TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone here into Guns?????????????????

I have decided to sell one of my Guns. It is a Smith & Wesson 9mm Pistol, Model SW9VE. It comes with Two 15 Shot Clips. I have owned it about 2 Years now and Bought it used. I personally have only sent about 100 Bullits through it. I am sure it could use a cleaning as it has been stored for about a Year. $400.00 Firm.

David.

Just SOLD it to a Friend

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would have to be shipped through a Licensed Gun Dealer in the sending state to a Licensed Gun Dealer in the receiving state. The communist states have bans on handguns so be careful.

I thought as long as it was Shipped UPS or Fed Ex like the do Shot Guns it was OK?????? Did things change? WOW, who did that? If that is the Case then I wont sell it to anyone outside a 25 Mile radious of Tallahassee.

David.

I am almost positive that to transfer ownership/sell private party, a firearm, you have to do the transaction and registration change through a licensed firearm dealer. I know here in California, when I sold my HK USP .40 to my girlfriend's father, Fowler's Gun Room was required by law to hold onto the firearm for 10 days, and my girlfriend's father was charged a few fees for the registration change and such. It was a royal pain in the ass.

As for your rifle question:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory28.php

Outstanding rifle, hands down. I have fired one once, and it only took once. Dead accurate, even the iron sights are great to use, the expansion using the rails is great, and recoil is minimal. You can fit a multitude of attachments to it, such as a surefire weapon light, bipod, scope, red dot or fiber optic sight, night vision sight, you name it they have it pretty much.

I am almost positive that to transfer ownership/sell private party, a firearm, you have to do the transaction and registration change through a licensed firearm dealer. I know here in California, when I sold my HK USP .40 to my girlfriend's father, Fowler's Gun Room was required by law to hold onto the firearm for 10 days, and my girlfriend's father was charged a few fees for the registration change and such. It was a royal pain in the ass.

Outstanding rifle, hands down. I have fired one once, and it only took once. Dead accurate, even the iron sights are great to use, the expansion using the rails is great, and recoil is minimal. You can fit a multitude of attachments to it, such as a surefire weapon light, bipod, scope, red dot or fiber optic sight, night vision sight, you name it they have it pretty much.

Thanks for the Info. I like that Gun, I will have to save up for it.

David.

"I am almost positive that to transfer ownership/sell private party, a firearm, you have to do the transaction and registration change through a licensed firearm dealer. I know here in California, when I sold my HK USP .40 to my girlfriend's father, Fowler's Gun Room was required by law to hold onto the firearm for 10 days, and my girlfriend's father was charged a few fees for the registration change and such. It was a royal pain in the ass. "

Yep! Just went thru it!

I had posted it on a Local Forum (these guys are into Guns alot) and they were saying how it sells NEW for $330.00 to $350.00. I thought that they Banned the production of 15 Shot Pistols about 5 Years ago............................... When did that change?

(Pre Banned Guns are still Legal)

David.

My brother has that same 9mm,the trigger pull is a bit too long and heavy but other than that it is a very good gun overall,if someone can change that trigger pull it would be awesome,you might like it even more,go to a nearby gunsmith...as for selling it,try http://www.forthehunt.com/...there you can auction it off but you can sell it to whomever you want as long as it goes to a lisc. dealer first and if the person buying it has a concealed weapons lisc. they do not have to wait here in FL...that's why I got one, I never like to wait :hysterical: ....Just picked up one of Glock's new .45 GAP...like it alot but not for concealment though...I'm looking to buy a .45 ACP 911 style soon...hey maybe the gun show may be comming near you, it's called http://southernclassicgun.com/....good luck!!!! It's easier to get rid of it at the gun show.....

I had posted it on a Local Forum (these guys are into Guns alot) and they were saying how it sells NEW for $330.00 to $350.00. I thought that they Banned the production of 15 Shot Pistols about 5 Years ago............................... When did that change?

(Pre Banned Guns are still Legal)

David.

High capacity magazines are not legal in all states. Capacity here in California is limited to 10 rounds, though as a LEO I am allowed to own and carry higher capacity.

If you are seriously considering that rifle, my suggestion to you would be to go to your local rifle range, and inquire about renting one to use at their range. Test it out, and see how you like it. It IS a bit heavy, but it helps a LOT with dampening muzzle climb from that big ass .308 round....it really lets the rifle settle back down. At 100 yards with the iron sights I was pulling extremely tight groups from a free standing position. I am planning on purchasing one as well later down the road, but unfortunately there is no real quality rifle range near me anymore, as the one up in San Gabriel, which was my favorite, closed. I shot this rifle up in Walla Walla, WA at a small town rifle range, so I have been teased by it ever since!

