TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My wife thinks I am NUTS..........

I have spent around 6-8 hours detailing my car the past 2 weekends and I am not done yet. I washed it last Sunday really well, then I used a clay bar on the hood and roof. After the Clay I put 2 coats of Zaino Z-2 on. I have not driven her since then, I want to finish first. Yesterday I did the clay bar on both front fenders and completed 2 coats of Zaino Z-2 on them. Today I did both doors including the inside jambs, clay bar and Zaino for both. Next weekend I will attempt to finish, this will end up being like a 12-14 hour deal when done. After doing the door jambs I realized I have to do the inside of the hood and all the jambs in the engine compartment, that should be fun.

Anyway, my car barely has 2000 miles and the amount of rail dust was crazy. This is the first time I have clayed an entire car, it is pretty time consuming. I usually just hit spots with the clay. I guess if my car were black I would not even see the rail dust, I am glad I can because I want it gone. Anyway, after all this work I am going to maintain Zaino on this beast to limit the amount of times I have to do this going forward.

So far she is looking good, I will post pic's when I am done. :happy feet:

Am I the only one that does this, am I nuts like my wife says????????? :talkhand:

It is definately worth the time. When you go that slow and see every little mark on the paint that will not come off with soap, but comes off with the clay bar it is amazing. I would do it all over again knowing how much time it would take.

Now I just need to get that Indoor cover so my hard work keeps her clean at longer intervals when she is in the Garage.

Well your wife must be right since that appears to be your name! :hysterical:

It took me about 7 hours to do the entire car. Wash, clay bar, zaino.

[/quote

If the car was not white it may take 7 hours, but after claying an area I look it over well to make sure nothing was missed, many areas needed extra passes of the clay, I would not have noticed most of these if the car was not white. Also I took my time, no rush chilling out with just me and the car.

[/quote

If the car was not white it may take 7 hours, but after claying an area I look it over well to make sure nothing was missed, many areas needed extra passes of the clay, I would not have noticed most of these if the car was not white. Also I took my time, no rush chilling out with just me and the car.

When I did mine the part that had the most crud coming off that you could see sticking to the clay bar was the white stripes. I could not get over how much stuff was sticking to them. You couldn't see it from looking at them, but you sure could see the black stuff coming off that stuck to the clay bar and afterwards the stripes were really brite white!

I have spent around 6-8 hours detailing my car the past 2 weekends and I am not done yet. I washed it last Sunday really well, then I used a clay bar on the hood and roof. After the Clay I put 2 coats of Zaino Z-2 on. I have not driven her since then, I want to finish first. Yesterday I did the clay bar on both front fenders and completed 2 coats of Zaino Z-2 on them. Today I did both doors including the inside jambs, clay bar and Zaino for both. Next weekend I will attempt to finish, this will end up being like a 12-14 hour deal when done. After doing the door jambs I realized I have to do the inside of the hood and all the jambs in the engine compartment, that should be fun.

Anyway, my car barely has 2000 miles and the amount of rail dust was crazy. This is the first time I have clayed an entire car, it is pretty time consuming. I usually just hit spots with the clay. I guess if my car were black I would not even see the rail dust, I am glad I can because I want it gone. Anyway, after all this work I am going to maintain Zaino on this beast to limit the amount of times I have to do this going forward.

So far she is looking good, I will post pic's when I am done. :happy feet:

Am I the only one that does this, am I nuts like my wife says????????? :talkhand:

Don't feel bad...my wife thinks I'm nuts as well. She says I spend more time "rubbing on that car than I do with her. :talkhand: "

She's right....

I clayed my SGT right after I took it home and have used nothing but Zaino on it since.

post-9552-1214191965.jpg

post-9552-1214191965.jpg

Yup. Nuts. She's right. Get over it.

I had some polka-dots from tire stuff splatter on the side right after a cleaning session. At a gas station, I took a towel out of the trunk and wiped off the tire shine from the sides of the car, and some guy at another pump said, "DUDE! Leave the car, alone, it's perfect! What are you doing?"

I tried to explain that there were spots on it (there were), but he didn't see them and thought I was completely off my rocker. He actually said I needed help.

Nah, you're not nuts. If I had that amount of spare time I'd be doing the same thing at some point! I'm lucky to be able to hit mine with a little spray detailing polish now and then. That's all I've done since new, except I did put some wax on the front end and fender lips. I've yet to try the clay bar thing.

Where are those pics!

