the front of your SGT and look at the "pisser" or windshield washer outlets. Look at the stripes. Mine are around 3/16 off center. Also you could look at the center rivet on the scoop. Even the bumper stripes are spaced wrong. I know this car is not a ferrari but is there any quality control or measurements or care in installation.

Besides the wrinkled stripes under the non functional hood scoop. Go outside to the front of your SGT and look at the "pisser" or windshield washer outlets. Look at the stripes. Mine are around 3/16 off center. Also you could look at the center rivet on the scoop. Even the bumper stripes are spaced wrong. I know this car is not a ferrari but is there any quality control or measurements or care in installation.

It is interesting you raised the point about Quality Control. Having extensive experience in Quality Control I went through the posts on this forum a while back and I made a list of all the problems as well as the SAI responses that were being reported by the forum members suffering through quality issues.

Having a Shelby GT myself of which it suffers from 3 quality issues as well (that I'm now in the process of trying to get resolved) I added my issues to the list as well. I then stepped back and applied the extensive QA standards and process used in my work. Using the facts as presented by the forum members as well as the responses made to members having issues and applying best-practice rigour I was able to arrive at a reasonable and probable conclusion that there is just:

1. way too many of the same quality issues being reported

2. way too much time taken to resolve things that are wrong

3. way to much reported arguing and bickering between SAI and their customers

4. way too much dragging the feet on SAI's part ...............

all of which overwhelmingly paints the likely and highly probable impression that SAI doesn't have an established best-practice QC / QA process but instead flies by its SOTP....and that the SOTP is in reality the only best-practice standard protocol they know or use to address quality issues.

To give them the benefit of the doubt I would imagine that controlling bottom-line cost is the primary reason driving them to having to get by using a SOTP process. Nonetheless one would think they would realize that this is a "credibility" black eye they are giving to themselves.

Let's face it. It has the Shelby name on it. Obviously it really is a money game. Maybe to most people buying this car they don't notice these BAD flaws. My second job for 21 years is a Contractor specializing in High end Finished Carpentry. I see all kinds of butcher work out there. I would say that 85-90% of the time the customer would never realize the exact cuts, the level, plumb, the exact lines being placed in the body of the work. Only a real good eye could notice it. But no matter who the customer is, they get the same craftsmanship everytime. Thats why they keep coming back. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. But with this car and it not being cheap, I think the lines and spaces of the stripes, even look at the front stripe bumper spaces. They should be spaced evenly. I don't know how the GT500's are but after hunting this car down, and weighing my options between the 500 and this one and going with this one because it is actually handled by Shelby personel and after the damage I received, taking a closer look at the wrinkled stripes under the cheap scoop, and the off center stripes, I wish I went with the 500. :angry2:

It is interesting you raised the point about Quality Control. Having extensive experience in Quality Control I went through the posts on this forum a while back and I made a list of all the problems as well as the SAI responses that were being reported by the forum members suffering through quality issues.

Having a Shelby GT myself of which it suffers from 3 quality issues as well (that I'm now in the process of trying to get resolved) I added my issues to the list as well. I then stepped back and applied the extensive QA standards and process used in my work. Using the facts as presented by the forum members as well as the responses made to members having issues and applying best-practice rigour I was able to arrive at a reasonable and probable conclusion that there is just:

1. way too many of the same quality issues being reported

2. way too much time taken to resolve things that are wrong

3. way to much reported arguing and bickering between SAI and their customers

4. way too much dragging the feet on SAI's part ...............

all of which overwhelmingly paints the likely and highly probable impression that SAI doesn't have an established best-practice QC / QA process but instead flies by its SOTP....and that the SOTP is in reality the only best-practice standard protocol they know or use to address quality issues.

To give them the benefit of the doubt I would imagine that controlling bottom-line cost is the primary reason driving them to having to get by using a SOTP process. Nonetheless one would think they would realize that this is a "credibility" black eye they are giving to themselves.

Guys, on the wipers, they are not centered, but the stripes all are. so so of the nozzles will look off, but the sripes are even and centered. there is nothing wecan do on these

Amy

How about the center rivet on the scoop. It also shows the stripes off in the same direction? And Amy, who's responsibility is it to report the wrinkled stripes under the scoop to Shelby. The dealer or customer?

