TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone here into Guns?????????????????

It is a personal decision that every gun-owning, parent must make. My kids understand what a gun can do to a person (use a .45 and a watermelon to make a great demonstration). My pistol is in a lock box. My shotgun is not because we have had three break-ins in my neighborhood in the last month.

Remember, you not only have to think about your kids, but their friends as well. I can't be upstairs in my room all the time so their are times my son (and/or his friends) could be snooping around and find a gun. My son knows better, but his friends??? Who knows for sure?

I am in the camp that if you have a gun, everyone in the house (age appropriate) should understand what it does and how it works.

I agree, If there are children in the house, any and all guns should be locked up and known about by the kids. When I was 18, one of my friends took a gun from another friend's father after seeing it under a bed. It was bragged about and shown off by this friend to everyone. Another took it during a time of depression and told us all, look at what I have, my life sucks!! BANG!!! Nothing could have been done by anyone at the time. I don't think it hit any of us until several minutes after. Brains all over the room. It was my 18th birthday. I haven't enjoyed another since. Kids do the darndest things. Later it came out he was worried about telling his parents that he got a D on a math test. Permanent solution to a very temporary problem. I don't have kids. I do make myself available though to all my friends and their kids though just to hang out and talk as I hate to have to go though this again. Life sucks sometimes, but we need to find ways to get over the bad humps. Enough said. Just my opinion from one of my experiences. I am amazingly bored from a group of house guests that went to sleep at 8 from another club after bashing all my vehicles for not all being all like theirs.............

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A have one of those S & W 9mm as well. Bought it at a Atlanta gun show for 279.00 new! Bought two extra clips also but they were pricey at 25.00 eaqch. New gun for basic protection . My full time carry is a Keltec PF9 in a Comptac minataur holster. My comfortable. Good luck with your sale.

• 2 weeks later...
Yay, this thread came back and is going in a FUN direction finally.

I'll toss up some of my photos of my collection. Those of you who hang out at various gun forums might recognize them... yes I am a picture whore :hysterical:

Springfield XD40 V10 ported. Customized finish in Royal Blue by Canyon Creek Custom

DCX_033Xo.jpg

How do you like the ported XD's? Does it make a significant difference? I was thinking of getting the ported 9mm.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have any experience with the The Ruger LCP compact .380 Auto? It was recommended to me as a concealed carry weapon. Obviously, it is a pretty light round but I am told it is almost unnoticeable weight wise. Thanks in advance

Jim

Does anyone have any experience with the The Ruger LCP compact .380 Auto? It was recommended to me as a concealed carry weapon. Obviously, it is a pretty light round but I am told it is almost unnoticeable weight wise. Thanks in advance

Jim

i have shot with one. pretty light weight for carry, but difficult to "aim" more than a handful of yards (because it's so light)..

our daughter who is a firearms instructor (and highly trained for stressed and armed situations, with an agency that will remain unnamed) has this philosophy (she carries both the lcp and a 9mm glock) - "use the lcp to slow 'em down and the 9mm to put 'em down". remember, the perp's adrenalin (or drugs) will overpower a light weight and even some heavy weights. i carry a 9mm

hope this helps

Jim

A .380 is a good close range (within 10 or so feet) pocket pistol. Ruger has a good name so they can be trusted.

I likewise will not carry smaller than a 9mm. In fact i find my Taurus PT111 to be ideal. It's only drawback is a long trigger pull and a long reset but it doesn't take long to get used to.

H_111B3-thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys. I was looking today at a Glock Model 36, a compact .45 with 6 shot capacity. I am familiar with Glocks so it would be easy to adopt to. It has a narrow design (for a Glock) so should be thin enough.

Jim

Jim

[color="#0000FF]Jim I bought one from Grander mountain last month on sale for under $300.00 also extrta clip, I ran 50 rounds threw it and it is very light and fits my pockit with no notice of it their. Amo is hard to come by for the 380 at the gun rance I bought a box of golden dot, hollow points. My home gun is a CW 9mm Kahr it too is small but not like the LCP which is easy to disamable and clean. It did shoot very well at close range.[/color]

01032009585-1.jpg

plus owner of multiple caliber ccw for almost every state

9mm w( Blacktalons) is the lightest caliber I would use for personel protection

I sport shoot alot both handgun and rifle.

