TEAM SHELBY FORUM

High horsepower transmission question...

I am restomodding (is that a word yet?) a 1965 vert. She has been blasted down to the bare metal, had any rust issues fixed, and is currently having a 2 x 3 tubular subframe welded in. I have a Blue Moon racing IRS and a Sean Hyland Motorsport IFS fitted, and a GT500 crate engine (800 hp, reworked internals, KB Supercharger) shipping today. Question is - what to put behind it in terms of transmission??

Additionally, we have added tubs (no fender flaring or minimal if I can't avoid it) to let me squeeze about 12" of rubber underneath it (can I say that here :hysterical: ).

Any suggestions? Looking for mostly street use, but she may see the strip a time or two in her life (if I can keep from embarassing myself.)

Thanks.

I would imagine that the trans already behind that engine would be good if you wanted a manual. If you want an auto, you can go with an AODE/4r70w which are easily built up to handle 1000hp so you'd be fine there as well. You can even get the auto in full manual so you still have to do the shifting if you want. :)

I would imagine that the trans already behind that engine would be good if you wanted a manual. If you want an auto, you can go with an AODE/4r70w which are easily built up to handle 1000hp so you'd be fine there as well. You can even get the auto in full manual so you still have to do the shifting if you want. :)

Thanks. There's nothing behind the engine (dumped the stock 1965 auto trans). Who would be good to go to on the AOD?

I was thinking about a Tremec TKO 600 for the transmission, but not sure on the clutch, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks. There's nothing behind the engine (dumped the stock 1965 auto trans). Who would be good to go to on the AOD?

I was thinking about a Tremec TKO 600 for the transmission, but not sure on the clutch, etc.

I have a 1968 mustang coupe that was transplanted with a Borg Warner T5. Of course, there are the Tremecs out there. This would be a good choice as well.

With my transplant, I coupled the T5 to my stock 68 302. All the bellhousing bolts line up to the early model small block.

Mind you, I used the T5 bellhousing. I also used the early model clutch fork and had to place a spacer at the mounting location

of the fork fulcrum to allow for correct geometry. Also used a 28oz balanced factor flywheel from Racer Walsh that was drilled for a 10.5 inch diaphragm style Ram Clutch, rather than an early model 10inch long and beck style clutch. Used the Hurst short throw shifter for the 89GT Mustang Tranny and amazingly enough the shifter stick emerged darn near out the center of the floor location of the original shifter. Just a slight amount of trimming of the tranny tunnel. Aslo used the Energy Suspension poly trans mount and needed to purchase the modified tranny mount that jives with the early model mustang tranny mount bolt locations, but accomadates the late model 5-spd. Once complete, my early model driveshaft spanned the correct distance to the rear diff. Sacremento Mustang offers all the conversion stuff....and it works. Result: Overdrive and Better street manners. Tremec would be a fantastic choice.

ItalianStallion

I am restomodding (is that a word yet?) a 1965 vert. She has been blasted down to the bare metal, had any rust issues fixed, and is currently having a 2 x 3 tubular subframe welded in. I have a Blue Moon racing IRS and a Sean Hyland Motorsport IFS fitted, and a GT500 crate engine (800 hp, reworked internals, KB Supercharger) shipping today. Question is - what to put behind it in terms of transmission??

Additionally, we have added tubs (no fender flaring or minimal if I can't avoid it) to let me squeeze about 12" of rubber underneath it (can I say that here :hysterical: ).

Any suggestions? Looking for mostly street use, but she may see the strip a time or two in her life (if I can keep from embarassing myself.)

Thanks.

Hi there Rob, post some pics of her progress and good luck with it.

Be great to see how it is coming along. Cheers.

Oh and where did u score the crate engine from??? Becoming increasingly popular over here in Australia.

I don't have any personal recommendations on who to go to with the AOD/4r70w, though if I had to make a choice I'd go with Lentech! The best I could tell you is to do a search for companies that build racing transmissions and talk to them. Be sure to also talk to several customers of these various companies and get their take on the transmissions they've received. You can start off with companies such as:

Lentech - http://lentechautomatics.com/aodhome.html

TCI - http://www.tciauto.com/

Do a search for race transmissions and you'll find plenty of others. I don't have any other recommendations because if I were to do this, I would do the build myself and just buy the better clutches and hardened input shafts and the like from all of these manufacturers. Good luck with whatever you choose. It sounds like a fun project either way. In the long run I think the automatic will be your best bet unless you like replacing clutches on a regular basis. I built my C6 in my '70 Mach 1 specifically for racing nearly 10 years ago and haven't touched the transmission since, though I am on my second round of bearings in the engine and soon to be on my second camshaft as well. Racing is tough on components.

Archived