Guys, on the wipers, they are not centered, but the stripes all are. so so of the nozzles will look off, but the sripes are even and centered. there is nothing wecan do on these

Amy

How about the center rivet on the scoop. It also shows the stripes off in the same direction? And Amy, who's responsibility is it to report the wrinkled stripes under the scoop to Shelby. The dealer or customer?

You report it to the dealer because you bought it from the dealer. The dealer handles the warranty claims.

I had my stripes replaced, and they lined the spaces up correctly around the washers as I requested. Then they put the hood scoop back on, and the stripe on the hood scoop was half an inch off. :banghead:

So then they had to replace the white stripe on the hood scoop, and all was well. :happy feet:

I had my stripes replaced, and they lined the spaces up correctly around the washers as I requested. Then they put the hood scoop back on, and the stripe on the hood scoop was half an inch off. :banghead:

So then they had to replace the white stripe on the hood scoop, and all was well. :happy feet:

If you did as you describe your stripes now have about 1 1/4" or more width between them and they no longer match the stripes on rest of the car which are 1" apart. Which is also why you had to re-stripe the scoop.

I have had the stripes on my car done twice and seen first hand that this is what happens unless you ignore the nozzles and focus on the center line of the hood and start each stripe 1/2" in from the center line. In fact your stripes I suspect now bow outwards in the middle and come back in at the bottom in an attempt to get back to 1". The result is that you no longer have the sharp razor straight line from the roof to the hood and on to the front fascia it once had and to me that is FAR worse and far more visible an issue than a little space near the nozzles.

The issue, as it was explained by my stripe guy is, unless you remove the nozzles you have to provide a cut in that allows for variances when using a set of "pre-cut" stripes. Sometimes the nozzles are off a little either way which isn't an issue usually, your eye would never see an 1/8" difference but it will mess up a pre-cut stripe application so when creating these they give a little play. He did say he hated the look and offered to cut me a custom set and remove the nozzles and stripe over and reinsert but after a week of trying to match the rest of the car we gave up and applied the ones that came from Ford Racing.

It honestly has never bothered me and no one on 50+ car shows and 12+ trophies has ever commented I am however VERY sure people would notice stripes that are not lined up.

I have seen many SGT's with problem of the stripes not being centered around the wasker nozzles.

In my opinion this either due to not lining up the stripes properly OR who ever is pre-cutting the stripes is not cutting the nozzle section out properly.

An easy fix for this problem would seem to not cut out that section just to be able to stripe around the nozzles and just remove the nozzles first, stripe the hood and then replace the nozzles over the stripe where there is no cut out around the nozzles. I think that would have looked better anyway.

How much more time would have taken to just pop the nozzles off and put them back on? 5 - 10 minutes?

Hi. I am an owner of a red 2008 GT500 with Silver pin stripes and all the rear pin stripes aer being replaced as well as the hood pin stripes. I know how you feel. I was very disappointed with it. It is a brand new car and so far am absolutley happy with the performance. How ever I fell cheated with cheap stickers on my car.

Alvin.

I have seen many SGT's with problem of the stripes not being centered around the wasker nozzles.

In my opinion this either due to not lining up the stripes properly OR who ever is pre-cutting the stripes is not cutting the nozzle section out properly.

An easy fix for this problem would seem to not cut out that section just to be able to stripe around the nozzles and just remove the nozzles first, stripe the hood and then replace the nozzles over the stripe where there is no cut out around the nozzles. I think that would have looked better anyway.

How much more time would have taken to just pop the nozzles off and put them back on? 5 - 10 minutes?

You are correct, THAT would be the best way to do the stripe!

Unfortunately it's not that way by design but recommending trying to center your stripes on the nozzles when Ford does not guarantee nozzle position will only make a bad situation worse by giving you a center line that does not match the rest of the car which is FAR FAR more important than space between the stripe and nozzle. I have seen the result of that with my own car and it looked terrible!

The stripes at SAI are applied using a laser guide and are almost perfect spacing. This is REALLY hard to do after the fact on the hood with the 1" space and dealing with the curve and bow of the hood. I know having gone through two sets of stripes and three different vinyl shops that all said "no problem!" we do stripes all the time! Yes they do, but not this close and not this straight I guess because they all tried to get me to agree on a "little wider". At one point the dealer out of frustration offered to paint my hood for free because of how hard a time it was turning out to be but agreed it would look silly. Warning to those that might be tempted unless you REALLY REALLY need your stripes replaced think twice. You may be less pleased with the result than you were at the start.