If your gonna carry get trained get comfortable and practice practice and practice..

The ATF is writing this all down..........Grabber has a 38, Infidel has alot of stuff, BanditSRT8 has a really neat looking Springfield XD40 V10!

:ninja:

Thanks, guys. I was looking today at a Glock Model 36, a compact .45 with 6 shot capacity. I am familiar with Glocks so it would be easy to adopt to. It has a narrow design (for a Glock) so should be thin enough.

Jim

Nice C&C weapon without a doubt.

If anyone is looking for a slim 9mm for C&C check out the Taurus 709.

Here is a nice write up on it and by coincidence, its size is compared to a 36 (size of pistols not the ammo :hysterical3:).

http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blogspot.com/2009/07/taurus-pt-709-slim-9mm-i-know-that-i.html

Jim

I carry 2 on my person. Glock 27 with 2 rd. extended grip for 11+1 or in it's place ultra lite s/w .38 right side carry. Cross carry, Bond Arms Snake Slayer derringer .410 number 4 buckshot. Car carry, Keltec SU16 with 30 rd. mag. and eotech site. May seem extreme but I never want to be a victim if I can help it.

Nice C&C weapon without a doubt.

If anyone is looking for a slim 9mm for C&C check out the Taurus 709.

Here is a nice write up on it and by coincidence, its size is compared to a 36 (size of pistols not the ammo :hysterical3:).

http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blogspot.com/2009/07/taurus-pt-709-slim-9mm-i-know-that-i.html

Stump, I just bought a 709 this morning. Dealer only had one left in stock (stainless) and said they had sold quite a few of these slims. So far all the reports he has heard is people love it. Hopefully I'll get some rounds fired between now and next week, but I am impressed with the feel of the pistol not too mention breakdown for cleaning is a breeze. I had been looking as my 45 is just a little too bulky and wanted something smaller. Craig

Stump, I just bought a 709 this morning. Dealer only had one left in stock (stainless) and said they had sold quite a few of these slims. So far all the reports he has heard is people love it. Hopefully I'll get some rounds fired between now and next week, but I am impressed with the feel of the pistol not too mention breakdown for cleaning is a breeze. I had been looking as my 45 is just a little too bulky and wanted something smaller. Craig

Cool! I too have read good reviews on the 709 and I'm curious how it shoots. It seems to be a sweet carry pistol. I bought my PT111 which is just slightly thicker, larger and heavier before I saw the 709, or I might have one as well. I'm really fond of the double strike action of both pistols.

• 1 month later...

We may have kicked this around before but what number of rounds do you prefer to keep around for each caliber weapon you own?

I got the urge today to go through my gun safe and organize all my ammo so I actually knew how much I had in the way of ammo for each weapon.

9mm - 1,550 rounds

.40 cal. - 800 rounds

.45 cal. - 1,150 rounds

.357 Mag cal. - 50 rounds

.38 Special cal. - 150 rounds

.22 cal. - 2,000 rounds

.223 cal. - 200 rounds (I know, kind of light so I just ordered 500 more rounds)

.30-06 cal. - 500 rounds

6mm - 200 rounds

12 gauge - 60 rounds (mostly 00 buck)

I know I had cut back on my practice shooting because ammo was a bit hard to find but I have found a reliable source at reasonable prices (still reload my own “kill ‘em and eat ‘em” rounds).

Despite the numbers above, I have always thought having 1,000 rounds per caliber was a good number.

Your thoughts?

Jim

I agree. I like to have at least a 1000 rounds of everything I have except for my 12gauge and 44 mag that I don't really shoot much. For everything else(.22 , 5.56, 9mm, and .45)minimum of 1000rds. I've gotten back into reloading after a long break due to my indoor range not allowing any ammo except what they sell. That was when I lived in NY. Now here in VA I've found an indoor range that lets you use whatever you want.

