TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Water spots on the front grille...

txcobra

Can anyone tell me the best way to get the plastic in the front grill to look black again? The hard water spots have turned it white...is it too late? Thanks for any advice.

I took some foam glass cleaner and lathered mine up. I let is soak for a few minutes, and followed up with a thin microfiber towel in each crevice. If any residue was still left, take some Q-tips to it.....the glass cleaner does not have to a specific brand, but rather a strong foam really seems to eat away at dirt and water spots.

Hope this works!

Sudguy4

Can anyone tell me the best way to get the plastic in the front grill to look black again? The hard water spots have turned it white...is it too late? Thanks for any advice.

Just take a mix of half vinegar and half water. Cleans it up like new. Great after washing the car before a wax, too.

and to avoid this in the future, get one of those hose end contraptions that has a built in filter, so you can follow your final rinse with deionized water (you only use it to displace the mineral containing rinse water on the car that came from your home piping)

Man I just love this forum and the great men and women here....

I was thinking of asking the same question after washing my black stallion this week.

Can washing your car in the direct sun light cause spots, or is it more to do with the hard water?

I have spots on my hood, and on the top of the car, any suggestions about getting that out?

Thanks everyone, this site is GREAT!!!!!! :yahoo: :happy feet:

BigDrawz

Man I just love this forum and the great men and women here....

I was thinking of asking the same question after washing my black stallion this week.

Can washing your car in the direct sun light cause spots, or is it more to do with the hard water?

I have spots on my hood, and on the top of the car, any suggestions about getting that out?

Thanks everyone, this site is GREAT!!!!!! :yahoo: :happy feet:

BigDrawz

BigDrawz,

I would suggest the following as a first step. I prefer washing my car in the evenings, aroudn 7:00 or so....you have no direct sunlight, but here in AL, it's clear enough to see what you're doing. I would first start by re-washing your car if its been a driven anywhere since you washed it last. Small dirt particles can scratch a nice finish if you attempt to do any buffing on the car before at the very least rinsing the car off and towel drying it.

Here is what I suggest for water spots...again, this is a baseline...without seeing a pic. of the spots, I can only assume they are minor and not a case of severe acid rain damage.

1. Use Meguire's No. 7 Mirror Glaze Hand Polish.....it should break down the calcium "rings" you are seeing from the spot and give the paint the nutrients it needs to breath, as well as add a really nice gloss....again, DO NOT perform this while the paint is hot or in direct sunlight....it could cause bad streaking.

2. Follow up with a quick rinse of the surface, and then towel-dry once again. This will help move any uneven polish across the entire span of the vehicle, and allow you to see if the product removed the spot.

3. If this did not work, PM me and I will research what I've done in the past.

Hope this helps!

Sudguy4

Detailer by heart 1992-2005 :happy feet:

Disgruntled Accountant by trade 2006-present :jackinbox:

Wish this thread would have been started a week earlier....I spent the better part of last Sunday afternoon with a bunch of Q-tips and Mothers Back to Black :(

mitch

Yah, but I bet she look beautiful.

Just take a mix of half vinegar and half water. Cleans it up like new. Great after washing the car before a wax, too.

Making it warm is even better, but remember, anywhere the vinegar goes. So goes your wax. So rewax it, then I'd coat the grill in ICE Liquid polish.

Shelby-May-08-013.jpg

Water spots and white hazing of plastic is all contributed to hard water right. I rent deionized water tanks for $35 a month just to wash my rides and use a wet dry vac to suck the water out of the cracks. works great, sure you could find a company to provide you with those filters, just look for any industrial water supply place to get them. way better than those end of the hose attachments and makes washing your cars easy, even in direct sunlight. Then to get a awesome shine use an aresol dressing like magic 10 from malco.

post-11856-1214628273.jpg

post-11856-1214628273.jpg

sure you could find a company to provide you with those filters, just look for any industrial water supply place to get them.

Or get them at Costco. $200 bucks ready to go with hose, nozzle and cart with wheels.

I don't think it is plastic...I think it is aluminum or SS as I have used very fine grade steel-wool on several occassions to get water-spots and blemishes out. And the steel wool did not scratch any part of the front of the grill or the black inside portion. And it shined up just as one would expect metal to do.

BigDrawz,

I would suggest the following as a first step. I prefer washing my car in the evenings, aroudn 7:00 or so....you have no direct sunlight, but here in AL, it's clear enough to see what you're doing. I would first start by re-washing your car if its been a driven anywhere since you washed it last. Small dirt particles can scratch a nice finish if you attempt to do any buffing on the car before at the very least rinsing the car off and towel drying it.

Here is what I suggest for water spots...again, this is a baseline...without seeing a pic. of the spots, I can only assume they are minor and not a case of severe acid rain damage.

1. Use Meguire's No. 7 Mirror Glaze Hand Polish.....it should break down the calcium "rings" you are seeing from the spot and give the paint the nutrients it needs to breath, as well as add a really nice gloss....again, DO NOT perform this while the paint is hot or in direct sunlight....it could cause bad streaking.

2. Follow up with a quick rinse of the surface, and then towel-dry once again. This will help move any uneven polish across the entire span of the vehicle, and allow you to see if the product removed the spot.

3. If this did not work, PM me and I will research what I've done in the past.

Hope this helps!

Sudguy4

Detailer by heart 1992-2005 :happy feet:

Disgruntled Accountant by trade 2006-present :jackinbox:

SUDGUY4

thanks for all of the advice, the water spots were not that substantial. I simply washed the car after 7pm so that the sun did not aid in my drying of the car. And i bought one of those Mr. Clean filter washing things and did my final rinse with that, and the results are great.....

Again thanks

BigDrawz

I don't have a Costco out here and will need to order it.

Thx

No Costco? Isn't Texas part of the civilized world? :hysterical:

try this site, I tried to make it a link but it was a no go.

www.spotlesswatersystems.com

Costco sold me model # DIC-20C for approximately $220 bucks (note; find a Costco!)

Wash in the hot sun and walk away!

post-13123-1215197609.jpg

post-13123-1215197609.jpg

Archived