BTW: Your stripe shop needs to remove the hood to have any hope of doing this right. I caught mine trying to do this with the hood on the car. If you do this demand they remove the hood, as per SAI instructions, and do the work that way. The same is true for the scoop anyway.

Personally I intend to paint mine one day and be done with it once and for all.

Unfortunately it's not that way by design but recommending trying to center your stripes on the nozzles when Ford does not guarantee nozzle position will only make a bad situation worse by giving you a center line that does not match the rest of the car which is FAR FAR more important than space between the stripe and nozzle. I have seen the result of that with my own car and it looked terrible!

The stripes at SAI are applied using a laser guide and are almost perfect spacing. This is REALLY hard to do after the fact on the hood with the 1" space and dealing with the curve and bow of the hood. I know having gone through two sets of stripes and three different vinyl shops that all said "no problem!" we do stripes all the time! Yes they do, but not this close and not this straight I guess because they all tried to get me to agree on a "little wider". At one point the dealer out of frustration offered to paint my hood for free because of how hard a time it was turning out to be but agreed it would look silly. Warning to those that might be tempted unless you REALLY REALLY need your stripes replaced think twice. You may be less pleased with the result than you were at the start.

What do you mean by Ford does not guarantee nozzle position?

Are you saying they don't guarantee this when pre-cutting the stripes?

Or are you saying they don't guarantee this when installing the nozzle positions on the hood? Nozzle positions on the hood are the same.

I would think nozzle position being pre-cut in the stripes would be the same as well. The likely problem is due to the fact that vinyl will strecth in places when being applied and after centering the lines and spacing by the time they get to the nozzle sections the stripes end up being off centered due to the stripes being streched somewhat while being applied and making it virtually impossible to get them all to center up properly around the nozzles.

Not pre-cutting the stripes around the nozzle areas would have been better by just removing the nozzles, applying the stripes, then cutting the small hole for the nozzle and putting the nozzle covers back on would have been the way to do it and much more professional look.

What do you mean by Ford does not guarantee nozzle position?

Are you saying they don't guarantee this when pre-cutting the stripes?

Or are you saying they don't guarantee this when installing the nozzle positions on the hood? Nozzle positions on the hood are the same.

I would think nozzle position being pre-cut in the stripes would be the same as well. The likely problem is due to the fact that vinyl will strecth in places when being applied and after centering the lines and spacing by the time they get to the nozzle sections the stripes end up being off centered due to the stripes being streched somewhat while being applied and making it virtually impossible to get them all to center up properly around the nozzles.

Not pre-cutting the stripes around the nozzle areas would have been better by just removing the nozzles, applying the stripes, then cutting the small hole for the nozzle and putting the nozzle covers back on would have been the way to do it and much more professional look.

I agreed with you...not sure where the argument is here. The only way to do these right is to have no cut out, remove the nozzles, stripe over the holes, and re-install like on the GT500.

My point is that you can't center the stripes using the nozzles as the starting point as was recommended here or they will not match the centering of the stripes on the rest of the car. I have seen first hand when a stripe shop tries to do this it does not work. You need to focus on the center of the hood and work out regardless of the space between the strip edge and nozzle. I am not aware Ford centers the nozzles and guarantees that they are each in turn centered from the hood's center point but I stand by the statement that the best way to install stripes is to ignore the nozzles and measure and adjust based on the center line of the hood and where the stripes fall, as far as the nozzles go, they fall!

BTW: You are spot on with the amount of stretching and such needed to get these to stay 1" apart as you move town the curved hood. Not easy! It's WAY easier if you go 1 1/2 - 2" apart as most after market Mustangs strip kits specify. I don't think the well regarded "Sticker Dude" shop in my area ever wants to see me, or my car, again!

I agreed with you...not sure where the argument is here. The only way to do these right is to have no cut out, remove the nozzles, stripe over the holes, and re-install.

My point is that you can't center the stripes using the nozzles as was recommended here or they will not match the centering of the stripes on the rest of the car. I have seen first hand when a stripe shop tries to do this it does not work. You need to focus on the center of the hood and work out regardless of the space between the strip edge and nozzle.

I understand. No argument. I was just wanting to understand what you meant by Ford not be able to guarantee nozzle positions.

Hi. I am an owner of a red 2008 GT500 with Silver pin stripes and all the rear pin stripes aer being replaced as well as the hood pin stripes. I know how you feel. I was very disappointed with it. It is a brand new car and so far am absolutley happy with the performance. How ever I fell cheated with cheap stickers on my car.