My girlfried at the time caught me at work on a slow day with my Bullitt od the rack waxing the underside,Is that nuts?Probably,But it could take another form so I am good with it,Where's my clay bar,I said WHERE"S MY CLAYBAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!ME!!!!!!! :hysterical:

I would say that you're nuts. In the six months that I have owned my car, I have run it through a car wash twice.

Carwash????? :slapfight:

You're nuts....just like the (almost) rest of us! :happy feet:

You guys aren't nuts at all, at least as it pertains to caring for your babies! Plus, I agree that it's a great workout & the results are amazing & well worth it (even if you're the only one who appreciates it)! It's also something the wife or even kids can do with you (as long as they are old enough to show respect to the car). For pure enjoyment (not a job) I spent about 12 hours once w/my ex detailing his Lotus (concourse detail) and about 6 hours making a friend's Ford GT look incredible. I LOVED IT!!! I got to play w/tools as well as clean the cars. Doesn't get much better than that! LOL!

For me, I can't wait to get them out on the road, let them stretch their legs, get 'em dirty... But there's something equally enjoyable about spending some "quiet time" with them, getting to know every part of them, cleaning them, massaging them, touching them all over, and making them even more beautiful than they were when you first laid eyes on them. (Being a female, I'm refraining from using the word "her".) :)

You spend time with, respect, and take care of things that you love. I love hearing that you guys are taking such great care of your Shelbys. Much better than hearing about scrapes, dings, and accidents...

MJ

I detail mine the same way. I usually don't have time to do the whole car at one sitting. And it usually sits for many days between driving. So, I will wax the top areas one night. Then maybe the front fenders and bumper another. Then the doors... and so on. Then I'll pick a night and do the engine bay, or maybe the door jams... I do most of my detailing in the garage at night. It's relaxing to go out there around 10 or 11, turn on some tunes and just putter around with the car...

Maybe I'm crazy too????

• 5 weeks later...
You guys aren't nuts at all, at least as it pertains to caring for your babies! Plus, I agree that it's a great workout & the results are amazing & well worth it (even if you're the only one who appreciates it)! It's also something the wife or even kids can do with you (as long as they are old enough to show respect to the car). For pure enjoyment (not a job) I spent about 12 hours once w/my ex detailing his Lotus (concourse detail) and about 6 hours making a friend's Ford GT look incredible. I LOVED IT!!! I got to play w/tools as well as clean the cars. Doesn't get much better than that! LOL!

For me, I can't wait to get them out on the road, let them stretch their legs, get 'em dirty... But there's something equally enjoyable about spending some "quiet time" with them, getting to know every part of them, cleaning them, massaging them, touching them all over, and making them even more beautiful than they were when you first laid eyes on them. (Being a female, I'm refraining from using the word "her".) :)

You spend time with, respect, and take care of things that you love. I love hearing that you guys are taking such great care of your Shelbys. Much better than hearing about scrapes, dings, and accidents...

MJ

Wow MJ what a lucky car you have!!!! :drool::poke:

You sound like me. I spent most of last weekend putting on 3-4 coats (Z-2 & Z-5 and then gloss enhancer and then Z-8 grand finale spray seal. The car looks awesome, but yes my wife does think I'm crazy.

Dave

Yep; you're nuts.

Seriously, until I bought my black SGT, I didn't even know what a clay bar was. I spent my entire Memorial Day weekend clay barring my F-150 SuperCrew, including the fiberglass tonneau cover. Yes, it is time-consuming, but it is worth every minute.

Post pics...

+1

but nuts in a good way .... as a matter of fact i am going to get nutty right now and log off and spend about 3 hours on my shelby right now!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

yes you're nuts

My wife thinks the same thing

she asked me last weekend if the engine compartment on her minivan was that clean :fool:

Yesterday she witnessed me removing all of my wheels, washing and waxing the the backside of the wheels

she walked away shaking her head

yes you're nuts

My wife thinks the same thing

she asked me last weekend if the engine compartment on her minivan was that clean :fool:

Yesterday she witnessed me removing all of my wheels, washing and waxing the the backside of the wheels

she walked away shaking her head

:hysterical: My wife does the same thing. I wish I had more cars, it would drive her crazy. :hysterical:

My wife can't say anything...

My daughter (15 going on 30 ish) LOVES detailing "OUR SHELBY"... Uh yeah, righhht... and this may sound silly but since we have both been detailing THE car its great personal time for father / daughter talks <did I mention she thinks its "OUR SHELBY">

Jim B

Archived