TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trouble filling gas tank

We went for a drive this evening and stopped for fuel. The tank was about a third full. I set the nozzle on the first notch and and it began filling. It stopped with in a very short time. I started it again and it immediately stopped as if it was full. I kept trying different ways to fill it and nothing would work. I checked the gauge and the info and it was only half full. It continued to shut off and kick back like our 1967 Mustang does . On it I expect this and have learned how to make it work. I finally left and drove to another gas station. I started filling and the same thing happened. I finally got it to take gas by barely squeezing the handle. Once it started I was able to set it and it filled. This has never happened previously. Does anyone have a possible reason this happened? I guess I should mention this is a 2007 GT 500. Thanks for any possible reasons or what I should do if it happens again.

Denny

When you fill your tank hold the nozzle updise down, then fill. This works 100% of the time when this happens to me.

Ooo...Nice tip. I'll have to remember that when it happens to me next.

FORD: 2005-2007 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 06-3-13 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles may experience premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle. Several variables, including variations in fuel pump nozzles, fuel flow rates, and fuel flow pressure may result in the premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle making it more difficult to fill the fuel tank.

The automatic shut off in the fuel fill nozzle may trigger multiple times after delivering several gallons of fuel or it may trigger repeatedly when attempting to establish fuel flow into the fuel tank. The latter concern may be more common when adding fuel to a vehicle where the fuel level is at or above 1/2 full.

ACTION:

Refer to Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

On 2005 Mustangs vehicles built before 4/26/2005 that experience premature automatic shut-off of the fuel fill nozzle more than occasionally may benefit from replacing the fuel tank with a revised design tank per TSB 05-15-12. The revised design fuel tank may reduce the occurrence of premature automatic shut off.

On 2005 Mustang vehicles built on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006-2007 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. As a result, replacing the fuel tank on these vehicles will not change the occurrence of automatic fuel fill shut off.

Occurrences of premature shut-off may be resolved or improved by using a different filling station fuel pump. Unauthorized modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle are not reimbursable under warranty and are not recommended for this issue.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

05-15-12

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

I've had good luck with turning the nozzle 90 degrees, which is easier for me to control than completely upside down.

Tried the 90 degree turn but it does not work all the time.

Turning the nozzle 180 degrees works on even the most stubborn pumps 100 % of the time.

I posted on this site about a month ago with a problem on my gas guage. I would fill the car up until the gas ran out of the filler neck. Some guys told me it was a sending unit problem, etc. Well today, I took the advice of somebody on this post and filled up the tank with the nozzle upside down. It took 11.6 gallons and when I got in the car it said full on the guage. I started out filling it the regular way and at 5.3 gallons it would not take any more. It kept coming out of the neck. Thanks for the advice. I will not have to get my sending unit fixed. Now I just need to take it in for the recall on the airbag.

Turning the nozzle 180 degrees works on even the most stubborn pumps 100 % of the time.

Last night i took her out and pulled over to fill her up...sure enough it would stop the pump ....i followed your advice and it filled up well no interruption. no spilling gasoline....thx for the tip :happy feet:

Mine did this to me yesterday. It clicked off and took almost 3 more gallons. This same pump overfills my truck every time too, so I was expecting some drizzle trail on the paint.

I have only about 900 miles so this is my third fill, so I don't know if it's a trend or not...

I posted on this site about a month ago with a problem on my gas guage. I would fill the car up until the gas ran out of the filler neck. Some guys told me it was a sending unit problem, etc. Well today, I took the advice of somebody on this post and filled up the tank with the nozzle upside down. It took 11.6 gallons and when I got in the car it said full on the guage. I started out filling it the regular way and at 5.3 gallons it would not take any more. It kept coming out of the neck. Thanks for the advice. I will not have to get my sending unit fixed. Now I just need to take it in for the recall on the airbag.

That was me that gave you the tip in a earlier thread.

This is how I found out about this trick and I cant take credit for it. I was driving from Phoenix to San Jose Ca. I was almost out of gas and pulled off to fill up. I could not even put a tenth of a gallon in without it stopping. I really thought it was a pump and was frustrated and sleep deprived. I told my friend "Here you try to fill it. I give up."

Alot of people say my friend is a social idiot but it took him about thirty seconds to figure out turning the nozzle upsidedown fills the tank all the way. Its amazing how some people can be a little socially slow but mechanically or mathematical geniuses. He has helped me out in a lot of spots like this with alot of my other cars.

EXPcustom:

Well, thanks for the tip. You saved me a day of warranty at the dealership. From now on, I will just keep filling my tank backwards.

Wayne

I had my '05 GT for 3-1/2 years. I always had this problem. Yeah, turning it upside down works. I get lucky with some gas stations and am able to walk away and do my windows while filling, but not very often.

Archived