TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Hybrid Shelby GT!

I thought that would stir things up! More HP (445), 3/36 warranty, AND a lower cost. I gave the customer the choice and that's what he picked. He's VERY happy w/ the performance. I wouldn't be surprised if the Roush and the Ford racing SC were made by the same company. If it were mine I'd probably paint over the Roush name. Doesn't seem to be any different than putting non stock or non Shelby wheels on it.

I thought that would stir things up! More HP (445), 3/36 warranty, AND a lower cost. I gave the customer the choice and that's what he picked. He's VERY happy w/ the performance. I wouldn't be surprised if the Roush and the Ford racing SC were made by the same company. If it were mine I'd probably paint over the Roush name. Doesn't seem to be any different than putting non stock or non Shelby wheels on it.

Stick with me on this, it may get confusing...

Roush blowers are made by Eaton, I think that's the Eaton 112 in your pic, with a custom Roush housing. The long snout is a dead give-away.

Eaton owns Whipple. The Eaton arm is the OEM supplier to manfacturers for many factory supercharged applications. A consumer cannot buy direct from Eaton. You have to go through a reseller, such as Roush, Jackson Racing and so on. The Whipple arm of the company sells to the public, basically the same technology with just a few differences for copyright concerns.

If you want an Eaton product, you have to buy a factory supercharged automobile. If you want a PD blower kit for your 4.6L, your choices are Whipple, or, Kenne Bell.

Ford Racing sells Whipples, and the only Eaton blower they offer, comes under the Jackson Racing umbrella for the Focus 2.0L Zetec "midget" engine.

BTW...On the centrifugal side of supercharging, Vortech owns Paxton, and I've heard a rumor that Vortech has made an offer to ProCharger, but I can't verify that at this time.

As these companies continue to homoginize, it grows ever more difficult to remain brand loyal. The upside is that we (as consumers) benefit from technology development. The downside is, you may have to wear a label you normally would not. Good to have a choice, hard to make a decision.

What was the cost? Thanks.

Jim

+ 1. theres gotta be a way to get that r-word off that thing. For the right price, I may get the dremel out.

edit: seriously :barf:

hell no, that just aint right

Stick with me on this, it may get confusing...

Roush blowers are made by Eaton, I think that's the Eaton 112 in your pic, with a custom Roush housing. The long snout is a dead give-away.

Eaton owns Whipple. The Eaton arm is the OEM supplier to manfacturers for many factory supercharged applications. A consumer cannot buy direct from Eaton. You have to go through a reseller, such as Roush, Jackson Racing and so on. The Whipple arm of the company sells to the public, basically the same technology with just a few differences for copyright concerns.

If you want an Eaton product, you have to buy a factory supercharged automobile. If you want a PD blower kit for your 4.6L, your choices are Whipple, or, Kenne Bell.

Ford Racing sells Whipples, and the only Eaton blower they offer, comes under the Jackson Racing umbrella for the Focus 2.0L Zetec "midget" engine.

BTW...On the centrifugal side of supercharging, Vortech owns Paxton, and I've heard a rumor that Vortech has made an offer to ProCharger, but I can't verify that at this time.

As these companies continue to homoginize, it grows ever more difficult to remain brand loyal. The upside is that we (as consumers) benefit from technology development. The downside is, you may have to wear a label you normally would not. Good to have a choice, hard to make a decision.

Eaton owns Whipple?! That's news to me, Lulu. When did that happen?

Ford Racing sells Whipples, and the only Eaton blower they offer, comes under the Jackson Racing?! That's news to me too. FRP sells the Eaton TVS too.

:shrug: Dan

I thought they're both Whipple internals ...with FRP and Roush as the integrators/resellers for the mustang 4.6 3V kit.

Uh, I don't think so. I bought Shelby because of Shelby NOT anything about Roush. Sorry dude but you'd be a loser in my book at any car or Shelby show. Sorry-

Ok, so Mr Shelby adds his logo to a Paxton supercharger, and you or your mechanic installs it after it leaves the Shelby shop and it's some how more of a Shelby? Replace a Quadra Jet on a 327 Impala SS with a Holly and it's less of a Chevy? We buy these cars because they look good and perform great, then we tinker because we want MORE! I've heard, but I don't know for a fact, that the roots type superchargers make more power than the centrifugal, and build boost faster and at a lower RPM. Is that Paxton inter-cooled? The Roush is.

Wasn't the centrifugal charger developed to be easier to install? I find it hard to believe it can move the same volume of air at the same RPM, but I'm no expert!

Don't get me wrong I'm a BIG Shelby fan and have been ever since 1987 when I bought my GLHS. And before I get any grief for that let me remind you that the manufacturer of record is Shelby Automobiles, not Dodge. The car is titled as a Shelby, and the MSO was from Shelby. So what's more of a Shelby, the GLHS or the SGT? Many people upgraded there GLHS w/ the Getrag transmission, was it then less of a Shelby?

And lets not forget that the car can always be returned to original condition by swapping the parts back.

Don't let me catch anybody putting any Non-Shelby nitrous in their car, LOL!!

Fom the Archives!

post-15265-1214368579.jpg

post-15265-1214368579.jpg

Ok, so Mr Shelby adds his logo to a Paxton supercharger, and you or your mechanic installs it after it leaves the Shelby shop and it's some how more of a Shelby? Replace a Quadra Jet on a 327 Impala SS with a Holly and it's less of a Chevy? We buy these cars because they look good and perform great, then we tinker because we want MORE! I've heard, but I don't know for a fact, that the roots type superchargers make more power than the centrifugal, and build boost faster and at a lower RPM. Is that Paxton inter-cooled? The Roush is.

Wasn't the centrifugal charger developed to be easier to install? I find it hard to believe it can move the same volume of air at the same RPM, but I'm no expert!

