TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone here into Guns?????????????????

Ooooh-RAH!

Sniper rifles? Now I know I want to be your bestest buddy! I definitely want to see those pictures. The rifle that I used as a police sniper was totally custom made based on a Mauser 98 action, (at that time, Remington 700 actions were hard to come by). The guys used to give me crap because of the long barrel - saying that all I had to do was reach out and smack the suspect on the top of the head with the end of the barrel - but the dang thing tightly key-holed three shot groups at 100 yards with cheap, Black Hills, (at least it was cheap in 1992), 150 grains. I had it set up for optimum weight of bullets of 168 grain HP Federal Match Grade ammo. The trigger pull was set at 1 pound, (couldn't get a double set trigger for the 98). My scope was a Redfield police sniper scope.

Holy cow man! How old are you? :blink: the M700 came out in 1962! :lol:

Can't hardly beat a 98, I've got 37ea M107 sniper rifles (really).

Where are you in TN? I just bought a lot on lake Barkely in Dover

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe he was a DEA agent. He sued the DEA after this film made the you tube circuit claiming that he had been ridiculed by his own agency and that they had released the film. I do not know if he was awarded any monies or not.

WOW what a slug, how in the Sam h**L can anyone do something THAT (for lack of a better term) stupid and then sue the DEA? If he had any self respect he would either laugh with them or quit and disappear for awhile. I realize it was an accident but what does he expect?........Some peoples children. :nonono:

Holy cow man! How old are you? :blink: the M700 came out in 1962! :lol:

Can't hardly beat a 98, I've got 37ea M107 sniper rifles (really).

Where are you in TN? I just bought a lot on lake Barkely in Dover

:hysterical:

As I stated before, in 1990 the 700 actions were in short supply. In other words, they were very expensive on a cop's salary of $24k per year. The department didn't pay for our weapons. If I had more disposable income I would have gotten the H&K PSG1. The 98 is a very strong and proven action, but you sure had to train yourself to not short stroke it when you're in a hurry. If I could have used a 700 action I sure would have. Even as it was, the weapon still drove tacks.

I live in La Vergne which is Southeast of Nashville.

Hey all you GUN Owners. Check out what R Elect President wants to do in the near future. I think Obama does have a highER Calling.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/obama_s...omo_code=70E5-1

Why didn't we ALL know this before he was elected

Or did we.

That was mentioned in another thread.

I got my Crimson Trace LASER sights and SmartCarry holster for my S&W M&P 9mm sub-compact yesterday. Both are pretty cool. The type of grip inserts the M&P uses holds the LASER very well, (how well will be determined at the range). It's a relief for me because my bifocals are such that I cannot focus on either front or rear sights. If you haven't seen the SmartCarry, it's pretty darned comfortable for concealed carry.

Quantum of Solace, and Bond is back! And he is retro, going back to the old Walther PPK rather than the Walther P 99. Unknown the caliber but he used to use 7.65 rather than the mistaken 9 x 17. So Bond is retro!

I always did love the Walther PP in 9 x 17. Exceptionally accurate, due at least in part to a fixed barrel and straight blow back design. But exceptionally accurate even with point shooting.

I ran into this video clip. Some of you have no doubt seen it. It shows a lady explaining the Second Amendment to members of the U.S. Senate. It is at the very end of the clip that she points out what the Second Amendment is all about. But the entire clip is pretty powerful because, as she says, "I have been there."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...893819675&p

Jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWS RELEASE

HOLDER NOMINATION SIGNALS OBAMA'S TRUE ANTI-GUN RIGHTS AGENDA

BELLEVUE, WA - The nomination of Eric Holder for the post of attorney general of the United States sends an "alarming signal" to gun owners about how the B arack Obama administration will view individual gun rights, as affirmed this year by the Supreme Court, the Second Amendment Foundation said today.

"Eric Holder signed an amicus brief in the Heller case that supported the District of Columbia's handgun ban, and also argued that the Second Amendment does not protect an individual right," noted SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. "He has supported national handgun licensing and mandatory trigger locks. As deputy attorney general under Janet Reno, he lobbied Congress to pass legislation that would have curtailed legitimate gun shows.

"This is not the record of a man who will come to office as the nation's top law enforcement officer with the rights and concerns of gun owners in mind," he observed.

Holder's nomination, like the appointment of anti-gun Illinois Congressman Rahm Emanuel as White House Chief of Staff, tells American gun owners that Obama's campa ign claims supporting the Second Amendment were "empty rhetoric," Gottlieb stated.

"America's 85 million gun owners have ample reason to be pessimistic about how their civil rights will fare under the Obama administration,"

Gottlieb said. "Mr. Obama will have a Congress with an anti-gun Democrat majority leadership to push his gun control agenda. Gun owners have not forgotten Mr. Obama's acknowledged opposition to concealed carry rights, nor his support for a ban on handgun ownership when he was running for the Illinois state senate.

"Barack Obama vigorously portrayed himself on the campaign trail as a man who supports gun ownership," Gottlieb concluded, "but now that he has won the election, he is surrounding himself with people who are avowed gun prohibitionists. What better indication of what to expect from Barack Obama as president than the people he is selecting to lead his administration? Th is isn't a roster of devoted public servants. It's a rogue's gallery of extremists who have labored to erase the Second Amendment from the Bill of Rights."