Im like youall I carry usually a minimum of 1k per caliber

,22 5k most fun you can have

9mm 5k I reload them and one is an UZI and sprays bullets

357mag 1k

40 cal 2k

.44mag 1.5k I reload them its a desert eagle and likes hot loads

.223 2k+

7.62x39 3k+

12 gauge magnum 100 rounds mostly #4

I used to buy from cheaperthandirt.com but now mostly gunshows... There was a shortage of primers for a while there must be alot of people buying 9mm its in a worldwide shortage...

OK, there are some very gun knowledgible people here on this thread....

here is my question....

If you could have only ONE gun to protect your home (handgun), what would it be?

Factors to consider.......stopping power, ease of use for middle of the road user (not a novice, not an expert)

availibility of ammo, overall cost.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

I was thinking an M&P 9MM........what do you think?

OK, there are some very gun knowledgible people here on this thread....

here is my question....

If you could have only ONE gun to protect your home (handgun), what would it be?

Factors to consider.......stopping power, ease of use for middle of the road user (not a novice, not an expert)

I emailed you the question for concealed carry or home only, but as far as the 9mm vs .45 debate it's like Chevy vs Ford. People get locked on an idea and stick to it. Today's modern bullets make them expand about the same, but NOTHING is more important than shot placement. Until you answer the first question there's no point going further.

I emailed you the question for concealed carry or home only, but as far as the 9mm vs .45 debate it's like Chevy vs Ford. People get locked on an idea and stick to it. Today's modern bullets make them expand about the same, but NOTHING is more important than shot placement. Until you answer the first question there's no point going further.

I live in NJ, there basically is NO concealed carry, this is for home only.

Im like youall I carry usually a minimum of 1k per caliber

,22 5k most fun you can have

9mm 5k I reload them and one is an UZI and sprays bullets

357mag 1k

40 cal 2k

.44mag 1.5k I reload them its a desert eagle and likes hot loads

.223 2k+

7.62x39 3k+

12 gauge magnum 100 rounds mostly #4

I used to buy from cheaperthandirt.com but now mostly gunshows... There was a shortage of primers for a while there must be alot of people buying 9mm its in a worldwide shortage...

Geeez, you'd think you guys were expecting a war or revolution or something. :drool: Ditto for me regarding food, water, fuel, gold, silver, guns and ammo, lot's of it.

If you have a local indoor range that let's you rent guns, that would be a good start. Reliability is number one but a close second is a comfortable feel and a natural shooter. My first handgun was a Glock 17 and that's what I keep close by in the bedroom. I have small to medium hands and the Glock is not a natural pointer for me but I can hit my target up close so it doesn't matter that much. Plus my wife can shoot it pretty well. For CC I just switched from a Kahr CW9 which is a DAO like a Glock to a Kimber Ultra Carry II(.45 ACP) with a 3' barrel and laser grips. I can shoot the Kimber much better than the Glock or the Kahr. The grip and the single action of a 1911 works better for me than the double action only. So if you can try out guns at the range, that would be the best thing to do IMO. Ordering a gun that has great reviews and looks great can be quite a disappointment if you've never shot it. Even though my Glock is not my favorite gun to shoot, it's the most reliable. If you really want reliability, get a revolver.

Before I answer your question, I want to mention something that's been talked about in this thread. The thing that houses the cartridges for your handguns are NOT called "Clips". They're called "Magazines". Ok, I feel better now.........

To answer your question. You asked if "I" had only one choice of handgun, what would it be. My choice would be a Sig Sauer P-229 in .40.

Factors to consider:

Stopping power: The .40 round is a street proven round. I like it much better than the 9mm for personal protection.

Ease of use for Amateur: The Sig P-229 is well balanced and doesn't bite hard for the "recoil shy" shooters. It can be had in several trigger handling choices. DA/SA, DAO to fit your needs.

It also doesn't have any external safeties to fumble with under stress. The newer models come with a light rail and one can even go as far as equipping their pistol with a red dot laser pointer.

Ammo Availability: The .40 round can be found at most Walmarts, Dicks, Sports Authority, Gander, and privately owned gun stores.

I've been CCW'ing a Sig Sauer P-239 in .40 since 1997. That pistol is only a 7+1 sub-compact single stack pistol. It carries well and fires even better. I have standard sights on it and it's in the SA/DA configuration.

