TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What the heck are these things & what do they do???

magrag

Put my Corsa exhaust on this afternoon and they sound GREAT!!!!

But while up on the rack I was looking things over and I spotted these heavy looking cast iron things under

the axle tubes (one on each side) on the bottom near the shocks bottom mount.

Anyone know what they are and what they do????

Thanks

Dampers.Not sure but could be either noise or suspension related.Call Ford and tell them you need one.Then you will get a name for it.Hopefully it is not just called a generic damper or you will still be puzzled.

• 2 weeks later...

I took them off my car, to save weight. The older SN95 Mustangs used to have them on the v8 8.8" rears, to help dampen noise. It was once said that for different gear ratios you should reduce the weight of them, because they are tuned to certain frequencies and ratios, I don't know if this is true or not, but its another reason to drop 10lbs if you have also changed the gears.

• 1 month later...
I took them off my car, to save weight. The older SN95 Mustangs used to have them on the v8 8.8" rears, to help dampen noise. It was once said that for different gear ratios you should reduce the weight of them, because they are tuned to certain frequencies and ratios, I don't know if this is true or not, but its another reason to drop 10lbs if you have also changed the gears.

I took these vibration dampers off when upgradind rear suspension to Steeda compnents. Went for a ride. no noticable change for now in that respect. To my knowledge unsprung weight must be reduced to maximum. The rigid axle is already much heavier than an IRS suspension, so no need to add 10 lbs to that.

I keep both hear open to check if I hear anything special during my next rides.

Anyone else may share their experience with the removal of these vibration dampers?

Archived