I ran into this video clip. Some of you have no doubt seen it. It shows a lady explaining the Second Amendment to members of the U.S. Senate. It is at the very end of the clip that she points out what the Second Amendment is all about. But the entire clip is pretty powerful because, as she says, "I have been there."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...893819675&p

Jim

+1, great find JIm.

• 3 months later...

Why I Carry a Gun

My old grandpa once said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an butt whoopin'.

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because, unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

"Police Protection" is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an butt whoopin'."

....author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 FPS

Why I Carry a Gun

My old grandpa once said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an butt whoopin'.

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because, unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

"Police Protection" is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an butt whoopin'."

....author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 FPS

Words of Wisdom for sure. Thanks for sharing this.

KC666

I have a gun at home under my bed. It's a 38 police revolver. I keep it loaded and I know how to use it. However I keep it in a lock box that has a quick push button combination. It would take me about 30 seconds to get the gun if I needed it.

Once my kid is grown and out of the house....I can keep the box unlocked.

Did someone mention 98 Mauser's earlier in the thread? Here's a few of my 98's my dad and i built thru the years. He is 82 years old and a retired gunsmith. He did gun repair and built hunting rifles. He loved building hunting rifles from 98 actions. Kind of rubbed off on me also.

Pics aren't the best.

8mm 06 Ackley imp.

13813.jpg

35 Whelen Ackley imp.

100_1208.jpg

257 Roberts

100_1206.jpg

30/06

100_1199.jpg

8mm

100_1202.jpg

22-250

100_1197.jpg

220 Wilson Arrow

100_0946.jpg

I have a gun at home under my bed. It's a 38 police revolver. I keep it loaded and I know how to use it. However I keep it in a lock box that has a quick push button combination. It would take me about 30 seconds to get the gun if I needed it.

Even after the kid is gone you probably won't be able to leave it unlocked. GRANDCHILDREN!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Grabber @ Mar 10 2009, 11:24 AM)

QUOTE(69dejavue)

Even after the kid is gone you probably won't be able to leave it unlocked. GRANDCHILDREN!!!!!!!

I finally convinced my wife to let me take my kids (8 & 12) to the range. I haven't done it yet and don't plan to until they are done with school in the summer. I truely believe that teaching kids gun safety and impressing upon them the implications of playing around with a weapon is much better than hiding or locking one up(not to mention that if they need it when you are not around, they know where it is and how to use it). Teaching them how to respect what a weapon is capable of is no different than teaching them how to operate a motor vehicle and understand the implications of being careless while operating one. OK, my little rant is done.

On another note, anyone know where I can find a new Kimber Ultra Carry II w/night sights and LG's? I've been looking for weeks. Thanks.

I finally convinced my wife to let me take my kids (8 & 12) to the range. I haven't done it yet and don't plan to until they are done with school in the summer. I truely believe that teaching kids gun safety and impressing upon them the implications of playing around with a weapon is much better than hiding or locking one up(not to mention that if they need it when you are not around, they know where it is and how to use it). Teaching them how to respect what a weapon is capable of is no different than teaching them how to operate a motor vehicle and understand the implications of being careless while operating one. OK, my little rant is done.

Once you take away the curiosity of how guns work and what they do, the kids don't want to play with them. I have enough yard that I have a bit of a gun range. When I shoot and the grandson is there, my wife and I put earplugs on him and she or I (depending on who is shooting) stands with him explaining about the gun. He has no desire to shoot it or play with them since there is no longer any curiosity about them - as it was when I grew up, my mother when she grew up and so on. We have always been an openly "gun" family and never have had an incident. It's amazing what education and training can accomplish.

With that being said though I still do not leave them within his reach. All my guns are either secured, locked or placed high enough (about 6') so he can not reach them but the adults can get to them in a need-to situation if necessary because after all, he is still a child and children are not know for their reasoning abilities.

Having said all that, I can't wait until he gets old enough to take him to the range but that is still some time away.

Once you take away the curiosity of how guns work and what they do, the kids don't want to play with them. I have enough yard that I have a bit of a gun range. When I shoot and the grandson is there, my wife and I put earplugs on him and she or I (depending on who is shooting) stands with him explaining about the gun. He has no desire to shoot it or play with them since there is no longer any curiosity about them - as it was when I grew up, my mother when she grew up and so on. We have always been an openly "gun" family and never have had an incident. It's amazing what education and training can accomplish.

With that being said though I still do not leave them within his reach. All my guns are either secured, locked or placed high enough (about 6') so he can not reach them but the adults can get to them in a need-to situation if necessary because after all, he is still a child and children are not know for their reasoning abilities.

Having said all that, I can't wait until he gets old enough to take him to the range but that is still some time away.

I agree 100%, I grew up with cops in the family and there were always guns in the house.

We were taught young how to handle them and eventually how to shoot them.

Every exposure was a lesson. Every lesson one that stuck with me.

