TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Upgrading to Nav System...Is it possible?

My 07 SGT currently has a Shaker 500 Stereo with Sirius Sat. Radio. I am thinking about upgrading to the Nav System. Does anyone know if the Pioneer Nav. system that came with some of the Shelby's is a directly plug-n-play for my current stereo or is it configured differently. Also, where is the subscription information held for the Sirius Satellite radio held? Is it located in the radio itself or in the cars pcm? And lastly. does anyone know the part number for the Pioneer Nav. system?

My 07 SGT currently has a Shaker 500 Stereo with Sirius Sat. Radio. I am thinking about upgrading to the Nav System. Does anyone know if the Pioneer Nav. system that came with some of the Shelby's is a directly plug-n-play for my current stereo or is it configured differently. Also, where is the subscription information held for the Sirius Satellite radio held? Is it located in the radio itself or in the cars pcm? And lastly. does anyone know the part number for the Pioneer Nav. system?

No it is not plug and play. A bit of work but it can be done. The last one that the dealership had installed was approx $2000.00 . As for the subscription, if you mean the esn for the sirus it is on the sirus module, it is in right rear of the trunk according to the shop manual just below the tail lamp. Have not looked to verify. Sorry on the last one as there are a few differant ones. hope that helps

No it is not plug and play. A bit of work but it can be done. The last one that the dealership had installed was approx $2000.00 . As for the subscription, if you mean the esn for the sirus it is on the sirus module, it is in right rear of the trunk according to the shop manual just below the tail lamp. Have not looked to verify. Sorry on the last one as there are a few differant ones. hope that helps

Yeah, the box for the Sirius is located on the inside of the right rear quarter panel under the trunk mat...or that is where mine is on my 2008 anyway...I don't think they'd change the location that much....

I too want to do this mod...I assume you are talking about the standard FORD OEM Navigation radio...at least that is what I want in the car to replace my shaker 500 system...I've seen some aftermarket units and they are somewhat smaller than the stock radio opening and I don't want that...I want the factory look...

SOmewhere on this board is a write up of a Pioneer something or other nav system being installed which is supposed to be far superior. My understanding is you are limited on what you can do with the stock Nav system once your car is moving.

it has to do with the operator trying to do things while the vehicle is in motion...as a safety and liability issue, you must have the emergency brake engaged in order to make changes to your route, etc. However, the Pioneer and Avic systems have the same things built into them, but all can be bypassed by splicing a few wires together...

I too want to do this mod...I assume you are talking about the standard FORD OEM Navigation radio...at least that is what I want in the car to replace my shaker 500 system...I've seen some aftermarket units and they are somewhat smaller than the stock radio opening and I don't want that...I want the factory look...

I was under the impression that all the Nav systems that came from the factory in the Shelbys were manufatured by Pioneer. Does Ford make their own system? And if so, is the Ford system a direct replacement for the shaker 500 system?

I was under the impression that all the Nav systems that came from the factory in the Shelbys were manufatured by Pioneer. Does Ford make their own system? And if so, is the Ford system a direct replacement for the shaker 500 system?

I'm sure Ford does not make their own radios...I believe it might be a Clarion or Audiovox system, I'm not real sure...but I'm talking about what comes stock in the Mustang/Explorer/Navigator when you buy one equipped with NAV from Ford...I've seen several on EBay a while back for around $600.00, but haven't seen any on there in the last several weeks...of course, you have to have it programmed for the functions in your particular car, and I'm not sure if that is something that the local dealer can do or not...One EBay dealer says he's the only one who will deliver the radio pre-programmed for your car if you tell him what it is going in when you buy, but who knows for sure...He's also about $500.00 higher than the others...LOL

I'm sure Ford does not make their own radios...I believe it might be a Clarion or Audiovox system, I'm not real sure...but I'm talking about what comes stock in the Mustang/Explorer/Navigator when you buy one equipped with NAV from Ford...I've seen several on EBay a while back for around $600.00, but haven't seen any on there in the last several weeks...of course, you have to have it programmed for the functions in your particular car, and I'm not sure if that is something that the local dealer can do or not...One EBay dealer says he's the only one who will deliver the radio pre-programmed for your car if you tell him what it is going in when you buy, but who knows for sure...He's also about $500.00 higher than the others...LOL

Nothings ever easy!!

it has to do with the operator trying to do things while the vehicle is in motion...as a safety and liability issue, you must have the emergency brake engaged in order to make changes to your route, etc. However, the Pioneer and Avic systems have the same things built into them, but all can be bypassed by splicing a few wires together...

You can seperate the wire from the harness that goes to the Emergency brake or brake and just ground it to the car, then you can do whatever you want, whenever you want...I have done this on a couple of my vehicles for NAV and TV's.

I would recommend something like a Garmin GPS, which is what I have. Its entirely portable, runs on 12v or battery and you can move it from car to car or even walk with it. They are MUCH less costly. If they get outdated one day you just buy another one (which will by then be cheaper and even more improved).

I would recommend something like a Garmin GPS, which is what I have. Its entirely portable, runs on 12v or battery and you can move it from car to car or even walk with it. They are MUCH less costly. If they get outdated one day you just buy another one (which will by then be cheaper and even more improved).

+1...I was going to post the same thing and you beat me to it.

I've had two Pioneer in dash units, and they worked well, but I found them hard to manage from behind the wheel. I now have the Garmin Nuvi 760 and I find it very flexible and easy to manage. Found it on ebay for under 500 bucks, and I can use it anywhere.

+1...I was going to post the same thing and you beat me to it.

I've had two Pioneer in dash units, and they worked well, but I found them hard to manage from behind the wheel. I now have the Garmin Nuvi 760 and I find it very flexible and easy to manage. Found it on ebay for under 500 bucks, and I can use it anywhere.

+1111 the GPS units are so cheap these days, getting more for your money. Go for a dash mount and save your cash for a worthwhile mod...

Great idea, but if you still want it in the dash, check out a Kenwood DSX-5120, 7120, 8120. Search Ebay and you'll find a few.

Hey All,

I did have the Ford Nav system swapped, you CAN NOT upgrade the Shaker 1000, must be the 500, I think it was about 2K installed and my old radio returned.

I have no clue who makes it, its a decent system, not as nice as my Alpine Nav in my P/U, but it works and looks good.

Lata

Moe in NH

I have the factory Nav and yes Pioneer makes it. It's pretty easy and has presets for your address book etc. but the high end Pioneer someone posted here that also plays DVDs is really cool and looks REALLY good too!

Hey, anyone know where the Nav antenna is on the factory unit? I can't find it!

From what I've heard, the Shaker 500 is upgradeable (but requires programming at the dealer), the Shaker 1000 is not, because the NAV head unit does not support the control functions for the Shaker 1000's trunk subwoofer.

Also, I'll add my 2 cents - My Garmin is pretty cool, and I can put it EXACTLY where I want it mounted, move it between my cars anytime, upgrade it easily, and even take it with me on vacation for my rental cars. Hell, I've even carried it as a pedestrian when traveling in unknown areas, and it has a setting for that (to ignore One Way streets, etc...). It's a Nuvi 350, on sale at Amazon for $199 right now.

The other thing to consider is that (because the factory unit fits many Ford models) it carries a HIGH theft risk. A friend of mine in the business put it best when he told me "If you buy the factory NAV, just order a new drivers' side window at the same time, so you're ready next week". ;)

Jer

Archived