TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CS6/CS8 Hood

GT500-07

• 4 months later...

Paleoc - Great information!! I have a couple questions and a few things to say. . . .

I noticed that you had drilled out some of the holes on your fake CS Hood Grille above the waterline for heat relief under your CS6 hood. What did you have to do to get the head from under the hood to go up thru those newly drilled holes in the grille????? I like this idea, and may work on this over the winter months. . . just looking for a little more info on the process.

Also - I saw that you cut out the center portion of the hood on the underside. . . how did you go about doing that???

These are some interesting ideas to solve both problems.

I had a machine shop cut 2 1/8" thick aluminum shims that were approx 4" x 1". Drilled two holes thru them for the hood hinge bolts, and painted them flat black. I put them between the hinge and the hood and it took care of some of the clearance issues on the underside of the hood, it also resolved the mysterious way the hood seems to dip at the back edge along the body line of the fender (fenders were higher than the hood in the back) These shims lined that up perfectly!!

I also noticed that I was getting heat from under the hood being sucked into the cowl cabin vent area. . . . . It could be 50 degrees outside and my vents inside were pushing out hot air with the temp control turned all the way down to cold. . . . the fix for this? There's a rubber seal on the underside of the hood toward the back that runs the width of the hood. When you close the hood - this seal meets up with the cowl grill just in front of the venting slots preventing the heat from getting into the cabin cowl vent. I looked everywhere for something I could use. . . . I tried the big box home improvement stores, I tried hardware stores. . . . finally, I went to a custom paint & body shop and found some 1/2 circular shaped weather stripping that worked perfect for this. Sorta looks like it's "D" shapped with 3M adhesive on the flat side.

I've still got a few clearance issues that I'll need to work out for my SGT and the CS6 hood. I'm planning the jump to light speed and adding the Kenne Bell S/C to my SGT in the future. I'm sure I'll have some of these same clearance/heat issues with mine aswell.

Thank you for the information! I hope that I didn't repost some information that you CS6/CS8 folks are already well aware of. . . .

Trevor

Paleoc - Great information!! I have a couple questions and a few things to say. . . .

I noticed that you had drilled out some of the holes on your fake CS Hood Grille above the waterline for heat relief under your CS6 hood. What did you have to do to get the head from under the hood to go up thru those newly drilled holes in the grille????? I like this idea, and may work on this over the winter months. . . just looking for a little more info on the process.

When I cut out the hood scoop area, the heat flows through it and then out the holes. The hood scoop area sits to the rear of the fake grill area so the air actually has to go forward and then back out. However, there is a lot of room between the upper and lower hood pieces (about as thick as your hand) so there is little obstruction to the air flow. Get a drill bit the same size as the fake holes and make sure you hold your hand between the drill and hood to keep from scratching your paint. May want to also put a towel down as well.

Also - I saw that you cut out the center portion of the hood on the underside. . . how did you go about doing that???

These are some interesting ideas to solve both problems.

Handheld powersaw. I originally took it to a body shop and had the first half cut out, but it was still hitting on my plenum cover just farther back so I took my handheld powersaw and cut the rest out. I suggest starting with a large diameter drill at the corners to start a place to cut and then carefully powersaw between the drill holes. Finish off the rough edges with a file. Make sure you use a mask to keep the fiberglass dust out of your lungs.

I also noticed that I was getting heat from under the hood being sucked into the cowl cabin vent area. . . . . It could be 50 degrees outside and my vents inside were pushing out hot air with the temp control turned all the way down to cold. . . . the fix for this? There's a rubber seal on the underside of the hood toward the back that runs the width of the hood. When you close the hood - this seal meets up with the cowl grill just in front of the venting slots preventing the heat from getting into the cabin cowl vent. I looked everywhere for something I could use. . . . I tried the big box home improvement stores, I tried hardware stores. . . . finally, I went to a custom paint & body shop and found some 1/2 circular shaped weather stripping that worked perfect for this. Sorta looks like it's "D" shapped with 3M adhesive on the flat side.

I haven't noticed any extra heat from the vents. But that could also be due to the fact that I am venting much of the engine heat out the hood. The only extra heat I get is a small amount through the shifter area from the cats and the headers and that is really not all that much.

101_0980.jpg

101_0979.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you think they will switch to the Terlingua deep draw (Functinal) hood for this package in the future??? I would prefer that hood over the CS6 (non-functional) - I'll live with either - obviously I put the CS6 hood on my SGT - but I think that they should offer the Terlingua deep draw hood with the CS6/CS8 package.

Trevor

Do you think they will switch to the Terlingua deep draw (Functinal) hood for this package in the future??? I would prefer that hood over the CS6 (non-functional) - I'll live with either - obviously I put the CS6 hood on my SGT - but I think that they should offer the Terlingua deep draw hood with the CS6/CS8 package.

Trevor

I do not think they will change the hood in the package and from other threads here, it is possible that the Terlingua hood will not be offered as an individual item at all.

I guess I'll have to look into doing with my CS6 hood what you did with yours Paleoc.

Will all depend on what the folks down at Quantum Performance have to say when they work out the clearance issues I'm likely to have when they install the supercharger. Guess we'll see what happens. ;)

Archived