TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone here into Guns?????????????????

Before I answer your question, I want to mention something that's been talked about in this thread. The thing that houses the cartridges for your handguns are NOT called "Clips". They're called "Magazines". Ok, I feel better now.........

To answer your question. You asked if "I" had only one choice of handgun, what would it be. My choice would be a Sig Sauer P-229 in .40.

Factors to consider:

Stopping power: The .40 round is a street proven round. I like it much better than the 9mm for personal protection.

Ease of use for Amateur: The Sig P-229 is well balanced and doesn't bite hard for the "recoil shy" shooters. It can be had in several trigger handling choices. DA/SA, DAO to fit your needs.

It also doesn't have any external safeties to fumble with under stress. The newer models come with a light rail and one can even go as far as equipping their pistol with a red dot laser pointer.

Ammo Availability: The .40 round can be found at most Walmarts, Dicks, Sports Authority, Gander, and privately owned gun stores.

I've been CCW'ing a Sig Sauer P-239 in .40 since 1997. That pistol is only a 7+1 sub-compact single stack pistol. It carries well and fires even better. I have standard sights on it and it's in the SA/DA configuration.

As you can see, i'm a fan of the Sig Sauer line. I currently own (4) Sig pistols.

I didn't go to the front of this thread but I'm a fan of Sig. I have the P6, P228, and an X5. All very sexy and deadly accurate. I cannot fathom one gun ownership.

Mike

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't go to the front of this thread but I'm a fan of Sig. I have the P6, P228, and an X5. All very sexy and deadly. I cannot fathom one gun ownership.

Mike

When my trunk lid is open, you will see that cool Sig sticker that says, "To hell and back reliability."

Jim

When my trunk lid is open, you will see that cool Sig sticker that says, "To hell and back reliability."

Jim

I saw a no like symbol flash as I uploaded a pic of the twins. I used to carry a SS/s (Stainless steel suppressed) MK2 & Nickel P228. Great combo ; )

Mike

PS does this sight not like firearms pics?

I emailed you the question for concealed carry or home only, but as far as the 9mm vs .45 debate it's like Chevy vs Ford. People get locked on an idea and stick to it. Today's modern bullets make them expand about the same, but NOTHING is more important than shot placement. Until you answer the first question there's no point going further.

I've decided. The cost was acceptable for what it does.

G5 p7.jpg

Mike

Steve,

It's not like you to sugar coat things. How do you really feel about the P220? :hysterical:

Jim

:hysterical2:

It just shows how people's tastes are different. The P220 was my first duty weapon on the police department. We bought our own weapons, and I bought it on the recommendation of the police chief who knew I liked 1911's, but he didn't allow single action weapons. Back then I could shoot out the X-ring with a 1911, but I was horrible with the P220. That switch in trigger pull just screwed with me too much. I sold it and got a Glock 22. It was alright, but I still was not as accurate as with the 1911. I used to tell people that they were far safer 25 yards in front of me with a pistol in my hands than they were 500 yards in front of me with a rifle in my hands.

:hysterical2:

It just shows how people's tastes are different. The P220 was my first duty weapon on the police department. We bought our own weapons, and I bought it on the recommendation of the police chief who knew I liked 1911's, but he didn't allow single action weapons. Back then I could shoot out the X-ring with a 1911, but I was horrible with the P220. That switch in trigger pull just screwed with me too much. I sold it and got a Glock 22. It was alright, but I still was not as accurate as with the 1911. I used to tell people that they were far safer 25 yards in front of me with a pistol in my hands than they were 500 yards in front of me with a rifle in my hands.

I was also forced to go to a M11/p228 from a 1911. It was that or a Beretta and I hate Berettas. I "learned" to get along with the Sig family and now have a comp gun that is top notch. My preferance for single action has married me to the X5,P7,and Glock 21. I routinely swapped my M11 for a pair of factory tuned G21s. One was suppressed and the other compensated and ported. The accuracy of a barrel select/ trig job G21 was as good if not better that my issued 1911s. 15+1 and low weight were a nice bonus.

For me, been there done that, so I understand individual likes of just about every hand held weapon. Can't forget about the J S&Ws : )G8 S&W.jpg

Mike

Michael,

I caught the tail end of this thread so I'm a little late with my opinion, which like everyone else's, is worth about what you're paying for it....hysterical.gif

You said you wanted to PROTECT your home; then throw cost out the window. Buy the best gun that you can handle. You may only use it once, but it better be ready to go. Kinda' like putting cheap brakes on a Shelby.

Along with buying the best gun you can handle, buy the biggest caliber you're comfortable shooting. This also goes back to the practice, practice, practice. You better be comfortable using the gun and know how it's going to shoot and respond when you pull the trigger. If you're comfortable with a .45, get one. You won't have to worry about hitting your neighbor if you miss with one of your shots, which is a problem with high velocity, smaller caliber rounds.