Alvin.

I thought the GT500 stripes did go completely around the nozzles?

Alvin.

These cars don't come with "pin" stripes.

I assume you are talking about the racing stripes, which for a vinyl stripe is made of some very good quality 3M vinyl. These are thicker than your average 3M vinyl being used.

What exactly was the problem with your stripes?

There has a been a few issues that were due to the person installing them, but for the most part most of them were perfect. So far I have had no issues with mine and they are perfect.

the customer puts in a claim at the dealer, the dealer calls customer service at ford, we send a stripe fix

A

BTW: Your stripe shop needs to remove the hood to have any hope of doing this right. I caught mine trying to do this with the hood on the car. If you do this demand they remove the hood, as per SAI instructions, and do the work that way. The same is true for the scoop anyway.

Thanks for posting the caution:

"Warning to those that might be tempted unless you REALLY REALLY need your stripes replaced think twice. You may be less pleased with the result than you were at the start."

Yesterday I read on TS that the decals have a 12 mo/12,000 mile warranty. SGT 4305 has 11,760 miles, so last night I went to the garage with a flashlight and looked for flaws in my over-the-top (OTT) decals. They appear flawless other than a tiny bubble on the driver side near the front of the hood scoop. No new OTT decals for my Shelby.

Mine are getting ready to be replaced due to the water spot issues and I hope to god they come out good......if not its going to be a mess I feel. I mean these stripes as big as they are and much space as they cover you'd think some one would have spent a little more time working out the kinks as many as have been done at this point. The first set ever laid on a car at that time some one should have recognized no cut out was needed around the nozzles, simply lay it over, cut a hole, and replace the nozzle. I am not as anal about the small stuff as some folks are, but this was a no brainer.

Mine are getting ready to be replaced due to the water spot issues and I hope to god they come out good......if not its going to be a mess I feel. I mean these stripes as big as they are and much space as they cover you'd think some one would have spent a little more time working out the kinks as many as have been done at this point. The first set ever laid on a car at that time some one should have recognized no cut out was needed around the nozzles, simply lay it over, cut a hole, and replace the nozzle. I am not as anal about the small stuff as some folks are, but this was a no brainer.

Don't hope...be sure to tell them the stripes are 1" ALL THE WAY down the hood from the center line. Do not try to use the washer nozzles as a guide nor try to equally space them from the nozzles. The most important thing is that they are aligned with the rest of the stripes. When you pick it up bring a ruler.

Take REALLY good pictures to show later if needed.

Good luck!

"Warning to those that might be tempted unless you REALLY REALLY need your stripes replaced think twice. You may be less pleased with the result than you were at the start."

Yesterday I read on TS that the decals have a 12 mo/12,000 mile warranty. SGT 4305 has 11,760 miles, so last night I went to the garage with a flashlight and looked for flaws in my over-the-top (OTT) decals. They appear flawless other than a tiny bubble on the driver side near the front of the hood scoop. No new OTT decals for my Shelby.

Whoa, hold the phones. Can we get someone at SAI to confirm or deny this 12/12,000 warranty time??? I have stripe issues. I have 2 lines that go through the stripe horizontally. It appears to be a defect in the vinyl from the manufacturer like it was folded in half. I notifired my dealer but we decided to wait until the hood scoop fix is out so we only have to fix it once. So now this concerns me. I have had mny car just over 1 year.

Whoa, hold the phones. Can we get someone at SAI to confirm or deny this 12/12,000 warranty time??? I have stripe issues. I have 2 lines that go through the stripe horizontally. It appears to be a defect in the vinyl from the manufacturer like it was folded in half. I notifired my dealer but we decided to wait until the hood scoop fix is out so we only have to fix it once. So now this concerns me. I have had mny car just over 1 year.

I don't remember ever seeing that anywhere here, or anywhere else, and it's not stated in the warranty info that came with the car that I see.

????

I don't remember ever seeing that anywhere here, or anywhere else, and it's not stated in the warranty info that came with the car that I see.

????

Agreed.

In fact, I read just the opposite. Pages 12 and 13 (of 38?) of the warranty guide specify what is not covered by the Ford factory warranty. Paint and trim are spcifically mentioned, and that warranty expires "once the car leaves the control of Ford". Paint and trim are absent from the SGT supplement.

