TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Weird discoloration of stripes

I have recently noticed that my stripes have some sort of stain. They appear to be small yellow-brownish splotches all over. It is mostly on the roof and on top of the trunk lid. I have tried washing it, buffing it, and even tried a rubbing compound. Scrubbing it hard seemed to mellow out the color a bit, but it will not get rid of it completely. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this type of stain before and had any success in getting them out. I have heard that denatured alcohol was good for cleaning really tough dirt and grime, but am hesitant before using that on my car.

I have recently noticed that my stripes have some sort of stain. They appear to be small yellow-brownish splotches all over. It is mostly on the roof and on top of the trunk lid. I have tried washing it, buffing it, and even tried a rubbing compound. Scrubbing it hard seemed to mellow out the color a bit, but it will not get rid of it completely. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this type of stain before and had any success in getting them out. I have heard that denatured alcohol was good for cleaning really tough dirt and grime, but am hesitant before using that on my car.

from what i read in other threads about the stripe stains. they mention that the metalic paint on the stripes have tiny metal flakes as with any other metalic paint but the stripes dont have as good of protective coating to prevent curosion(i cant spell). they been saying that the yellow-brownish stain is accually the metalic material in the paint thats rusting. my stripes are starting to do the same thing.

i also have faded spots on them too. i'm guessing those are from bird droppings because i dont have a garage or carport to park my car under. i clean them off but the damage already occurs pretty quick.

when i get my hail damage fixed with stripes replaced i'm goin to get them to shoot some clearcoat over the new stripes so this wont happen again....hopefully

i must be hexed because i'm always finding bird poo on my car but they dont land on the other vehicles around me. just my car. oh and one morning after work i found a dead half eaten earth worm on my front bumper. a bird must have lost grip of it and just happen to be flying over my car.

:worm:

I stopped by a Ford dealer today to have their body shop look at my stripes. He said he already replaced three sets of stripes on three Shelbys because of the staining problem. Its fully covered under the Shelby warranty. He took some pictures, took down my VIN and he then will call Shelby for approval. Then, hopefully, they will send him a new stripe kit for my car, which according to him are a better quality stripe with better clearcoat to hopefully alleviate the problem in the future. I will update this post when I get anymore info.

Well that is good to hear. I will probably wait a couple more months and then schedule an appointment with my Ford dealer to get them fixed. I will also get my hood scoop fixed at that time as well. My only concern is if the Ford dealership turns it down saying it is Shelby's problem and not wanting to deal with it whatsoever, but I will see. Just out of curiosity should I get my entire car clear coated afterwards? How much does this cost?

I stopped by a Ford dealer today to have their body shop look at my stripes. He said he already replaced three sets of stripes on three Shelbys because of the staining problem. Its fully covered under the Shelby warranty. He took some pictures, took down my VIN and he then will call Shelby for approval. Then, hopefully, they will send him a new stripe kit for my car, which according to him are a better quality stripe with better clearcoat to hopefully alleviate the problem in the future. I will update this post when I get anymore info.

I know StratGirl just had HER stripes replaced with the new stuff. She told me they were shinier, and the scoop doesn't really match them as well anymore.

Jer

Well that is good to hear. I will probably wait a couple more months and then schedule an appointment with my Ford dealer to get them fixed. I will also get my hood scoop fixed at that time as well. My only concern is if the Ford dealership turns it down saying it is Shelby's problem and not wanting to deal with it whatsoever, but I will see. Just out of curiosity should I get my entire car clear coated afterwards? How much does this cost?

Seems a bad idea to me to clearcoat the entire car including vinyl stripes. What happens if you have to remove and replace the stripes again after that? You would be peeling up clearcoat along the stripe edges.

• 5 weeks later...
Seems a bad idea to me to clearcoat the entire car including vinyl stripes. What happens if you have to remove and replace the stripes again after that? You would be peeling up clearcoat along the stripe edges.

Mine are having the same problem. Trunk and rear bumper facia striping........Looks like sh__!

Archived