Since you're not interested in CC, make sure the gun feels good in your hand, feels comfortable to shoot and using it feels GOOD; second nature.

John

Steve,

It's not like you to sugar coat things. How do you really feel about the P220? hysterical.gif

Jim

Jim,

Hmmm...I found the 220 to be one of the most accurate .45's right out of the box I had ever shot. I loved that gun, especially the DA/SA feature.

To each his own, I guess. headscratch.gif

John

Remington 870 12ga with a 18" barrel, pistol grip or syn. stock your choice, 3 inch mag no. 6 shot 1 5/8 oz. This way you don't have to worry about hitting people in other rooms or outside when the lead starts to fly!

Remington 870 12ga with a 18" barrel, pistol grip or syn. stock your choice, 3 inch mag no. 6 shot 1 5/8 oz. This way you don't have to worry about hitting people in other rooms or outside when the lead starts to fly!

I agree...but I prefer double ought and I like to keep a slug chambered. I can dump the slug quickly if I don't want it. Again, just personal preference. And the 870 is a great worry free gun.

John

I agree...but I prefer double ought and I like to keep a slug chambered. I can dump the slug quickly if I don't want it. Again, just personal preference. And the 870 is a great worry free gun.

John

And a barrel swap bird gun ; ) I used a 12ga rnd called bird bomb from Active. Great for crows on the farm and dispersion of other. 70 yrd+, delayed, and M80 decibel.

Mike

OK, there are some very gun knowledgible people here on this thread....

here is my question....

If you could have only ONE gun to protect your home (handgun), what would it be?

Factors to consider.......stopping power, ease of use for middle of the road user (not a novice, not an expert)

availibility of ammo, overall cost.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

I was thinking an M&P 9MM........what do you think?

A judge, hands down. :yup:

It's compatible with different ammo too. :)< Click Here - Taurus Judge >

Judge.jpg

^ I need one of those signs.

Home Defense is like this:

1 - German Shepherd, protection trained

1- French Mastiff, not trained. People just get knocked down and she puts her face in theirs until a family member pulls her off. She's 110lbs.

1 - HK 9mm. Fit's my wife's hand perfectly.

1 - Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag

1 - Desert Eagle .40

Assorted Semi-Auto rifles taking NATO rounds. Ammo. I buy it by the case.

WTB: lots.

^ I need one of those signs.

Home Defense is like this:

1 - German Shepherd, protection trained

1- French Mastiff, not trained. People just get knocked down and she puts her face in theirs until a family member pulls her off. She's 110lbs.

1 - HK 9mm. Fit's my wife's hand perfectly.

1 - Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag

1 - Desert Eagle .40

Assorted Semi-Auto rifles taking NATO rounds. Ammo. I buy it by the case.

WTB: lots.

What long range rifle you plan to use when the zombies come?....lol

Here's my "Zombie" home defense.

- Dog. Warns me that they're coming

- AR-15 at the ready for long head shots to keep them at bay.

- Home alarm. Alerts me when the perimeter has been breached.

- Shotgun for room clearing.

- Sig 229 in .40 for close quarter fighting.

- Knife for close quarter hand to hand combat.

- Baseball bat for head shots.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody buy a GSG-5 SD? The fake can was just declared an NFA violation. That was after it was approved for sale to the public. Anyone in possesion of this firearm is instructed to turn the can in to be replaced with a "legal" version.

Just keeping you informed. Any ?s, look at ATIs web site.

HK spread 2.jpg

PS The GSG-5 is a 22LR that looks like an MP5.

HK spread 2.jpg

I've been working on getting a permit in Connecticut since last summer. This liberal state is just awful.

My younger brother recently bought an H&K P2000 SK .40 and said he was having a terrible time getting ammo for it, even the crappy stuff. So what does a good older brother do?

I open up the safe and give him 1,000 rounds to take home and become proficient with of course. :hysterical:

Dan

• 1 month later...

My gun collection: Wife's Ruger LCP- Sig P229 .40 cal w/night sights-Glock 23 w/Trijicon night sights and Surefire X200-Glock 19 w/Trijicon nights sights and Streamlight TLR1 light-Glock 26-Glock 34 w/Trijicon nights sights and TLR1 with strobe function-Colt M4 w/Trijicon front sight, single point sling adapter and single point sling, UTG rail and Surfire tac light.

post-26933-127485001802_thumb.jpg

post-26933-127485002554_thumb.jpg

post-26933-127485003846_thumb.jpg

post-26933-127485001802_thumb.jpg

post-26933-127485002554_thumb.jpg

post-26933-127485003846_thumb.jpg

Archived