TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any early complaints?

Three Cobras

My car has acquired a chirp/squeak that is either in the suspension on the right side or in the exhaust system hangers on the right. It occurs when the suspension compresses slightly on slightly bumpy road surfaces, but does not occur when I hit a road joint or pot hole (small ones of course, I wouldn't hit a big one!). It does not seem to occur when the car is dead cold or has been sitting awhile, that's why I thought it could be related to something like the exhaust system heating up. It sounds most like a medium sized bird chirping (honest! It ain't no sparrow). Any thoughts appreciated.

I had a rear wheel dinged up in delivery, the new one was installed yesterday. Here is what I learned that may be useful to others. Just because I know, and the Service Manager knows, that there is a wheel pressure sensor inside, doesn't mean the mechanic knows. The bead breaker can damage the sensor or the holding strap (more about this in a moment) when dismounting the tire. BEWARE. MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. Remember, this is new for '07 for Mustangs and most are probably not aware of it.

The sensor is a blue plastic package about 4" long, 1" wide, 3/4" thick and curved to fit the rim innermost diameter. The package is held to the center of the rim (inside the tire of course) by a stainless steel band. The band ends are crimped together using a banding technique much the same as stacks of lumber are held together by metal bands with a clamping splice piece. If you are moving the sensor to another wheel, or if the strap is broken by the bead breaker, you will need a replacement strap. You should have one handy before starting work since they are most likely not in stock at the dealer. The replacement is essentially a super-long hose clamp from what the mechanic tells me. If the sensor fails or is broken (fortunately not in my case, but probably not for lack of trying) you will have to have the proper tool to teach the new sensor to work with your car.

These things are important to know if you are going to change your wheels, or if you are going to get a winter set of tires mounted on another set of wheels. Oh, you DID NOTICE the owner's manual and door jamb sticker say that Ford does not recommend using the OEM tires at temperatures below 40 degrees, didn't you? Of course you did.

My car has acquired a chirp/squeak that is either in the suspension on the right side or in the exhaust system hangers on the right. It occurs when the suspension compresses slightly on slightly bumpy road surfaces, but does not occur when I hit a road joint or pot hole (small ones of course, I wouldn't hit a big one!). It does not seem to occur when the car is dead cold or has been sitting awhile, that's why I thought it could be related to something like the exhaust system heating up. It sounds most like a medium sized bird chirping (honest! It ain't no sparrow). Any thoughts appreciated.

I had a rear wheel dinged up in delivery, the new one was installed yesterday. Here is what I learned that may be useful to others. Just because I know, and the Service Manager knows, that there is a wheel pressure sensor inside, doesn't mean the mechanic knows. The bead breaker can damage the sensor or the holding strap (more about this in a moment) when dismounting the tire. BEWARE. MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. Remember, this is new for '07 for Mustangs and most are probably not aware of it.

The sensor is a blue plastic package about 4" long, 1" wide, 3/4" thick and curved to fit the rim innermost diameter. The package is held to the center of the rim (inside the tire of course) by a stainless steel band. The band ends are crimped together using a banding technique much the same as stacks of lumber are held together by metal bands with a clamping splice piece. If you are moving the sensor to another wheel, or if the strap is broken by the bead breaker, you will need a replacement strap. You should have one handy before starting work since they are most likely not in stock at the dealer. The replacement is essentially a super-long hose clamp from what the mechanic tells me. If the sensor fails or is broken (fortunately not in my case, but probably not for lack of trying) you will have to have the proper tool to teach the new sensor to work with your car.

These things are important to know if you are going to change your wheels, or if you are going to get a winter set of tires mounted on another set of wheels. Oh, you DID NOTICE the owner's manual and door jamb sticker say that Ford does not recommend using the OEM tires at temperatures below 40 degrees, didn't you? Of course you did.

there is no traction in cold weather per test drivers before production

I had the same type of noise with a truck. It was an exhaust hanger that squeaked. I think I put some sort of lube on it and it stopped. It may have been the exact wrong thing to do, but it worked.

