TEAM SHELBY FORUM

parts selection for the motor, how,

gregsdart

First off i would like to thankyou very much for engineering and guiding the building of the Shelby mustang!

As a soon to be mustang GT owner, i am interested in how the engine parts were selected for durability. I am one of those that may not be able to purchase a new Shelby(but maybe someday!), but would like to build up the performance of the GT i will recieve in the fall.

I have a Saleen supercharger on order, and at some point want to upgrade the engine internals to take the power that this unit is capable of building.

I greatly respect the engineering at Ford, and as my best source for what will live and what won't , I am interested in learning all i can about the strength of the various blocks, and crank/rod/ piston assemblys, as well as any special gaskets or other items used in designing a motor that will live a long and happy life producing 500+ hp.

Any available information would be much appreciated, especially on the aluminum block that will be in my GT.

On a personal note, my quest for a mustang started in 1969, when i wanted to order a Boss 302 while still in Viet Nam. That dream was never fullfilled, and now, 36 years later, i will finally get to own a new mustang, and in my opinion the best ever built!

My name, Gregsdart, comes from owning and racing an 8 second Dodge Dart. It has been a lot of fun building that car into what it is today, but the call to Mustang country couldn't be ignored any longer!! Thankyou for your time,

Greg

• 6 months later...

First off i would like to thankyou very much for engineering and guiding the building of the Shelby mustang!

As a soon to be mustang GT owner, i am interested in how the engine parts were selected for durability. I am one of those that may not be able to purchase a new Shelby(but maybe someday!), but would like to build up the performance of the GT i will recieve in the fall.

I have a Saleen supercharger on order, and at some point want to upgrade the engine internals to take the power that this unit is capable of building.

I greatly respect the engineering at Ford, and as my best source for what will live and what won't , I am interested in learning all i can about the strength of the various blocks, and crank/rod/ piston assemblys, as well as any special gaskets or other items used in designing a motor that will live a long and happy life producing 500+ hp.

Any available information would be much appreciated, especially on the aluminum block that will be in my GT.

On a personal note, my quest for a mustang started in 1969, when i wanted to order a Boss 302 while still in Viet Nam. That dream was never fullfilled, and now, 36 years later, i will finally get to own a new mustang, and in my opinion the best ever built!

My name, Gregsdart, comes from owning and racing an 8 second Dodge Dart. It has been a lot of fun building that car into what it is today, but the call to Mustang country couldn't be ignored any longer!! Thankyou for your time,

Greg

Good luck with your GT. Another Mustang fan.

Archived