When my kids were in the age range of 5 to 9, I took them out to shoot. I took various cans of soup and soda and did a bit of a demonstration first. I told them to pick up the biggest rock they could handle, and hit a can with the rock as hard as they could. Afterwards, I had them inspect the damage the rock did to the can, and asked them how badly they'd have been hurt if they were hit with the rock that hard. I then showed them the weight and size difference of a 40 caliber bullet to their rock. I then shot another can with the 40 caliber. It was fun to see the look on their faces when they saw the can come un-glued from the bullet strike. I then asked them how badly it would hurt them if they were struck the same way with a bullet, and the responses were appropriate. I then proceeded to teach them how to safely shoot my Ruger 10/22 until they got bored.

Although I trusted my kids to safely handle a weapon my trust was misplaced. Years later, my teenage, (and yet-to-be-diagnosed as bipolar), daughter got in an argument with my son. She got my loaded, (and I thought well-hidden), .380 from the closet to "threaten" my son. In the process she shot our bathroom floor "accidentally." We were fortunate that all we suffered was a hole in the floor.

I learned that you can’t trust anyone no matter what. I sold that weapon immediately following this incident, and have not owned another until recently. Today, I keep my weapons on an electronic gun safe mounted into the permanent dresser in our walk-in closet and the wall. I still trust no one to have free access to my guns.

When I was about 20, a friend of mine came home to his apartment from his armed security job. He took his gun belt off and laid it on the coffee table. His girlfriend, a friend of his that we'll call Bob, (who was just an acquaintance of mine), and Bob's girlfriend came over because they were going to go out on a double date. Bob sat down on the couch, took the .357 out of its holster, and then said, "Hey! Look everybody!". He then proceeded to put the barrel to his head and pull the trigger.

They believe that Bob didn't think that the gun was loaded - although normal people wouldn't think a gun in a holster was unloaded, but Bob wasn't too damn brite. As if watching a friend blow his brains out in front of you wasn't enough for my friend, the police and the prosecutor's office made his life a living hell for well over a year with threats of charges againt him until a new prosecutor came in and dropped the matter.

When I was about 20, a friend of mine came home to his apartment from his armed security job. He took his gun belt off and laid it on the coffee table. His girlfriend, a friend of his that we'll call Bob, (who was just an acquaintance of mine), and Bob's girlfriend came over because they were going to go out on a double date. Bob sat down on the couch, took the .357 out of its holster, and then said, "Hey! Look everybody!". He then proceeded to put the barrel to his head and pull the trigger.

They believe that Bob didn't think that the gun was loaded - although normal people wouldn't think a gun in a holster was unloaded, but Bob wasn't too damn brite. As if watching a friend blow his brains out in front of you wasn't enough for my friend, the police and the prosecutor's office made his life a living hell for well over a year with threats of charges againt him until a new prosecutor came in and dropped the matter.

:o

What exactly were they threatening to charge him with?

:o

What exactly were they threatening to charge him with?

Anything and everything they could reason that could have happened. Remember, they were threatening a 20 year old kid from the suburbs of Kansas City, MO. When both of us later became police officers we discovered that they pretty much so had nothing to charge him with according to the Revised Statutes of The State of Missouri. They just wanted to make his life more miserable then it already was.

Pulled this from one of the DFW Jeep forums I freqent. This was posted 3-12-09.

So, this past weekend we had a garage sale. I had a Harley Barbie for sale for $35. It did not sell. So last night at 9:15 the dogs start barking we where in bed reading stories to Dominick. Someone was banging at our back door. Kristine and the baby went to see who it was and she came back down the hall whispering it two Mexican guys and there not your friends. So I grab a personal home protecting device and run to the back door. They said they want to come in and buy the Barbie that was for sell at the garage sell. I did not open the door even with my HPD gripped firmly in my hands. I told them they would have to come back today because I put it away in the attic, which I really didn't. It was sitting on my desk. They said no there daughter wanted it now. I told them to slide the cash down our mail box (it comes in the house) and I would go up in the attic, get the doll and give it to them. What I was gonna do was if cash came in I would slip the Barbie out the door they weren't at. They said no. I said come back today. He asked what time and I told him any time after 3pm. They said OK we will come back tomorrow at 3. As of now, 6PM no one has showed up for the doll.

I agree 100%, I grew up with cops in the family and there were always guns in the house.

We were taught young how to handle them and eventually how to shoot them.

Every exposure was a lesson. Every lesson one that stuck with me.

I'm a cops kid too. Dad's gun was always on his dresser loaded. It worked for him.

It worked for you.

I do things different. The gun stays locked up as long as there are kids here in my house PERIOD.

It is a personal decision that every gun-owning, parent must make. My kids understand what a gun can do to a person (use a .45 and a watermelon to make a great demonstration). My pistol is in a lock box. My shotgun is not because we have had three break-ins in my neighborhood in the last month.

Remember, you not only have to think about your kids, but their friends as well. I can't be upstairs in my room all the time so their are times my son (and/or his friends) could be snooping around and find a gun. My son knows better, but his friends??? Who knows for sure?

I am in the camp that if you have a gun, everyone in the house (age appropriate) should understand what it does and how it works.

Archived