IMHO, any repair to stripes and hood scoop is discretionary.

Amy

Thats good to hear, when I installed my Photo Lemans Stripes I thought I was off about 1/4 inch. To recreate just one of the Stripes for my Hood is about $125.00. Thanks for the info Amy.

Right, I took my Nozzles off when I installed my Stripes. I then just cut a hole and poped the Nozzles back in.

Alvin.

Well, you can always have the Stripes painted on in the Same Color with the Same Metallic Size. Should cost about $750.00 to $1,000.00.

David.

Nah, I had the water spot issue, so I had the stripes on the entire car replaced, not just the hood, so they actually lined the stipes up fine on the rest of the car, 1" apart, and they look fine (at least, better compared to what was on there before). It looks like they put thicker (or at least a different type) of vinyl stripe on, so I'm happy about that. Maybe it will hold up better over time. I much rather would have preferred to pay a little and have the stipes painted on, but they told me they couldn't do that. :headscratch:

If you did as you describe your stripes now have about 1 1/4" or more width between them and they no longer match the stripes on rest of the car which are 1" apart. Which is also why you had to re-stripe the scoop.

I have had the stripes on my car done twice and seen first hand that this is what happens unless you ignore the nozzles and focus on the center line of the hood and start each stripe 1/2" in from the center line. In fact your stripes I suspect now bow outwards in the middle and come back in at the bottom in an attempt to get back to 1". The result is that you no longer have the sharp razor straight line from the roof to the hood and on to the front fascia it once had and to me that is FAR worse and far more visible an issue than a little space near the nozzles.

The issue, as it was explained by my stripe guy is, unless you remove the nozzles you have to provide a cut in that allows for variances when using a set of "pre-cut" stripes. Sometimes the nozzles are off a little either way which isn't an issue usually, your eye would never see an 1/8" difference but it will mess up a pre-cut stripe application so when creating these they give a little play. He did say he hated the look and offered to cut me a custom set and remove the nozzles and stripe over and reinsert but after a week of trying to match the rest of the car we gave up and applied the ones that came from Ford Racing.

It honestly has never bothered me and no one on 50+ car shows and 12+ trophies has ever commented I am however VERY sure people would notice stripes that are not lined up.

Yesterday I read on TS that the decals have a 12 mo/12,000 mile warranty.

Whatever you read was wrong!

It is a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty including the stripes.

I can't copy and paste it from this computer but I will post it later when I get home. Stripes are included in the 3/36 warranty according the warranty information I have provided from Ford.

Nah, I had the water spot issue, so I had the stripes on the entire car replaced, not just the hood, so they actually lined the stipes up fine on the rest of the car, 1" apart, and they look fine (at least, better compared to what was on there before). It looks like they put thicker (or at least a different type) of vinyl stripe on, so I'm happy about that. Maybe it will hold up better over time. I much rather would have preferred to pay a little and have the stipes painted on, but they told me they couldn't do that. :headscratch:

Just to let you know.......................... Thinkness wise, High Performance Vinyl is real Thin and lasts 7 to 10 Years, the Thicker the Vinyl the less it will last. Manuafacturers use a medium grade vinyl that will last 2 to 5 Years if your lucky.

David.

Let's face it. It has the Shelby name on it. Obviously it really is a money game. Maybe to most people buying this car they don't notice these BAD flaws. My second job for 21 years is a Contractor specializing in High end Finished Carpentry. I see all kinds of butcher work out there. I would say that 85-90% of the time the customer would never realize the exact cuts, the level, plumb, the exact lines being placed in the body of the work. Only a real good eye could notice it. But no matter who the customer is, they get the same craftsmanship everytime. Thats why they keep coming back. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. But with this car and it not being cheap, I think the lines and spaces of the stripes, even look at the front stripe bumper spaces. They should be spaced evenly. I don't know how the GT500's are but after hunting this car down, and weighing my options between the 500 and this one and going with this one because it is actually handled by Shelby personel and after the damage I received, taking a closer look at the wrinkled stripes under the cheap scoop, and the off center stripes, I wish I went with the 500. :angry2:

Perception is everything. I also have minor cosmetic flaws in the stripes. They are NOT perfect around the washer tips, the ****** dealer wrenched down the front license plate bracket, my scoop is starting to lift a little, did I mention there is a front license plate frame? All things being equal, I would still buy this car at the price I paid, no question.

Dan

edit ***remove rant*** ;)

Archived