As you can see, i'm a fan of the Sig Sauer line. I currently own (4) Sig pistols.

I'm late to this party, but willing to add my personal experience as OPINION...

I started by renting different handguns at the range where I went shooting, liked some, and disliked some, which I will NOT mention. I will tell you this, my first purchase (which in NJ is pure hell, though i kinda get it) was a REVOLVER. I bought a Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum - Model 767P. The "P" means plus, which means its a 7-shooter, not a 6-shooter. Now, I know, the marksmen here will say: "why would you need 7 shots of 357 MAG, the first shot should stop just about anything. YES, thats true, but Why not? Hey, we all own cars with huge horsepower, when less would certainly get you there... NOW, whats nice about a 357 mag as a first gun is its VERSATILITY. You can go to the range and shoot .38, .38 Special ( a bit hotter), and of course .357 MAG (seriously HOT). So you can go to the range and shoot lots without going broke. When I keep it LOADED for home protection, in a very safe "drawer safe" (with hidden fingertip combo lock), its got FEDERAL HYDRO-SHOCK .357 MAG in it. They are clearly labeled "home protection only", and for good reason. When i did fire them at the range, just for shits and giggles, FIRE came out the barrel... And the sound was just deafening, even with good ear protection. Every guy in his firing stall poked their head out and looked down and mouthed "What the F was that". So, yeah, they are for protection, and I pity anyone who is on the receiving end of that particular round of ammo.

My second piece is a Beretta 92FS, in stainless, with Hogue grips, and I just love this gun. Its deadly accurate, predictable, and ultra reliable. THOUSANDS of rounds have gone through it with NEVER a jam or misfire. Yes, it was pricey, but worth it. I could sell it for what I paid for it (maybe even more), over 10 years later...

So, now my general personal conclusion... If you need ONE, for "home protection", and you cant/dont want a shorty shotgun in close range, you cant beat a .357 MAG. I would forego the extra 5-6 rounds that the 9mm can carry for the stopping power of 7 rounds of .357 MAG.

I'm late to this party, but willing to add my personal experience as OPINION...

I started by renting different handguns at the range where I went shooting, liked some, and disliked some, which I will NOT mention. I will tell you this, my first purchase (which in NJ is pure hell, though i kinda get it) was a REVOLVER. I bought a Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum - Model 767P. The "P" means plus, which means its a 7-shooter, not a 6-shooter. Now, I know, the marksmen here will say: "why would you need 7 shots of 357 MAG, the first shot should stop just about anything. YES, thats true, but Why not? Hey, we all own cars with huge horsepower, when less would certainly get you there... NOW, whats nice about a 357 mag as a first gun is its VERSATILITY. You can go to the range and shoot .38, .38 Special ( a bit hotter), and of course .357 MAG (seriously HOT). So you can go to the range and shoot lots without going broke. When I keep it LOADED for home protection, in a very safe "drawer safe" (with hidden fingertip combo lock), its got FEDERAL HYDRO-SHOCK .357 MAG in it. They are clearly labeled "home protection only", and for good reason. When i did fire them at the range, just for shits and giggles, FIRE came out the barrel... And the sound was just deafening, even with good ear protection. Every guy in his firing stall poked their head out and looked down and mouthed "What the F was that". So, yeah, they are for protection, and I pity anyone who is on the receiving end of that particular round of ammo.

My second piece is a Beretta 92FS, in stainless, with Hogue grips, and I just love this gun. Its deadly accurate, predictable, and ultra reliable. THOUSANDS of rounds have gone through it with NEVER a jam or misfire. Yes, it was pricey, but worth it. I could sell it for what I paid for it (maybe even more), over 10 years later...

So, now my general personal conclusion... If you need ONE, for "home protection", and you cant/dont want a shorty shotgun in close range, you cant beat a .357 MAG. I would forego the extra 5-6 rounds that the 9mm can carry for the stopping power of 7 rounds of .357 MAG.

If using a 357 for home protection, be careful with folks in other rooms. Firing power si the name of teh game and no revolver beats a pistol with 12-14 rounds in it.

Sig P229 is an excellent choice, either in 9mm or .40.....add a laser grip to it and you are set to go!

Archived