I thought as long as it was Shipped UPS or Fed Ex like the do Shot Guns it was OK?????? Did things change? WOW, who did that? If that is the Case then I wont sell it to anyone outside a 25 Mile radious of Tallahassee.

David.

You absolutely cannot ship it via UPS or FEDX unless use a licensed firearm dealer. Some states allow direct private sales but they are hand to hand. Every state has there own laws.

Go to the NRA website, there may be some information there, check with own states Attorney General or Police websites.

Failure to follow firearms laws can result in some pretty serious felonies.

Yes, you can advertise on the internet. Yes, you can send the pistol via UPS. Whoever wants to buy the pistol will have to mail or fax you a signed copy of the FFL (Federal Firearms License) that they want the pistol sent to. Once you have the FFL in hand, you need to package the pistol and then take it down to a UPS distribution center (the UPS Stores are not allowed to take posession of a firearm...they can tell you where the closest UPS distribution center is). Pistols are required by Federal Law to go by overnight delivery. What does this mean? It is expensive, so you need to take this into account in your pricing of the pistol. You want $400 firm? Well, it will probably be another $100+ for overnight shipping with insurance. So you may need to adjust your pricing accordingly otherwise someone may not want to buy a used pistol when they could buy a new one for the price it will cost them for a used one when you add the shipping charge. Shipping the pistol is the easy part, finding an interested party will be the hard part. People will want a good deal (just like buying a car) so it may be easier to sell it locally since you won't have to factor in shipping. Even if you sell the pistol locally, it's still a good idea to use a local FFL dealer to handle the transfer...that way if someone down the road decides to use the firearm in an illegal manner, it won't come back on you. I have sold numerous firearms, it's not that hard just remember to always follow the law.

Why are you interested in a "long range rifle"? Do I need to steer clear of FL for awhile? :hysterical: If you want, PM me and tell me what you are looking to use this rifle for. I can steer you in the right direction as far as rifles go.

Oh yeah, the AWB (Assault Weapon Ban) went out of effect a couple of years ago...so yes you can buy high capacity magazines for pistols again (unless you live in the anti-gun states like CA). So even if your pistol is a Pre-Ban weapon, it really doesn't effect the value anymore since you can buy new pistols with high capacity magazines.

Yes, you can advertise on the internet. Yes, you can send the pistol via UPS. Whoever wants to buy the pistol will have to mail or fax you a signed copy of the FFL (Federal Firearms License) that they want the pistol sent to. Once you have the FFL in hand, you need to package the pistol and then take it down to a UPS distribution center (the UPS Stores are not allowed to take posession of a firearm...they can tell you where the closest UPS distribution center is). Pistols are required by Federal Law to go by overnight delivery. What does this mean? It is expensive, so you need to take this into account in your pricing of the pistol. You want $400 firm? Well, it will probably be another $100+ for overnight shipping with insurance. So you may need to adjust your pricing accordingly otherwise someone may not want to buy a used pistol when they could buy a new one for the price it will cost them for a used one when you add the shipping charge. Shipping the pistol is the easy part, finding an interested party will be the hard part. People will want a good deal (just like buying a car) so it may be easier to sell it locally since you won't have to factor in shipping. Even if you sell the pistol locally, it's still a good idea to use a local FFL dealer to handle the transfer...that way if someone down the road decides to use the firearm in an illegal manner, it won't come back on you. I have sold numerous firearms, it's not that hard just remember to always follow the law.

Why are you interested in a "long range rifle"? Do I need to steer clear of FL for awhile? :hysterical: If you want, PM me and tell me what you are looking to use this rifle for. I can steer you in the right direction as far as rifles go.

Oh yeah, the AWB (Assault Weapon Ban) went out of effect a couple of years ago...so yes you can buy high capacity magazines for pistols again (unless you live in the anti-gun states like CA). So even if your pistol is a Pre-Ban weapon, it really doesn't effect the value anymore since you can buy new pistols with high capacity magazines.

Thanks for the Info......................... The Riffle is for Target Shooting.

David.

Thanks for the Info......................... The Riffle is for Target Shooting.

David.

Lot's of different styles of target shooting=lot's of different styles of rifles to buy. If this is just for fun and you are not sure if you will make this a full time hobby, I suggest a bolt action rifle. It's an expensive hobby...in fact I have taken a break from it so I can spend my money on the car for now. :happy feet: I have lot's of contacts depending on your interests. Let me know.