Guest evilchris

I had the same wheel problem. I have the 64W Pollished bullets on my 07 GT. Dinged on one spoke. Dealer took the car in, brought it back out with " we need to order a new strap and a new tool ". He told me it's *impossible* to remove the strap and that they needed a special Ford tool to install the new one. Don't know if he's full of it or not. Still waiting.

70SCJ -

That's what I was thinking. There are two rubber mounts - one on each side - holding the exhaust pipe near the X-pipe. I shot them with silicone spray last night. Seemed to work for a while, but pulling into work this morning it was back. Hard to miss - pretty loud.

The only way I could duplicate mine at a stand still was to actually get under the truck and shake the exhaust back and forth. Standing on the bumper and jumping up and down only made me angry and look stupid.

that is what they implied; they said drive it at your own risk when it is cold and I don't mean the snow

Wow. I imagine that traction will be a bigger issue at low temperatures, but I hope the tires don't crack and fall apart when it gets cold. I mean, driving a Shelby in the snow sounds like a particularly bad idea, but I KNOW I'm going to want to take it out this winter when the roads are nice and dry....

Wow. I imagine that traction will be a bigger issue at low temperatures, but I hope the tires don't crack and fall apart when it gets cold. I mean, driving a Shelby in the snow sounds like a particularly bad idea, but I KNOW I'm going to want to take it out this winter when the roads are nice and dry....

In cold temps, the tires will hold up structurally-- but the tread compound firms up, becomes like hard plastic at temps around high 30's F and below. Trust me, don't do it--- I made this mistake once with a T-Bird w/Goodyr Eagle's going around a gradual right sweeper and almost slid left of center into a gravel truck, scared the cr@p out of me.

Even on dry pavement, even if the tires are warmed up, it's not advisable to drive with the summer tires if the road surface is high 30's or below.

My Shelby won't arrive until ~Nov., I do plan to do a bit of cold weather commuting in the Shelby anyway using a set of extra wheels with snows. 68KR07Shelby or anyone else: my question is- how costly to order four sets of giant hose clamp, straps, sensors, etc..... to outfit the dedicated winter wheels?

Or will it be less overall hassle & expense to bite the bullet every Thanksgiving and have my Service dept. break the bead and have them pull the pressure-sensor parts out of the (stock) summer wheels and install them into each winter wheel, then reverse process around April? thanks for any opinions on this.

Sorry to wander off from the original thread topic.... a good topic it is!

Lou's words were essentially the same advice I got from Tire Rack. FWIW, they did say they've got 13 different wheels available for the car that have the deep dish (probably to clear the 14" Brembos the tech speculated). Now before y'all get wound up about that number of choices, I went on-line (tirerack.com) and looked at them. Many of them are listed at prices around $700 +/-. EACH. Brother, you're a better man than I if you can afford those. Not sure if anyone has a line on the OEM rims for comparison, or whether they would be available from one of the vendors on this site at a discount. My plan is to get at least one extra rim and mount a spare - probably an all-weather tire - and keep it in the car permanently in place of the rubber in a can flat fixer currently installed.

Tire Rack suggested that some folks get the rim / winter tire combo and forego the pressure sensors, living with the idiot light for the few months the tires are on the car.

FWIW.

Still no solution on the squeak. It definitiely does not occur until the car is warmed up.

Sheesh, You guys sound like you cant drive this thing in the snow if you have to.

Ive driven my 04 with the F1's mind you all over the place with out a problem. Once the next winter came (one too many 2nd gear burns!), I purchased some Kuhmo ECSTA ASX's and they worked GREAT! My road gets plowed last, And there is a little over 1/8mile to the main road.

Sure it takes a light foot. But its not like your on a tight rope. But if the snow is too deep, Its just to deep. Even blizzaks cant help ya there.

Archived