TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Octane in Ohio

Read an article online the other day that 46 states have inspectors that routinely test gas stations to ensure they are selling the octane that is advertised. Ohio also has a law but it is not enforced. When Ohio instituted the progam about a year ago they assigned the duty to the Dept. of Agriculture. But there are no funds available so there are no tests or enforecment. Buyer beware when you think you are buying high octane gas in Ohio.

Another online article today about octane. High octane sales are at their lowest sale in 25 years. In 1997 only 16 percent of fuel sold was premium. Now it is only 8 percent. And with high gas prices, especially for premium, some people are using premium every other tank or just using mid grade or less. How much longer will refineries and oil companies keep making premium for only 8% of the market and dropping? A possible solution for us would be to obtain the Bullitt calibration if necessary. The article is on Yahoo Finance if anyone cares to read.

I read an article on the declining premium sales.I guess it will really have a premium price in the future.Most every turbo or supercharged car needs it that i have ever seen.Maybe the Ecoboost series will keep premium alive for us.

That is a really good point! The Ecoboost with direct injection might decrease the demand for premium. Detonation occurs on the compression stoke when the gasoline/air mixture ignites prematurely due to the heat from compression. I don't know how fast this heat dissipates at the top of the compression stroke. I don't know any of the details about direct injection in terms of when the fuel is injected versus the spark and how the fuel is mixed with the compressed air charge. If the heat of compression dissipates very quickly, it might be possible to get by with a lower octane fuel. Interesting question......

That is a really good point! The Ecoboost with direct injection might decrease the demand for premium. Detonation occurs on the compression stoke when the gasoline/air mixture ignites prematurely due to the heat from compression. I don't know how fast this heat dissipates at the top of the compression stroke. I don't know any of the details about direct injection in terms of when the fuel is injected versus the spark and how the fuel is mixed with the compressed air charge. If the heat of compression dissipates very quickly, it might be possible to get by with a lower octane fuel. Interesting question......

I don't know the particulars of the design either but I bet that Ford is not designing an engine to run on premium in today's market.

Archived