Don't get me wrong I'm a BIG Shelby fan and have been ever since 1987 when I bought my GLHS. And before I get any grief for that let me remind you that the manufacturer of record is Shelby Automobiles, not Dodge. The car is titled as a Shelby, and the MSO was from Shelby. So what's more of a Shelby, the GLHS or the SGT? Many people upgraded there GLHS w/ the Getrag transmission, was it then less of a Shelby?

And lets not forget that the car can always be returned to original condition by swapping the parts back.

Don't let me catch anybody putting any Non-Shelby nitrous in their car, LOL!!

Fom the Archives!

No offense at all but I'd still rather get tromped by a GLHS in a GT350 of my own anyday....

I guess I'm missing why it's ok for me to have a Whipple on my SC or a Kenne Bell on a SC or Paxton and not ok for this guy to have Roush or some other to have Saleen. They resell superchargers just like all the others and none of them are owned or anything else by Shelby other than Shelby choose to resell the Whipple/Paxton/Kenne Bell. What's the big deal. What's wrong with Roush anyway, the guy is Ford through and through, been racing Fords forever and does nothing but top notch development and testing work. None of them have anything to do with Shelby so what's up with this whole thread. Im4Seven, You can park your car next to mine anyday.

No offense at all but I'd still rather get tromped by a GLHS in a GT350 of my own anyday....

I understand completely. I'd love to have one of my own as well. But since the values on the GLHS aren't anywhere near a GT 350, and probably never will be, you can have a lot more FUN in a GLHS. You can still get a nice one for 5k or less.

Im4Seven, You can park your car next to mine anyday.

Thanks, but it's not my car. I sold it to a guy who wanted more power after driving it for a few months. We discussed the Ford Racing 400HP blower with a 12/12 warranty if installed AFTER the car is sold, (it would have been 3/36 if purchased at the time of sale). The 500HP Ford racing Blower with NO warranty, and the Roush 445 blower w/ a 3/36 warranty. The rest is history.

Eaton owns Whipple?! That's news to me, Lulu. When did that happen?

Snipped from Whipple's web site...

"In 1991, Whipple Superchargers found a Swedish company named Opcon Autorotor. Until this time, Sprintex was the only manufacturer of the twin-screw type supercharger, but Autorotor, a sister company of the pioneering company Svenska Rotor Maskiner (SRM) had a larger variety of sizes to choose from and later generation rotor technology. By this time, the screw compressor had become commonly known as the “Whipple Charger” and quickly became a must have item for performance enthusiasts.

After Autorotor and SRM split, Whipple decided to stay with SRM and their newly formed company Lysholm Technologies. This relationship worked out very well and led to many successful twin-screw applications. With the partnership of Eaton Corporation, the Lysholm compressor made tremendous strides in dependability and performance. In 2004, the Lysholm/Eaton screw compressor was utilized on the Ford GT super car and Mercury Racing High Performance engines, a first for Lysholm"

Now this does not specifically state Eaton bought Whipple, but they do own the patent on the Lysholm technology today, a must have in order for Eaton to continue it's world wide ventures. Eaton is a very large company, 55,000 employees in 29 countries, and Eaton prospers by buying up smaller companies, taking them on as "partners", and allowing them to continue on as an independent arm of Eaton. Moreover, many internal parts of the "Whipple Charger" are Eaton designed and supplied components.

Ford Racing sells Whipples, and the only Eaton blower they offer, comes under the Jackson Racing?! That's news to me too. FRP sells the Eaton TVS too.

Yes, the TVS technology is Eaton's, but the blower is advertised as "engineered by Roush for Ford Racing", and it wears the FRP label. This blower is an upgrade to the GT 500 Eaton powered 5.4L-4V, which FRP does not specifically identify. There is a picture of the GT 500 at the top of the page, but FRP calls it the "2007-08 SVT Mustang." Why? I have no idea, must be something to do with licensing agreements.

Like I posted earlier, all this outsourcing and partnerships can be confusing to the consumer. Just because the blower in this thread says Roush shouldn't be a big deal, there is a lot more of Roush engineering in the SGT than many expect. Roush has a long history of engineering, testing and development for Ford, and I am sure Roush will continue on for a long time to come.

No mention of costs yet, but if it will save me 1K, what the blower says on top is seemingly unimportant. I'll just cover it with an STP sticker.

Nah...J/K...I favor centrifugals anyway...

Yeah i'm not into the whole "you can only put it on your car if it comes from SPP" thing. I've always liked the Roush S/C and especially the Magnacharger because they both provide warranties. I know the twin screws are more efficient, so I can't put a Saleen on either because it doesn't have the Shelby seal of approval? I'll become an outcast in the Shelby Owner's world?

I have a hood not ever seen on a Shelby. So if I use it I will be looked down upon, like a some 1960's Shelby owners look down at the new GT 500 and SGT owners? If I don't use a Shelby style wheel from SPP or American Racing, people will turn their nose up at me? Using a Saleen watts linkage is blasphemy?

Please....Give me a break. If you think this way you are a SAI/SPP marketing dream come true.

I thought it was a requirement to be a Team Shelby member? :tease:

Nah...You got that all wrong, dude. The only requirement upon you to be a Team Shelby member in good standing, is...

Post new ideas and concepts for accessories for your Shelby ownership and demand (via polls and mustering support from other TS members) that SAI provide these accessories ASAP, and then don't buy them.

TS membership requirements may also be satisfied by being openly critical of the cost of a Shelby special event and begging for lower/special pricing for you alone, and then not registering for, or, attending the event.

OTOH...Just posting condenscending notes to Amy B. as if she was your little sister may earn you a lifetime membership...

J/K folks...Drive on.

Archived