Lot's of different styles of target shooting=lot's of different styles of rifles to buy. If this is just for fun and you are not sure if you will make this a full time hobby, I suggest a bolt action rifle. It's an expensive hobby...in fact I have taken a break from it so I can spend my money on the car for now. :happy feet: I have lot's of contacts depending on your interests. Let me know.

Agreed, a bolt action rifle would be a good starter for you. I only suggested the SOCOM II due to my money burning a hole in my pocket, yearning for me to buy it....but I told it, "Hell no, I am buying exhaust with you!" and it shut up promptly. Meanwhile, I would look at the Savage line of rifles, they are great. Also, for a cheap but great rifle that you can actually restore as well, I would check your local Big 5 Sporting Goods and see if they have any of the Mosin Nagant rifles on sale. I see them at least every other month for $89.00, but keep in mind the stocks are a little banged up, but otherwise the rifles operate great. I have a buddy at work who restores these as a hobby and sells them, so if you decide to go this route let me know, he has tons of things that can be done to this rifle, and every step you need to fix the stock of dings and such. Good stuff.

When did CA change the law that you have to sell through a licensed dealer?

One of the things I liked when I was there was going to the gun shows.

The one thing I use to laugh about was everyone can walk in with all the guns and amo they wanted and they could walk up and buy anything they wanted and walk out with it. But when you entered you had to open the chambers and barrels to show they were not loaded as you entered. But once you walked in anyone that wanted to could have loaded up their guns! LOL

I use to buy a LOT of guns from those shows.

We use to go out to the desert to shoot. Are you still allowed to do that? Or did they outlaw that as well?

Illinois always seemed to have a pretty good system. In order to buy any firearms you had to first obtain a gun card. You had to fill out the form, that got sent to the State police which they run a back ground check. Then once you checked out OK and you are not a felon with a record, you got your gun card.

You could sell to anyone in the State privately BUT you had to verify they have a current gun card or you could not leagly sell to them. The gun card expires every 5 years and has to be renewed again.

If you ever sold your gun you are required to keep records of who you sold it to. In the event the gun you owned ever was involved in a crime and you fail to produce records of who you sold it to then you could be held liable for the crime involved the same as if you committed it! Very strict laws on that.

When you buy a gun here there is a 3 day wait before you can take possession. Whether through a licensed dealer or buying or selling it privately.

Whether any of these laws have changed recently I don't know. It has been a number of years since I last purchased one.

You know, I keep hearing guns kill but I keep a 9mm beside my bed about a foot from my head and it hasn't done anything yet. I guess it likes me. :lol:

I'm thinking HARD about a Compensated Glock 32-C (.357 sig) a guy is selling in the DFW area. Anyone have any experience with that type of pistol?

You know, I keep hearing guns kill but I keep a 9mm beside my bed about a foot from my head and it hasn't done anything yet. I guess it likes me. :lol:

I'm thinking HARD about a Compensated Glock 32-C (.357 sig) a guy is selling in the DFW area. Anyone have any experience with that type of pistol?

Guns don't kill. People kill! And you don't need a gun to kill someone.

That is our government just wanting to take our guns away from us so they don't ever have to worry about the people wising up one day against them and saying enough is enough! If they take away our guns they won't ever have to worry about it.

My dear God there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

1) S&W has been running offers through most retailers (especially bigger ones like Gander Mountain) selling those Sigmas for $250-$300.

2) You absolutely CAN ship guns through UPS and FedEx.. how else do you think they get shipped???

3) In order to do so a private party sale must be transacted through a licensed FFL holder. Owner/seller must ship TO the FFL holder, and the buyer must then retrieve it from the FFL holder by legally filling out the required forms just as if he/she were purchasing from that dealer.

When you ship your own gun to anyone... as long as the OWNERSHIP is not being transferred (such as in sending it to factory for repairs, or sending it to gunsmith for customization) you do NOT need to involve a FFL holder and pay their fees because you are shipping TO an FFL (manufacturer or gunsmith) and they are shipping back to the owner (you).

4) I won't even get into the whole "clip" and "magazine" thing....

:finger:

if you want a great long range target rifle check out the howa axiom and or the ruger target rifle, both are great heavy barrel rifles, i have the ruger in 243 that i shoot pdogs out to 750 yard with and it is easy rifle to shoot

This thread reminds me to mention that the Supreme Court is expected to hand down a decision this week or next(?) in a landmark 2nd Amendment case (challenge to D.C. local gun ban).

Could be any day this week.

Stay tuned!

:mail:

Archived