TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing and replacing stock steering wheel

I bought a GT500 steering wheel to replace my stocker on my Shelby GT.

Mine didn't come w/ the leather wrapped wheel and the composite is a little rough on the hands on long drives.

Is this a job that a guy w/ average mechanical skills can handle or should I just have the dealer do so it's done right the first time? :lurk:

You can do it yourself. I did mine.

SteeringWheelinstall001.jpg

SteeringWheelinstall005.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

That's exactly what I needed. :beerchug:

I just need a torque wrench.

Where did you get your steering wheel?

I got mine from Blue Oval Industries and it came w/ an extra boot.

Same place. I only went with the GT500 with the red stitching. Then shipped it out to W. Rau Restorations in Cali. for the carbon fiber conversion. Blue Oval had the best price at the time. Didn't get the boot. I had it custom made with red stitching to match the wheel.

BeautyShots2013.jpg

Roger

Thanks.

That's exactly what I needed. :beerchug:

I just need a torque wrench.

Where did you get your steering wheel?

I got mine from Blue Oval Industries and it came w/ an extra boot.

I got mine from Blue Oval also with he black stitching. The boot is real leather and not the stuff that comes with the car.

Don't forget to do the depowering and repowering sequence before and after you do the air bag.

I got mine from Blue Oval also with he black stitching. The boot is real leather and not the stuff that comes with the car.

Don't forget to do the depowering and repowering sequence before and after you do the air bag.

What is the depowering / repowering procedure? Do you have that section of the manual? (Thanks for your advice)

I had a Ford Master Tech assist me and all he did was disconnect the battery.

The Ford instructions also say to remove the RCM fuse from the SJB. I didn't do that but I did remove the negative battery terminal, and then turned on the lights and stepped on the brake, etc. to deplete all the charges in the airbag sensors. Then you need to turn all the stuff off.

The idea is to not have any charges in the systems that may power one of the airbag sensors.

You can do it yourself. I did mine.

SteeringWheelinstall001.jpg

SteeringWheelinstall005.jpg

Hope this helps.

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Archived