TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Map light trim

I picked up the Scott Drake aluminum map light trim with Shelby stamped in it the other day. Boy was I disappointed. The piece is stamped out of medium-duty aluminum foil and can be damaged with a fingernail. (I know) The directions said to pre-fit it first, which I am glad I did, because it didn't fit. The edges were a bit too splayed out to fit properly into the grooved area on the map light. I fought with it until I had a good sweat worked up, then figured out how to remove the map light so I could work on it indoors. Once I got it fitting as well as I could, I peeled off the paper backing tape and managed to bend the piece again. There is no foam tape underneath, just a layer of gummy glue. I got it stuck on fairly well, but the ends just wouldn't stick. Yes, I cleaned the plastic with alcohol first, but the ends just wouldn't stay down. Somehow, I managed to remove the trim without destroying it, spent another hour reshaping it, and added some thin strips of 3M emblem tape to the back. I then reinstalled it and it looked ok. Not great, but ok. I came out of work today and the ends had popped back out. I really loved the item when I first saw it, but nothing so simple should be so difficult to make look good. I know billet would be cost prohibitive, but come on, at least use heavy-duty foil!

Edit. I added pics. I made the ding above the "B" with my fingernail! Then I dinged my wife's car getting out of the SGT after getting these pics! &^*(^@#^!!!

post-12805-1214528945.jpg

post-12805-1214528953.jpg

post-12805-1214528960.jpg

post-12805-1214528945.jpg

post-12805-1214528953.jpg

post-12805-1214528960.jpg

I picked up the Scott Drake aluminum map light trim with Shelby stamped in it the other day. Boy was I disappointed. The piece is stamped out of medium-duty aluminum foil and can be damaged with a fingernail. (I know) The directions said to pre-fit it first, which I am glad I did, because it didn't fit. The edges were a bit too splayed out to fit properly into the grooved area on the map light. I fought with it until I had a good sweat worked up, then figured out how to remove the map light so I could work on it indoors. Once I got it fitting as well as I could, I peeled off the paper backing tape and managed to bend the piece again. There is no foam tape underneath, just a layer of gummy glue. I got it stuck on fairly well, but the ends just wouldn't stick. Yes, I cleaned the plastic with alcohol first, but the ends just wouldn't stay down. Somehow, I managed to remove the trim without destroying it, spent another hour reshaping it, and added some thin strips of 3M emblem tape to the back. I then reinstalled it and it looked ok. Not great, but ok. I came out of work today and the ends had popped back out. I really loved the item when I first saw it, but nothing so simple should be so difficult to make look good. I know billet would be cost prohibitive, but come on, at least use heavy-duty foil!

Exactly the same here. :censored:

I've got it looking as good as I can, but it's sorta cheesy and cheap. Same thing with the washer spray caps and the door lock gizmos.

Dan

Thanks for letting us know. I suspected that some of the interior stuff could be kinda silly. It looks pretty much the way I expected it would. Thats ok though cuz there is plenty other things that I can buy on the site like bigger brakes and such.

Thanks for letting us know. I suspected that some of the interior stuff could be kinda silly. It looks pretty much the way I expected it would. Thats ok though cuz there is plenty other things that I can buy on the site like bigger brakes and such.

I have had to use 3M Emblem Adhesive to get the ends to stay put. Nothing else has worked. It looks good!

It is a piece of crap and waste of money. I fitted mine prior, put it in place and it stayed for ohhh about 2 days then started pealing off. I know no one that has had a good experience with it. To top that off the pushbutton covers would not fit. I had to use a flat head machine bolt to push them on and they still do not fit properly.

This is one mod I wish I would have skipped.

I too would not recommend this piece. I did get the light push buttons to fit properly and the map light trim for the most part but this piece is extremenly thin and the drivers side keeps popping out like in the pic above.

Knowing what I know now about it I would almost rather donate the $30 to the Democratic Party.

Hi Guys,

I know this was brought up once before and I copied my reply below. We want you all to know that we do care and appreciate the feedback. It is the type we rely on to continually improve our product line. As always, if you are not happy with the part, you can call or email any one of us at SPP and we will refund your money. I can be reached directly at kcriswell@shelbyperformanceparts.com Thanks-

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=448161

Hi Guys,

I know this was brought up once before and I copied my reply below. We want you all to know that we do care and appreciate the feedback. It is the type we rely on to continually improve our product line. As always, if you are not happy with the part, you can call or email any one of us at SPP and we will refund your money. I can be reached directly at kcriswell@shelbyperformanceparts.com Thanks-

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=448161

I have to admit this was not my most pleasurable installation. I slightly bent the corners and then used clear silicon adhesive to get it to bond better. So far so good but as it's gotten hot it feels a little unstable. Dave

000_0014.jpg

After reading all this, checking out the other thread that I didn't know existed, :censored: , and reading SPP Keith's answer, I do think I'll return the part. I saw the guarantee on the package where Carroll says I have his word on it. Well, maybe if we return rather than eat the part Scott Drake will improve it to where we'll want to try it again. As it is, it doesn't enhance my interior, it cheapens it. And it looked so nice in the catalog, too....

i agree completely mine looks like shit. not only does it look bad, the damn map light button covers didn't fit, and in the process of trying to force it on i broke the Effin switch and then the light would not turn off, had to pull the bulb. Now i get to take her to the ford lot not only to get the oil changed and the damn air bag recall done i get to get a new map light assy. woo hoo yippie for me. stupid maplight trim.

Agree with all. I bought it and didnt even try to install....it hit the trash can awfully hard. Steve

Although I haven't bought these items that was my thought exactly. Just because you make a mistake and buy something that's obviously cheap and worthless doesn't mean you have to live with it. Heck, I've lost $30 before and never missed it. Why be bothered every day looking at some crap like that? Just saying

:slapfight:

Jim

After reading all this, checking out the other thread that I didn't know existed, :censored: , and reading SPP Keith's answer, I do think I'll return the part. I saw the guarantee on the package where Carroll says I have his word on it. Well, maybe if we return rather than eat the part Scott Drake will improve it to where we'll want to try it again. As it is, it doesn't enhance my interior, it cheapens it. And it looked so nice in the catalog, too....

My worry with that is trying to take it off and if it leaves damage or residue where it was. The covers for the map lights were so tight I do not think they will come off without damaging it. Otherwise I would send this back in a heart beat.

The large trim piece came off easily, leaving no residue, though it bent. I'm not even taking the button caps off. They were hard to get on, I nearly broke one button in the process, and had to dismantle the whole thing to get them to work properly. I bought the piece locally, and have already called to complain about it. They sound easy to deal with. I don't think they'll have a fit because two tiny caps that barely fit in the first place are not in the package. I'm not breaking my parts to take theirs off. I would be interested in a new and improved part in the future, though. I sure wanted that to look nice...

I have wanted this piece for awhile, and finally bought it last night (before I saw this thread). I bought it from another vendor since I felt like I had been burned on the shipping by UPS on the gas cap emblem. I'm thinking I will look it over before I open it if it's in plastic and make a decision then. I think those buttons seem like the worst problem so I will probably not try to use them. Mine is a non-IUP car and I have wanted to tastefully dress up the interior for awhile now. Sounds like this may not be the way to do it...

Archived