TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got my Tires, have a few questions??????????

I now have everything I need to put on my CS69's. I have my tires, TPs's, and my bands for the TPs's. Obvioulsy this will not all fit in the Shelby so I could drop them off, go home, and bring the Shelby in to get them mounted or get them done and mount them myself.

My question is if I mount them myself does the TPM just pick up the new Sensors or is there something I have to do? Do you think it would just be easier to let the shop do it?

I am trying to figure out the easiest adn fastest way because I want my wheels on like yesterday.

Thanks all

Bill looking forward to seeing the car when you get them on.

Tough call. Personally I would have the shop do it for fear of ruining something. I know they could ruin something too but they have all the right tools. Besides, how would you balance special wheels like those?

Good luck with whatever choice you take.

Bill looking forward to seeing the car when you get them on.

Tough call. Personally I would have the shop do it for fear of ruining something. I know they could ruin something too but they have all the right tools. Besides, how would you balance special wheels like those?

Good luck with whatever choice you take.

Your right, I am going to go that route.

Smart man. And have them fill them with Nitrogen.

What's the scoop with Nitrogen, Roger? Is it really worth it?

I'm a bit cautious about getting tied to one or two specific fill locations in my area. Compressed air I can get anywhere.

Thanks!

Yeah I think the myth busters did a report on nitrogen and found no real benefit.

Adam,

Your watching too much TV! :hysterical:

Mac,

The good ole boys of NASCAR have been doing it for years and most of the Pro Series racers. It is more stable to pressure fluctuations as it relates to temperature change. Plus no condensation inside the tire.

I have been very sceptical of this also. When I had a new set of tires mounted on my wifes Acura, recently, I went for it. They did not charge me so I said what the hey!

Taking pressures prior to her leaving for work (cold) her tires avg. 31.8 lbs. per tire. I then took pressure readings right after she returned from work. Avg. 31.69 per tire. That was on a 90+ day and her car was outside baking in the sun plus her drive home. So based on that finding I figured there is something to it.

Roger

Thank you, Roger. If Nitrogen proves to be more widely available OTR, I may explore Nitrogen myself.

True, compressed air from those 50 cent conveinence pumps produce moisture and this leads to corrosion at the beade of an aluminum wheel. But, the larger pro shops in my neighborhood have upscale compressors with dryers in line. Since I rarely log more than 20K miles on a set of tires, cleaning the beade is a simple chore when new tires are installed.

I missed this Mythbusters episode and I can not locate more 411 via a Google search. What I did find, is just another web site post from another consumer. Chancy, at best, eh?

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...30132733AAYoITV

This might be something I will look into down the road, I need to finish my drive shaft project first.

Thanks, y'all be safe.

I had Tasca add nitrogen to my tires when they mounted them. I noticed increased fuel mileage, a smoother ride and air pressure stays steady regardless of temp. I figured if it's good enough for the space shuttle and stealth bombers it's good enough for me. Tire life is supposed to be extended by up to 30% as well. For $30.00 for a lifetime fill I thought it was worth a shot.

I had Tasca add nitrogen to my tires when they mounted them. I noticed increased fuel mileage, a smoother ride and air pressure stays steady regardless of temp. I figured if it's good enough for the space shuttle and stealth bombers it's good enough for me. Tire life is supposed to be extended by up to 30% as well. For $30.00 for a lifetime fill I thought it was worth a shot.

What has to be done with the TPS's, can the tire shop take care of that or does the car automatically pick them up???

Fwiw, somewhere in the back of my mind I recall there being an activation precedure for the sensors/system ...possibly it addresses this in the owners manual? -- dunno, since I don't have one. :cry: ;-)

Don't know how I doubled that last post but anyway my used tpms sensors just picked up with no resetting. Any dealer can set new ones in about 5 minutes. Should be for free.

Roger, you should have gone to Denny's last night, a guy showed up with a new Challenger, he said it was the first in the state. Orange, cool car.

Guys the TPMS does not need any special tool or the tire shop. I had wheels off my car for four weeks. The car was sitting in the garage on jack stands with no wheels and tires. My stock TPMS sensors were sitting in a box on my work bench 15 feet away from my car. When my new wheels and tires arrived I took the TPMS sensors to the wheel shop they mounted attached them to the wheels with bands and mounted the tires. I picked up the wheels with my truck drove them home and installed them on the car. The sensors were not marked and installed randomly on the wheels. When I started the car the warning light came on. I drove around the block with my son and the warning light went out.

FWIW,

Chris

Archived